Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:27 am “How did I get it? I followed the rules!”

5 minutes at 20 feet.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... q5dg_PRJ9I
Good article, and better than the "the Trumpkins are the reason why we are stuck in this pandemic" mantra. So many places in this world, and even this country, where Trump doesn't hold sway (who knew there were so many Trumpers in COVID-ravaged Los Angeles, as well as Germany and France) and they are basically in the same boat we are - we can argue about the size of the boat, but we're all still stuck all the same. You can see the seasonality of it and the article's good at pointing out why. You're hearing more and more about people getting together indoors and even if they are wearing masks (and honestly, there are plenty that aren't wearing masks indoors with extended families) there is tons of spread. Indoor spaces are just real difficult, masks or not.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:45 am
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:27 am “How did I get it? I followed the rules!”

5 minutes at 20 feet.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... q5dg_PRJ9I
Good article, and better than the "the Trumpkins are the reason why we are stuck in this pandemic" mantra. So many places in this world, and even this country, where Trump doesn't hold sway (who knew there were so many Trumpers in COVID-ravaged Los Angeles, as well as Germany and France) and they are basically in the same boat we are - we can argue about the size of the boat, but we're all still stuck all the same. You can see the seasonality of it and the article's good at pointing out why. You're hearing more and more about people getting together indoors and even if they are wearing masks (and honestly, there are plenty that aren't wearing masks indoors with extended families) there is tons of spread. Indoor spaces are just real difficult, masks or not.
Yep. But there’s still a reason we are far and away the worst hit and part of that is so obviously Trump driven there shouldn’t really be a need to explain it or defend it.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:50 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:45 am

Yep. But there’s still a reason we are far and away the worst hit and part of that is so obviously Trump driven there shouldn’t really be a need to explain it or defend it.
A part is, sure, but we focus on the Trump part so much that we ignore the vastly bigger stuff that is screwing it up for us. Our federalist setup of 50 separate incubators on how to deal with this has clearly not been a positive when it comes to pandemic response for one - most states blue or red, have stumbled incredibly in the past 10 months. And our individualism and penchant to look out for our own self-interests - and this transcends party - hasn't been a good thing through this as well. You even said it yourself yesterday in another post - your wife saw a dude in a doctor's office without a mask, and you went right away to him being a Trumper. How do you know that? My wife works in a pretty rich school district in a Philly suburb that went overwhelmingly to Biden in the recent election. She has kids that, as they tell her over Zoom, have spent Thanksgiving and then Christmas in exotic locations, travelling all over the place - Colorado, California, Miami Beach, she had a kid that literally just got off the place from Turks and Caicos. These people are getting on planes, travelling all over the place, eating in restaurants, etc. We could make an entire thread out of politicians, on both sides of the aisle, who have eschewed their own advice and eaten out at large parties without masks and have travelled all over the place. Trump's the easy target. But just like with his taking all of the air out of the room, we ignore the vast majority of other reasons to our own detriment.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Who thinks they are going to limit cycle thresholds for the PCR test and when false positives drop, claim COVID is on the retreat?
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:10 pm Who thinks they are going to limit cycle thresholds for the PCR test and when false positives drop, claim COVID is on the retreat?
Conspiracy theorists and autocrats.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:23 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:10 pm Who thinks they are going to limit cycle thresholds for the PCR test and when false positives drop, claim COVID is on the retreat?
Don't forget lesbians. :nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:32 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:23 pm

Don't forget lesbians. :nod:
Good point.

(I’ll be right back)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:38 pm Image
A whole minute? Nobody believes that shit.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:11 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:38 pm Image
I cleaned the pipes first.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:16 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:11 pm

I cleaned the pipes first.
Ah. Makes more sense now. :coffee: :coffee:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

4th person I know passed from Covid. Strange that none of them had a foot in the grave.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm 4th person I know passed from Covid. Strange that none of them had a foot in the grave.
Sorry for your loss, Gil.

I now have two close friends with it. Husband who works security at a hospital brought it home to his wife.

Both are very sick...pain everywhere, respiratory, etc. and they are late 30’s and early 40’s. They said “no one wants this”.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:49 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:38 pm 4th person I know passed from Covid. Strange that none of them had a foot in the grave.

I now have two close friends with it. Husband who works security at a hospital brought it home to his wife.

Both are very sick...pain everywhere, respiratory, etc. and they are late 30’s and early 40’s. They said “no one wants this”.
It really IS weird (and I’m not being facetious). I literally know over 200 people who’ve had it. ONE (elderly Hispanic uncle by marriage) has passed, one (an Hispanic employee) spent about 2 weeks in the hospital, and everyone else had either no symptoms, mild symptoms or flu-like symptoms that lasted 10 days to two weeks.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:14 pm
89Hen wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:04 pm
Wonder what?
Boy
Bread
Woman
Years

(this one's for you Ganny)
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:00 pm
CAA Flagship wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:14 pm
Boy
Bread
Woman
Years

(this one's for you Ganny)
Post that shit without pics? :tothehand: :tothehand:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:52 pm
kalm wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:49 pm

It really IS weird (and I’m not being facetious). I literally know over 200 people who’ve had it. ONE (elderly Hispanic uncle by marriage) has passed, one (an Hispanic employee) spent about 2 weeks in the hospital, and everyone else had either no symptoms, mild symptoms or flu-like symptoms that lasted 10 days to two weeks.
Are these people you know, that would recognize you in a crowd or people you know of? I personally know 6 that have had it, and 4 passed, one was in the hospital on O2 and is out now, and one was young with few symptoms.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:21 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:52 pm

Are these people you know, that would recognize you in a crowd or people you know of? I personally know 6 that have had it, and 4 passed, one was in the hospital on O2 and is out now, and one was young with few symptoms.
About 190 are employees, the other 10-15 are close/personal friends or relatives. Doesn’t change the fact that the numbers are what they are.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

The common flu had been cured!
In week 51 of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's "FluView" data monitoring system, 36 positive flu tests were documented. This marks a steep decrease from last year's total of 7,703 cases during the same time frame. The positivity rate has sharply declined this calendar year as only 0.10% of tests taken this year came back positive. The five-year average is 15.80% positive.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... -flu-tests
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:36 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:21 pm

About 190 are employees, the other 10-15 are close/personal friends or relatives. Doesn’t change the fact that the numbers are what they are.
True, the numbers are what they are, but the deaths are not all people with 1 foot in the grave.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Heart disease and cancer lead causes of death for 2020. Still over 45,000 flu/pneumonia deaths despite Covid totals.
link
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:14 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:36 pm

True, the numbers are what they are, but the deaths are not all people with 1 foot in the grave.
Three quarters of the office (over 500 employees) have had it and no deaths. I know of about 20 people (friends/close co-wokers) that have had it and nothing worse than a few days of flu like symptoms. I still have not had it (at least that I know of).

I have a suspicion that they will find some genetic factor that is the main contributor to peoples reactions. That coupled with prior conditions is where the main risk will come from.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

I've personally known about 6 people with actual positive tests, and none of them had anything other than mild symptoms. I hear of a lot of more cases of folks with it through my kids school and again, no one with any of the real serious conditions or complications. Only person I have any personal knowledge of having a serious outcome was the elderly father of a high school classmate and he spent a good 3-4 weeks in the hospital. It matches the data we hear and what's reported - for the vast majority of people who get COVID they either don't even know they have it or they have very mild symptoms. You still lament the tiny fraction of people that do get it severely or die, so that doesn't minimize that suffering.