Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:07 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:47 pm

So the Hens are to Montana what Minnesota is to Alabama? ;)
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Is that like a Midwest insider joke? Did Minnesota once beat 'Bama in a bowl game or something? Did they win national titles sometime after that? How's ethanol doing these days? :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:24 am
Is that like a Midwest insider joke? Did Minnesota once beat 'Bama in a bowl game or something? Did they win national titles sometime after that? How's ethanol doing these days? :coffee:
Minnesota is 1-0 vs. Bama and is a former proud national champion that is now sadly irrelevant but hoping to return to the glory days like UD.

Someday UD'll wish upon a star
Wake up where the clouds are far behind it
Where trouble melts like lemon drops
High above the chimney top

:D
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Looks like Minny beat a 6-5 Alabama in a 2004 bowl game... a year after Bama went 4-9 while losing to Hawaii, Northern Illinois... so who didn't beat Alabama then? So it's kinda like Delaware going into Montana and beating a 10-1 Montana team whose only loss was to Oregon (35-30). :lol:
DuckDuckGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by DuckDuckGriz »

89Hen wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:12 am

Looks like Minny beat a 6-5 Alabama in a 2004 bowl game... a year after Bama went 4-9 while losing to Hawaii, Northern Illinois... so who didn't beat Alabama then? So it's kinda like Delaware going into Montana and beating a 10-1 Montana team whose only loss was to Oregon (35-30). :lol:
Oh my god, 20+ years of coming on to these boards and long gaps of absence in between and we're still hearing 49-48.

:x
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

DuckDuckGriz wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:12 am
Oh my god, 20+ years of coming on to these boards and long gaps of absence in between and we're still hearing 49-48.

When you're a wobegone Hens fan you have to hang on to whatever glory you can.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Should've had a better kicker then. :mrgreen:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:44 am

You're a UNI fan, you aspire to be able to hang onto glory like Hens fans can do. :rofl:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:44 am

Unlike fans of teams that have never reached the pinnacle. Then you have to ride the coattails of other teams for trash talking.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:42 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:14 am James Madison has the most players on 53-man active rosters with seven followed by Delaware, Harvard, North Dakota State and South Carolina State with six each. North Dakota State, the three-time defending national champion, has five players on practice squads, bringing its overall total to 11, the high among FCS programs.
Interesting. JMU had 13 at the start of training camp (school record)+ a 14th sign during camp. 7 made 53 man + 2-3 on practice squads = 9 or 10. Looks like 4-5 got cut.
Make that 8.
https://www.colts.com/news/rondell-cart ... as-cowboys
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

NDSU now has 8 on 53 man rosters, with Darrius Shepherd moving up to the Packers roster last week.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:46 pm NDSU now has 8 on 53 man rosters, with Darrius Shepherd moving up to the Packers roster last week.
Figures the 2 teams with the most would be NDSU & JMU.

JMU 11 on rosters since the start of the regular season. 3 regular starters + 3 more that started a game. Had 14 training camp, 5 cut (3 rookies).
-Earl Watford OG Bucs (2013 4th Rd pick Cardinals) (Brought out of retirement by Bucs for the playoffs).
-Daniel Brown, TE Jets (2015 UDFA).
-Josh Well, OT Bucs (2015 UDFA) (Started 1 game).
-Dean Marlowe, FS Bills (2015 UDFA) (Starter).
-Rashard Davis CB/RS Titans (2017 UDFA).
-Aaron Stinnie, OG Bucs (2018 UDFA) (Started playoff game vs Saints).
-Raven Green, S Packers (2018 UDFA) (Starting before season ending injury).
-Jimmy Moreland, CB Redskins, (2019 7th rd) (Starter).
-Ben Dinucci, QB Dallas (2020 7th rd) (Started 1 game).
-Rondell Carter, DE Colts (2020 UDFA).

Practice:
-Ishmael Hyman, WR Panthers (2018 AAF, 2019 UDFA).
Last edited by BDKJMU on Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

One of NDSU’s 2 possible 1st rd draft picks (1st round in several mock drafts) just played his last college game.
https://startribune.com/radunz-gives-nd ... 572617452/
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:01 pm Image
Yeah, the Trey Lance thing will be fascinating to watch in the pros. He has very little work to judge on in the college ranks and even early on in his only year he was pretty unremarkable. He has all the intangibles (size, strength, etc) so he has that going for him. Plus you just have the roll of the dice that is the QB position - there are more cases of highly drafted QB's failing in the NFL than there are them succeeding. Figure with a success rate like that means taking a flier on Lance isn't that much more of a risk.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:45 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:01 pm
Yeah, the Trey Lance thing will be fascinating to watch in the pros. He has very little work to judge on in the college ranks and even early on in his only year he was pretty unremarkable. He has all the intangibles (size, strength, etc) so he has that going for him. Plus you just have the roll of the dice that is the QB position - there are more cases of highly drafted QB's failing in the NFL than there are them succeeding. Figure with a success rate like that means taking a flier on Lance isn't that much more of a risk.
He is looking at first round money now, versus playing another possible 20+ games avoiding injury. If he plays in the spring, he misses the draft. He did say he is planning on working with people to improve his skills for combines this spring. He has started 17 games. His "Competition" for the #2 QB selected, Justin Fields has started 14 games for Ohio St, and probably max out at 23 total games started. No one knows how much he will play in the NFL, but I hope he does well.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

His game Sat acainst UCA (not a defensive powerhouse by any means) couldn‘t have helped on the passing front:
Passing 15-30, 149 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT.
Rushing 15 carries, 143 yds, 2 TDs.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:13 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:45 am

He is looking at first round money now, versus playing another possible 20+ games avoiding injury. If he plays in the spring, he misses the draft. He did say he is planning on working with people to improve his skills for combines this spring. He has started 17 games. His "Competition" for the #2 QB selected, Justin Fields has started 14 games for Ohio St, and probably max out at 23 total games started. No one knows how much he will play in the NFL, but I hope he does well.
While I agree he should stop playing now, if he plays in the Spring, he would‘t miss the draft, currently scheduled 4/29-5/1. There will likely some late round picks (possibly even sleeper mid round) from I-AA who will be playing in the Spring. Easy decision for Lance and Radnunz to stop playing now. Maybe there are a couple other I-AA projected mid round, I don’t know. But for the few doz or so I-AA players who are pro prospects and weren’t able to grad transfer up, and who are projected late round/UDFA, or possible UDFA, thats a really tough decision as to whether or not to play in the Spring. Combine in late Feb, schools have ‘Pro Days’ I guess March-early April (JMU was late March last yr).
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BTW this recent mock has Lance 8th and Radnunz 9th.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/new ... er-weapon/

Imagine if that happened. The 2 teams with 2 top 10 picks. Not Alabama, not LSU, not Clempson, but Ohio St, and ..NDSU..
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:51 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:13 am

While I agree he should stop playing now, if he plays in the Spring, he would‘t miss the draft, currently scheduled 4/29-5/1. There will likely some late round picks (possibly even sleeper mid round) from I-AA who will be playing in the Spring. Easy decision for Lance and Radnunz to stop playing now. Maybe there are a couple other I-AA projected mid round, I don’t know. But for the few doz or so I-AA players who are pro prospects and weren’t able to grad transfer up, and who are projected late round/UDFA, or possible UDFA, thats a really tough decision as to whether or not to play in the Spring. Combine in late Feb, schools have ‘Pro Days’ I guess March-early April (JMU was late March last yr).
Playoffs start 4/24 from what I've heard, championship 5/15 if they make it that far, that leaves no time for the pro days and combine and still practice for his college team.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:07 am
BDKJMU wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:51 am
Playoffs start 4/24 from what I've heard, championship 5/15 if they make it that far, that leaves no time for the pro days and combine and still practice for his college team.
The combine has historically been during the last week in Feb. NDSU shows bye week on 2/28. And FWIW some top projected 1st round guys don't even do the combine, but private workouts, interviews, etc.
Pro days for most schools is 1 day on campus for March-April timeframe.

For the rest of the I-AA pro prospects, some conferences aren't starting league play until March (CAA 3/6), with OOC earlier. JMU for example has a game scheduled with Robert Morris on 2/28. If JMU's top 2 remaining pro prospects do decide to play in the Spring, and get combine invites for the last week in Feb, I'm sure they'll skip Robert Morris @ JMU on 2/28 (73-7 in 2018).

Schools having byes around late March/early April (ex CAA) that have any pro prospects playing in the Spring, will probably have pro days on bye weeks.

There invariably will be a few combine participants and/or drafted guys that play in the Spring, esp late risers. And a lot of UDFA & rookie tryouts.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:35 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:07 am

The combine has historically been during the last week in Feb. NDSU shows bye week on 2/28. And FWIW some top projected 1st round guys don't even do the combine, but private workouts, interviews, etc.

For the rest of the I-AA pro prospects, some conferences aren't starting league play until March (CAA 3/6), with OOC earlier. JMU for example has a game scheduled with Robert Morris on 2/28. If JMU's top 2 remaining pro prospects do decide to play in the Spring, and get combine invites for the last week in Feb, I'm sure they'll skip Robert Morris @ JMU on 2/28 (73-7 in 2018).

Schools having byes around late March/early April (ex CAA) that have any pro prospects playing in the Spring, will probably have pro days on bye weeks.

There invariably will be a few combine participants and/or drafted guys that play in the Spring, esp late risers. And a lot of UDFA & rookie tryouts.
They will have to wait until they are finished with playoffs before they sign UDFA's, which could be a week or 2 after the draft. Can you sign as a UDFA if you did not declare for the draft? Key words "Undrafted".
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:55 pm

They will have to wait until they are finished with playoffs before they sign UDFA's, which could be a week or 2 after the draft. Can you sign as a UDFA if you did not declare for the draft? Key words "Undrafted".
Players are draft-eligible only in the year after the end of their college eligibility.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

There's already been exceptions to things this year. That might be another.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:01 pm

Players are draft-eligible only in the year after the end of their college eligibility.
In the Wiinter/Spring I-AA/Div II/Div III will be playing the "2020" season, and will be having the 2021 draft, so any 2020 seniors would be drafted in the year after the end of their college eligibility.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:39 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:01 pm

In the Wiinter/Spring I-AA/Div II/Div III will be playing the "2020" season, and will be having the 2021 draft, so any 2020 seniors would be drafted in the year after the end of their college eligibility.
The NFL would have to make an exception to allow players not declared for the draft and/or the NCAA and exception for players to talk with agents while still actively playing.