Why I'm holding my nose and voting for Trump...

Political discussions
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Why I'm holding my nose and voting for Trump...

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:37 am
89Hen wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:27 am
well, I actually agree with them on one aspect. Get rid of the national anthem, flyovers, military appreciation pandering, camo uniforms, etc., etc. that have invaded sports.
I look at it as just another commercial. I do like these commercials better than the "normal" commercials though. Flyovers are awesome when you are in attendance.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:47 am Why I‘m voting for Trump (but not holding my nose):

Domestic:
1.Judicial appointments (3 SCOTUS judges + close 300 others
2.Tax cuts for 2/3 of taxpayers.
3.Getting tougher on Illegal Immigration.
4.Unemployment before the China Virus.
5.Stock Market.
6.Ending Obamacare mandate.
7.Deregulation.
8.Aprroving Keystone and Dakota Access pipelines.
9.American Energy Independence- net exporter.
10.VA Reform/Greatly expanded what had been a limited, temporary, VA Choice Program.
11.Criminal Justice Reform.
12.Creation of Space Force.

Foreign policy:
1.Renegotiating NAFTA (United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement
2.Pulling out of TPP (Trans Pacific Partnership).
3.Getting tough on China. A trade war is bad, but with China:
-we have a massive trade deficit.
-China puts tarriffs on US goods.
-They manipulate their currency.
-They committ massive state sponsored economic espionage.
4.Nixing the terrible Iran Deal
-Didn’t allow for unannounced, unfettered inspections
-Unfroze 150 billion in Iranian assets.
-1.7 billion direct cash to Iran
5.Pulling out of the Paris Climate deal.
-Not a treaty.
-Didn’t hold China & India to same standards.
-Would cost our economy trillions long term, with marginal benefit in terms of stopping any human caused global warming
6.Getting deadbeat NATO countries to to pay more.
7.Pulling out of Syria.
8.Opening dialogue with North Korea.
9.Middle East Peace deal (Nobel Peace Prize nomination)
10.Balkans peace deal. (Nobel Peace Prize nomination).
11.3rd Nobel Peace Prize nomination.
11.Killing of Al Baghdadi- founder ISIS.
12.Killing of Soleimani.
13.US Embassy moved to Jerusalem.

And those are just the 1st 25 off the top of my head..
I'm paying more in taxes under Trump..but that's also due to being a high wage earner. So i'm not sure if that's helpful or not.

I'm not sure you can give any POTUS credit for the stock market or unemployment. Sure they may help create conditions that would affect the markets - maybe that's the more accurate gauge of success. I'm open to the possibilities there...

New NAFTA is probably one of his greatest achievements.

We still have a massive trade deficit with China (not to mention our national debt has exploded). I'd like to see some forward progress on this front. It's about time someone stood up to China.

Moving the Embassy to Jerusalem was a pander to the Jews. i'm not sure it's an achievement.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:12 am
BDKJMU wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:47 am Why I‘m voting for Trump (but not holding my nose):

Domestic:
5.Stock Market.
7.Deregulation.
10.VA Reform/Greatly expanded what had been a limited, temporary, VA Choice Program.

Foreign policy:
-Not a treaty.
-Would cost our economy trillions long term, with marginal benefit in terms of stopping any human caused global warming
7.Pulling out of Syria.
12.Killing of Soleimani.

I'm paying more in taxes under Trump..but that's also due to being a high wage earner. So i'm not sure if that's helpful or not.

I'm not sure you can give any POTUS credit for the stock market or unemployment. Sure they may help create conditions that would affect the markets - maybe that's the more accurate gauge of success. I'm open to the possibilities there...

We still have a massive trade deficit with China (not to mention our national debt has exploded). I'd like to see some forward progress on this front. It's about time someone stood up to China.

Moving the Embassy to Jerusalem was a pander to the Jews. i'm not sure it's an achievement.
The move to Jerusalem had been voted on and approved by Congress, but nobody had done it because the "experts" said it would cause a war in the Middle East.

A little more than pandering.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

You are slowly getting there, Grasshopper. Keep working on it. :thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:16 am
Getting where? I've long held that belief. If Presidents could control the markets, we'd all have jobs and the DOW would never drop and we'd all be gazzillionaires.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:00 am

The move to Jerusalem had been voted on and approved by Congress, but nobody had done it because the "experts" said it would cause a war in the Middle East.

Yeah, it was a pander move. Honestly, name me a politician who DOESN'T pander i'll write you a check.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:58 am My voting is based on what's good for America as a whole, and not what is good for me personally.
With that said, I have three main pillars of political posture:
1. Liberty - Freedom afforded to Americans based on current laws and the Constitution.
2. Safety/Security - Both nationally (strong military) and locally (law enforcement)
3. Jobs - People need to have jobs and be accountable for their own consumerism and have ability to advance in class.

Anything else is a distant 4, 5, 6,....but as those are added in, it becomes harder and harder to find a perfect match. Not that the Top 3 are an easy match, but it's a matter of choosing the better candidate.

Until Trump, we really didn't have to worry too much about divisiveness due to personality. Previous candidates were mostly divisive because of policies and not personality. Trump has created a new category to consider that falls somewhere on the list below the Top 3. But it still doesn't supplant any of the Top 3 so it's not a factor for me.

With all that said, I voted for Trump in the General Election (not primary) in 2016 and will do so again in 2020 because I think he is the better candidate for the Top 3 pillars.
I would add that you DO have to look at the character of the person. If someone is known to have no integrity, for instance, then you know won't be able to trust them. If I can't trust my leader, I can'e vote for them. The policies are important, but the personality is equally important. If their personality is so vile that that can't work with both parties, then it doesn't really matter how good their policies may be b/c they'll never get anywhere.

It's difficult to reconcile the character of a candidate with their positions and what they want to do. But you also need to take into account that while the President can support ideas and have an agenda - he's basically powerless if he can't work with 535 Congresspeople. Executive Actions only have so much force and effect.

Hillary Clinton could run on the GOP platform and she still wouldn't get my vote b/c she lacks integrity. She is a phony, plain and simple.

Really, i'm looking forward to Nikki Haley 2024. It can't come soon enough. :coffee:
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:26 am
SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:00 am

Yeah, it was a pander move. Honestly, name me a politician who DOESN'T pander i'll write you a check.
Not disagreeing it wasn't, but at least Trump had the foresight to actually move instead of just lip service.

It was the start of him ignoring the Palestinians in regards to the Middle East. That's what I meant by it being a little more than pandering. There was a goal attached to it as well.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:46 am

Not disagreeing it wasn't, but at least Trump had the foresight to actually move instead of just lip service.

It was the start of him ignoring the Palestinians in regards to the Middle East. That's what I meant by it being a little more than pandering. There was a goal attached to it as well.
I agree with you on this one. Trump is a buffoon, but he may have come across a reset of the Middle East that really has a genuine chance of working. His tearing up of the Iranian agreement was probably the biggest thing, but the symbolic move of the embassy was certainly part of it as well. One of Obama's biggest failings was his foreign policy, and especially his foreign policy in the Middle East. His Iranian agreement was more desperation to get something to hang his hat on and was entirely deferential to the Iranians. Now with countries normalizing relations with Israel without regard to the Palestinian question, it's possible you will see more countries follow suit as they decide that's better than trying to hang on to that. It's a far better situation than the one he started with. John Kerry is almost the Neville Chamberlain of our time in this regard.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Domestic:
5.Stock Market.
7.Deregulation.

Foreign policy:
-Not a treaty.
7.Pulling out of Syria.
12.Killing of Soleimani.

Did your income change a lot or did you have some other changes that your taxes went up?
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:31 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:58 am My voting is based on what's good for America as a whole, and not what is good for me personally.
1. Liberty - Freedom afforded to Americans based on current laws and the Constitution.
2. Safety/Security - Both nationally (strong military) and locally (law enforcement)
3. Jobs - People need to have jobs and be accountable for their own consumerism and have ability to advance in class.

Anything else is a distant 4, 5, 6,....but as those are added in, it becomes harder and harder to find a perfect match. Not that the Top 3 are an easy match, but it's a matter of choosing the better candidate.

Until Trump, we really didn't have to worry too much about divisiveness due to personality. Previous candidates were mostly divisive because of policies and not personality. Trump has created a new category to consider that falls somewhere on the list below the Top 3. But it still doesn't supplant any of the Top 3 so it's not a factor for me.

With all that said, I voted for Trump in the General Election (not primary) in 2016 and will do so again in 2020 because I think he is the better candidate for the Top 3 pillars.
I would add that you DO have to look at the character of the person. If someone is known to have no integrity, for instance, then you know won't be able to trust them. If I can't trust my leader, I can'e vote for them. The policies are important, but the personality is equally important. If their personality is so vile that that can't work with both parties, then it doesn't really matter how good their policies may be b/c they'll never get anywhere.

It's difficult to reconcile the character of a candidate with their positions and what they want to do. But you also need to take into account that while the President can support ideas and have an agenda - he's basically powerless if he can't work with 535 Congresspeople. Executive Actions only have so much force and effect.

Hillary Clinton could run on the GOP platform and she still wouldn't get my vote b/c she lacks integrity. She is a phony, plain and simple.

Really, i'm looking forward to Nikki Haley 2024. It can't come soon enough. :coffee:
So what do you do when all candidates that have a reasonable shot at winning lack integrity/character?
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:24 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:16 am
Getting where? I've long held that belief. If Presidents could control the markets, we'd all have jobs and the DOW would never drop and we'd all be gazzillionaires.
What belief have you long held? You said "I'm not sure...", "Maybe...", and "I'm open....", all in one paragraph. :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SeattleGriz wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:46 am

I see what you mean. :thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

HI54UNI wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:59 am

Did your income change a lot or did you have some other changes that your taxes went up?
No.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:09 am
Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:24 am

What belief have you long held? You said "I'm not sure...", "Maybe...", and "I'm open....", all in one paragraph. :lol:
Belief that POTUS has no control over the stock market or employment. Seems like too many people think the stock market rises b/c Trump wills it.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:06 am

So what do you do when all candidates that have a reasonable shot at winning lack integrity/character?
Vote for the one who’s more of a uniter and has at least some intellectual curiosity.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:55 pm Vote for the one who’s more of a uniter
:rofl: You're so cute.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:27 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:55 pm Vote for the one who’s more of a uniter
:rofl: You're so cute.
:lol: :lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:55 pm
Vote for the one who’s more of a uniter and has at least some intellectual curiosity.
Which one is that?

Plagiarism is pretty much the opposite of intellectual curiosity.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Vote for the one that isn’t a lying, cheating, bullying horses ass.

Or stay home.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

:suspicious: There’s nobody running who fits that profile
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:17 pm
HI54UNI wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:59 am

No.
That's odd. Did you have a lot of state and local deductions that are no longer deductible? In 2019 my AGI was up $18,000 from 2017 and I paid $700 less in income taxes.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Are you speaking of Trump here? Because while personality is important, his lack of one doesn’t appear to have stopped him from getting a lot of shit done. He accomplished more in 4 years than Obama could only dream of in 8. And a shitload of it helped black People.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:45 pm

Are you speaking of Trump here? Because while personality is important, his lack of one doesn’t appear to have stopped him from getting a lot of shit done. He accomplished more in 4 years than Obama could only dream of in 8. And a shitload of it helped black People.
Lies.
Go Black Bears!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:01 pm

:suspicious: There’s nobody running who fits that profile
:lol:

You guys are right. I forgot a whataboutBiden? comment with that.

I’m voting for the candidate that at least has/had some trace of uniting people and intellectual curiosity.