What will happen with the 2020 college football season?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: What will happen with the 2020 college football season?

Post by BDKJMU »

catbooster wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:24 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:22 pm
Damn, that is the highest I-AA payout I've ever seen. Is that the highest? I vaguely remember ASU getting $600k from LSU in 2008, the year after ASU beat Michigan, which would be $700+k inflation adjusted in today's dollars. JMU's (copied and pasted off the JMU board, with 600k at L'ville next year the highest):

TBD UNC $500,000
2025 Virginia Tech $TBD
2022 Louisville $600,000
2020 UNC $500,000
-------------------------
2019 West Virginia $550,000
2018 N.C. State $425,000
2017 East Carolina $300,000
2016 UNC $410,000
2015 SMU $425,000 + travel
2014 Maryland $325,000
2013 Akron $300,000
2012 West Virginia $350,000 + ticket incentives
2011 UNC $350,000
2010 VT $400,000-450,000
2009 Maryland $300,000?
2008 Duke $150,000?
2007 UNC $350,000
$675,000 MSU-Utah (cancelled)

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... ab8f6.html
If the game is called off due to “uncontrollable forces, the (schools) shall share equally in all reasonable financial costs or obligations arising as a direct result of the uncontrollable event.” Reasons for a cancelation include “unusual circumstances beyond (the schools’) reasonable control, including acts of God, acts of nature, or acts of any regulatory governing body.”
The P5's cancelling their OOC games but not their league is being done for 1 reason- $$$. No fans = no gate. If ALL games aren't cancelled, MSU should sue for breach of contract.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

FCS: CAA Is Out - What Is Next For Level?
The CAA becomes the fourth FCS league to back out of playing fall 2020 football due to CoVid. But some CAA schools still want to try to play. Who? And how?

.....Today, Thursday, came the biggest potential hit to the FCS Playoff structure, as the Colonial Athletic Association decided it will not compete as a collective this fall. But that doesn't mean every school in the league will follow this directive, and that could make this fall really interesting. At least for now, there's a chance some CAA teams may play.

The official word from the CAA is expected to come out early Friday afternoon from the league, but HERO Sports has been able to confirm the league cancellation news with three sources at three different schools. We do not know if that would move teams to spring play yet, or other details, only that a vast majority of teams won't attempt to play. We also don't have an immediate answer about what this does to player eligibility.

When asked, sources said that most CAA schools were out due to their proximity to large metropolitan areas. Obviously schools like Villanova (Philadelphia) and Stony Brook (New York City) would come under that description. In fact, just earlier this week, the city of Philadelphia came out with a statement that pro sports teams in its city wouldn't be allowed to have fans at any home games in 2020. While that statement wouldn't directly blanket Villanova, its proximity as a suburban school seemed to doom the Wildcats -- a Top 10 preseason pick within the HERO Sports poll in May -- to a wrecked season.

Through sources, we were able to find out that James Madison is still interested in playing its season (JMU is located in the Shenandoah Mountains of Virginia) as long as the FCS intends to have a postseason. Many of the top conferences in the FCS are holding voluntary workouts already and haven't announced any changes in their schedules, so there is a chance the Dukes could reconstitute their football schedule, and even potentially add some FBS games -- since the FBS has also changed its rule this year to allow two FCS games to count toward bowl eligibility.

Also, with the MEAC, Ivy League and Patriot League -- as well as the Big South's Hampton -- all announcing they won't play in the fall, there will be many holes in FCS schedules east of the Mississippi, allowing teams to quickly put together a schedule if they so choose. James Madison, via sources, is interested in doing that, and Elon may be another CAA school that may choose to put an alternative schedule together, based on its proximity to the SoCon, OVC and Big South and the fact Elon is not in a massive metropolitan area. Other CAA schools like Delaware and Towson are at least considering keeping things going this fall, according to sources -- but haven't made a decision to do things "independently".

Obviously there are some kinks to work out if this scheduling path is pursued, but there's still be time to try to iron it out if these schools choose to proceed with Fall 2020 football/sports.

The thought process here with some of the CAA schools playing wait-and-see is that the Missouri Valley, Big Sky, Southland, SoCon, OVC and Big South haven't put their cards on the table to announce their intentions -- and they all seem to be proceeding as if they'll play. If some of the CAA schools play, they could pick up at-large FCS playoff berths and still make a postseason run. But, according to sources, there is also serious talk right now that everything FCS-wise could move to the spring. ...
https://herosports.com/fcs/football-202 ... yoffs-ajaj
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Per McLaughlin, Elon, Towson and Delaware are considering also trying to have seasons.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:21 pm
catbooster wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:24 pm

$675,000 MSU-Utah (cancelled)

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... ab8f6.html
If the game is called off due to “uncontrollable forces, the (schools) shall share equally in all reasonable financial costs or obligations arising as a direct result of the uncontrollable event.” Reasons for a cancelation include “unusual circumstances beyond (the schools’) reasonable control, including acts of God, acts of nature, or acts of any regulatory governing body.”
The P5's cancelling their OOC games but not their league is being done for 1 reason- $$$. No fans = no gate. If ALL games aren't cancelled, MSU should sue for breach of contract.
Sounds like Portland State may try to go that route.

https://www.oregonlive.com/vikings/2020 ... state.html
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

This is high comedy (not real):
Faber :rofl: :rofl:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Notice it’s the EC(b) conferences jumping ship first?

Soft... :ohno:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:53 am Notice it’s the northeastern EC(b) conferences jumping ship first?

FIFY. Its the northeastern I-AA conferences that have jumped ship, except the NEC. 3 of 4 conferences located in, or centered in the northeast, have pulled the plug. (7 of 12 CAA football school are above the Mason-Dixon line). Only one conference centered outside the northeast has pulled the plug, the MEAC, but they have major financial issues..

Pussies (4): Ivy, Patriot, CAA (down to all but JMU & Elon), MEAC
Not pussies (so far) (9): MVFC, Big Sky, So-Con, Big South, Southland, OVC, NEC, SWAC, Pioneer.

I expect the next to join the Pussies list will be the NEC, SWAC, and Pioneer.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:27 pm
kalm wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:53 am Notice it’s the northeastern EC(b) conferences jumping ship first?

FIFY. Its the northeastern I-AA conferences that have jumped ship, except the NEC. 3 of 4 conferences located in, or centered in the northeast, have pulled the plug. (7 of 12 CAA football school are above the Mason-Dixon line). Only one conference centered outside the northeast has pulled the plug, the MEAC, but they have major financial issues..

Not pussies (so far) (9): MVFC, Big Sky, So-Con, Big South, Southland, OVC, NEC, SWAC, Pioneer.

You have the best sense of humor ever!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SWAC pulls the plug.

So basically the blacks (MEAC & SWAC), the nerds (Ivy & Patriot) and the CAA minus JMU and Elon have pulled the plug.

8 of 10 AQ conferences still playing as of now.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:55 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:21 pm

As will many schools across the country. According to the below, force-majeure shouldn't apply to OOC games, if the team breaking the contract plays their conference games, unless conference prohibitions are included in the contract.
https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2 ... -football/
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:22 pm
JALMOND wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:55 pm

As will many schools across the country. According to the below, force-majeure shouldn't apply to OOC games, if the team breaking the contract plays their conference games, unless conference prohibitions are included in the contract.
If UNI sues Iowa over canceling the game without compensation, Iowa and likely every other P5 school will stop taking UNI's calls much less scheduling anything in the future. You try to reschedule not sue.
Last edited by UNI88 on Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:09 am
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:22 pm
If UNI sues Iowa over canceling the game with compensation, Iowa and likely every other P5 school will stop taking UNI's calls much less scheduling anything in the future. You try to reschedule not sue.
Yep. No need to be selfish. New Mexico Governor has asked that fall contact sports be postponed.

Sorry boys...but there ain’t no football happening.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

kalm wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:27 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:09 am

If UNI sues Iowa over canceling the game with compensation, Iowa and likely every other P5 school will stop taking UNI's calls much less scheduling anything in the future. You try to reschedule not sue.
Yep. No need to be selfish. New Mexico Governor has asked that fall contact sports be postponed.

Sorry boys...but there ain’t no football happening.
Too bad. We'll have new turf, a new fieldhouse, and FINALLY no red track around the field this fall.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:27 pm

-7/20 SWAC pulled the plug.
-Today NEC pulled the plug, cancelling all fall sports.

So 6 conferences have pulled the plug: the 4 northeastern, and the 2 HBCU.
7 of 10 AQ conferences still a go.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Big South:
-Monmouth: pulled the plug.
-Hampton: pulled the plug.
-KSU
-CSU
-Campbell
-G Webb
-N Alabama

*Robert Morris: last season NEC, this season INDY, 2021 joins Big South. This season RMU's schedule was still filled with NEC teams, so they are down to just 3 games: VMI, @ Bowling Green, @ Hawaii.

What could happen, as is speculated in the JMU board, JMU and Elon could pick up Monmouth's and Hampton's Big South schedules, ecoming de facto Big South teams for this season (of course like N Alabama, would be ineligible for the AQ)..

ACC doing 10 conference + 1 OOC (has to be home or in state). That means for UNC it comes down to hosting either JMU or UCONN, and there's rumor UCONN as an indy might be the 1st I-A team to pull the plug.

I could see JMU's schedule come down to 5 Big South, RMU, Elon (maybe 2x), UNC, maybe 1-2 others (looking for up to 3 I-A games) and then likely the plug getting pulled sometime Aug or Sept..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Towson's 6th yr Sr, 2018 All American, All Purpose back Shane Simpson transfers to UVA:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... r-BB17wK9f

Villanova's OC Paul Grattan, and WR Changa Hodge, enter the transfer portal. HERO has Gratton as the top I-AA pro propect at OC, 8th nationally, and Athlons has both players among the top 20 I-AA pro prospects.
https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2020/08/villanova/
https://herosports.com/news/football-20 ... ects-bzbz/
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

These schools still trying to play football this fall is one of the stupidest things I have seen in a while.

The minute a kid tests positive, its game-off for that team for at least 2 weeks. Schools that try to play might get in 3-4 games.

Dumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:19 am These schools still trying to play football this fall is one of the stupidest things I have seen in a while.

The minute a kid tests positive, its game-off for that team for at least 2 weeks. Schools that try to play might get in 3-4 games.

Dumb

Meanwhile the Sun Belt announced this afternoon that the season will start Labor Day weekend. Should be an interesting ride. Might be short though.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:19 am These schools still trying to play football this fall is one of the stupidest things I have seen in a while.

Dumb

These schools still trying to play football this fall is SMART.

So short of close to a full season & playoffs, playing 4 games would be ideal. The NCAA allows you to play up to 4 games without burning a year of eligibility. So if a school could get in a summer of practice and 3-4 games:
-2-3 months of practice + 3-4 games that schools that pulled the plug in July don't get.
-no player burns a redshirt or a year of eligibility.
-you don't lose top players to the transfer portal (ex Towson and Villanova).
-schools that try to play will get a leg up on recruiting over those that don't.

And if a Spring season is decided, the call on that would likely be before the 1st games in Sept. So if you pulled the fall plug in Sept for the Spring, at least you got an extra month or 2 of practice in that other teams didn't get.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Dumb

:nod:

Not to mention, the testing expenses alone along with loss of money games is unaffordable.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:00 pm

Dumb

Not to mention, the testing expenses alone along with loss of money games is unaffordable.
Nope. See my above reply.

Not to mention if you pull the plug early, you lose your leverage in getting paid for those $$ games (either buyout because of broken contract by I-A school, or rescheduled for a future season). Ex JMU will get at least 500k from UNC IF JMU doesn't pull the plug early.
-UNC will either host UCONN or JMU as their OOC. If JMU, JMU gets 500k.
-or the game will be rescheduled for a future season (probably for more than 500K).
-or UNC will have to pay for breaking the contract (I don't believe force majeure would apply since UNC isn't cancelling their season, and I believe the buyout is much higher than $500k).

If JMU pulled the plug with the rest of the CAA in July, JMU gets zero $$$ from UNC. The UNC game would probably pay for the travel cost (3.5 hrs/4+ by bus), probably 1 night hotel if this season as opposed to the usual 2-3 nights), a season of testing, and all the sanitizing & disinfecting steps in the weight, locker, training, meeting rooms, etc.

Also not to mention many of the I-A schools face financial armageddon if they don't get a season in.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:25 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:00 pm

Not to mention if you pull the plug early, you lose your leverage in getting paid for those $$ games (either buyout because of broken contract by I-A school, or rescheduled for a future season). Ex JMU will get at least 500k from UNC IF JMU doesn't pull the plug early.
-UNC will either host UCONN or JMU as their OOC.
-or the game will be rescheduled for a future season (probably for a higher $$ payout).
-or UNC will have to pay for breaking the contract (I don't believe force majeure would apply since UNC isn't cancelling their season).

If JMU pulled the plug with the rest of the CAA in July, JMU gets zero $$$ from UNC. The UNC game would probably pay for the travel cost (3.5 hrs/4+ by bus), probably 1 night hotel if this season as opposed to the usual 2-3 nights), a season of testing, and all the sanitizing & disinfecting steps in the weight, locker, training, meeting rooms, etc.

Also not to mention many of the I-A schools face financial armageddon if they don't get a season in.
Florida already pulled the plug on EWU. The testing still wouldn’t be affordable.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:26 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:25 pm

-UNC will either host UCONN or JMU as their OOC.
-or the game will be rescheduled for a future season (probably for a higher $$ payout).
-or UNC will have to pay for breaking the contract (I don't believe force majeure would apply since UNC isn't cancelling their season).

Florida already pulled the plug on EWU. The testing still wouldn’t be affordable.
What's the buyout clause that UF will have to pay, or is the game being rescheduled for a future season?

If EWU, on the other hand hand, pulled the plug, they get no $$/no future game, no?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:28 pm
kalm wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:26 pm

What's the buyout clause that UF will have to pay, or is the game being rescheduled for a future season?

If EWU, on the other hand hand, pulled the plug, they get no $$/no future game, no?
I forget what the clause was but it sounds like we’re not getting any money. Might have to do with the SEC forcing it?