Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Coronavirus COVID-19

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:12 pm
andy7171 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:42 am

Just wondering, what would have you done?
I was clear early on. Once we established what the precautions were (wear masks, keep socially distanced, wash hands and clean surfaces) we should've let anybody open up who could and would follow those restrictions. In PA, we knew those restrictions by about early April, yet we told hairdressers and barbers that they couldn't operate their businesses until the end of June. We didn't learn anything new in the intervening two and a half months but yet leaders played games with what would open and what wouldn't as if they were really impacting things. Once they played games people noticed and people lost faith in the decisions being made, especially when things changed often with no semblance of reason. And if we were going to have government tell people they couldn't run their businesses then we needed to be ready with government money to cover their lost money. We kinda did that early on with the PPP stuff and other funds, but then the Dems decided it was beneficial to hold up any relief until after the election (didn't want to give Trump anything to call a success), and the GOP is happy to hold things up now if they think that will give them leverage when Biden comes aboard. Political games when we needed real leadership and we didn't get it.
This. :nod:

I experienced it first hand with the contradictions and confusion between essential retail, retail, restaurant, bar, and golf course. Then toss indoor simulators (which many facilities have) into the mix. We fall under all of the above except essential retail.

Some of it is understandable though considering the uncertainty surrounding the virus and pressure from various lobbying groups. Not an easy task balancing economics, political pressure, and public health.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:14 pm
SDHornet wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:04 pm

Same goes for sports. Zero cases traced to transmission during competition and yet sports are shut down. :dunce:
Well, that's a leap. Not all sports are created equal. A local community league playing baseball is one thing, but you have 400 soccer teams flying from all over the country to play at a tournament in Arizona (hotels, restaurants, etc) is another thing. The spread of what constitutes youth sports is pretty wide.
Dammit! I’m gonna have to agree with you twice in one thread. :ohno:

Big group numbers are tough to manage plus, practice, film study, team meetings.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/11/worl ... etics.html
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

He said thats where it came from, thru contact tracing.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Former neighbor is 107 years old an in the nursing home. Her daughter posted on FB today that she contracted Covid and survived.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:55 pm
SeattleGriz wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:15 pm

COVID 19 virus
In that context is it something that comes from the "normal" population rather than as a result of a mutant strain? Or something like that. It has been a couple of years since I read a biology book.
Yep!

I bring it up because was reading about a Covid variant that had around a 360 nucleotide deletion, that was less lethal. Be interesting to see how many 'waves' of infections are due to the variants.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:46 am Be interesting to see how many 'waves' of infections are due to the variants.
We should kill all the vagrants.

SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

CAA Flagship wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:51 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:46 am Be interesting to see how many 'waves' of infections are due to the variants.
We should kill all the vagrants.

Nice. :thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:00 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:12 pm

I was clear early on. Once we established what the precautions were (wear masks, keep socially distanced, wash hands and clean surfaces) we should've let anybody open up who could and would follow those restrictions. In PA, we knew those restrictions by about early April, yet we told hairdressers and barbers that they couldn't operate their businesses until the end of June. We didn't learn anything new in the intervening two and a half months but yet leaders played games with what would open and what wouldn't as if they were really impacting things. Once they played games people noticed and people lost faith in the decisions being made, especially when things changed often with no semblance of reason. And if we were going to have government tell people they couldn't run their businesses then we needed to be ready with government money to cover their lost money. We kinda did that early on with the PPP stuff and other funds, but then the Dems decided it was beneficial to hold up any relief until after the election (didn't want to give Trump anything to call a success), and the GOP is happy to hold things up now if they think that will give them leverage when Biden comes aboard. Political games when we needed real leadership and we didn't get it.

I experienced it first hand with the contradictions and confusion between essential retail, retail, restaurant, bar, and golf course. Then toss indoor simulators (which many facilities have) into the mix. We fall under all of the above except essential retail.

Some of it is understandable though considering the uncertainty surrounding the virus and pressure from various lobbying groups. Not an easy task balancing economics, political pressure, and public health.
Yep yep yep.

And the lack of any semblance of science behind some of these decisions. 6 feet? Totally arbitrary. 25% capacity? 50% capacity? Completely made up. Bars closed, but restaurants WITH bars? Go ahead and stay open. Walmart? Good to go. Ace Hardware? Nope...gotta close. Boutique clothing store? Shut your damned doors. It’s airborne. It’s not airborne. Wear masks outside. Wear masks inside. Don’t wear masks at the table. Wear masks between bites. Case counts up slightly? SHUT EVERYTHING BACK DOWN!!!

The hypocrisy, the confusion, the lack of understanding of basic science....there is ZERO faith in the orders being issued.

The ENTIRE premise that it’s somehow the government’s responsibility to “keep us safe” is why we are where we are. Your safety is YOUR responsibility. Period. Any dipshit depending on the government to keep them safe has already lost the battle. Yet here we sit, with 60% of the country willingly giving up civil liberties in the name of ‘safety’. What a fucking joke this country has become.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:17 pm

Yep yep yep.

And the lack of any semblance of science behind some of these decisions. 6 feet? Totally arbitrary. 25% capacity? 50% capacity? Completely made up. Bars closed, but restaurants WITH bars? Go ahead and stay open. Walmart? Good to go. Ace Hardware? Nope...gotta close. Boutique clothing store? Shut your damned doors. It’s airborne. It’s not airborne. Wear masks outside. Wear masks inside. Don’t wear masks at the table. Wear masks between bites. Case counts up slightly? SHUT EVERYTHING BACK DOWN!!!

The hypocrisy, the confusion, the lack of understanding of basic science....there is ZERO faith in the orders being issued.

The ENTIRE premise that it’s somehow the government’s responsibility to “keep us safe” is why we are where we are. Your safety is YOUR responsibility. Period. Any dipshit depending on the government to keep them safe has already lost the battle. Yet here we sit, with 60% of the country willingly giving up civil liberties in the name of ‘safety’. What a fucking joke this country has become.
Shouldn't we apply that same logic to depending on the government for flood insurance and insuring property for floods and hurricanes?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:34 pm

Yep yep yep.

Shouldn't we apply that same logic to depending on the government for flood insurance and insuring property for floods and hurricanes?
Yes. Government shouldn’t be in the insurance business. Or the student loan business. Or the business of picking winners and losers.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Yep yep yep.

6ft: I’m sure no one ever stopped to think about how far droplets and aerosols travel before...since this is the first respiratory illness we’ve faced. Maybe they should study the particle size to see if different sizes travel different distances. Yeah they should try that with masks too. Hey, maybe different discharge rates and viral load counts depend on things like breathing versus coughing or sneezing. Arbitrary is unacceptable!

And spot on with bootstraps! The voluntary compliance is total proof that people know how to take care of themselves...

:ohno:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:33 pm

Yep yep yep.

6ft: I’m sure no one ever stopped to think about how far droplets and aerosols travel before...since this is the first respiratory illness we’ve faced. Maybe they should study the particle size to see if different sizes travel different distances. Yeah they should try that with masks too. Hey, maybe different discharge rates and viral load counts depend on things like breathing versus coughing or sneezing. Arbitrary is unacceptable!

And spot on with bootstraps! The voluntary compliance is total proof that people know how to take care of themselves...

Dont’ get me started on bootstraps. That’s an entirely different soap box. :tothehand: :tothehand:
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

This is a long Twitter thread...but worth the read

“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Dont’ get me started on bootstraps. That’s an entirely different soap box. :tothehand: :tothehand:
Actually, it’s part of the very core of why we suck so bad at Coviding.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Col Hogan wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:30 am This is a long Twitter thread...but worth the read

Yep. It all sucks and the effects are going to last for years and years.

If only we had a means to limit the duration of lockdowns.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Yep yep yep.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

HI54UNI wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:56 am Former neighbor is 107 years old an in the nursing home. Her daughter posted on FB today that she contracted Covid and survived.
The 107 year old or the daughter?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Yep yep yep.

:nod:

Sac area supposedly went into "stay at home orders" on midnight this past Thursday. I've been out and about doing my normal "essential" stuff and based on the traffic I'm seeing there aren't many people following that order.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

SDHornet wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:21 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:56 am Former neighbor is 107 years old an in the nursing home. Her daughter posted on FB today that she contracted Covid and survived.
The 107 year old or the daughter?
The 107 year old.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Now that Trump is gone, it's okay to use HCQ again! Really, the American Medical Association didn't help to kill people just because they didn't like Trump.

https://www.publishedreporter.com/2020/ ... -patients/
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Anger and defiance to the dictator in Harrisburg are growing:
Beginning Saturday, Wolf said extracurricular school activities, such as sports practices, are suspended. Restaurants will not be permitted to offer indoor service, but outdoor seating and takeout are still allowed. Business is also being temporarily suspended for other indoor facilities such as theaters, museums, movies, casinos, and gyms, though retailers can operate at 50% capacity.
I‘ve been in GA/TN/FL the last week and a half. Don‘t have to put up with any of that BS..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

89Hen wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:53 am
houndawg wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:44 am Snall businesses fail all the time, nothing to see here. Right, Z?
They do. Who the hell wants snalls anyway?
Thats something we ca nall agree on I'm sure
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:45 am Anger and defiance to the dictator in Harrisburg are growing:
Beginning Saturday, Wolf said extracurricular school activities, such as sports practices, are suspended. Restaurants will not be permitted to offer indoor service, but outdoor seating and takeout are still allowed. Business is also being temporarily suspended for other indoor facilities such as theaters, museums, movies, casinos, and gyms, though retailers can operate at 50% capacity.
I‘ve been in GA/TN/FL the last week and a half. Don‘t have to put up with any of that BS..
:crybaby: :loser:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Yep yep yep.

People appear to believe Trump and Biden and the mainstream media over their medical Doctor. 100% of the misinformation comes from Trump, Biden, social media or the mainstream media. There are a few on here and ags, that actually follow along, that this is a disease, not a political conspiracy.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:32 am
AZGrizFan wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Actually, it’s part of the very core of why we suck so bad at Coviding.
Actually, what’s at the core is our innate desire to not be fucked with and lied to repeatedly.