Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

WBB - Montana Fires Shannon Cate-Schweyen

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

https://skylinesportsmt.com/schweyen-wi ... ead-coach/
https://missoulian.com/sports/college/b ... 3c85f.html

I'm surprised about this, especially considering the statewide university hiring freeze that was just implemented. The Missoulian article indicates she was in good shape to keep her job a few weeks ago, but I guess the Gabi Harrington transfer or something else unreported did her in (I doubt the Kylie Frohlich transfer did it; she was only a borderline DI player).

It'll be interesting to see if Jamie Pickens, who was an ESPN top-100 recruit, stays. I get the impression her longtime friendship with the Schweyen family was the main reason UM landed her.
mtjack
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NAU Lumberjacks!

Re: Big Sky Basketball, 2019-20

Post by mtjack »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:01 pm [
Yes - I thought before the end of the season he deserved the job
On a good note, the coaching situation is now settled. On a bad note, a bunch of good players jump ship (Bernie Andre and Cam Satterwhite). Ouch.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

mtjack wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:06 pm
dbackjon wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:01 pm [
Yes - I thought before the end of the season he deserved the job
On a good note, the coaching situation is now settled. On a bad note, a bunch of good players jump ship (Bernie Andre and Cam Satterwhite). Ouch.
Yeah… Satterwhite jumped to the Griz. This seems to be far from his first jump, though. :?
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Re: WBB - Montana Fires Shannon Cate-Schweyen

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:25 pm https://skylinesportsmt.com/schweyen-wi ... ead-coach/

I'm surprised about this, especially considering the statewide university hiring freeze that was just implemented. The Missoulian article indicates she was in good shape to keep her job a few weeks ago, but I guess the Gabi Harrington transfer or something else unreported did her in (I doubt the Kylie Frohlich transfer did it; she was only a borderline DI player).

It'll be interesting to see if Jamie Pickens, who was an ESPN top-100 recruit, stays. I get the impression her longtime friendship with the Schweyen family was the main reason UM landed her.
The Skyline article indicates assistant Mike Petrino will serve as the interim HC for next season. That makes the firing look more puzzling, really, and makes it abundantly clear this was a last-second decision by AD Kent Haslam. Skyline has a tendency to get details wrong, though, so maybe we should all wait & see on that.

Incidentally, Mike Petrino is a cousin of both Idaho football coach Paul Petrino and the infamous Bobby Petrino.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:04 am
Mvemjsunpx wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:25 pm https://skylinesportsmt.com/schweyen-wi ... ead-coach/

The Skyline article indicates assistant Mike Petrino will serve as the interim HC for next season. That makes the firing look more puzzling, really, and makes it abundantly clear this was a last-second decision by AD Kent Haslam. Skyline has a tendency to get details wrong, though, so maybe we should all wait & see on that.

Incidentally, Mike Petrino is a cousin of both Idaho football coach Paul Petrino and the infamous Bobby Petrino.
It is always difficult to take over a program after a legendary coach leaves. No matter what you do, you will never escape that shadow, and you will constantly be judged based on their success.

I'm very sad for her and her family. Back in high school, she was a freshman when I was a senior, so I've enjoyed following her career from afar.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Bad News for Portland State…

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Re: Bad News for Portland State…

Post by JALMOND »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:45 pm
Everyone is tight-lipped on it out here. I can't get any information on it. It seems every time Woods heads home, Grand Canyon seems to follow him everywhere.

I'm still working on it, seeing what I can dig up.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Ouch. Their other top 3 scorers all graduate. Tons of holes to fill for the Vikes.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:04 pm
Everyone is tight-lipped on it out here. I can't get any information on it. It seems every time Woods heads home, Grand Canyon seems to follow him everywhere.

GCU is shopping for transfers hard-core
:thumb:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:19 pm
JALMOND wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:04 pm

Rumors were flying all over the place about Woods transferring to GCU last summer.

I still can't find anyone here who knows something. Woods is still shown on the PSU roster.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:55 pm
dbackjon wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:19 pm

Rumors were flying all over the place about Woods transferring to GCU last summer.

I still can't find anyone here who knows something. Woods is still shown on the PSU roster.
There is this.

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:20 am
Mvemjsunpx wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:04 am

It is always difficult to take over a program after a legendary coach leaves. No matter what you do, you will never escape that shadow, and you will constantly be judged based on their success.

I'm very sad for her and her family. Back in high school, she was a freshman when I was a senior, so I've enjoyed following her career from afar.
I was firmly opposed to Shannon being fired before Wednesday, but now I'm not so sure. If she had been fired because 17-13 and 4th. place wasn't good enough for this past season, then that would be stupid, but the fact she was offered a contract extension immediately after the QF loss indicates that wasn't the case. Haslam was unwilling to get rid of Shannon perhaps as recently as last week, but by Wednesday he was suddenly so desperate to get rid of her that he was willing to go with an interim coach for next season. That suggests there was a red-alert, Romulan-fleet-decloaking-off-the-port-bow level emergency going on. I don't have a lot of faith in Kent Haslam for various reasons, but I think he may have been put in a no-win scenario here.

*Addendum* - There is now a rapidly growing group opposed to the firing developing on facebook that includes many former Lady Griz players. Haslam's silence about the matter has been odd, and he can't afford to be silent much longer. Things seem to be getting ugly fast…

*Addendum 2* - One of the members of the anti-Shannon-firing facebook group is Jamie Pickens. That's, uh, not good… :?
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Woods' choices down to five schools, PSU is one of them.

https://247sports.com/Article/Arizona-S ... 145741601/

He is not ruling out coming back to the Viks, but the choice of schools is interesting.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:01 am

He is not ruling out coming back to the Viks, but the choice of schools is interesting.
Per the Arizona Republic, there is speculation that Arizona State and Gonzaga are the frontrunners. Any transfer would have to be approved by the NCAA as Woods has not graduated from PSU yet.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 954493001/
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

More WBB Transfers

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

I'm not gonna note every transfer this offseason, but these two are big…

EWU, who went 4-26 this past season, just lost arguably their two best players. Cravens led the Big Sky in rebounds, while McDowell-White led the league in assists. :?
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: More WBB Transfers

Post by SDHornet »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:44 pm I'm not gonna note every transfer this offseason, but these two are big…

EWU, who went 4-26 this past season, just lost arguably their two best players. Cravens led the Big Sky in rebounds, while McDowell-White led the league in assists. :?
Great news for Sac State. :kisswink:
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Re: More WBB Transfers

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:08 pm
Mvemjsunpx wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:44 pm I'm not gonna note every transfer this offseason, but these two are big…

Great news for Sac State. :kisswink:
Hornet basketball: Play Here and You Won't Be Last!

Also, McDowell-White was responsible for arguably the best play in Big Sky Tournament history:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:25 am
JALMOND wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:01 am

Per the Arizona Republic, there is speculation that Arizona State and Gonzaga are the frontrunners. Any transfer would have to be approved by the NCAA as Woods has not graduated from PSU yet.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 954493001/
Tristan Freeman of BustingBrackets.com on Woods' possible transfer destinations.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2020/04/06/ ... and-woods/
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Per ESPN, Holland Woods is heading home.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... zona-state
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:49 pm Per ESPN, Holland Woods is heading home.

So… he likes Portland State and Barrett Peery, but he's willing to sit out a year and delay his pro career just to go to ASU. :?
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:24 am
JALMOND wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:49 pm Per ESPN, Holland Woods is heading home.

So… he likes Portland State and Barrett Peery, but he's willing to sit out a year and delay his pro career just to go to ASU. :?
Do you think he has a pro career?

I think the uncertainties of "what's next" is causing some of these kids to want to stay closer to home. I would have questioned Woods' decision more if he had ended up at Gonzaga or Oregon State. He came from a close-knit family and with this virus thing and the fear of "not knowing" (I mean college basketball next year may not even start on time), has caused many kids to explore the possibilities of staying at home. PSU has picked up two transfers already who played their high school ball in the metro area, one of which even said that people aren't going to understand why he is transferring to Portland State. Knowing the kid and understanding the times we are in now, Woods' transferring to ASU made the most sense. I'm just glad it wasn't Grand Canyon, although that would have made sense, too.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

JALMOND wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:11 am
Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:24 am

I figure he has some level of pro career, and I'm guessing he'll at least try for the NBA.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:55 pm
JALMOND wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:11 am

I figure he has some level of pro career, and I'm guessing he'll at least try for the NBA.
Woods' first season at PSU, he put up comparable numbers to Lillard's first season at Weber, then his shooting percentage tailed off a bit last year. At a generous 6-1, he is undersized at the NBA level so, if he can't shoot, he will have to work on his ball-handling and passing and be like Rondo or Rubio. The same holds true if he went to Europe. Playing for someone like Hurley may get him to work on his passing and court-awareness. He may get a cup of coffee at a pro level, but he will need a Lillard-like work ethic (and a lot of luck) to stay.
Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Mvemjsunpx wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:25 pm It'll be interesting to see if Jamie Pickens, who was an ESPN top-100 recruit, stays. I get the impression her longtime friendship with the Schweyen family was the main reason UM landed her.
Well, that question is now answered… :?

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/b ... 1cc93.html

The fact she's transferring down in surprising, though Carroll is her hometown team.

Oh… and it's now 16 days since Shannon Cate-Schweyen's firing, and there's still been no official announcement of a coaching change from the university. Has anyone checked to make sure there's no rotting, fly-ridden corpse of Kent Haslam sitting at a desk in the UM Athletic Department? :?
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Malcolm Porter (former NBA star Terry Porter's son) is transferring from U of Portland to NAU
:thumb: