Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Football Championship Subdivision discussions
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote: :lol: :lol:
I don't think that makes any difference with Alabama. Maybe all the OTHER schools, but they've been head and shoulders above every other FBS team for a decade now.
So you don't think they make fewer championship games if they had to win 2-3 games to get there instead of one?
Nope. Not in recent years...they've beaten everyone (including the other supposed best teams) that's been put in front of them, for the most part. I don't need to see them abuse WSU or UT in the first round, and then pummel Ohio State in the 2nd round to get to the final four.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:
kalm wrote:
The MVFC has had 4 teams in the semi’s and one in the finals not named NDSU in the last 5 years....silly hen. :lol:
2 in the finals, Illinois St and Youngstown St.
Thanks for the correction, Gil...I don't want to play loose with the stats. I'm not a UD fan. :oops:
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Gil Dobie wrote:
Pwns wrote:Take Nick Saban out of Alabama, Alabama becomes what LSU or Florida is now.

But NDSU had a 3-peat with a coach on a 43-2 run who is 28-35 at Wyoming, and then Chris Klieman takes over and is 68-6 and counting, which means he has the highest winning percentage of any current DI coach and any of the all-time great FCS coaches.

Alabama isn't on the cusp of 7 national championships in 8 years, either. Alabama has 5 of the last 9.
It's a UNI thing. Our S&C coach was at UNI until 2003, and Klieman was a DC at UNI until 2011, and current New HC was a DC at UNI, along with our OC who played at UNI. Now you know the rest of the story for UNI.
Yet you never took Farley. :ohno: :ohno:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

So the CAAnt is down, the SnOwcONe is way down and the rest of FCS is different but somewhere between fine and thriving. We have bitter BlueHen fans pining for the old days when they were relevant and GATA Eagles poking their heads in and hoping that FCS hasn't recovered from losing them because it helps with their self esteem issues.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote:We have bitter BlueHen fans pining for the old days when they were relevant and GATA Eagles poking their heads in and hoping that FCS hasn't recovered from losing them because it helps with their self esteem issues.
And Clenz and Jon and Silenoz... they just saw that kalm and Gil, the two poster childs for the other side and who just happen to be fans of the teams in the final (more damning than us being Delaware fans), weren't going to give up the stupid contention that it doesn't matter if you take out 2, 3, 4 of the teams in the top 15 of the division that it won't be weaker. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
UNI88 wrote:We have bitter BlueHen fans pining for the old days when they were relevant and GATA Eagles poking their heads in and hoping that FCS hasn't recovered from losing them because it helps with their self esteem issues.
And Clenz and Jon and Silenoz... they just saw that kalm and Gil, the two poster childs for the other side and who just happen to be fans of the teams in the final (more damning than us being Delaware fans), weren't going to give up the stupid contention that it doesn't matter if you take out 2, 3, 4 of the teams in the top 15 of the division that it won't be weaker. :coffee:
That wasn’t what either of us was arguing but you can keep trying. Might I suggest pulling a post or two completely out of context to prove your point? I’ve heard it works.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Is this out of context Kalm?
Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote:You and kalm trying to use outliers to combat the notion that if you take the top teams out of a division, the division becomes weaker. I honestly can't believe you're trying to refute that. :|
Not really, 20 schools have moved up from FCS to FBS. Only 3 of them had double digit playoff appearances, GSU and App St. recently and Idaho moved back to FCS. Sure GSU and App St were good, but it's next man up in FCS, their shoes have been filled.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

kalm wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:I might do more of this kind of thing later but for now just a quick check.

The earliest set of Sagarin ratings I can get to is for 1998. In the context of the overall Division I final rankings then the top 5 I-AA teams were rated 64, 65, 66, 79, and 88.

As of now in 2018 the top 5 FCS (I-AA) teams are rated 24, 58, 73, 79, and 90.

Obviously North Dakota State is the 24. But, at least according to Sagarin, I'm not seeing a big difference between 2 through 5 in 1998 and 2 through 5 in 2018 in terms of how the top I-AA/FCS teams rank in the overall Division I context.
Rut roh!!!!
Not sure Jon is in the bitter root club.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Maybe it's not that the ECB is down, but too many coaches that belong in FBS. Below is an interview with a former Bison player, telling what it was like to play P5 schools under Klieman.

Well, I’d tell people who don’t think he can coach Power 5 to check his resume. Whether he was the defensive coordinator or head coach, every time he’s played a Power 5 at NDSU, he’s won. And after that, I’d say that the guy is just a football genius. I’ve witnessed him outsmart many coaches, and I’ve seen some of the schemes coaches run at Power 5 schools, and some of them are garbage; their athletes save them half the time from looking stupid. So when you give him these Power 5 athletes with his knowledge of the game, watch out.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Hahaha this thread is still going.

So much butthurt.

What do I win?
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote:Hahaha this thread is still going.

So much butthurt.

What do I win?
I’m sending you a 2010 National Champions T-shirt, a Bo Levi Mitchell refidgerator magnate, and some canned Dungeness crab.

Pm me your addy.

Gil?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

AmsterBison posted this on AGS

Since NDSU started playing a DI schedule in 2005, the FCS has 28 wins against P5 programs. From 1978-2004, the FCS had 12 wins vs P5 teams.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Gil Dobie wrote:AmsterBison posted this on AGS

Since NDSU started playing a DI schedule in 2005, the FCS has 28 wins against P5 programs. From 1978-2004, the FCS had 12 wins vs P5 teams.
And?

I'm also pretty sure that stat is wrong anyway. I-AA had 16 wins over P5 teams just from 1978 to 1985 alone. Amster needs to check his numbers.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Re: RE: Re: Is FCS (Beside NDSU) Really This Bad?

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

93henfan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:the Big Sky is absolutely flourishing right now

It is? I watched a few games on Root Sports on Dish Network this year and I wasn't very impressed.

None of those teams can compete with NDSU (i.e. the subject of the thread).

I mean, NDSU took it easy on Mt St yesterday and still won by 42. Image
Zang should stick to guitar and liberalism because he has no clue about football.

BSC is pure shit even the occasional team that is "good" gets fucking housed on the national stage.

You have Weber and Cal Davis then Eastern and 34 other teams that can barely get to. . 500

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Gil Dobie wrote:
89Hen wrote: You mean back when I-AA wasn't as strong overall? Check.
FCS - NDSU in 6 of the last 9 championship games, 7 out of 10 including this year.
FBS - Alabama in 6 of the last 9 championship games, TBD

Is FBS down too?
FBS doesn't have a legitimate playoff system so that comparison is moot

ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

kalm wrote:
93henfan wrote:
We did explain it, 800 times. The tide is way, way out right now, with the exception of NDSU.

So back to the thread title. Again. Yes, FCS beside NDSU really is this bad.
Yeah...you're a real JSO when it comes to this.
No..... 93 is right

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

89Hen wrote:

And?

I'm also pretty sure that stat is wrong anyway. I-AA had 16 wins over P5 teams just from 1978 to 1985 alone. Amster needs to check his numbers.
P5 programs are watered down since then as well. Way more scholarships spread among the 130 FBS programs in 2018 than the 104 I-A programs in the late 80s/early 90s.

Not to mention the current 125 FCS teams compared to just 88 I-AA teams in 1988. And among those 88 teams in 1988 were Boise State, App State, Georgia Southern, Marshall, Western Kentucky, etc.

I mean, there's no question that talent is spread much thinner now, particularly in FCS. All this while many school districts in hotbeds like New Jersey are having to consolidate high schools to field a team. Per capita, way less children are choosing to play football.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:
93henfan wrote:

It is? I watched a few games on Root Sports on Dish Network this year and I wasn't very impressed.

None of those teams can compete with NDSU (i.e. the subject of the thread).

I mean, NDSU took it easy on Mt St yesterday and still won by 42. Image
Zang should stick to guitar and liberalism because he has no clue about football.

BSC is pure shit even the occasional team that is "good" gets fucking housed on the national stage.

You have Weber and Cal Davis then Eastern and 34 other teams that can barely get to. . 500

:lol:

NDSU, JMU, Maine, Nicholls, and UNI fans disagree.

Well at least the reasonable ones.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

93henfan wrote:
89Hen wrote: And?

P5 programs are watered down since then as well. Way more scholarships spread among the 130 FBS programs in 2018 than the 104 I-A programs in the late 80s/early 90s.

Not to mention the current 125 FCS teams compared to just 88 I-AA teams in 1988. And among those 88 teams in 1988 were Boise State, App State, Georgia Southern, Marshall, Western Kentucky, etc.

I mean, there's no question that talent is spread much thinner now, particularly in FCS. All this while many school districts in hotbeds like New Jersey are having to consolidate high schools to field a team. Per capita, way less children are choosing to play football.
But the athletes are better and I’m not so sure the distribution of talent has changed either. FCS schools have improved training facilities, are recognizing the importance of strength and conditioning coaches and programs, and media attention has increased. 15 years ago, EWU didn’t have an NFL liaison position and we weren’t winning recruiting battles against the MWC and PAC 12.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

kalm wrote:
93henfan wrote:

But the athletes are better and I’m not so sure the distribution of talent has changed either. FCS schools have improved training facilities, are recognizing the importance of strength and conditioning coaches and programs, and media attention has increased. 15 years ago, EWU didn’t have an NFL liaison position and we weren’t winning recruiting battles against the MWC and PAC 12.
Bad example. Delaware was notorious for stealing I-A recruits from Penn State, Rutgers, and Temple back in the day, and of course we have MANY NFL stars including a couple of MVP QBs. I'm sure Boise St, Idaho (yes they were actually good once), and Montana wers stealing recruits from I-A in your region back then.
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

kalm wrote:
93henfan wrote:

It has been a long time since I was in school, so names are escaping me, but all I can think about is this business concept where an advancement comes along, and everyone has to incorporate it, and they do, so no one gains an advantage over everyone else, and in fact everyone actually loses because they no have one more cost, or thing they need to do.

The talent is better, but there are more schools, recruiting harder, longer, and better. So even if you are now fielding a better class of athletes on paper, you are spending more money and energy to be further behind. Something like that anyways.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Silenoz wrote:
kalm wrote:
It has been a long time since I was in school, so names are escaping me, but all I can think about is this business concept where an advancement comes along, and everyone has to incorporate it, and they do, so no one gains an advantage over everyone else, and in fact everyone actually loses because they no have one more cost, or thing they need to do.

The talent is better, but there are more schools, recruiting harder, longer, and better. So even if you are now fielding a better class of athletes on paper, you are spending more money and energy to be further behind. Something like that anyways.

Something like that anyways.
Somebody is hitting the bottle early today. :kisswink:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

89Hen wrote:

And?

P5? Or all of FBS?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

89Hen wrote:
Silenoz wrote:

Something like that anyways.
Somebody is hitting the bottle early today. :kisswink:
Close, I was up all night so it is very likely that what I just wrote is incoherent rambling

Would you argue that Delaware is fielding a team of bigger better athletes than they were in 2003, and yet you immeasurably worse as a program?

Or maybe you aren't, fuck if I know who played on your old teams. Maybe Delaware and UM are exceptions to the rule. But I do believe that statement is true for almost every program.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote:

And?

Are you sure?