Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:33 am
SDHornet wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:16 am

Case counts? LOL
If we stop testing, the case counts will drop dramatically.

Or so I've been told.
Case counts are meaningless. We've been through this discussion about 100 pages ago.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:56 pm

Or so I've been told.
Case counts are meaningless. We've been through this discussion about 100 pages ago.
I was being silly. :mrgreen:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Yeaterday, the day after the electors meet, AMA rescinds statement against HCQ in treating the China Virus, knowing doing so will no longer risk helping Trump..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:55 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:42 am Show me one study that shows 100% of the virus escapes thru a mask, during an exhale, sneeze, cough, or just talking, when wearing a proper mask correctly, and I will quit talking about masks. Here is your chance. This is an open challenge to anyone.

A Danish study which the summary indicates surgical masks were used.
A total of 3030 participants were randomly assigned to the recommendation to wear masks, and 2994 were assigned to control; 4862 completed the study. Infection with SARS-CoV-2 occurred in 42 participants recommended masks (1.8%) and 53 control participants (2.1%). The between-group difference was −0.3 percentage point (95% CI, −1.2 to 0.4 percentage point; P = 0.38) (odds ratio, 0.82 [CI, 0.54 to 1.23]; P = 0.33). Multiple imputation accounting for loss to follow-up yielded similar results. Although the difference observed was not statistically significant, the 95% CIs are compatible with a 46% reduction to a 23% increase in infection.
The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use. The data were compatible with lesser degrees of self-protection.
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

So based on this study, there is not much of a difference between wearing a mask (non-N95 or better) and not wearing a mask. And we all know most people aren't wearing an N95 mask. So unless the draconian mask rules dictate the use of a N95 mask, they are pretty much useless.
This study does not cover exhaled virus, the reason mask are recommended.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:41 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:55 pm

A Danish study which the summary indicates surgical masks were used.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

So based on this study, there is not much of a difference between wearing a mask (non-N95 or better) and not wearing a mask. And we all know most people aren't wearing an N95 mask. So unless the draconian mask rules dictate the use of a N95 mask, they are pretty much useless.
Quick, move those goalposts gil! :lol:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:45 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:41 pm

Show me one study that shows 100% of the virus escapes thru a mask, during an exhale, sneeze, cough, or just talking, when wearing a proper mask correctly, and I will quit talking about masks. Here is your chance. This is an open challenge to anyone.

exhale is stated in my original Gil Dobie Challenge.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:57 pm
SDHornet wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:45 pm

Show me one study that shows 100% of the virus escapes thru a mask, during an exhale, sneeze, cough, or just talking, when wearing a proper mask correctly, and I will quit talking about masks. Here is your chance. This is an open challenge to anyone.

So the study on masks I posted were only worn on the inhale? Who knew? :lol:

You're delusional Gil, but I still love ya! :nod: Stay safe, stay inside. :thumb:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:37 pm Yeaterday, the day after the electors meet, AMA rescinds statement against HCQ in treating the China Virus, knowing doing so will no longer risk helping Trump..

Its not just the AMA, its everybody. Even Putin has sent congratulations to Biden on his election, and 15 minutes later Moscow Mitch did too....

I guess the Trump Train is now.......... The Wreck of the Old '97...... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:02 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:57 pm

So the study on masks I posted were only worn on the inhale? Who knew? :lol:

You're delusional Gil, but I still love ya! :nod: Stay safe, stay inside. :thumb:
Wait for the next Gil Dobie Challenge. :thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:42 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:17 am

Well, lets just stay shut down for 20 years until we find out. :coffee: :coffee:

Besides. Isn’t this how every zombie movie/show starts out?
No, let's not shut down. Let's practice some basic hygiene and do what it takes to help your fellow man.
90% of America is doing exactly that. And the virus is still virusing. What’s your next option, Myron?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:10 pm

No, let's not shut down. Let's practice some basic hygiene and do what it takes to help your fellow man.
90% of America is doing exactly that. And the virus is still virusing. What’s your next option, Myron?
I would put my money on 25%
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Really? Because even in good ol’ “independent” Texas, I’d say about 90% of people are wearing masks whenever indoors....100% in grocery stores, gas stations, retail, etc. You gotta stand in line to wash your hands. There’s sanitizer at every turn.

And still, virus gonna virus.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:29 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:17 pm
Really? Because even in good ol’ “independent” Texas, I’d say about 90% of people are wearing masks whenever indoors....100% in grocery stores, gas stations, retail, etc. You gotta stand in line to wash your hands. There’s sanitizer at every turn.

How many of those 90% are wearing their mask under their nostril or even just over their chin/adams apple? How many people take their mask off to sneeze? Yes a lot of people are kind of wearing a mask but there are a lot of people who aren't wearing it correctly.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:19 pm

How many of those 90% are wearing their mask under their nostril or even just over their chin/adams apple? How many people take their mask off to sneeze? Yes a lot of people are kind of wearing a mask but there are a lot of people who aren't wearing it correctly.
Not only that, but a lot are wearing gators, shields, or some other such nonsense because they’ve been told that those qualify as masks. The dis/mis information out there is comical. Let’s just get this shit over with and get back to living (whoever’s left).
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Wearing a used mask could be worse than no mask amid COVID-19: study

Wearing a used mask could be more dangerous than not wearing one at all when it comes to warding off COVID-19, a new study has found.

A new three-layer surgical mask is 65 percent efficient in filtering particles in the air — but when used, that number drops to 25 percent, according to the study published Tuesday in the Physics of Fluids

https://nypost.com/2020/12/16/wearing-a ... -19-study/
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

The local hospital has a new high in cases as of yesterday.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:19 pm

A buddy was at Cabela’s in Post Falls. Practically no one was masked up. North Idaho gonna North Idaho...
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Time to quit wearing fur, ladies...

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... las-tigers

Potential long term ramifications in this one...
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

If we're doing what's best for our fellow man, we wouldn't have half the population coughing in peoples faces, having No Mask parties and spreading disinformation.

So no, Mortimer, 90% of America isn't doing exactly that. There's a certain population that doesn't see the big picture and refuses to do the basic things to help slow the spread. Again - if our feckless leader had actually been a leader we might not be talking so much about it.

No...we would. This country is divided. If Biden said the sun is a star, you'd have 1/2 of this country arguing with him.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:15 am

If we're doing what's best for our fellow man, we wouldn't have half the population coughing in peoples faces, having No Mask parties and spreading disinformation.

So no, Mortimer, 90% of America isn't doing exactly that. There's a certain population that doesn't see the big picture and refuses to do the basic things to help slow the spread. Again - if our feckless leader had actually been a leader we might not be talking so much about it.

No...we would. This country is divided. If Biden said the sun is a star, you'd have 1/2 of this country arguing with him.
:nod:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Or so I've been told.
Yes we have and no they’re not. All numbers have meaning. Case counts drive hospitalizations and deaths. You were wrong back then too and nothing has changed...
“I want to be very clear: Our hospitals are under siege, and our model shows no end in sight,” Christina Ghaly, director of L.A. County’s Department of Health Services, said at a dire news briefing.

Because it takes, on average, [more than a week](https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... e_manual_9) for people to get sick enough to be hospitalized, today’s capacity numbers actually reflect case numbers that are roughly 10 days old, when the state was reporting 10,000 fewer infections.

“The worst,” Ghaly promised, “is still before us.”

The rapid increase in new cases, virus hospitalizations and deaths — which have nearly all doubled — comes at a precarious point in the pandemic. California has already reenacted tough restrictions meant to curb the coronavirus’s spread, yet it has continued unabated.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

What world are you living in? Yes, there’s an element of the population who are “never maskers”, but the vast majority of people I see out and about are definitely wearing them. “Half the population” is coughing in people’s faces? Really? Someone is watching too much twitter....

I stand by my assertion that the vast majority of the population is wearing masks, social distancing, sanitizing. And the virus is still spreading because THAT’S WHAT VIRUSES DO. It will be over when IT decides it’s over.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:55 am

Yes we have and no they’re not. All numbers have meaning. Case counts drive hospitalizations and deaths. You were wrong back then too and nothing has changed...
“I want to be very clear: Our hospitals are under siege, and our model shows no end in sight,” Christina Ghaly, director of L.A. County’s Department of Health Services, said at a dire news briefing.

Because it takes, on average, [more than a week](https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... e_manual_9) for people to get sick enough to be hospitalized, today’s capacity numbers actually reflect case numbers that are roughly 10 days old, when the state was reporting 10,000 fewer infections.

“The worst,” Ghaly promised, “is still before us.”

The rapid increase in new cases, virus hospitalizations and deaths — which have nearly all doubled — comes at a precarious point in the pandemic. California has already reenacted tough restrictions meant to curb the coronavirus’s spread, yet it has continued unabated.
Something has changed. The death rate is 1/5th of what it was six months ago. It’s literally gets LESS deadly every single day. yet here we are, hunkered down in our bunkers, waiting for the zombie horde. :ohno: :ohno: :dunce:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:16 am

What world are you living in? Yes, there’s an element of the population who are “never maskers”, but the vast majority of people I see out and about are definitely wearing them. “Half the population” is coughing in people’s faces? Really? Someone is watching too much twitter....

I stand by my assertion that the vast majority of the population is wearing masks, social distancing, sanitizing. And the virus is still spreading because THAT’S WHAT VIRUSES DO. It will be over when IT decides it’s over.
:kisswink: :kisswink:
If you can overly exaggerate then so can I.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:16 am

:kisswink: :kisswink:
If you can overly exaggerate then so can I.