Political discussions
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Happy Juneteenth

Post by GannonFan »

I can get behind this holiday and the movement to make it more acknowledged. I consider myself a bit of a history buff and I have to be honest, I didn't really know much about this holiday until a year or two ago when "Blackish" had an episode devoted entirely to it. But even after watching that episode (and that had to be a year or two ago) it didn't resonate with me until now and the movement we're currently in. But it's a perfect holiday to have in that it's further repudiation of the historical revision that has been the Lost Cause movement for the past 150 years or so.

We don't have any holiday to celebrate the end of the Civil War. We have two days (VE and VJ Days) to commemorate the end of WWII, yet more Americans in total (~650,000 or so versus like 420,000 in WWII) and certainly more in terms relative to the actual population (4% of American males versus just 0.3% in WWII) died in the Civil War than in WWII. We should have a day that celebrates winning the Civil War and eradicating slavery, and it should be something that is more than just an African-America holiday. A lot of Americans died to correct the wrong that was slavery, and I'd argue that the Lost Cause movement may be the most successful, until recently, revisionist history movement in the world that didn't involve the Chinese (no one does revisionist history better than they do). A lot of lives were lost to fix the stain that was slavery in this country and we should acknowledge it and celebrate that slavery ended. I know you could argue what day it should fall on (Jan 1st for the Emancipation Proclamation, Feb 3rd for the date the 15th amendment was ratified are two other important dates) but I don't think we need to get wrapped up with the perfect date and since this one has been celebrated, on a much less scale and in much smaller circles, for as long as it has it works for me.

So with that said, Happy Juneteenth. Certainly an American holiday. :thumb:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: Happy Juneteenth

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I didn't know about it until this year. I'm on board for its existence as a national holiday.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 am I didn't know about it until this year. I'm on board for its existence as a national holiday.
No national holiday, FFS. Acknowledge the day like VE, VJ, D-Day, Pearl Harbor, St. Patrick's, Cinco De Mayo, etc. There is no need for another national holiday.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:08 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 am I didn't know about it until this year. I'm on board for its existence as a national holiday.
No national holiday, FFS. Acknowledge the day like VE, VJ, D-Day, Pearl Harbor, St. Patrick's, Cinco De Mayo, etc. There is no need for another national holiday.
Ditto. We already have 10 national holidays, which is a nice even #. We already have a holiday for blacks (MLK Day (the only holiday named after an individual American citizen BTW)).
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Let's ditch Columbus Day as a federal holiday. That's already controversial enough. I'm sure there can be another day for Italian-American heritage and I don't really like changing that day to Indiginous People day, at least not as a federal holiday. Holidays in the summer are better anyway, don't need one in October.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:38 am

Ditto. We already have 10 national holidays, which is a nice even #. We already have a holiday for blacks (MLK Day (the only holiday named after an individual American citizen BTW)).
See my other response - no reason for a Columbus Day holiday. Scrap that, add Juneteenth, and we still have 10. And like I said, Juneteenth is more than just an African-American holiday - we won the Civil War and we threw off the shackles of slavery at the expense of a lot of lives, black and white. Celebrate that we did that.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I'd add Voting Day to the list of national holidays. That's the most important one.

Take out Presidents Day and Columbus Day. Got your 10.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

I'm offended

This needs to be canceled out

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:45 am I'd add Voting Day to the list of national holidays. That's the most important one.

Nah, Presidents Day make for a good weekend in February - still needed.

Just move Voting Day to a weekend. No reason why it needs to be on a random Tuesday. Move it to Saturday and we're good. Let's be honest, it probably wasn't on a Saturday because folks didn't want anything spilling over to Sunday as it was the sabbath. It's almost like a remnant of the blue laws. Make it the first Saturday in November and away we go.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:56 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:45 am I'd add Voting Day to the list of national holidays. That's the most important one.

Just move Voting Day to a weekend. No reason why it needs to be on a random Tuesday. Move it to Saturday and we're good. Let's be honest, it probably wasn't on a Saturday because folks didn't want anything spilling over to Sunday as it was the sabbath. It's almost like a remnant of the blue laws. Make it the first Saturday in November and away we go.
Agreed it should be on a Saturday if we were to have one voting day, but it still should be a paid holiday. Wouldn't matter for those who don't work Saturdays, but plenty of people do.

Personally, I think we should have an entire voting week (not as a holiday though). :twocents:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:03 am

Agreed it should be on a Saturday if we were to have one voting day, but it still should be a paid holiday. Wouldn't matter for those who don't work Saturdays, but plenty of people do.

Personally, I think we should have an entire voting week (not as a holiday though). :twocents:
Well, considering that we're moving to mail-in voting, extended voting windows, etc, I don't see the need for a paid holiday. If we want to scrap mail-in voting and extended voting windows, then yes, it makes sense for it to be a paid holiday. Seems like an either/or to me.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

Are Saturdays and issue for the Jewish population?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:11 am

Who cares? Fuck 'em. They're mostly lib anyway.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Eh, like I said, it's not perfect. I think we leave Election Day where it is, not make it a federal holiday, and just allow mail-in voting and have 1-2 weeks before the election be open for walk-in voting. If you can't find time to cast a vote in that scenario then all the blame is on you.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

93henfan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:12 am
2 4

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Mail-in voting can be pretty complicated, especially for young people who have never registered to vote, voted, or used the mail system (which is a ton of people). We can have both options:

Voting week (no holiday) and mail-in;

or Saturday voting day (paid holiday) and mail-in.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Most states already have early voting. In Georgia, it's a month. No need for another week on top of that.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

What other bullshit holidays can we make up? I'm all in favor of doubling the Federal holiday count from 10 to 20.

We can make up at least five more bullshit holidays for negros alone. They have a beef about EVERYTHING. Kwanzaa, Rosa Park's birthday, Reginald Denny's bricking, Tupac's birthday, Kobe Bryant. What else can they celebrate? There has to be a ton.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:21 am
93henfan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:12 am

2 4

:rofl: :notworthy:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Baldy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:22 am

Most states already have early voting. In Georgia, it's a month. No need for another week on top of that.
A month? Then why does GA have such a big problem on election day? What the heck is wrong down there that it's been such a cluster recently?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:29 am
A month? Then why does GA have such a big problem on election day? What the heck is wrong down there that it's been such a cluster recently?
Have you ever been to Georgia?

It's not exactly the epicenter of the Enlightenment, if you catch my drift.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:23 am What other bullshit holidays can we make up? I'm all in favor of doubling the Federal holiday count from 10 to 20.

We can make up at least five more bullshit holidays for negros alone. They have a beef about EVERYTHING. Kwanzaa, Rosa Park's birthday, Reginald Denny's bricking, Tupac's birthday, Kobe Bryant. What else can they celebrate? There has to be a ton.
Eh, like I said, this shouldn't be just an African-American holiday. We ended slavery after a tremendously costly war. That was a pretty big deal. We should pat ourselves on the back for that. Well done us - all of us (well, maybe not the losers, but they lost so tough luck).
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

The overwhelming vast majority of the problems are in the city of ATL. Need I say more?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Baldy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:35 am

The overwhelming vast majority of the problems are in the city of ATL. Need I say more?
Fucking Sherman.
Baldy
Level4
Level4

Post by Baldy »

93henfan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:37 am
Baldy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:35 am
Fucking Sherman.
Yeah, fuck that guy, but the problems are urban democrats.