What will happen with the 2020 college football season?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: What will happen with the 2020 college football season?

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:26 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:57 am
Saw some B1G HC's advocating for playing outside of the conference if it is cancelled. Not sure how much sway they have but if anything it'll give their respective universities a PR nightmare to deal with the fallout, and rightfully so.
Yep, Harbaugh and Frost among them. Frost says Nebraska should play Indy if necessary. Says they’re looking at 80-120 million hit not playing..

Growing movement of players and coaches that are saying they should play. Trump backs them..
How much of that 80-120 million are they going to save by playing in front of smaller or no crowds?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:57 am Saw some B1G HC's advocating for playing outside of the conference if it is cancelled. Not sure how much sway they have but if anything it'll give their respective universities a PR nightmare to deal with the fallout, and rightfully so.
Maryland is obviously not a "big" but they had already cancelled their OOC games several weeks ago. There will be no football guys.

This is actually great news for the Terps. They didn't have a great 2020 recruiting class, but 2021 is very solid. 8-)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:55 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:26 pm
Yep, Harbaugh and Frost among them. Frost says Nebraska should play Indy if necessary. Says they’re looking at 80-120 million hit not playing..

Growing movement of players and coaches that are saying they should play. Trump backs them..
How much of that 80-120 million are they going to save by playing in front of smaller or no crowds?
I think the B10 loses out on $400M in TV monies alone if no games are played. Then there is attendance (which would be down as I assume they would not be allowed at full capacity) and concessions lost revenue as well. These schools are going to be facing a financial nightmare with this decision.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

kalm wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:45 am
SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:53 am

I'm hoping we see a regionalization for the G5 and FCS, and the P5 finally gets their split. :nod:
:nod:
I hate the idea of regionalization, at least if you mean it in the way DII does it. The playoff matchups end up being the same every year.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:51 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:45 am

:nod:
I hate the idea of regionalization, at least if you mean it in the way DII does it. The playoff matchups end up being the same every year.
Conference regionalization is what I was thinking. Not playoffs.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:36 pm Yup, expect the Pac 12 to go along too. I wouldn't think the other 3 (B12, ACC, and SEC) follow at this time - the SEC's start of season was already pushed back to late September anyway, so they have time to wait and have been more keen on playing.

It'll be interesting what coaches and players say at this point considering their vociferousness yesterday. Heck, you wonder if the other 3 play whether players defect from the B10 and Pac 12 and move to play.

Spring football for the FBS seems like a non-starter - they'll lose all of the players that will enter the draft and there's still the question of how you play a season in the spring and then play again in the fall. Guys who get injured in the spring have a good chance of missing two seasons then. In addition, you wonder what will be different in the spring - absent a vaccine that is really effective and widely distributed how will anything be different 5-6 months?

You have to figure this is the end of winter college sports too - most of those start practices in October and play in November, and are inside sports, so this is likely the deathknell for those seasons too.
Guys who got season ending injuries early in a winter/spring season (Jan or Feb) (assuming Jan start of pads practice, Feb start of games) would mostly be back by the following Aug. If they got a season ending injury late in a winter/spring season (April/May) then maybe they miss the fall season. In that case though, they’ve gotten to play the majority of the winter/spring season, so they aren’t missing 2 seasons.

Playing a winter/spring season you might have a 1-2 guys on avg per team miss 2 whole seasons, and a couple more miss part of the winter/spring, and the fall. But that’s preferable to 100+ guys missing an entire season.

A fall season is far more preferable to the spring. A spring season is more preferable to no season at all.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:11 pm
GannonFan wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:36 pm Yup, expect the Pac 12 to go along too. I wouldn't think the other 3 (B12, ACC, and SEC) follow at this time - the SEC's start of season was already pushed back to late September anyway, so they have time to wait and have been more keen on playing.

It'll be interesting what coaches and players say at this point considering their vociferousness yesterday. Heck, you wonder if the other 3 play whether players defect from the B10 and Pac 12 and move to play.

Spring football for the FBS seems like a non-starter - they'll lose all of the players that will enter the draft and there's still the question of how you play a season in the spring and then play again in the fall. Guys who get injured in the spring have a good chance of missing two seasons then. In addition, you wonder what will be different in the spring - absent a vaccine that is really effective and widely distributed how will anything be different 5-6 months?

You have to figure this is the end of winter college sports too - most of those start practices in October and play in November, and are inside sports, so this is likely the deathknell for those seasons too.
Guys who got season ending injuries early in a winter/spring season (Jan or Feb) (assuming Jan start of pads practice, Feb start of games) would mostly be back by the following Aug. If they got a season ending injury late in a winter/spring season (April/May) then maybe they miss the fall season. In that case though, they’ve gotten to play the majority of the winter/spring season, so they aren’t missing 2 seasons.

Playing a winter/spring season you might have a 1-2 guys on avg per team miss 2 whole seasons, and a couple more miss part of the winter/spring, and the fall. But that’s preferable to 100+ guys missing an entire season.

A fall season is far more preferable to the spring. A spring season is more preferable to no season at all.
You're dreaming if you think they'll play in the spring. What's going to change between now and then that will make that happen? Even if we get a vaccine, maybe by the end of this calendar year, the rollout will take at least several months, and that's assuming there's a vaccine at all, and that it's really good (close to 90% effective - most aren't anywhere close to that on easier to solve viruses). They balked at playing this fall based on the long term heart impacts that some one who got COVID and recovered would still have. The odds of that happening are pretty slim, but it was enough to close it down. Those odds are still going to be there for quite some time. The Pac 12 already shut things down until Jan 1 (likely ending winter sports, like basketball, as well). The big conferences are not going to play spring football (NFL draft is April, anyone with a shot of being drafted or being an UDFA will not play). The only chance of football between now and next fall are the remaining three P5 conferences and potentially a handful of other teams. And really, based on the rationale for why they pulled the plug now, there's a lot of doubt if they'll play football in the fall of 2021 either.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
bluehenbillk
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: elaware

Post by bluehenbillk »

So from everything I'm hearing yesterday, if they would play in the spring, then they won't play college football in the fall of 2021 either. Strong sentiment across the board against having college athletes play two seasons in one calendar year. If that's the case, just skip spring & play a normal full slate next September.
Make Delaware Football Great Again
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

NDSU is shooting for a game at Nebraska. Probably won't happen, as the B1G said Nebraska is out of the Conference if it plays this fall.

Link

FARGO — The Big Ten Conference shutdown of fall football because of the COVID-19 pandemic didn't please everybody in the league. The University of Nebraska made it known, if not adamantly, that it still wants to play.

So does North Dakota State and the Bison have contacted the Cornhuskers about playing a non-conference game in Lincoln, Neb., NDSU athletic director Matt Larsen confirmed. It's not often NDSU reveals who it is targeting for an FBS game.

The Cornhuskers were originally scheduled to host South Dakota State on Sept. 19, but that game was scratched when the Big Ten announced in early July it was going to league games only. The Jackrabbits were slated to get a $515,000 guarantee.

NDSU's guarantee game at the University of Oregon for the Sept. 5 opener was also cancelled when the Pac-12 Conference went to league games only. This week, both the Big Ten and Pac-12 postponed football altogether to the spring.

Among those with Nebraska ties pushing for something this fall include head coach Scott Frost, athletic director Bill Moos and Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse, who wrote an open letter on why football should be played this fall.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:18 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:11 pm

You're dreaming if you think they'll play in the spring. What's going to change between now and then that will make that happen? Even if we get a vaccine, maybe by the end of this calendar year, the rollout will take at least several months, and that's assuming there's a vaccine at all, and that it's really good (close to 90% effective - most aren't anywhere close to that on easier to solve viruses). They balked at playing this fall based on the long term heart impacts that some one who got COVID and recovered would still have. The odds of that happening are pretty slim, but it was enough to close it down. Those odds are still going to be there for quite some time. The Pac 12 already shut things down until Jan 1 (likely ending winter sports, like basketball, as well). The big conferences are not going to play spring football (NFL draft is April, anyone with a shot of being drafted or being an UDFA will not play). The only chance of football between now and next fall are the remaining three P5 conferences and potentially a handful of other teams. And really, based on the rationale for why they pulled the plug now, there's a lot of doubt if they'll play football in the fall of 2021 either.
I didn't say they would have a spring season. You're completely changing the topic of my response to your claim of:
Guys who get injured in the spring have a good chance of missing two seasons then.
as a reason for not having a winter/spring season. If there's no winter/spring season (and I agree there likely won't be), it won't be because of a worry of guys being injured in the winter/spring, and missing the fall. Its going to be because of virus worries that you laid out above.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:08 am NDSU is shooting for a game at Nebraska. Probably won't happen, as the B1G said Nebraska is out of the Conference if it plays this fall.

Link

FARGO — The Big Ten Conference shutdown of fall football because of the COVID-19 pandemic didn't please everybody in the league. The University of Nebraska made it known, if not adamantly, that it still wants to play.

So does North Dakota State and the Bison have contacted the Cornhuskers about playing a non-conference game in Lincoln, Neb., NDSU athletic director Matt Larsen confirmed. It's not often NDSU reveals who it is targeting for an FBS game.

The Cornhuskers were originally scheduled to host South Dakota State on Sept. 19, but that game was scratched when the Big Ten announced in early July it was going to league games only. The Jackrabbits were slated to get a $515,000 guarantee.

NDSU's guarantee game at the University of Oregon for the Sept. 5 opener was also cancelled when the Pac-12 Conference went to league games only. This week, both the Big Ten and Pac-12 postponed football altogether to the spring.

Among those with Nebraska ties pushing for something this fall include head coach Scott Frost, athletic director Bill Moos and Nebraska Sen. Ben Sasse, who wrote an open letter on why football should be played this fall.
Even if Nebraska did play, I don't think they would guarantee NDSU anywhere near $500K to play in a reduced capacity or empty stadium.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:40 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:08 am NDSU is shooting for a game at Nebraska. Probably won't happen, as the B1G said Nebraska is out of the Conference if it plays this fall.

Link

Even if Nebraska did play, I don't think they would guarantee NDSU anywhere near $500K to play in a reduced capacity or empty stadium.
I don't think so either, they just want to play football.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Link

I wonder what date they are thinking?

Assuming it goes through, as Nebraska is not that far of a drive for me.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Big South is out.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:15 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:55 pm

I think the B10 loses out on $400M in TV monies alone if no games are played. Then there is attendance (which would be down as I assume they would not be allowed at full capacity) and concessions lost revenue as well. These schools are going to be facing a financial nightmare with this decision.
I'm waiting for the class action suits to start related to the TV deals. Cable operators carry B10 network and consumers paying through their cable bills to have those channels with nothing on them. You know some huckster laywer is already prepping the paperwork.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AshevilleApp wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:52 am Big South is out.
Southland also as far as conference games. Like the Big South, can pursue non conference.

So of the 13 conferences, who hasn't cancelled their conference schedules yet? So-Con and OVFC?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

HI54UNI wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:39 am
SDHornet wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:15 pm

I'm waiting for the class action suits to start related to the TV deals. Cable operators carry B10 network and consumers paying through their cable bills to have those channels with nothing on them. You know some huckster laywer is already prepping the paperwork.
Somebody has been listening to Clay Travis. :lol: :thumb:

My ESPN+ subscription expires at the end of the month. Since there won't be any live sports content, I don't plan to renew.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

SOCON is out.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AshevilleApp wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:00 am SOCON is out.
OVC out also. OVC didn't announce until yesterday (Fri) afternoon, so it looks like they were last holdout.
http://ovcsports.com/news/2020/8/13/gen ... ships.aspx

So that's it. All 13 conferences have officially at least cancelled conference games, although many have given an OOC option (Don't know if any will actually pull it off).
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:38 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:00 am SOCON is out.
OVC out also. OVC didn't announce until yesterday (Fri) afternoon, so it looks like they were last holdout.
http://ovcsports.com/news/2020/8/13/gen ... ships.aspx

So that's it. All 13 conferences have officially at least cancelled conference games, although many have given an OOC option (Don't know if any will actually pull it off).
Who on Earth would want to play a non-conference game now? :?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

May have seen Trey Lance for the last time. Lots of talk that he will leave for the draft if he's predicted to be a top 15 pick. Would love to see him play for the Bison again, but he has to do whats best for him and his family.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:14 am May have seen Trey Lance for the last time. Lots of talk that he will leave for the draft if he's predicted to be a top 15 pick. Would love to see him play for the Bison again, but he has to do whats best for him and his family.
Who in the history of the NFL draft has been a top 15 pick (or 1st round for that matter) after 1 season of non I-A college football?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:20 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:14 am May have seen Trey Lance for the last time. Lots of talk that he will leave for the draft if he's predicted to be a top 15 pick. Would love to see him play for the Bison again, but he has to do whats best for him and his family.
Who in the history of the NFL draft has been a top 15 pick (or 1st round for that matter) after 1 season of non I-A college football?
20 games, 16 started.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Mel Kiper

ESPN Link
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:24 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:20 pm
20 games, 16 started.
He's a roll of the dice, even if he goes first round. Granted, most college QB's are rolls of the dice for the NFL, but he has the size and physical attributes that match the NFL well. Still, he's pretty raw.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation