Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Re: Happy Juneteenth

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:43 am
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:38 am
Ditto. We already have 10 national holidays, which is a nice even #. We already have a holiday for blacks (MLK Day (the only holiday named after an individual American citizen BTW)).
See my other response - no reason for a Columbus Day holiday. Scrap that, add Juneteenth, and we still have 10. And like I said, Juneteenth is more than just an African-American holiday - we won the Civil War and we threw off the shackles of slavery at the expense of a lot of lives, black and white. Celebrate that we did that.
So we scrap the one Italian American holiday for a 2nd AA one. :suspicious: Forgettaboutit!
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:45 am I'd add Voting Day to the list of national holidays. That's the most important one.

Take out Presidents Day and Columbus Day. Got your 10.
1st take down their statues, and then take their 1 holiday to add a 2nd AA one. Why do you hate Italians?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:56 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:45 am I'd add Voting Day to the list of national holidays. That's the most important one.

Take out Presidents Day and Columbus Day. Got your 10.
Nah, Presidents Day make for a good weekend in February - still needed.

Just move Voting Day to a weekend. No reason why it needs to be on a random Tuesday. Move it to Saturday and we're good. Let's be honest, it probably wasn't on a Saturday because folks didn't want anything spilling over to Sunday as it was the sabbath. It's almost like a remnant of the blue laws. Make it the first Saturday in November and away we go.
Better yet move it to the Sat before taxes are due. You’d see a lot less tax increases & more tax cuts due to pissed off voters.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:24 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:43 am

See my other response - no reason for a Columbus Day holiday. Scrap that, add Juneteenth, and we still have 10. And like I said, Juneteenth is more than just an African-American holiday - we won the Civil War and we threw off the shackles of slavery at the expense of a lot of lives, black and white. Celebrate that we did that.
So we scrap the one Italian American holiday for a 2nd AA one. :suspicious: Forgettaboutit!
Again, Juneteenth is all of ours holiday - victory in the Civil War and eradication of slavery in our country. Why is that not a good thing?

As for the Italians, just do like the Irish do and pick a patron saint and celebrate on that day - St Francis of Assissi is October 4th and St Catherine of Siena is April 29th - pick one and go with it, just doesn't need to be a federal holiday. If we had one for every ethnic group in America 93 would never have to work again, he'd be off every other day.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:22 am Mail-in voting can be pretty complicated, especially for young people who have never registered to vote, voted, or used the mail system (which is a ton of people). We can have both options:

Voting week (no holiday) and mail-in;

or Saturday voting day (paid holiday) and mail-in.
No its not.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:31 am
93henfan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:23 am What other bullshit holidays can we make up? I'm all in favor of doubling the Federal holiday count from 10 to 20.

We can make up at least five more bullshit holidays for negros alone. They have a beef about EVERYTHING. Kwanzaa, Rosa Park's birthday, Reginald Denny's bricking, Tupac's birthday, Kobe Bryant. What else can they celebrate? There has to be a ton.
Eh, like I said, this shouldn't be just an African-American holiday. We ended slavery after a tremendously costly war. That was a pretty big deal. We should pat ourselves on the back for that. Well done us - all of us (well, maybe not the losers, but they lost so tough luck).
Give them Juneteenth, and the next thing you know is they’ll want Kwanza as a national holiday..
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:33 am
As for the Italians, just do like the Irish do and pick a patron saint and celebrate on that day - St Francis of Assissi is October 4th and St Catherine of Siena is April 29th - pick one and go with it, just doesn't need to be a federal holiday.
Feast of San Gennaro in New York.

Casimir Pulaski Day is also a decent deal in Chicago for the Poles. I'm sure there are loads of others.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:44 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:33 am
As for the Italians, just do like the Irish do and pick a patron saint and celebrate on that day - St Francis of Assissi is October 4th and St Catherine of Siena is April 29th - pick one and go with it, just doesn't need to be a federal holiday.
Feast of San Gennaro in New York.

Casimir Pulaski Day is also a decent deal in Chicago for the Poles. I'm sure there are loads of others.
Yup, it's easy to pick a day for separate ethnicities, and few if any are national holidays. Getting rid of Columbus Day is easy.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:41 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:08 am

No national holiday, FFS. Acknowledge the day like VE, VJ, D-Day, Pearl Harbor, St. Patrick's, Cinco De Mayo, etc. There is no need for another national holiday.
Let's ditch Columbus Day as a federal holiday. That's already controversial enough. I'm sure there can be another day for Italian-American heritage and I don't really like changing that day to Indiginous People day, at least not as a federal holiday. Holidays in the summer are better anyway, don't need one in October.
Controversial to a bunch of snowflakes. Its not controversial if you don’t judge 15th/16th Century mores through a 21st century lens. Similar to when people judge 18 century mores of the FF through a 21st century lens.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

I'm in favor of Juneteenth being a Federal holiday. The more paid days off the better. :coffee:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

I’m honestly surprised more southerners aren’t aware of this holiday. It’s been celebrated in Charleston for as long as I can recall. It’s nothing new.

But in light of recent events it’s becoming known and the pandering has followed it. I’ve received countless emails from corporate about it and it’s been discussed in team meetings as if it’s something brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:48 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:41 am

Let's ditch Columbus Day as a federal holiday. That's already controversial enough. I'm sure there can be another day for Italian-American heritage and I don't really like changing that day to Indiginous People day, at least not as a federal holiday. Holidays in the summer are better anyway, don't need one in October.
Controversial to a bunch of snowflakes. Its not controversial if you don’t judge 15th/16th Century mores through a 21st century lens. Similar to when people judge 18 century mores of the FF through a 21st century lens.
Nonsense, before people even started to talk about Columbus's propensity to enslave and persecute native peoples he found, there was always talk as to whether Columbus really did anything that was so noteworthy to begin with. He was hardly the first or even the last who was trying to find a western path to the East Indies, he just happened to be the one who's journey got the ball rolling. And as we know, he didn't even know what he found. Of course his journey was historically significant, but a good argument can be made that if Columbus never existed, we'd probably still have "found" the New World around roughly the same time we did. Ferdinand and Isabella were going to fund people anyway, as were the Portuguese, as were the Dutch, as were the etc, etc. I'd not have statues and holidays for Columbus simply because I don't think he himself is noteworthy enough for what he did, and that's completely regardless of the morality of his actions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:01 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:48 pm
Nonsense, before people even started to talk about Columbus's propensity to enslave and persecute native peoples he found, there was always talk as to whether Columbus really did anything that was so noteworthy to begin with. He was hardly the first or even the last who was trying to find a western path to the East Indies, he just happened to be the one who's journey got the ball rolling. And as we know, he didn't even know what he found. Of course his journey was historically significant, but a good argument can be made that if Columbus never existed, we'd probably still have "found" the New World around roughly the same time we did. Ferdinand and Isabella were going to fund people anyway, as were the Portuguese, as were the Dutch, as were the etc, etc. I'd not have statues and holidays for Columbus simply because I don't think he himself is noteworthy enough for what he did, and that's completely regardless of the morality of his actions.
Agree. I've never understood the fascination with Columbus. There were lots of other explorers. Maybe he was just the lucky one historians/teachers picked to highlight in the classroom.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

93henfan wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:11 am Are Saturdays and issue for the Jewish population?
Who cares? Fuck 'em. They're mostly lib anyway.
No shit!

Anybody who decides to have their sabbath on the same day as football is stupid

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

So

What do we do on this Juneteenth holiday?

Ignore its significance and have a NASCAR race?

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

GannonFan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:48 pm Controversial to a bunch of snowflakes. Its not controversial if you don’t judge 15th/16th Century mores through a 21st century lens. Similar to when people judge 18 century mores of the FF through a 21st century lens.
I know a certain group of Knights who aren’t going to be pleased if we do away with Columbus Day.

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

SDHornet wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:02 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:01 pm

Agree. I've never understood the fascination with Columbus. There were lots of other explorers. Maybe he was just the lucky one historians/teachers picked to highlight in the classroom.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:10 pm So

What do we do on this Juneteenth holiday?

Ignore its significance and have a NASCAR race?

The Kentucky Fried Chicken 400.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.