UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: The Glue to NDSU's Defense Enters Transfer Portal

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:00 pm
JohnStOnge wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:07 pm

I don't think it's a given that he'll start. I wouldn't be surprised if he does but I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't. I WOULD be surprised if he doesn't get significant playing time. I don't think they'd have made a scholarship available for him if they didn't expect that he would.

The reason I say that I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't start is that, though LSU lost its starters, it had 14 linebackers on its roster last year that were underclassmen who didn't declare for the draft. Obviously most of those guys were top recruits. They also signed four top linebacker recruits for this year. So there should be some stout competition.
Cox has been a man among boys with NDSU. In ISU playoff game he was in the backfield, fell trying to tackle Robinson, the NFL bound RB. Got up and tackled him 15 yards later. He didn't get a lot of stats, because many teams ran plays away from him. If he had gone to the draft this year, draftsite had him as a 2nd or 3rd round pick most of the 2019 season. He was a QB in high school, so he didn't have a lot of schools looking at him. Fell into the Bison lap, similar to Carson Wentz. Probably the best defensive player to come out of NDSU, EVER.
All of my bad jokes aside, Cox is a great player and my money is on him to start for LSU. He has the physical tools, the brains and the drive.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:45 am

Cox has been a man among boys with NDSU. In ISU playoff game he was in the backfield, fell trying to tackle Robinson, the NFL bound RB. Got up and tackled him 15 yards later. He didn't get a lot of stats, because many teams ran plays away from him. If he had gone to the draft this year, draftsite had him as a 2nd or 3rd round pick most of the 2019 season. He was a QB in high school, so he didn't have a lot of schools looking at him. Fell into the Bison lap, similar to Carson Wentz. Probably the best defensive player to come out of NDSU, EVER.
All of my bad jokes aside, Cox is a great player and my money is on him to start for LSU. He has the physical tools, the brains and the drive.
I guess if I had to bet I'd bet he starts because I don't think LSU would've pursued him if they didn't think there was a good chance of that happening. I don't think they'd take somebody with one year of eligibility left if they didn't expect a lot. But it's obviously a very high talent level program.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: 2020 Transfer Portal

Post by Gil Dobie »

North Dakota State WR James Kepouros has entered the portal as a grad transfer. Finished the 2019 season with 30 rec for 394 yards and 2 TD
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

No doubt Cox is a great player. There’s a dipshit on eGriz who claims he’ll be the first LB off the board come draft day....He’s good....he ain’t THAT good.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:30 pm

No doubt Cox is a great player. There’s a dipshit on eGriz who claims he’ll be the first LB off the board come draft day....He’s good....he ain’t THAT good.
He could be, last year he was project 2nd or 3rd round if he had left early. Have to see how his final year goes.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2020 Transfer Portal

Post by Gil Dobie »

Jabril Cox is listed as the #7, 2021 SEC draft prospect by Athlon Sports.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:30 pm

Looking good at LSU so far.

Link

Jabril Cox was the best defensive player on the field in most games he played for North Dakota State. Now his new coach says he's the best player on the field at LSU.

That's high praise, considering his new coach is Ed Orergon of defending Football Bowl Subdivision champion Tigers.

In a radio interview with a New Orleans sports radio station, Orergon said Cox has been "phenomenal" for the sixth-ranked Tigers.

"When we left the field a couple of days ago, I thought he was the best player on the field," Orgeron said. "The guy's made some plays. I haven't heard him say a word yet. I don't think I've heard him say, 'Hello, Coach.' He's calm he's focused. He knows the defense. Right now, to me, he's solidified that he's a starter for us in my eyes. He's done a great job here."

Cox was a three-year starter at NDSU and two-time All-America. He transferred from the Bison in the spring and, after a brief recruiting period that included most of the major programs in the country, committed to LSU.

Later in his weekly press conference with media covering LSU, Orergon heaped more praise on Cox, saying he believes the former Bison "is going to have an excellent year."

The Tigers, of the powerful Southeastern Conference, are scheduled to open Sept. 26 against Mississippi State in Baton Rouge.

"He came out with a great attitude. I mean, I said it this morning, I haven’t heard him say a word – maybe if I say a word to him, but his focus is razor-sharp,” Orgeron said. "He’s always studying, very smart, knows the defense, very fast.

"I think Jabril is about 6-foot-3 about to 225 to 230 — and can run, key and diagnose. Obviously, he has a lot of experience playing the position. He’s a physical tackler. He can shed blocks well, rush the passer well, drops in coverage. He’s a complete linebacker."

One of the reasons Cox chose LSU was that the Tigers lost starters at linebacker, giving Cox a chance to earn a starting position despite being a newcomer.

"First of all, he was an outstanding player at North Dakota State. They have a tremendous culture there. Those guys win, year in and year out, and he’s a great character young man," Orgeron said on Tuesday. "Speaking to him on the phone, guys knew him, he came on highly recommended. Now the thing I saw on film was a big linebacker that could run and hit and key and diagnose. I didn’t know he was gonna be that good.

"I think this guy is gonna have an excellent year at LSU. He definitely is an SEC linebacker. Obviously, he was overlooked in recruiting but here’s his shot. I think the thing I like most about Jabril is his maturity. He came in focused, he was going to win the starting job and be a great player."
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: 2020 Transfer Portal - Jabril Cox

Post by AZGrizFan »

Good for him. Orergon knows football, so I’ll take his word for it. Still a long ways to go before the draft.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Pick Six for Cox today.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:52 pm Pick Six for Cox today.
Kudos for Cox.

I see Miss St did pass for 623 yds/5 TDs in their 44-34 upset of LSU :shock: I see Bo Pelinni’s defense is working out real well for them.. :lol:
Last edited by BDKJMU on Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Speaking of I-AA 2 time AAs transferring up to P5s and making INTs this past weekend. JMU's D'Angelo Amos, 2x AA punt returner & was NFL Draftscout #2 ranked FS in I-AA, grad transferred up to UVA and is now starting at nickel. On Saturday vs Duke:

Obviously Cox was by by far the biggest grad transfer up. His announcement was pre virus.

I wonder how many grad transfers up there were among the top I-AA players? # had to be limited due to the fact that they had to be grads, so as to not sit out a yr.
-JMU had 2: Amos, and a 2 yr starting DT.
-Villanova had 2 enter the transfer portal: the NFL Draftscout #1 rated center in I-AA transferred to UCLA, and the top returning WR in the CAA transferred to VT.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

RB Cofield graduates this fall from NDSU, enters transfer portal.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

He had a chance to be a FIRST ROUND PICK!!!!!!!
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

BDKJMU wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:39 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:52 pm Pick Six for Cox today.
Kudos for Cox.

I see Miss St did pass for 623 yds/5 TDs in their 44-34 upset of LSU :shock: I see Bo Pelinni’s defense is working out real well for them.. :lol:
Can you say TORCHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Cox is leading the team in solo tackles, 2nd in total tackles, has a sack, pick six, 4.5 tackles for loss.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

A couple new faces coming this spring.

Go Bison Link

FARGO, N.D. – North Dakota State head football coach Matt Entz announced Monday, Dec. 21, the addition of transfers Quincy Patterson and Brayden Thomas to the Bison program.

Patterson, a quarterback from Chicago, played in three games as a sophomore at Virginia Tech this fall. He appeared in 13 career games including one start for the Hokies.

Thomas, a defensive end from Bismarck, N.D., had his senior season at Minnesota State Mankato canceled this fall. He will be eligible to play this spring at NDSU.

Patterson was one of the top quarterback recruits in the nation out of Solorio Academy in Chicago. He was invited to the Elite 11 quarterback competition in 2017 after competing in a regional with former NDSU quarterback Trey Lance.

In 13 games at Virginia Tech, Patterson was 22-of-52 passing for 359 yards and four touchdowns while rushing 74 times for 333 yards and three scores. He passed for a career-best 139 yards at Notre Dame in his first collegiate start.

Thomas had a breakout junior season in 2019 starting all 15 games for Division II national runner-up Minnesota State Mankato. He was named to the All-Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference second team after registering a team-best 21.0 tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks.

Part of two state semifinal teams at Bismarck High School, Thomas played in 11 games as a true freshman at the University of Mary in 2016 before transferring to Minnesota State Mankato.

North Dakota State (1-0) is scheduled to resume the 2020-21 football season on Sunday, Feb. 21, hosting Youngstown State in the first of eight Missouri Valley Football Conference games. The 16-team NCAA Division I football playoffs are slated to begin April 24.