What will happen with the 2020 college football season?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Re: What will happen with the 2020 college football season?

Post by grizzaholic »

kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:33 am
grizzaholic wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:27 am

:nod: :nod:
Whoot!
I'll go over the EWU fight song so I can participate this time.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

grizzaholic wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:36 am

Whoot!
:lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

grizzaholic wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:36 am

Whoot!
Ten thousand men of Cheney
Want victory today...
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:56 pm Image
NDSU should offer to host..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

PLEASE if we only have one game this season

PLEASE let it be Oregon-NDSU so the Bison can get whipped and then we don’t have to hear how they totally could have won the game if only it had been played

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

CID1990 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:02 am PLEASE if we only have one game this season

PLEASE let it be Oregon-NDSU so the Bison can get whipped and then we don’t have to hear how they totally could have won the game if only it had been played

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bonarae
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas

Post by bonarae »

No CP and Sac this season, along with their G5 counterparts in the CSUs. :ohno:
Top two wishes of Ivy football fans everywhere: Playoff participation by the Ivy champion and the diversification of opponents in scheduling games.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

1st football casualty, although a Div II.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/20 ... utType=amp
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Well at least Roos Field will have brand new shiny red turf by this fall, football or not.

They started removal yesterday.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

bonarae wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:40 pm No CP and Sac this season, along with their G5 counterparts in the CSUs. :ohno:
Not so. At least not yet. All they've said is no on-campus classes. They haven't said a word about sports yet.

Sierra College (a juco in Rocklin, CA) has a football coach who has already said that he plans to play even though the school has also gone all-in on online classes for the fall, providing that the juco athletics governing authority allows for it. Sac could easily do the same, provided that the CSU doesn't step in to block it, which they haven't done yet....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:49 pm 1st football casualty, although a Div II.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/20 ... utType=amp
Dumb. Taking the season off because of COVID and disbanding the program are two entirely different concepts. This must be an anti-athletics takeover from the faculty, similar to what happened at UOP, where the faculty was out to get football eliminated as early as 1985; it didn't actually happen until 1995, however....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:24 am
bonarae wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:40 pm No CP and Sac this season, along with their G5 counterparts in the CSUs. :ohno:
Not so. At least not yet. All they've said is no on-campus classes. They haven't said a word about sports yet.

Sierra College (a juco in Rocklin, CA) has a football coach who has already said that he plans to play even though the school has also gone all-in on online classes for the fall, providing that the juco athletics governing authority allows for it. Sac could easily do the same, provided that the CSU doesn't step in to block it, which they haven't done yet....
When the UC system decides the same thing, the Pac-12 will step in and decide if they are going to play. Whatever they decide to do, the Mountain West and Big Sky will no doubt do the same as the Pac-12. Right now, too soon to tell.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

JALMOND wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:58 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:24 am

When the UC system decides the same thing, the Pac-12 will step in and decide if they are going to play. Whatever they decide to do, the Mountain West and Big Sky will no doubt do the same as the Pac-12. Right now, too soon to tell.
Agree, and CA D1 FB is not done for yet (I expect the UCs to go the same route as the CSU's)...

...but it ain't looking good.

Nevermind that healthy 20 year olds have a better shot a dying from a lightening strike than the Chinese Flu, but whatever. :dunce:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

How things could open up with June or July workouts. Will your school be getting a RAZOR or similar?
https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/05 ... eparations
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Nothing specifically football related, but both Notre Dame and South Carolina separately in the last two days announced they are having the full student body back on campus in the fall. Shift in schedule, they will start two weeks earlier, have no included fall break, and will be done and leaving campus at Thanksgiving (not coming back for finals). Finals will be incorporated in the class or done online. Idea is to get the semester done before the chance of a recurrence in the colder months. Notre Dame even detailed further, said all students and faculty and other staff will be full contact traced when on campus, will have testing, and will have facilities to isolate and quarantine students as needed.

Like I said, not football related per se, but the writing's on the wall that they will be playing football in some locations this fall.

https://news.nd.edu/news/notre-dame-to- ... of-aug-10/
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

GannonFan wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 7:28 am Nothing specifically football related, but both Notre Dame and South Carolina separately in the last two days announced they are having the full student body back on campus in the fall. Shift in schedule, they will start two weeks earlier, have no included fall break, and will be done and leaving campus at Thanksgiving (not coming back for finals). Finals will be incorporated in the class or done online. Idea is to get the semester done before the chance of a recurrence in the colder months. Notre Dame even detailed further, said all students and faculty and other staff will be full contact traced when on campus, will have testing, and will have facilities to isolate and quarantine students as needed.

Like I said, not football related per se, but the writing's on the wall that they will be playing football in some locations this fall.

https://news.nd.edu/news/notre-dame-to- ... of-aug-10/
Key word in that entire post is in the last sentence...SOME...

Certain governors are hell bent on keeping their states locked down as long as possible...for various reasons...and it will be interesting to see if the money in college football can get them to change, or make exceptions...

So, for example, if the Michigan governor holds tight, can the Big 10 successfully operate without UM or MSU? If The Cali governor refuses to allow his state to open to the extent needed to field football teams, can the PAC 10 operate successfully? Will the DoD allow the Air Force Acadamy, West Point and Annapolis to play football while they are still prohibiting troops to leave overseas assignments, stranding families around the world???
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

FWIW:
On Wednesday, the NCAA Division I Council voted to allow voluntary workouts for football and basketball players starting June 1. That’s the biggest development from the virtual meeting. But the council also granted some scheduling waivers in an attempt to proactively make it easier for schools to play a full schedule if teams across the top level of college football don’t play football in the fall because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The 130 FBS schools at the top level of college football are now not required to play 60 percent of their games against fellow FBS schools or play five home games against FBS opponents. That would allow an FBS team to fill a schedule with FCS schools in the event that multiple opponents weren’t playing football in 2020.

Teams at the FCS level are now no longer required to play at least half of their games against either FCS or FBS opponents. That means FCS teams can play Division II teams to fill a schedule...
Few other tidbits that the NCAA decided on from the article..
https://sports.yahoo.com/as-coronavirus ... 02506.html
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:16 pm FWIW:
On Wednesday, the NCAA Division I Council voted to allow voluntary workouts for football and basketball players starting June 1. That’s the biggest development from the virtual meeting. But the council also granted some scheduling waivers in an attempt to proactively make it easier for schools to play a full schedule if teams across the top level of college football don’t play football in the fall because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The 130 FBS schools at the top level of college football are now not required to play 60 percent of their games against fellow FBS schools or play five home games against FBS opponents. That would allow an FBS team to fill a schedule with FCS schools in the event that multiple opponents weren’t playing football in 2020.

Teams at the FCS level are now no longer required to play at least half of their games against either FCS or FBS opponents. That means FCS teams can play Division II teams to fill a schedule...
1. Why specifically football and hoops? Why keep VB, wrestling, and indoor track on the "outs?"
2. The D-II thing is a red herring. Anyone opting that route beyond what is already common practice will shut themselves out of the playoffs on SOS concerns alone.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

UPDATE: SEC Votes to Resume Voluntary In-Person Athletics Activities, Big 12 Follows Suit

It was a big day for college athletics as the SEC has voted to resume voluntary in-person athletics activities beginning June 8.

It's a move that everyone expected to happen, which many believe will have most of the other Power Five conferences following suit. In fact, the Big 12 Board of Directors voted on Friday to resume voluntary football workouts on June 15, with all other fall student-athletes to resume on July 1, according to a report from Chuck Carlton of the Dallas Morning News.

Winter and spring sport athletes have a July 15 return date set.

Big 12 athletic directors were informed Friday afternoon, a few days before the start of the virtual spring meetings scheduled to begin next week.

While the Big 12 has approved a return to the facilities for student-athletes, each program will have to follow local and state guidelines in place due to the on-going COVID-19 pandemic.
https://www.si.com/college/oklahomastat ... e-workouts

We'll see if this starts a trickle down effect with the rest of Div I...
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

ISU AD says 30k at Jack Trice this year

Iowa State athletic director Jaime Pollard is telling Cyclones fans that football home games will be played at no more than 50% capacity at Jack Trice Stadium, pending a change in state and local health guidelines. That means no more than 30,000 fans.

Pollard made the announcement in a letter posted to the ISU athletics website Tuesday.

About 22,000 season tickets have been renewed, leaving about 8,000 seats to be filled. Fans not renewing their season tickets and making their Cyclone Club donation by June 12 won’t be allowed to attend games unless guidelines change and capacity can exceed 50%. Single-game tickets sales are unlikely unless capacity is increased.

Season ticket holders who don’t renew for 2020 will continue to have first rights on their same seats for 2021. Season ticket holders who renew but later decide they aren’t comfortable attending games because of fear of coronavirus infection can request a refund or defer the purchase of their season tickets to the 2021 season.

Pollard wrote that ISU will take measures to mitigate the risk to fans and announce them later.

“After consulting with campus officials, we have concluded there is no reasonable way to guarantee that no one will contract the COVID-19 virus,” Pollard said. “Trying to adhere to a standard of absolute protection is simply not reasonable. We would either be held accountable for being far too restrictive or, more likely, not restrictive enough.”

Pollard added, “It will ultimately be up to each attendee to decide whether they are comfortable attending games given the mitigation strategies we will implement. That decision will remain a personal choice that all attendees need to make.”

https://www.clintonherald.com/sports/is ... 28be9.html
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:01 am
BDKJMU wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:16 pm FWIW:

1. Why specifically football and hoops? Why keep VB, wrestling, and indoor track on the "outs?"
2. The D-II thing is a red herring. Anyone opting that route beyond what is already common practice will shut themselves out of the playoffs on SOS concerns alone.
1. Those sports make money.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:01 pm Roll Chinese Virus
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ronavirus/
If they don't specify where these players picked up the virus, it'll play out like what MSM tried to do to Liberty: run with the potentially bogus assumption that they picked it up on campus during workouts.

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

I saw where some columnist suggested we'll see kneeling during the anthem this upcoming season at the pro, college, and HS football. As far as college how if the players aren't on the field? At JMU JMU the national anthem is done as I vaguely recall about 10-12 min before the game starts when the players aren't on the field. I just watched a JMU pre game video. The anthem started 10+ min/was finished about 9 min before the players came out of the tunnel to smoke/fireworks and all that pre game rah rah stuff (the captains had come out earlier, but well after the anthem) 1-2 min before kickoff.

For fans of other schools- is that how its done at your school (the anthem being done before the players come out on the field)?

Edit: Nevermind, apparently its almost universal in college that players aren't on the field for the anthem.
https://sports.yahoo.com/college-footba ... 45084.html