Coronavirus COVID-19

Political discussions
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: Coronavirus

Post by ∞∞∞ »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:54 am
∞∞∞ wrote: I imagine most third-world citizens are like that, and probably quite a number of people in general. Even my parents, living here for 30+ years now, still operate with that mentality...until the entire household is sick.

I'm surprised India hasn't had an issue (3 cases) considering their size and proximity to China, although they don't have strong business relations. That said, they were on top of things at the airport: screenings, masks, mandatory quarantines. It was nothing like DC or Doha.

Of course it might be that people aren't going to the doctor, or perhaps Trump is right and it doesn't do well in warm climates. :mrgreen:
That whole thing started with the Thai Minister of Health - he said that Thailand would be fine because of the hot weather.

And all that is coming from SARS- which does in fact die when exposed to air over 100 degrees F. In fact it was summer that put a stop to that outbreak.

But nobody really knows yet if COVID-19 will be that sensitive.
Besides some temperature sensitives, one thing I read recently is that viruses become less deadly as they kill off more hosts, until it mutates to find a happy-medium or itself disappears. I guess it makes sense in hindsight that a strain wouldn't want to have a large mortality rate since it needs hosts to spread it. Influenza is a great example, and perhaps Corvid-19 will be joining the club of long-lived successful viruses. Apparently Ebola and other coronaviruses (SARS, MERS, etc.) are good examples of viruses which generally kill themselves off too "soon" when they appear, soon being years in some cases (which is a short time in biological terms).

Bacterias are the same but less-so since phages end up killing them off first (which is the most widespread biological entity on Earth). Also off-topic but the more I read up on phages, the more badass they sound.

Nature truly is insane. Even at the microscopic level, it's a never-ending war out there.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:54 am That whole thing started with the Thai Minister of Health - he said that Thailand would be fine because of the hot weather.

And all that is coming from SARS- which does in fact die when exposed to air over 100 degrees F. In fact it was summer that put a stop to that outbreak.

Besides some temperature sensitives, one thing I read recently is that viruses become less deadly as they kill off more hosts, until it mutates to find a happy-medium or itself disappears. I guess it makes sense in hindsight that a strain wouldn't want to have a large mortality rate since it needs hosts to spread it. Influenza is a great example, and perhaps Corvid-19 will be joining the club of long-lived successful viruses. Apparently Ebola and other coronaviruses (SARS, MERS, etc.) are good examples of viruses which generally kill themselves off too "soon" when they appear, soon being years in some cases (which is a short time in biological terms).

Bacterias are the same but less-so since phages end up killing them off first (which is the most widespread biological entity on Earth). Also off-topic but the more I read up on phages, the more badass they sound.

Nature truly is insane. Even at the microscopic level, it's a never-ending war out there.
The new coronavirus has a different adaptation that does give it a shot at being more successful than SARS or the viruses in the Ebola family - it is transmissible in asymptomatic patients. That allows it to get around the usual quarantine protocols, which largely rely on self reporting. It is also silent - many carriers barely exhibit symptoms. So maybe you feel a little hot, you take an ibuprofen and head on into the office where you spread it to your coworkers.

There’s the “get home” effect which allows for viruses to spread (but isn’t an adaptation). People who do feel symptoms and are abroad will try to return home. I handled the aftermath of the index case of Ebola in Nigeria in 2014. He caught it in Liberia, knew he was sick, and instead of getting to CDC docs who were all over Liberia and Côte d’Ivoire, he tried to fly back to the US from Monrovia. He collapsed in the Lagos airport. This is going to contribute to the cross border spread of the virus more than anything. You have to lock people down and that is especially hard to do in free societies.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:57 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Besides some temperature sensitives, one thing I read recently is that viruses become less deadly as they kill off more hosts, until it mutates to find a happy-medium or itself disappears. I guess it makes sense in hindsight that a strain wouldn't want to have a large mortality rate since it needs hosts to spread it. Influenza is a great example, and perhaps Corvid-19 will be joining the club of long-lived successful viruses. Apparently Ebola and other coronaviruses (SARS, MERS, etc.) are good examples of viruses which generally kill themselves off too "soon" when they appear, soon being years in some cases (which is a short time in biological terms).

The new coronavirus has a different adaptation that does give it a shot at being more successful than SARS or the viruses in the Ebola family - it is transmissible in asymptomatic patients. That allows it to get around the usual quarantine protocols, which largely rely on self reporting. It is also silent - many carriers barely exhibit symptoms. So maybe you feel a little hot, you take an ibuprofen and head on into the office where you spread it to your coworkers.

There’s the “get home” effect which allows for viruses to spread (but isn’t an adaptation). People who do feel symptoms and are abroad will try to return home. I handled the aftermath of the index case of Ebola in Nigeria in 2014. He caught it in Liberia, knew he was sick, and instead of getting to CDC docs who were all over Liberia and Côte d’Ivoire, he tried to fly back to the US from Monrovia. He collapsed in the Lagos airport. This is going to contribute to the cross border spread of the virus more than anything. You have to lock people down and that is especially hard to do in free societies.
Thanks, doctor.

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:54 am
∞∞∞ wrote: I imagine most third-world citizens are like that, and probably quite a number of people in general. Even my parents, living here for 30+ years now, still operate with that mentality...until the entire household is sick.

I'm surprised India hasn't had an issue (3 cases) considering their size and proximity to China, although they don't have strong business relations. That said, they were on top of things at the airport: screenings, masks, mandatory quarantines. It was nothing like DC or Doha.

Of course it might be that people aren't going to the doctor, or perhaps Trump is right and it doesn't do well in warm climates. :mrgreen:
That whole thing started with the Thai Minister of Health - he said that Thailand would be fine because of the hot weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What will Coronavirus do to a country like Bangladesh if it isn't as heat sensitive?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

US up to 53 cases (majority from that cruise ship. Meanwhile CDC: spread of coronavirus in U.S. appears inevitable.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as ... story.html
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:58 am US up to 53 cases (majority from that cruise ship. Meanwhile CDC: spread of coronavirus in U.S. appears inevitable.
It was nice knowing some of you....... :cry:

:coffee:
Go Black Bears!
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Hah, I already had a decent chance of dying soon.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB, MOTHERFUCKERS! WE HAVE COOKIES!!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:58 am US up to 53 cases (majority from that cruise ship. Meanwhile CDC: spread of coronavirus in U.S. appears inevitable.
Interesting choice of a source....
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:32 pm Hah, I already had a decent chance of dying soon.

I've already been given last rites. Where were you at the last meeting?! :tothehand: It was your turn to bring the cookies.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:05 pm
Interesting choice of a source....
I'm balanced. I include news outlets on the right and left. :D
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:32 pm Hah, I already had a decent chance of dying soon.

I think I'll take my chances with the coronavirus than you know...effing cancer. :lol:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

93henfan wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:57 am The new coronavirus has a different adaptation that does give it a shot at being more successful than SARS or the viruses in the Ebola family - it is transmissible in asymptomatic patients. That allows it to get around the usual quarantine protocols, which largely rely on self reporting. It is also silent - many carriers barely exhibit symptoms. So maybe you feel a little hot, you take an ibuprofen and head on into the office where you spread it to your coworkers.

Thanks, doctor.

I was the officer handling American citizens services in Nigeria. Aside from prepping for a possible evac, I was handling the next of kin, estate, and remains of the victim. I had a lot of CDC contact and support during that period.

Incidentally, two of my neighbors here are CDC and one just got back from Japan over the Princess lines ship

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Dick Pound :rofl: :rofl:

IOC member says call on canceling Olympics over coronavirus coming by May
In an interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday, Dick Pound, a former Canadian swimming champion who has served on the IOC since 1978, warned that should organizers deem the outbreak too serious for the Olympics to go on as planned, an outright cancellation of the games would be more likely than a postponement.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/2 ... ion-117434
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:01 pm
93henfan wrote:
Thanks, doctor.

I was the officer handling American citizens services in Nigeria. Aside from prepping for a possible evac, I was handling the next of kin, estate, and remains of the victim. I had a lot of CDC contact and support during that period.

Incidentally, two of my neighbors here are CDC and one just got back from Japan over the Princess lines ship

Well shit, that explains why you know everything! Holiday Inn Express had nothing to do with it.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

A lot of listings of N95 respirator masks on Amazon either back order, or recent listings with obscene prices.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronaviru ... th-demand/
mainejeff
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Maine
A.K.A.: mainejeff

Post by mainejeff »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:14 pm A lot of listings of N95 respirator masks on Amazon either back order, or recent listings with obscene prices.
You aren't one of the guys I'm betting against on Ebay are you? :whistle:
Go Black Bears!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

mainejeff wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:21 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:14 pm A lot of listings of N95 respirator masks on Amazon either back order, or recent listings with obscene prices.
You aren't one of the guys I'm betting against on Ebay are you? :whistle:
Nope. I already have a few N95s (effectiveness is limited). I just looked out of curiousity.

While the market has been a bloodbath the last couple days, but I would think the stock of any public companies that primarily make medical or prepper supplies would be doing well.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

93henfan wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:01 pm I was the officer handling American citizens services in Nigeria. Aside from prepping for a possible evac, I was handling the next of kin, estate, and remains of the victim. I had a lot of CDC contact and support during that period.

Well shit, that explains why you know everything! Holiday Inn Express had nothing to do with it.
I ask questions, I listen, and I learn constantly

And I’m lucky enough to spend lots of time with experts in certain fields

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

A Korean Airlines flight crew member is positive, and so is a US soldier in Korea

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Loaded up on these, among other items, earlier in the month. :ugeek:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:35 pm A Korean Airlines flight crew member is positive, and so is a US soldier in Korea

viewtopic.php?p=1293737#p1293737
Same one reported yesterday, or another one? Ultimately, doesn't matter. An international flight crew member getting it has to be about the worst possible scenario. How many passengers would have been on that crew member's recent flights, in what is basically a tightly confined metal tube, for hours? Then how many different crew members would that infected crew crew member have recently flown with, and how many people would have been on all of their flights? Like I said last night, the S Koreans probably lost all containment there.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

BDKJMU wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:35 pm A Korean Airlines flight crew member is positive, and so is a US soldier in Korea

viewtopic.php?p=1293737#p1293737
Same one reported yesterday, or another one? Ultimately, doesn't matter. An international flight crew member getting it has to be about the worst possible scenario. How many passengers would have been on that crew member's recent flights, in what is basically a tightly confined metal tube, for hours? Then how many different crew members would that infected crew crew member have recently flown with, and how many people would have been on all of their flights? Like I said last night, the S Koreans probably lost all containment there.
I guess it depends on if the crew member was contagious while working. But if there’s one, there are more.

I think containment on this was lost several weeks ago because everybody was using quarantine protocols tailored to SARS, and nobody expected the differences in transmissibility

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

And she worked flights from Seoul to LA..
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coron ... r-BB10pID4
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CID1990 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:34 pm
93henfan wrote:
I ask questions, I listen, and I learn constantly

Not salty; just thankful we have our own expert on all subjects here in case any more questions come up!
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

93henfan wrote:
CID1990 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:34 pm I ask questions, I listen, and I learn constantly

Not salty; just thankful we have our own expert on all subjects here in case any more questions come up!
OK now my pecker is out

I’ve been the recipient of 5000 opinions on this for the last 3 weeks

Forgive me if I share the most credible ones here

You’re in danger of me bringing my slapjack to Sambos next tine, just sayin