Blazers trade for Covington

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Blazers trade for Covington

Post by JALMOND »

Blazers sending Trevor Ariza and picks to the Houston Rockets for Robert Covington.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/303 ... riza-picks

Blazers have some nice representation of FCS talent. Lillard (Weber State), McCollum (Lehigh) and now Covington (Tennessee State).
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Blazers trade for Covington

Post by Gil Dobie »

Good trade.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:17 am Good trade.
For who?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:33 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:17 am Good trade.
For who?
Portland, it's a Portland fan that is posting this thread.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Gotta luv those 4-year FCS graduates. :thumb:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:33 am
For who?
I wasn't sure if Ganny was asking who the trade was good for or who got traded.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Blazers have wanted Covington for awhile now. Funny with all the talk about Westbrook and Harden that Covington was the first to leave the Rockets' dumpster fire.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:04 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:23 am

I'm not a huge RoCo fan - I think he's given more credit on defense than he really deserves (I don't think he's a good on the ball defender at all, where he shines is off the ball, which is useful but doesn't override his inability on the ball). I also don't think highly of him as an outside shooter, especially as a clutch outside shooter. He's just not really a guy who I think you win with when it matters, as in in the playoffs. Who knows, he might be at home then in Portland. (too soon??)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:57 pm
I'm not a huge RoCo fan - I think he's given more credit on defense than he really deserves (I don't think he's a good on the ball defender at all, where he shines is off the ball, which is useful but doesn't override his inability on the ball). I also don't think highly of him as an outside shooter, especially as a clutch outside shooter. He's just not really a guy who I think you win with when it matters, as in in the playoffs. Who knows, he might be at home then in Portland. (too soon??)
Why'd he ever leave the Sixers? Was he too much of a team player to fit in there?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:34 pm

Why'd he ever leave the Sixers? Was he too much of a team player to fit in there?
Jimmie Butler trade.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:38 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:34 pm
Janie Butler trade.
So the Sixers gave up a guy who really fit their scheme (poor shooter, can't win when it matters) because they needed a prima donna?
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

JALMOND wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:46 am Blazers have wanted Covington for awhile now. Funny with all the talk about Westbrook and Harden that Covington was the first to leave the Rockets' dumpster fire.
Why didn't they draft him coming out of college or sign him as a free agent.He could have been a impact player for them when he is on offensively he is one of the better long distance shooters and a top flight perimeter defender.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Covington his calling card his long distance shooting and during his time in Philadelphia he was the Sixers best perimeter defender.His problem in my opinion was the lack of a TAKE CHARGE mentality while in college at Tennessee St plus he was injured while in the postseason.Yes he hit a cold spell in the playoffs while playing for the Sixers and ppl on Twitter abused him viciously for his poor shooting performance.I think that when he was in college he should have developed his ball handling skills to make him a better player had he done that I think he could have been drafted at least as a late first round or early second round choice.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

dal4018 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:18 pm
JALMOND wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:46 am Blazers have wanted Covington for awhile now. Funny with all the talk about Westbrook and Harden that Covington was the first to leave the Rockets' dumpster fire.
Why didn't they draft him coming out of college or sign him as a free agent.He could have been a impact player for them when he is on offensively he is one of the better long distance shooters and a top flight perimeter defender.
The interest started while he was at the Sixers. I recall one game the Blazers played against the Sixers and he scored two three pointers in the last 10 seconds to steal that game from us. Blazers were going to pursue him in free agency but the Sixers extended him. Blazers tried again while he was at Minnesota but they traded him to Houston.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:18 am

The interest started while he was at the Sixers. I recall one game the Blazers played against the Sixers and he scored two three pointers in the last 10 seconds to steal that game from us. Blazers were going to pursue him in free agency but the Sixers extended him. Blazers tried again while he was at Minnesota but they traded him to Houston.
Good now that you guys have him he along with DAME DOLLAR and CJ should make a nice trio!!!!!!
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

I wonder how much change he is going to get?????
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Covington coming out of college was a non-entity. He made it into the league as he was one of the players unearthed during the Sixers "Process" years, as he was a G-leaguer they tried out and he stuck. Nobody was drafting this kid out of college.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dal4018 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:37 pm

Covington his calling card his long distance shooting and during his time in Philadelphia he was the Sixers best perimeter defender.His problem in my opinion was the lack of a TAKE CHARGE mentality while in college at Tennessee St plus he was injured while in the postseason.Yes he hit a cold spell in the playoffs while playing for the Sixers and ppl on Twitter abused him viciously for his poor shooting performance.I think that when he was in college he should have developed his ball handling skills to make him a better player had he done that I think he could have been drafted at least as a late first round or early second round choice.
Simmons was/is the best perimeter defender on the Sixers when Covington was here. And again, Covington's best contribution on defense is when he's off the ball. He's not a terribly good on the ball defender and that got exposed during the playoffs. With the Sixers, he was never a clutch shooter, and the tremendous dip in production come playoff time was just further proof of that. He's an NBA player and a good person to have on a team, but he's not the difference between winning a title and not winning a title.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:50 am
dal4018 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:37 pm
Simmons was/is the best perimeter defender on the Sixers when Covington was here. And again, Covington's best contribution on defense is when he's off the ball. He's not a terribly good on the ball defender and that got exposed during the playoffs. With the Sixers, he was never a clutch shooter, and the tremendous dip in production come playoff time was just further proof of that. He's an NBA player and a good person to have on a team, but he's not the difference between winning a title and not winning a title.
I never heard about Simmons being called their best defender on the perimeter and when Covington first started out in Philadelphia he led them in accuracy but yes he picked the wrong time to go ice cold for long distance shooting in the playoffs.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dal4018 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:02 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:50 am

I never heard about Simmons being called their best defender on the perimeter and when Covington first started out in Philadelphia he led them in accuracy but yes he picked the wrong time to go ice cold for long distance shooting in the playoffs.
Well, Simmons was and is the guy who will defend anyone on the other team, and in crunch time he gets the best player on the other team. And that happened while Covington was here. Covington does several things well, but defense on the ball and clutch shooting are not two of them.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Blazers not too concerned about Covington's shooting percentage going down recently. The general feeling is that Lillard will bring out the best of any shooter. Evan Turner, Moe Harkless, even Melo were all not considered (and really still aren't) good outside shooters, yet their 3-point percentages were decent when playing with Lillard. The idea is that Covington will be back up around 35% in 3-point shooting playing with Lillard.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Blazers getting Enes Kanter back...

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/celt ... er-report/

Blazers get: Enes Kanter
Grizzlies get: Mario Hezonja, Desmond Bane (30th pick in 2020 draft)
Celtics: Future Grizzlies draft pick
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:11 pm
dal4018 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:02 am
Well, Simmons was and is the guy who will defend anyone on the other team, and in crunch time he gets the best player on the other team. And that happened while Covington was here. Covington does several things well, but defense on the ball and clutch shooting are not two of them.
Well lets see what Covington does this season.