Political discussions
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by Pwns »

Dumb to brandish a gun against a guy you might think be a burglar, dumb of the black guy to try and take the gun from someone, needless loss of a life caused by needless escalation.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Here we go again (Brunswick, Georgia)

Post by GannonFan »

I don't blame the victim at all. Clear case in my mind on this one that the two white dudes in the pickup truck are fully in the wrong. This wasn't their property, they didn't have any standing to accost this guy in the middle of the street brandishing weapons. If I think two guys with weapons might kill me I might fight back as well. There wasn't any need to stop this guy while brandishing weapons. The two white guys should spend a long time in prison as a result of this. Fortunately it was filmed - video isn't perfect, but it's more than enough to show the white dudes in the wrong here.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Pwns wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 am needless escalation.
I never like to pass judgment in these cases, but the needless escalation is 100% on the guy and son chasing somebody in a pickup with guns out.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

What a bunch of idiots. They deserve what's coming to them.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

What in the actual fuck?

Piece of shits.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

89Hen wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:17 am
Pwns wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 am needless escalation.
I never like to pass judgment in these cases, but the needless escalation is 100% on the guy and son chasing somebody in a pickup with guns out.
+1
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:14 am I don't blame the victim at all. Clear case in my mind on this one that the two white dudes in the pickup truck are fully in the wrong. This wasn't their property, they didn't have any standing to accost this guy in the middle of the street brandishing weapons. If I think two guys with weapons might kill me I might fight back as well. There wasn't any need to stop this guy while brandishing weapons. The two white guys should spend a long time in prison as a result of this. Fortunately it was filmed - video isn't perfect, but it's more than enough to show the white dudes in the wrong here.
Just for the record, I'm fine with charging these two guys (as long as prosecutors don't stupidly go for premeditated murder charges or hate crimes out of pandering).

But I don't care if you're getting robbed or if you're up against some wannabe neighborhood cop...do not try to take the gun unless you're sure getting shot is imminent.

Really, this seems a lot like Trayvon Martin except there's a chance Martin didn't know George Zimmerman was armed.
Celebrate Diversity.*
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

At least 2nd degree murder.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Pwns wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:34 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:14 am I don't blame the victim at all. Clear case in my mind on this one that the two white dudes in the pickup truck are fully in the wrong. This wasn't their property, they didn't have any standing to accost this guy in the middle of the street brandishing weapons. If I think two guys with weapons might kill me I might fight back as well. There wasn't any need to stop this guy while brandishing weapons. The two white guys should spend a long time in prison as a result of this. Fortunately it was filmed - video isn't perfect, but it's more than enough to show the white dudes in the wrong here.
Just for the record, I'm fine with charging these two guys (as long as prosecutors don't stupidly go for premeditated murder charges or hate crimes out of pandering).

But I don't care if you're getting robbed or if you're up against some wannabe neighborhood cop...do not try to take the gun unless you're sure getting shot is imminent.

Really, this seems a lot like Trayvon Martin except there's a chance Martin didn't know George Zimmerman was armed.
These guys are claiming a citizen's arrest. Good luck with that defense. And regarding your statement, "do not try to take the gun unless you're sure getting shot is imminent'... lolwtf? No, if you feel your life is in danger, you do whatever the fuck you think you need to do to survive. The dipshit with the long gun broke every rule of defensive carry. You DO NOT present the weapon unless your life is in imminent danger. That's how Zimmerman got off. There was no video and his lawyer painted the picture that his life was in danger. The pickup bubba's obviously were in no danger that they didn't create themselves.

More background:
According to reports, Arbery was jogging in the Satilla Shores neighborhood on February 23 when a man and his son chased him down and confronted him. A struggle would follow and would end with Arbery shot and killed. The men, Gregory and Travis McMichael, told police later that they thought he looked like the suspect in a series of recent break-ins in the area.

To date, no charges have been filed in the incident. Travis McMichael claims he was acting within the scope of a citizen's arrest.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:39 am

These guys are claiming a citizen's arrest. Good luck with that defense. And regarding your statement, "do not try to take the gun unless you're sure getting shot is imminent'... lolwtf? No, if you feel your life is in danger, you do whatever the fuck you think you need to do to survive. The dipshit with the long gun broke every rule of defensive carry. You DO NOT present the weapon unless your life is in imminent danger. That's how Zimmerman got off. There was no video and his lawyer painted the picture that his life was in danger. The pickup bubba's obviously were in no danger that they didn't create themselves.

More background:
According to reports, Arbery was jogging in the Satilla Shores neighborhood on February 23 when a man and his son chased him down and confronted him. A struggle would follow and would end with Arbery shot and killed. The men, Gregory and Travis McMichael, told police later that they thought he looked like the suspect in a series of recent break-ins in the area.

To date, no charges have been filed in the incident. Travis McMichael claims he was acting within the scope of a citizen's arrest.
Wait...they haven’t been charges?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

I don't see premeditated murder, but I have no problem if they tacked on the hate crime label. Would they have gone after another guy if he was white? Unlikely. The fact that they were white and he was black is certainly going to be material in this. But that can come out in discovery and at the trial. These guys are guilty and are going to jail, I don't think there's a lot of doubt about that. Just a question of how long.

As for fighting back, I don't think the video shows enough to make the conclusion you're jumping to - maybe he thought he was about to be shot. There's certainly plenty of history in this country of an unarmed black man being confronted with armed white guys and it not ending up well for the black guy. It's a gut reaction and a quick one, but I can't blame a guy for deciding this might end up badly for him and trying to fight back to stop that from happening. Again, don't be the guys waving guns stopping someone in the middle of a public road - that's where the blame lies.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:48 am

More background:
:rofl:

Also, either

*there

or

*charged

Pick one.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:48 am

More background:
There will be now with this video.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

GannonFan wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:49 am
I don't see premeditated murder, but I have no problem if they tacked on the hate crime label. Would they have gone after another guy if he was white? Unlikely.
Whew boy, that is a super stretch right there my man.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

93henfan wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:51 am
GannonFan wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:49 am
I don't see premeditated murder, but I have no problem if they tacked on the hate crime label. Would they have gone after another guy if he was white? Unlikely.
Whew boy, that is a super stretch right there my man.
I'm sure they'll now look into the background of these guys - have they been in a crime before, do they have a history of trying to make citizen's arrests and is there a racial pattern to that, what have they posted on the internet, etc. If they've done stuff or said stuff that paints them as racists then they'll likely go with the hate crime label. I don't feel sorry for them if that's the case - don't want to get charged with a hate crime? Well, don't be a white person and have a racist background and then go out with weapons, confront an unarmed black guy in the street, and shoot him dead. Avoiding a hate crime was very possible in this case. And who makes citizen's arrests anyway? In the middle of the day, with this guy jogging in broad daylight on a public road?
Pwns
Level4
Level4

Post by Pwns »

You're talking about legalities, here. I don't think there's any question which party committed the crime. I'm just saying if it's me, my concern isn't being in the right legally but surviving. If someone tries to rob me at gunpoint or carjack me, I understand some thugs will shoot even if you give them what you want, but I'm not trying to get the gun unless I'm sure I'll get shot no matter what I do (especially if there's two guys).
Celebrate Diversity.*
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Pwns wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 am

You're talking about legalities, here. I don't think there's any question which party committed the crime. I'm just saying if it's me, my concern isn't being in the right legally but surviving. If someone tries to rob me at gunpoint or carjack me, I understand some thugs will shoot even if you give them what you want, but I'm not trying to get the gun unless I'm sure I'll get shot no matter what I do (especially if there's two guys).
Oh, so you can tell this in a split second upon having someone pull a gun on you? Sure.

Fight or flight will kick in.

As far as this shooting goes, the whole thing looks like a lynching to me. Throw all these fucks in jail.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Pwns wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:34 am Really, this seems a lot like Trayvon Martin except there's a chance Martin didn't know George Zimmerman was armed.
Not really.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 am

This didn't look like a robbery or a carjacking - it looked like these white guys thought this black guy was a criminal and they were going to do something about it - with weapons. And the fact that this happened in late February and these guys have been free and uncharged since then (so about two and a half months) and would still be in the clear if there wasn't a video, at least goes to show that there's a reasonable belief in that area that white people with weapons can confront a black guy without one and do whatever they want. If I'm a black guy in that scenario I'm not going to just let happen whatever they want - I wouldn't trust these guys to be fair and judicial.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

I'm not shocked that these two Gomers are still free.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ibanez wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:04 am I'm not shocked that these two Gomers are still free.
Indeed. :ohno:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

It's CCN but if this is true ...

Video posted online as DA says case of Georgia man who was chased and killed will go to grand jury
The two grabbed a shotgun and a pistol and followed Arbery in their truck, police said. Travis McMichael, the driver, followed Arbery and then attempted to cut him off, the report said. Arbery turned around and began running in the opposite direction, the police report said.

They chased Arbery to a nearby intersection, where they caught up to him, the report said.
At best, the men had the authority to follow Arbery and send law enforcement to that location, Merritt said. The 911 calls show the call taker was asking the men what Arbery is doing that was of criminal concern, Merritt said.

"They didn't give any answer for that, they said, 'He's a black man running down our road,'" Merritt said.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Merritt is the dead man's lawyer. I wouldn't base a hate crime charge on what he says. He has financial incentive, of course, to make this as big as he can.

Like every other incident of this nature, the facts will get out eventually. Until then, everyone will take predictable sides. Facebook should be good reading for the next couple of days.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Trump has done a poor job healing the racial divisions of the country.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Skjellyfetti wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:47 pm Trump has done a poor job healing the racial divisions of the country.
No argument from me on that one. He's fanned those flames.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm