Can CCU get in?

All other college sports!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Can CCU get in?

Post by SuperHornet »

Maybe. But it'll take a lot of "chaos." They're listed at #10 of the only 10 teams left with ANY shot whatsoever.

https://sports.yahoo.com/only-10-teams- ... 29962.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Can CCU get in?

Post by GannonFan »

It's impossible. They would never get in even over a 2 loss Clemson team.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

No. Short of a tragedy befalling Clemson, 'Bama, Ohio State, ND, and/or Texas A&M, we don't make it.

Even if we finish 12-0, we won't make it in. The Committee has a hard enough time giving an Indy like Notre Dame love, let along someone that's NOT from a P5.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:49 am No. Short of a tragedy befalling Clemson, 'Bama, Ohio State, ND, and/or Texas A&M, we don't make it.

Even if we finish 12-0, we won't make it in. The Committee has a hard enough time giving an Indy like Notre Dame love, let along someone that's NOT from a P5.
And Notre Dame normally has a pretty killer schedule (got easier this year just playing ACC teams). While the Chants run has been fun, and while it's true that P5 schools generally duck team like the Chants, the schedule hasn't been terribly difficult either. Kansas didn't win a game all year and the closest game they played was against Coastal. Louisiana isn't terrible and BYU's good, but most of the others aren't. Needing a last minute TD to beat a middling Troy St team isn't a big selling point either. If the playoffs were 8 teams I'd put them in, but no way do I think they deserve in in a 4 team playoff.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

As much as I'd love to see it, there wasn't enough chaos going on yesterday. The stupid committee will come up with SOME bogus excuse to exclude CCU, I'm sure....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

I'm not an advocate for the idea undefeated G5s must get in over not-undefeated P5s. That said, Iowa State being over Coastal in the CFP rankings is a joke. The Big 12 went 0-3 against the Sun Belt. IMO if you're a P5 and you do that you forfeit any NY6 at large bid.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:06 am The stupid committee will come up with SOME bogus excuse to exclude CCU, I'm sure....
Almost the first first intelligent thing you've said here. If you pare it down to: "The committee will exclude CCU, I'm sure...." you would have nailed it. I'm sure the CCU fans are proud of their team this year, but only a delusional fan thinks they should have been in.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

So the reward for going undefeated in the Sun Belt is a Toilet Bowl game with Liberty? :suspicious: That’s messed up.. :ohno:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:05 am So the reward for going undefeated in the Sun Belt is a Toilet Bowl game with Liberty? :suspicious: That’s messed up.. :ohno:
Sounds about right to me.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:
SuperHornet wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:06 am The stupid committee will come up with SOME bogus excuse to exclude CCU, I'm sure....
Almost the first first intelligent thing you've said here. If you pare it down to: "The committee will exclude CCU, I'm sure...." you would have nailed it. I'm sure the CCU fans are proud of their team this year, but only a delusional fan thinks they should have been in.
CCU probably but I can make a reasonable argument that it was complete BS to not even consider Cincinnati.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:42 pm
89Hen wrote:
CCU probably but I can make a reasonable argument that it was complete BS to not even consider Cincinnati.
Is there evidence they didn't even consider Cincinnati?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:13 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:42 pm CCU probably but I can make a reasonable argument that it was complete BS to not even consider Cincinnati.
They kept assessing Cincinnati all year, that wasn't an oversight. Cincy's best games were Army and Tulsa, and they were lucky to beat Tulsa. Despite that, Cincy gets its chance to show they belong with a Peach Bowl, New Years Day game against Georgia. That game is the first game on New Years and only has one other game running opposite it starting an hour later. Cincy gets all the football eyes to watch them so that's a pretty good spot to be in all things being considered.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:26 am
89Hen wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:13 am

They kept assessing Cincinnati all year, that wasn't an oversight. Cincy's best games were Army and Tulsa, and they were lucky to beat Tulsa. Despite that, Cincy gets its chance to show they belong with a Peach Bowl, New Years Day game against Georgia. That game is the first game on New Years and only has one other game running opposite it starting an hour later. Cincy gets all the football eyes to watch them so that's a pretty good spot to be in all things being considered.
Arguments can be made for and against any team other than Alabama and maybe Clemson. In their favor, Cincinnati didn't get their ass handed to them by a playoff team like uND or aTm.

I'm not saying that Cincinnati should have been in, I'm saying they should have been given more serious consideration. Ranking 2 loss Oklahoma and Florida above them showed that the whole thing is a farce and Cincinnati was not given serious consideration.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:55 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:26 am

Arguments can be made for and against any team other than Alabama and maybe Clemson. In their favor, Cincinnati didn't get their ass handed to them by a playoff team like uND or aTm.

I'm not saying that Cincinnati should have been in, I'm saying they should have been given more serious consideration. Ranking 2 loss Oklahoma and Florida above them showed that the whole thing is a farce and Cincinnati was not given serious consideration.
So unless they put them in, they weren't given serious consideration. Gotcha. :roll:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:30 am
UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:55 pm

So unless they put them in, they weren't given serious consideration. Gotcha. :roll:
:dunce: Oklahoma might have gotten a little consideration because of their strong finish. Florida was not really considered and neither was anyone ranked below them. The rankings show that the only teams seriously considered for the 4th spot were und and aTm. Put Cincinnati at 6 or maybe 7 and I would believe they were considered. Beelzebub must have intervened on und's behalf to give them the edge.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

The fix was in. There's no way Clemson and ND deserve to be in there. The ATMs (if you don't "get" my weak joke, just look at their helmets) and perhaps Oklahoma, not to mention CCU and Liberty, were more worthy, IMO....

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:00 pm The fix was in. There's no way Clemson and ND deserve to be in there. The ATMs (if you don't "get" my weak joke, just look at their helmets) and perhaps Oklahoma, not to mention CCU and Liberty, were more worthy, IMO....
:lol: :coffee: :dunce:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:20 pm Put Cincinnati at 6 or maybe 7 and I would believe they were considered. Beelzebub must have intervened on und's behalf to give them the edge.
That would make you or them feel better?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:42 pm
89Hen wrote:

My guess is that Cincinnati is going to get destroyed by Georgia so that it will be clear that excluding them was not a bad thing. But we'll see. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

I don't think Coastal Carolina is even one of the best 25 teams in the country much less one of the best four. The team they have would struggle to reach 0.500 in any power 5 league during a normal year.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:58 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:42 pm CCU probably but I can make a reasonable argument that it was complete BS to not even consider Cincinnati.

My guess is that Cincinnati is going to get destroyed by Georgia so that it will be clear that excluding them was not a bad thing. But we'll see. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

I don't think Coastal Carolina is even one of the best 25 teams in the country much less one of the best four. The team they have would struggle to reach 0.500 in any power 5 league during a normal year.
John, I'll eat crow if Cincinnati gets destroyed by Georgia. Will you eat crow if Cincinnati wins?

We'll call a close game a wash even though that isn't getting "destroyed".
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Cincinnati went toe to toe with an SEC powerhouse.
SunCoastBlueHen
Level4
Level4

Post by SunCoastBlueHen »

UNI88 wrote:Cincinnati went toe to toe with an SEC powerhouse.
The top teams in the AAC have been very competitive with the big boys in recent years.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:11 pm Cincinnati went toe to toe with an SEC powerhouse.
I think one of the reasons you see these undefeated G5s going toe to toe with 2-3 loss P5 powerhouses is that the P5s just don’t get up for these games/bring their A games like they would for a Top 5-10 P5 powerhouse. I doubt UGA got up for Cincinnatti like they would have for Bama, Clemson, Ohio St, etc..
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:51 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:11 pm Cincinnati went toe to toe with an SEC powerhouse.
I think one of the reasons you see these undefeated G5s going toe to toe with 2-3 loss P5 powerhouses is that the P5s just don’t get up for these games/bring their A games like they would for a Top 5-10 P5 powerhouse. I doubt UGA got up for Cincinnatti like they would have for Bama, Clemson, Ohio St, etc..
That's an excuse and if true reflects poorly on UGA.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:27 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:51 pm
That's an excuse and if true reflects poorly on UGA.
Another thing is the P5 teams often have top senior & junior players (who are leaving early) sitting out the bowls because they don’t want to risk injury before the draft, even the NY6 bowls. For example UNC in the Orange bowl had sittobg out:
-1k+ yd rushing RB
-2nd 1k+ yd rushing RB
-1k+ yd receiving WR
-star LB.

I don’t know if & how many players UGA had sitting out. I recall a few years ago when undefeated UCF upset Auburn in an NY6 bowl, Auburn had a few star players sitting out..