Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Facebook is a Doomsday Machine

Post by kalm »

Interesting read and historical call backs.

Overblown hysterics or legitimate threat?

Of the many things humans are consistently terrible at doing, seeing the future is somewhere near the top of the list. This flaw became a preoccupation among Megadeath Intellectuals such as Herman Kahn and his fellow economists, mathematicians, and former military officers at the Rand Corporation in the 1960s.

Kahn and his colleagues helped invent modern futurism, which was born of the existential dread that the bomb ushered in, and hardened by the understanding that most innovation is horizontal in nature—a copy of what already exists, rather than wholly new. Real invention is extraordinarily rare, and far more disruptive.

The logician and philosopher Olaf Helmer-Hirschberg, who overlapped with Kahn at Rand and would later co-found the Institute for the Future, arrived in California after having fled the Nazis, an experience that gave his desire to peer into the future a particular kind of urgency. He argued that the acceleration of technological change had established the need for a new epistemological approach to fields such as engineering, medicine, the social sciences, and so on. “No longer does it take generations for a new pattern of living conditions to evolve,” he wrote, “but we are going through several major adjustments in our lives, and our children will have to adopt continual adaptation as a way of life.” In 1965, he wrote a book called Social Technology that aimed to create a scientific methodology for predicting the future.

In those same years, Kahn was dreaming up his own hypothetical machine to provide a philosophical framework for the new threats humanity faced. He called it the Doomsday Machine, and also the Doomsday-in-a-Hurry Machine, and also the Homicide Pact Machine. Stanley Kubrick famously borrowed the concept for the 1964 film Dr. Strangelove, the cinematic apotheosis of the fatalism that came with living on hair-trigger alert for nuclear annihilation.

Today’s fatalism about the brokenness of the internet feels similar. We’re still in the infancy of this century’s triple digital revolution of the internet, smartphones, and the social web, and we find ourselves in a dangerous and unstable informational environment, powerless to resist forces of manipulation and exploitation that we know are exerted on us but remain mostly invisible. The Doomsday Machine offers a lesson: We should not accept this current arrangement. No single machine should be able to control so many people.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ne/617384/
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Facebook is a Doomsday Machine

Post by AZGrizFan »

He left out one verifiable fact in his conclusion:

People are, in essence, idiots. They will willingly be led to slaughter and be happy doing so if told in the right way.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:36 pm He left out one verifiable fact in his conclusion:

People are, in essence, idiots. They will willingly be led to slaughter and be happy doing so if told in the right way.
:nod: The compliance by the unwashed masses with mask wearing even after multiple studies prove their ineffectiveness prove this point.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:26 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:36 pm He left out one verifiable fact in his conclusion:

:nod: The compliance by the unwashed masses with mask wearing even after multiple studies prove their ineffectiveness prove this point.
Studies only address inhaling virus, which is not why mask are recommended as part of the protocol.

Show me one study that shows 100% of the virus escapes thru a mask, during an exhale, sneeze, cough, or just talking, when wearing a proper mask correctly, and I will quit talking about masks. Here is your chance. This is an open challenge to anyone.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

That statement applies equally well to the idiots on the left and the right. Both sides have their pied pipers that they will blindly follow to slaughter.

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:17 am

That statement applies equally well to the idiots on the left and the right. Both sides have their pied pipers that they will blindly follow to slaughter.

I wore my green pants for that portrait.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:37 am

Studies only address inhaling virus, which is not why mask are recommended as part of the protocol.

Show me one study that shows 100% of the virus escapes thru a mask, during an exhale, sneeze, cough, or just talking, when wearing a proper mask correctly, and I will quit talking about masks. Here is your chance. This is an open challenge to anyone.
Multiple peer reviewed observational studies that NOT wearing a mask or bitching about them raises your freedom quotient by triple.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Z is right except “he” is a she.

And what does left and right have to do with this?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:40 am

Z is right.

I made the leap based on past posts that Z thinks that many of "idiots" are on the left. Maybe I was wrong to make that assumption about Z but my point stands - there are plenty of idiots running around wrapping their cars, trucks, boats, houses, etc. in American Flags and Trump signs and calling themselves "Murican patriots. The "right way" to lead these idiots to slaughter is with inflammatory tweets.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:17 am

Z is right.

I made the leap based on past posts that Z thinks that many of "idiots" are on the left. Maybe I was wrong to make that assumption about Z but my point stands - there are plenty of idiots running around wrapping their cars, trucks, boats, houses, etc. in American Flags and Trump signs and calling themselves "Murican patriots. The "right way" to lead these idiots to slaughter is with inflammatory tweets.
:thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Oh no doubt. Hence why I didn’t play identity politics. It’s equal opportunity stupidity, spread broadly across the globe.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

The internet wouldn't be nearly as big of a problem if the mainstream media didn't completely suck and destroyed their own credibility over decades.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

A Danish study which the summary indicates surgical masks were used.
A total of 3030 participants were randomly assigned to the recommendation to wear masks, and 2994 were assigned to control; 4862 completed the study. Infection with SARS-CoV-2 occurred in 42 participants recommended masks (1.8%) and 53 control participants (2.1%). The between-group difference was −0.3 percentage point (95% CI, −1.2 to 0.4 percentage point; P = 0.38) (odds ratio, 0.82 [CI, 0.54 to 1.23]; P = 0.33). Multiple imputation accounting for loss to follow-up yielded similar results. Although the difference observed was not statistically significant, the 95% CIs are compatible with a 46% reduction to a 23% increase in infection.
The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use. The data were compatible with lesser degrees of self-protection.
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

So based on this study, there is not much of a difference between wearing a mask (non-N95 or better) and not wearing a mask. And we all know most people aren't wearing an N95 mask. So unless the draconian mask rules dictate the use of a N95 mask, they are pretty much useless.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:54 pm

A total of 3030 participants were randomly assigned to the recommendation to wear masks, and 2994 were assigned to control; 4862 completed the study. Infection with SARS-CoV-2 occurred in 42 participants recommended masks (1.8%) and 53 control participants (2.1%). The between-group difference was −0.3 percentage point (95% CI, −1.2 to 0.4 percentage point; P = 0.38) (odds ratio, 0.82 [CI, 0.54 to 1.23]; P = 0.33). Multiple imputation accounting for loss to follow-up yielded similar results. Although the difference observed was not statistically significant, the 95% CIs are compatible with a 46% reduction to a 23% increase in infection.
The recommendation to wear surgical masks to supplement other public health measures did not reduce the SARS-CoV-2 infection rate among wearers by more than 50% in a community with modest infection rates, some degree of social distancing, and uncommon general mask use. The data were compatible with lesser degrees of self-protection.

So based on this study, there is not much of a difference between wearing a mask (non-N95 or better) and not wearing a mask. And we all know most people aren't wearing an N95 mask. So unless the draconian mask rules dictate the use of a N95 mask, they are pretty much useless.
Study does not cover exhaled virus thru a mask, which is the reason mask are worn.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:40 pm

Study does not cover exhaled virus thru a mask, which is the reason mask are worn.
We'll take this battle over to the china virus mega thread. :coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:17 am

Z is right.

No need to slaughter the sheep when you can continue to milk them.

Best way to milk the sheep is to tell them the election was rigged and you need them to send you money so you can prove it. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Here's a guy that never lost sight of the fact that this whole thing is a sham perpetrated by the Democrats. You're an inspiration to us all.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:27 am

Here's a guy that never lost sight of the fact that this whole thing is a sham perpetrated by the Democrats. You're an inspiration to us all.
The virus is real, but a lot closer to "just the flu" than "bubonic plague". It's the outrage and fear porn that is fake. Not hard to figure this out. :coffee:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:04 am
houndawg wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:27 am

The virus is real, but a lot closer to "just the flu" than "bubonic plague". It's the outrage and fear porn that is fake. Not hard to figure this out. :coffee:
You and AZ are good guys, but there's the fear porn from the right that tells us covid is going to take down America, mask are a threat to our freedom ex.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:08 am
SDHornet wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:04 am

You and AZ are good guys, but there's the fear porn from the right that tells us covid is going to take down America, mask are a threat to our freedom ex.
The over reaction to the China Virus will take down America. Plenty of small businesses are already gone for good because of these draconian measures.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:17 am

The over reaction to the China Virus will take down America. Plenty of small businesses are already gone for good because of these draconian measures.
Less private small business, less freedom, more government dependence, more government overreach....yeah. It’s a great formula for success. Proven world wide.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

300,000 dead and the nation running out of ICU beds with another 100,000 dead by the end of January. :coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:13 pm

Less private small business, less freedom, more government dependence, more government overreach....yeah. It’s a great formula for success. Proven world wide.
Accidents happen. Small bidnizes were fucked even if the gubmint did even less than they already haven't. :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:16 pm
300,000 dead and the nation running out of ICU beds with another 100,000 dead by the end of January. :coffee:
It's a good thing that those big evil, capitalist drug companies were able to develop vaccines so quickly. The special committee appointed by Chairman Bernie and his socialist government would still be sitting around with their thumbs up their asses. :-P
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

kalm wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:27 pm Interesting read and historical call backs.

Overblown hysterics or legitimate threat?

Of the many things humans are consistently terrible at doing, seeing the future is somewhere near the top of the list. This flaw became a preoccupation among Megadeath Intellectuals such as Herman Kahn and his fellow economists, mathematicians, and former military officers at the Rand Corporation in the 1960s.

Kahn and his colleagues helped invent modern futurism, which was born of the existential dread that the bomb ushered in, and hardened by the understanding that most innovation is horizontal in nature—a copy of what already exists, rather than wholly new. Real invention is extraordinarily rare, and far more disruptive.

The logician and philosopher Olaf Helmer-Hirschberg, who overlapped with Kahn at Rand and would later co-found the Institute for the Future, arrived in California after having fled the Nazis, an experience that gave his desire to peer into the future a particular kind of urgency. He argued that the acceleration of technological change had established the need for a new epistemological approach to fields such as engineering, medicine, the social sciences, and so on. “No longer does it take generations for a new pattern of living conditions to evolve,” he wrote, “but we are going through several major adjustments in our lives, and our children will have to adopt continual adaptation as a way of life.” In 1965, he wrote a book called Social Technology that aimed to create a scientific methodology for predicting the future.

In those same years, Kahn was dreaming up his own hypothetical machine to provide a philosophical framework for the new threats humanity faced. He called it the Doomsday Machine, and also the Doomsday-in-a-Hurry Machine, and also the Homicide Pact Machine. Stanley Kubrick famously borrowed the concept for the 1964 film Dr. Strangelove, the cinematic apotheosis of the fatalism that came with living on hair-trigger alert for nuclear annihilation.

Today’s fatalism about the brokenness of the internet feels similar. We’re still in the infancy of this century’s triple digital revolution of the internet, smartphones, and the social web, and we find ourselves in a dangerous and unstable informational environment, powerless to resist forces of manipulation and exploitation that we know are exerted on us but remain mostly invisible. The Doomsday Machine offers a lesson: We should not accept this current arrangement. No single machine should be able to control so many people.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... ne/617384/
Not to derail this, but in regard to the bolded above, I have been wanting to take a TRIZ class. It's a Russian improvement methodology. Stands for Theory of Inventive Problem Solving (obvious Russian translation as the acronym doesn't match).

It came about because a guy working in a Russian patent office noticed that all new patents were really variations of old ideas - horizontal in nature. They also all seem to fall in something like 7 different categories.

The gist is you take a current problem, and align it with old inventions to come to your solution.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz