Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: RBG has Cancer...Again

Post by BDKJMU »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:10 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:06 pm
I beg to differ.
Beg all you like. She just needs another 6 months or so.
4 1/2 years.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:16 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:10 pm

Beg all you like. She just needs another 6 months or so.
4 1/2 years.
I"m optimistic about that not happening. Not highly confident, but optimistic. You may recall that, on election eve 2016, I posted based on what I was seeing in polling information that Clinton winning was not a done deal at all. If the election were being held under ordinary circumstances I would now say that if the election were held tomorrow Biden winning would be a done deal. I include the "ordinary circumstances" caveat because of the COVID-19 thing. It introduces additional uncertainty about turnout.

The other thing, of course, is that the election more than 3 months away and public sentiment may change.

I think Trump is doing things to hurt his chances. He appears to be focused on revving up his base. But I think he is doing things that will also drive greater turnout among groups that historically have voted Democrat. Like the thing with the Federal Enforcement staff in Portland.

Finally, while I can never know if it's true, I think that one factor in Trump winning last time was that a lot of people thought there was no way he could win. I didn't think that. But I think a lot of people did. It's not going to be like that this next time.

We'll see. But right now I'm optimistic. If the polls look like they do now on election eve I'll be REALLY optimistic. I'd probably be willing to bet Trump loses if that's the case.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:46 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:16 pm
4 1/2 years.
I"m optimistic about that not happening. Not highly confident, but optimistic. You may recall that, on election eve 2016, I posted based on what I was seeing in polling information that Clinton winning was not a done deal at all. If the election were being held under ordinary circumstances I would now say that if the election were held tomorrow Biden winning would be a done deal. I include the "ordinary circumstances" caveat because of the COVID-19 thing. It introduces additional uncertainty about turnout.

The other thing, of course, is that the election more than 3 months away and public sentiment may change.

I think Trump is doing things to hurt his chances. He appears to be focused on revving up his base. But I think he is doing things that will also drive greater turnout among groups that historically have voted Democrat. Like the thing with the Federal Enforcement staff in Portland.

Finally, while I can never know if it's true, I think that one factor in Trump winning last time was that a lot of people thought there was no way he could win. I didn't think that. But I think a lot of people did. It's not going to be like that this next time.

We'll see. But right now I'm optimistic. If the polls look like they do now on election eve I'll be REALLY optimistic. I'd probably be willing to bet Trump loses if that's the case.
Well, John, if I were you I’d be willing to bet five bucks right now that Biden will win. Unless he pops an aneurysm or goes totally Weekend at Bernie’s on us.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:23 am
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:46 am

Well, John, if I were you I’d be willing to bet five bucks right now that Biden will win. Unless he pops an aneurysm or goes totally Weekend at Bernie’s on us.
I will go with what the polls say on election eve. There were times during the 2016 election season that I would've said "if the election were to be held tomorrow, HIllary would win." But it was not like that on election eve. Same here. I am optimistic that when election eve gets here it'll look good for Biden. But no one knows what will happen between now and then.

Also, I think the COVID-19 situation does complicate the situation. I was just watching George Will and another guy on TV. Will thinks it's already very likely that Biden will win. The other guy wasn't as confident and one thing he said is that Republicans are more skeptical about COVID-19 and therefore will less hesitant about voting. I don't know if it'll work out that way but it's a possible factor and we won't be able to see how it works out until i actually happens.

Plus the Russians are still trying to help Trump. Don't know what will happen with that.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW, I am HOPING that it'll work out per the cliche "They will crawl over broken glass to vote" with respect to the groups that tend to vote Democrat. I am hoping it turns out like Wisconsin where Republicans refused to extend the absentee ballot deadline for COVID-19 in hopes of cutting turnout and getting a conservative judge re-elected to the State Supreme Court. Didn't work out for them as groups that vote Democrat bit the bullet and turned out.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/04 ... entee.html
The result shocked members of both parties, in no small part because the state GOP did all it could to guarantee the opposite outcome. The novel coronavirus pandemic has forced most Wisconsites into seclusion, but earlier this month, the Republican-held legislature rejected Governor Evers’s efforts to postpone the election, forcing people to vote in person and risk infection.
Could I ever be a star?

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I also hope the cliche holds true.

I'll make sure my corpse commits voter fraud to get to the ballot box.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:58 pm I also hope the cliche holds true.

I'll make sure my corpse commits voter fraud to get to the ballot box.
I hope that doesn't mean you plan to die before election day.

I live in a State where my vote doesn't matter and the Republican Controlled legislature made sure I can't vote by mail. I may not vote because I live in a household where there is one person with diabetes and another person that is 91 years old. But if I lived in a "swing" state I would vote. No doubt. Getting Trump out is extremely important to the future of this country.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Who the fuck broke the seal on JSO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

CID1990 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:06 pm Who the fuck broke the seal on JSO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:lol:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:55 pm
93henfan wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:14 am RBG will live to 110. That bitch is invincible. She flicks cancer off her shoulder like a gnat.
Yup, including two bouts with pancreatic cancer (one of the really bad ones) and one with colon cancer. It’s liver cancer this time, which is no walk in the park.

I bet RBG outlives Jimmeh Carter.
I am pretty sure RBG has dirt on the Grimm Reaper and it gets released if he ever tries to collect.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Actually, I’d much rather sic the Grim Reaper on Judge Judy. What a nasty old bitch she is. :ohno:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Ginsburg dead.

Will be interesting to see how Rs respond. I think it would probably be smart for them to make the presidential election about the SCOTUS seat and not rush a nominee through. If they don't think they have any chance, might as well push one through.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:06 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:34 pm She’ll be on the bench after Trump leaves office.
I beg to differ.
Ivytalk wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:10 pm Beg all you like. She just needs another 6 months or so.
Told you so. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Of course the Republicans won’t do anything with her seat during an election year. They’re not about to be hypocrites.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:11 pm Ginsburg dead.

Will be interesting to see how Rs respond. I think it would probably be smart for them to make the presidential election about the SCOTUS seat and not rush a nominee through. If they don't think they have any chance, might as well push one through.
They won’t. They’ll ignore their own hypocrisy. This is politics.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CitadelGrad
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Jack Kerouac
A.K.A.: El Cid

Post by CitadelGrad »

Bullshit. Selecting a nominee now will cause the Left to become even more violent and burn more cities. In case you haven't noticed, that shit isn't good for Democrats.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

- Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

There are pro's and con's to both approaches. If you wait the D's have something to rally around, if you push one through they have another reason to dislike Trump (which may not be that big of a deal consider their emotional response to him so far). On the flip side, pushing one through will give energy to the R's and Trump can hold up an accomplishment to his base. I don't see much of a plus for waiting from the R's side.

The Senate has been confirming Judges these past couple of weeks (13 so far) and they could just roll right into a SCOTUS hearing. All depends on if McConnell has the votes already lined up.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:26 pm Of course the Republicans won’t do anything with her seat during an election year. They’re not about to be hypocrites.
Nothing to be hypocritical about. 2016 was Donk POTUS, Conk Senate in an election year.
Now Conk POTUS, Conk Senate in an election year. Yuge difference.
And thank you Harry Reid.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

If the GOP pushes a nominee through, then stacking the court is the only alternative.
:thumb:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

dbackjon wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:31 pm If the GOP pushes a nominee through, then stacking the court is the only alternative.
:popcorn:

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:31 pm If the GOP pushes a nominee through, then stacking the court is the only alternative.
No its not. :roll: Its calling winning the POTUS and Senate, and then confirming your own nominees. You know, the way its worked for 230+ years..
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:56 pm I think the jig is up for her this time. I don't think it will be long.
JSO is right for once..
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Sorry, have to agree with dbackjon (kinda)...if Mitch McConnell is going to change the rules about SCOTUS appointments in election, well you can't really complain if donks fight dirty with the Supreme Court.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Trump released list of 20 potential nominees in 2016. Added 5 names 2017, 20 more recently. Below are the possible nominees:
Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
Gregory G. Katsas‡ (born 1964)[38] (appointed by Trump)
Brett Kavanaugh† (born 1965)[36][39][35][40] (nominated and confirmed)
Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
Thomas Hardiman* (born 1965)[14][39][41]
Peter J. Phipps‡ (born 1973)[38] (appointed by Trump)
Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
Allison Jones Rushing‡ (born 1982)[38] (appointed by Trump)
Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
Kyle Duncan‡ (born 1972)[38] (appointed by Trump)
James C. Ho‡ (born 1973)[38] (appointed by Trump)
Don Willett* (born 1966)[14] (appointed by Trump)[note 1]
Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
Raymond Kethledge* (born 1966)[14][39][41]
Joan Larsen* (born 1968)[14] (appointed by Trump)[note 2]
Amul Thapar** (born 1969)[15][39] (elevated by Trump)[note 3]
Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
Amy Coney Barrett† (born 1972)[35] (appointed by Trump)[note 4]
Diane Sykes* (born 1957)[14]
Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit
Steven Colloton* (born 1963)[14]
Raymond Gruender* (born 1963)[14]
David Stras* (born 1974)[14] (appointed by Trump)[note 5]
Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
Bridget Shelton Bade‡ (born 1965)[38] (appointed by Trump)
Lawrence VanDyke‡ (born 1972)[38] (appointed by Trump)
Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit
Allison Eid* (born 1965)[14] (appointed by Trump)[note 6]
Neil Gorsuch** (born 1967)[15][16] (nominated and confirmed)
Timothy Tymkovich** (born 1956)[15]
Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
Britt Grant† (born 1978)[35] (appointed by Trump)[note 7]
Barbara Lagoa‡ (born 1967)[38] (appointed by Trump)
Kevin Newsom† (born 1972)[35] (appointed by Trump)[note 8]
Bill Pryor* (born 1962)[14]
Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
Meg Ryan** (born 1964)[15]
United States District Courts
Federico A. Moreno** (born 1952) – Senior Judge, United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida[15]
Martha M. Pacold‡ (born 1979)[38] – District Judge, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (appointed by Trump)
Sarah Pitlyk‡ (born 1977)[38] – District Judge, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri (appointed by Trump)
Patrick Wyrick† (born 1981)[35] – District Judge, United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma (appointed by Trump);[note 9]
State Supreme Courts
Keith R. Blackwell** (born 1975) – Associate Justice, Supreme Court of Georgia[15]
Charles T. Canady** (born 1954) – Chief Justice, Supreme Court of Florida[15]
Thomas Rex Lee* (born 1964) – Associate Justice, Utah Supreme Court[14]
Edward Mansfield** (born 1957) – Associate Justice, Iowa Supreme Court[15]
Carlos G. Muñiz‡ (born 1969)[38] – Associate Justice, Supreme Court of Florida
Robert P. Young Jr.** (born 1951) – Former Chief Justice, Michigan Supreme Court[15]
Executive Branch
Paul Clement‡ (born 1966)[38] – former Solicitor General of the United States
Steven Engel‡ (born 1974)[38] – United States Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legal Counsel
Noel Francisco‡ (born 1969)[38] – former Solicitor General of the United States
Christopher Landau‡ (born 1963)[38] – United States Ambassador to Mexico
Kate Comerford Todd‡[38] – Deputy Assistant to the President and Deputy Counsel to the President
United States Senators
Tom Cotton‡ (born 1977) – Senator from Arkansas[38]
Ted Cruz‡ (born 1970) – Senator from Texas[38]
Josh Hawley‡ (born 1979) – Senator from Missouri[38]
Mike Lee** (born 1971) – Senator from Utah[15][39]
State Executive Branches
Daniel Cameron‡ (born 1985)[38] – Attorney General of Kentucky
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Tr ... e_nominees
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

I think Mitch McConnell will actually agree with Jelly, but Trump being Trump he's going to ram through a nominee and will just hurt the Republicans in November.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.