Political discussions
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Taibbi May have just knocked woke culture out of the park

Post by kalm »

Very curious to hear you mofo’s reaction to this one...

It might not be what you think.
A core principle of the academic movement that shot through elite schools in America since the early nineties was the view that individual rights, humanism, and the democratic process are all just stalking-horses for white supremacy. The concept, as articulated in books like former corporate consultant Robin DiAngelo’s White Fragility (Amazon’s #1 seller!) reduces everything, even the smallest and most innocent human interactions, to racial power contests.

It’s been mind-boggling to watch White Fragility celebrated in recent weeks. When it surged past a Hunger Games book on bestseller lists, USA Today cheered, “American readers are more interested in combatting racism than in literary escapism.” When DiAngelo appeared on The Tonight Show, Jimmy Fallon gushed, “I know… everyone wants to talk to you right now!” White Fragility has been pitched as an uncontroversial road-map for fighting racism, at a time when after the murder of George Floyd Americans are suddenly (and appropriately) interested in doing just that. Except this isn’t a straightforward book about examining one’s own prejudices. Have the people hyping this impressively crazy book actually read it?

DiAngelo isn’t the first person to make a buck pushing tricked-up pseudo-intellectual horseshit as corporate wisdom, but she might be the first to do it selling Hitlerian race theory. White Fragility has a simple message: there is no such thing as a universal human experience, and we are defined not by our individual personalities or moral choices, but only by our racial category
https://taibbi.substack.com/p/on-white-fragility
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Re: Taibbi May have just knocked woke culture out of the park

Post by Baldy »

kalm wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:45 pm Very curious to hear you mofo’s reaction to this one...

A core principle of the academic movement that shot through elite schools in America since the early nineties was the view that individual rights, humanism, and the democratic process are all just stalking-horses for white supremacy. The concept, as articulated in books like former corporate consultant Robin DiAngelo’s White Fragility (Amazon’s #1 seller!) reduces everything, even the smallest and most innocent human interactions, to racial power contests.

It’s been mind-boggling to watch White Fragility celebrated in recent weeks. When it surged past a Hunger Games book on bestseller lists, USA Today cheered, “American readers are more interested in combatting racism than in literary escapism.” When DiAngelo appeared on The Tonight Show, Jimmy Fallon gushed, “I know… everyone wants to talk to you right now!” White Fragility has been pitched as an uncontroversial road-map for fighting racism, at a time when after the murder of George Floyd Americans are suddenly (and appropriately) interested in doing just that. Except this isn’t a straightforward book about examining one’s own prejudices. Have the people hyping this impressively crazy book actually read it?

DiAngelo isn’t the first person to make a buck pushing tricked-up pseudo-intellectual horseshit as corporate wisdom, but she might be the first to do it selling Hitlerian race theory. White Fragility has a simple message: there is no such thing as a universal human experience, and we are defined not by our individual personalities or moral choices, but only by our racial category
Heartbreaking: The Worst Person You Know Just Made A Great Point
:ohno:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:45 pm Very curious to hear you mofo’s reaction to this one...

I think the article is spot on. I've long argued that the idea of "privilege" and "checking it at the door", while a good concept in theory, in practice ends up being a way to silence a group of people and closing them out of the discussion or a debate. You even hear it today, when you hear that white people "should shut up and listen at this point in history". Why should anyone ever shut up in this country and why would we want an entire race of people to be exposed to that demand? Isn't that how we got into this problem in the first place? To me, Trump's never been the problem - he's a buffoon and a terrible leader and probably pretty much an arse. But there's an expiration date on him. I worry about the reaction to Trump. This piece paints the same kind of picture.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:18 pm

:lol:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

When one employee responds negatively to the training, DiAngelo quips the person must have been put off by one of her Black female team members: “The white people,” she says, “were scared by Deborah’s hair.” (White priests of antiracism like DiAngelo seem universally to be more awkward and clueless around minorities than your average Trump-supporting construction worker).
This quote is key. I've seen this part of the book exerpted elsewhere. It comes off like pure projection. DiAngelo apparently wasn't capable of equal treatment to people of all colors, so she thinks no one so we all have to introspect and be conscientious of ourselves every day just because she once made a dumb comment about a black woman's hair and another black woman's survey. She's a crackpot.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

“Tricked-up pseudo-intellectual horseshit” :rofl:

White Fragility “makes The Art of the Deal look like Anna Karenina

Gotta love Matt Taibbi at his best. He calls out the BS on his own side. The George Will of the left.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Baldy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:18 pm

Spot on, Brother Baldy. Which CS poster could it be? :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

The sooner the war gets started, the better. Let's do this!
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-