WSJ Writer Shows His Ignorance

Political discussions
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

WSJ Writer Shows His Ignorance

Post by SuperHornet »

I'm no fan of the Bidens, but this continuing idea that not all doctorates are equal, and so one shouldn't be addressed as "doctor" unless one has an M.D. is stupid. What, someone with a D.D.S. isn't a "doctor?" It reminds me of that bogus political comic set at a restaurant where the maitre d' asked the guest if he was a "real" doctor, or just another Ph.D. SMH....

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/wall-st ... 47069.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Re: WSJ Writer Shows His Ignorance

Post by Pwns »

All education graduate degrees exist to train chair warmer administrators in primary and secondary school as well as colleges. They're the most notoriously "Mickey Mouse" programs that there are.

Also, in my experience the people who will insist on being addressed as "doctor" are also probably the least erudite people among those with doctoral-level degrees.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

Pwns wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:29 pm All education graduate degrees exist to train chair warmer administrators in primary and secondary school as well as colleges. They're the most notoriously "Mickey Mouse" programs that there are.

Also, in my experience the people who will insist on being addressed as "doctor" are also probably the least erudite people among those with doctoral-level degrees.
I'll never forget something an adjunct prof of mine (who was a great friend of mine outside of the classroom as life went on before his passing) said

"All the other professors around here demand to go by "Dr." because of their degree. Thus I posted notice that from now on I demand to go by my degree title and they have to call me "Master"

He was getting at exactly where you are and are exactly why I only point out to people my master's in such context
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Pwns wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:29 pm All education graduate degrees exist to train chair warmer administrators in primary and secondary school as well as colleges. They're the most notoriously "Mickey Mouse" programs that there are.

That's a broad brush Pwns. There are bad teachers and administrators but there are a lot of good ones too.

Those that can, do.
Those that can't do, teach.
Those that can't teach, administrate.
Those that can't even administrate complain about administrators.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:07 am

That's a broad brush Pwns. There are bad teachers and administrators but there are a lot of good ones too.

Those that can, do.
“Those that can’t, teach” is one of the most annoying conk memes out there.

It’s right up there with the sophistry of using “erudite” in a conversation denouncing intellectual elitism.

8-)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:01 am

Those that can, do.

It’s right up there with the sophistry of using “erudite” in a conversation denouncing intellectual elitism.

8-)
FTR - “Those that can’t, teach” predates memes.

It's an annoying and untrue cliche. That's why I added the last line - Those that can't even administrate complain about administrators.

Teachers along with nurses, police and firefighters are some of the most important and valuable members of our society.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:07 am

8-)
FTR - “Those that can’t, teach” predates memes.

It's an annoying and untrue cliche. That's why I added the last line - Those that can't even administrate complain about administrators.

Teachers along with nurses, police and firefighters are some of the most important and valuable members of our society.

It probably was, but the term “meme” was coined long before the internet. I was using it as a thought virus description rather than an internet image.

Anyhoo, we agree. Just piling on.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

Those that can, do.

8-)
They weren't talking about golf Sissy.
Breathe. And allow your teste to drop back down.

All better?
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

andy7171 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:42 am

8-)

All better?
I wasn’t talking about golf either...your own brain let you wander to that conclusion...along with your thoughts of my boys (BOYS) producing testicle.

Weird.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:54 pm
andy7171 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:42 am

All better?
I wasn’t talking about golf either...your own brain let you wander to that conclusion...along with your thoughts of my boys (BOYS) producing testicle.

Weird.
You should be ashamed of yourself! Adding more privileged toxic masculinity to the population of the planet. ;)

To SuperHorny's point, this isn't just limited to pHD's. There are plenty of arrogant SOBs who insist on honorifics and other distinctions because they're too shallow and insecure to admit that we're all people with value and an opinion. Rep. Katie Porter asking Mnuchin if he was an attorney comes to mind. She probably feels qualified to speak about finance but thinks that only attorneys can talk about legal matters.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:14 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:54 pm

Weird.
You should be ashamed of yourself! Adding more privileged toxic masculinity to the population of the planet. ;)

To SuperHorny's point, this isn't just limited to pHD's. There are plenty of arrogant SOBs who insist on honorifics and other distinctions because they're too shallow and insecure to admit that we're all people with value and an opinion. Rep. Katie Porter asking Mnuchin if he was an attorney comes to mind. She probably feels qualified to speak about finance but thinks that only attorneys can talk about legal matters.
I am going to resist this well crafted troll.

:lol:
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Maybe Joe will make Dr. Jill the Surgeon General? I hear she is one hell of a Doctor. :lol:

Listen to the 99.99% Donk audience applaud with approval in the background. :rofl:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

I heard that she is referred to as "Dr" more often than Ben Carson by the media.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

89Hen wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:55 am I heard that she is referred to as "Dr" more often than Ben Carson by the media.
I listened to that show on WMAL yesterday too. :lol:
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Those that can, do.
There are certainly good teachers, and maybe even good administrators. But they didn't get good by taking courses in Multicultural Rain Forest Pedagogy Theory in some teacher education program.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Her position paper is available on the web if anyone cares to see her work.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... tation.pdf
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Trut so pure.... :notworthy:

Richard Feynman delivers a blistering takedown on this subject in his book "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman" :thumb:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Those that can, do.

8-)
Same crowd that thinks the answer to government inefficiency is putting a businessman in charge.

Self-employed. Educated at the School of Hard Knocks.

You know the type - workplace rejects with below-average IQ... :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:10 pm

8-)
Same crowd that thinks the answer to government inefficiency is putting a businessman in charge.

Thank you Imhotep. So tell us great sage, what is the answer to government inefficiency if it isn't putting a businessman or a lifelong a politician in charge?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Pwns wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:29 pm Also, in my experience the people who will insist on being addressed as "doctor" are also probably the least erudite people among those with doctoral-level degrees.
I'm not aware of Jill Biden having insisted upon being addressed as "doctor." I haven't seen anything about her suggesting arrogance. She seems to be a pretty nice, down to earth person.

I have dealt with a lot of PhDs over my lifetime and I have NEVER met one that came across as somebody who would care about whether you call them "doctor" or not. Never seen one correct anybody for saying "Mr" or "Ms."

However, when I write correspondences or draft correspondences for superiors, I always want to know whether the person we are writing to has a doctorate. I want to know if the letter should say "Dear Mr. or Ms" or should say "Dear Dr." And if the person has a PhD I'm going to use "Dear Dr." It's just being accurate.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Jill doesn't have a PhD. She has an Ed.D.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:45 am
Pwns wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:29 pm Also, in my experience the people who will insist on being addressed as "doctor" are also probably the least erudite people among those with doctoral-level degrees.
I'm not aware of Jill Biden having insisted upon being addressed as "doctor." I haven't seen anything about her suggesting arrogance. She seems to be a pretty nice, down to earth person.

I have dealt with a lot of PhDs over my lifetime and I have NEVER met one that came across as somebody who would care about whether you call them "doctor" or not. Never seen one correct anybody for saying "Mr" or "Ms."

However, when I write correspondences or draft correspondences for superiors, I always want to know whether the person we are writing to has a doctorate. I want to know if the letter should say "Dear Mr. or Ms" or should say "Dear Dr." And if the person has a PhD I'm going to use "Dear Dr." It's just being accurate.
Jill Biden has a doctorate and has earned that right to be referred to as Doctor Biden.

I have a masters, please refer to me as Master UNI88 from this point forward. :D
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

HI54UNI wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:25 pm Jill doesn't have a PhD. She has an Ed.D.
Ok. I would still start a letter to her with "Dear Dr. Biden."
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:51 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:25 pm Jill doesn't have a PhD. She has an Ed.D.
Ok. I would still start a letter to her with "Dear Dr. Biden."
I’d start it with “Dear Crazy Enabling Bitch”....
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:24 pm
houndawg wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:10 pm

Thank you Imhotep. So tell us great sage, what is the answer to government inefficiency if it isn't putting a businessman or a lifelong a politician in charge?
Start a large fire fueled with bankers and throw the money-hoarders on top of it. Repeat as needed.