Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Re: 2020 General Election

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:13 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:58 am

I am not that worried about him, true believer or not. The items that he would like to push are pretty well protected by existing court precedents and he is not that likely to raise taxes or expand the welfare state.

Harris on the other hand is much more likely to push for regulations and taxes that will directly impact my hobbies and wallet.
I'm more worried about Pence having the nuclear football than I am Trump and Trump's unpredictability and instability scare me.
Why? There are more checks and balances with the release of nuclear weapons than you can possibly imagine. Him going rogue and deciding to let off a few (and being able to) is not even worth considering. The only thing he can do is order a release, and then it has to be approved through multiple layers afterwards.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:46 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:24 am

Pence scares me. He's worse than Ted Cruz. He comes across as a true believer. A religious zealot who would be fine with starting armageddon because it would bring about judgement day where he and his loved ones ascend into heaven while sinners descend into hell.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:47 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:13 pm
I'm more worried about Pence having the nuclear football than I am Trump and Trump's unpredictability and instability scare me.
Why? There are more checks and balances with the release of nuclear weapons than you can possibly imagine. Him going rogue and deciding to let off a few (and being able to) is not even worth considering. The only thing he can do is order a release, and then it has to be approved through multiple layers afterwards.
You're right but I have an extreme dislike for sanctimonious religious zealots be they Christian, Muslim or something else.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:52 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:47 pm

You're right but I have an extreme dislike for sanctimonious religious zealots be they Christian, Muslim or something else.
Fair enough and valid.

I have an extreme dislike for those on the extreme. Which might be a conundrum and I probably should spend some time contemplating that over a beer or two. :D

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:10 pm As bad ad Biden is, the Democrats are energized for this election. They would vote for almost anyone over Trump. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt by saying almost anyone.
Well, they're doing their best to prove that. Who would've imagined in the time of the BLM protests and the End Racism movements and Defund the Police that the Democrats would actually roll out for their Presidential candidate an almost 80 year old white guy who put his kids in a white private school in opposition to desegregated busing that would've had his kids go to a much more diverse school and is also the same guy who, even when he still had all of his mental faculties, authored the crime bill in the 90's that was primarily responsible for incarcerating an entire generation of Black youths. And then on top of that the party picks a VP candidate who, as the top cop in her state, implemented a lot of what was in that crime bill, including sending to jail a host of Black youths for simple possession of marijuana, even while she went home and smoked some weed herself. And this is the ticket that will get 90% of the Black vote.

With Trump as President we already knew we were living in crazy times, but they just get crazier and crazier. I'm still hoping that the clouds break and we have some sanity when it comes around to 2024, but that's probably wishful thinking.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

So when are we going to talk about the POTUS intentionally sabotaging our own mailing system to improve his chances of re-election? Who needs Russian meddling when he can interfere with the election process himself.

House should vote on impeachment.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:28 pm So when are we going to talk about the POTUS intentionally sabotaging our own mailing system to improve his chances of re-election? Who needs Russian meddling when he can interfere with the election process himself.

Why don’t you go meddle in an election in your ancestral homeland of Lebanon? They could use your help.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

I'll take politics for $400
∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:28 pm House should vote on impeachment.
What is "something every good liberal has been saying since November 9, 2016?"
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

∞∞∞ wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:28 pm So when are we going to talk about the POTUS intentionally sabotaging our own mailing system to improve his chances of re-election? Who needs Russian meddling when he can interfere with the election process himself.

Intentionally sabotaging the USPS to improve his chances of reelection is despicable and I wouldn't put it past Trump.

On the flip side, while the USPS does perform an important service it is inefficient. How much could they save if they went to every other day delivery? Half a zip code gets mail on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and the other half gets it on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. We don't need every day mail delivery.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:55 pm We don't need every day mail delivery.
+1
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:18 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:55 pm We don't need every day mail delivery.
+1
+2. I pick up my mail about every 8-10 days. I get maybe 1-2 pieces of useful info and the rest never makes it into the house.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Intentionally sabotaging the USPS to improve his chances of reelection is despicable and I wouldn't put it past Trump.

On the flip side, while the USPS does perform an important service it is inefficient. How much could they save if they went to every other day delivery? Half a zip code gets mail on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and the other half gets it on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. We don't need every day mail delivery.
Proposals to end Saturday delivery and close inefficient small post offices have been shot down for years. “But I needs muh Bugtussle, SC post office!”
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:09 pm

Proposals to end Saturday delivery and close inefficient small post offices have been shot down for years. “But I needs muh Bugtussle, SC post office!”
We have a post office in the town I grew up in. Population of 90.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:09 pm
89Hen wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:18 pm

+1
+2. I pick up my mail about every 8-10 days. I get maybe 1-2 pieces of useful info and the rest never makes it into the house.
Mail keeps my recycling folks employed.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:55 pmIntentionally sabotaging the USPS to improve his chances of reelection is despicable and I wouldn't put it past Trump.
He admitted it.
President Donald Trump frankly acknowledged Thursday that he’s starving the U.S. Postal Service of money in order to make it harder to process an expected surge of mail-in ballots, which he worries could cost him the election.

In an interview on Fox Business Network, Trump explicitly noted two funding provisions that Democrats are seeking in a relief package that has stalled on Capitol Hill. Without the additional money, he said, the Postal Service won’t have the resources to handle a flood of ballots from voters who are seeking to avoid polling places during the coronavirus pandemic.
https://apnews.com/14a2ceda724623604cc8d8e5ab9890ed
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

You can't have a mail-in voting system if more than one half of one the major parties don't accept it. There's MUST be an overwhelming, bi-partisan consensus for this to work.

It's amazing how myopic we've become. The coming shit-show might be the stiffest test this nation will face in over 150 years.

And the Democrats are giving Trump, should he lose, a built-in reason to reject the election results.

This is the wrong time in out history to try something so dramatically different than what he have done before.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

JoltinJoe wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:34 pm You can't have a mail-in voting system if more than one half of one the major parties don't accept it. There's MUST be an overwhelming, bi-partisan consensus for this to work.

It's amazing how myopic we've become. The coming shit-show might be the stiffest test this nation will face in over 150 years.

And the Democrats are giving Trump, should he lose, a built-in reason to reject the election results.

This is the wrong time in out history to try something so dramatically different than what he have done before.
Isn't the opposite also true with Trump gutting the USPS?

If COVID19 makes voting in-person difficult and we can't use mail-in voting, why not expand the timeframe for voting? There should be a way to overcome physical distancing restrictions and still allow people to vote. The problem is that both sides are stuck on stupid and want a solution most likely to benefit them.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

JoltinJoe wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:34 pm You can't have a mail-in voting system if more than one half of one the major parties don't accept it. There's MUST be an overwhelming, bi-partisan consensus for this to work.

Except that it’s been done for years in WA and OR with nary a complaint.

These are extraordinary times and safe/verifiable voting is achievable if we want to do it.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:49 pm

These are extraordinary times and safe/verifiable voting is achievable if we want to do it.
Everyone I've talked to (conservatives and liberals) in Oregon love it.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:So when are we going to talk about the POTUS intentionally sabotaging our own mailing system to improve his chances of re-election? Who needs Russian meddling when he can interfere with the election process himself.

Why not just make absentee voting universal?

Americans have been voting by absentee ballot forever.. the system is already in place

Plus, it favors the DNC because they are experts at díqualifying absentee ballots and have been doing it for years (see FL 2000).. since most absentees came from military deployed... those people that “everybody” supports

Reinventing the wheel: the left always seems to come up with a square one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:47 pm

If COVID19 makes voting in-person difficult and we can't use mail-in voting, why not expand the timeframe for voting? There should be a way to overcome physical distancing restrictions and still allow people to vote. The problem is that both sides are stuck on stupid and want a solution most likely to benefit them.
Which is why this is the wrong time to allow something different.
JoltinJoe
Level4
Level4

Post by JoltinJoe »

kalm wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:49 pm

When a wide consensus reaches the point where you are, then we can successfully do this.

That time is not now.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

JoltinJoe wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:42 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:47 pm

Which is why this is the wrong time to allow something different.
Why during the time of COVID19 and physical distancing should in-person voting be limited to a single day? That too is asking for questionable results. Sticking to what we've always done is selfish and stupid.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Why spend fiddy cents to mail a letter when Fedex could do it for $23.00?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

There's obviously not going to be a national mail-in voting system anytime soon, certainly not by November.

The Constitution leaves it to the states to administer the elections. If individual states want to do mail-in, they can do it, as some have done in the past. It's not something dramatically different than what we've done in the past.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)