2023 WNFC Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

2023 WNFC Season

Post by SuperHornet »

I drove from Twentynine Palms to San Diego to see Utah's last-minute win. Utah initially dominated, opening a 14-0 first-half lead behind the leadership of quarterback Sara Galica, who hit a 55-yard slant route to open scoring, then punched in a quarterback sneak on fourth and goal from the San Diego one. San Diego quarterback Knengi Martin had problems early, as her first pass went straight into the hands of Utah's middle linebacker. But momentum significantly shifted with less than a minute left in the first half when Martin hit her best receiver on a fade to the right corner, and then converted a surprise onside kick before turning the ball over just before the half. San Diego momentum continued through the third quarter, as the Rebellion held the ball for nearly the entire period after a fake punt that should have been called back for a block in the back by their left gunner. San Diego took the lead 21-14 in the fourth quarter before Galica's strong leadership (and her incredible triple option reads out of Utah's base Jet Double Wing set) pushed the Falconz over the goal line with an overtaking touchdown and two-point conversion with 2:40 left. But it's never over when the Rebellion has Martin, who has been dominating women's football almost single-handedly for more than ten years. Sakura "Saks" Roberson, her best receiver, got open by a mile on a post route with less than a minute left on 4th and 20, but dropped the ball. Utah then ran out the clock. Also assisting San Diego was their incredibly fast scatback Adriana Gutierrez, who was constantly gashing the Falconz defense both up the middle and outside; she even opened the second half with a partial series in the Wildcat.

Utah has a bye next week before closing out the six-game season at home against Denver. San Diego, meanwhile, plays catchup on games as they host Los Angeles next week before ending the regular season at Oregon.

I have no idea what the playoff format is; the WNFC doesn't seem to have posted it. Presumably, all three division champions will make the playoffs, leading up to the IX Cup (so named in honor of Title IX) in the middle of June. The Central and Pacific Divisions have been decided, as Utah has swept San Diego and shut out Las Vegas, while Texas blew out Mississippi to open the season. I anticipate that Utah will get the 1 seed as they have played more teams in amassing an undefeated record, but who knows? The Atlantic Division is still in play, as Atlanta plays Washington next week, likely for all the marbles, as both play one-win teams to close the season in two weeks. If the WNFC opts to have one wild card, it will likely be Mississippi, as they should finish 5-1, and Washington has to face Atlanta. The Championship race looks like it will be interesting....

2023 WNFC Standings

Atlantic Division

Atlanta Phoenix 3-1 3-0
Washington Prodigy 3-1 3-1
Tennessee Trojans 1-3 1-3
Philly Phantomz 1-4 1-4

Central Division

Texas Elite Spartans 5-0 5-0
Mississippi Panthers 4-1 3-1
Houston Mambas 2-3 2-3
Denver Bandits 2-3 2-3
Kansas City Glory 2-3 2-3

Pacific Division

Utah Falconz 5-0 5-0
Las Vegas Silver Stars 3-2 3-2
San Diego Rebellion 2-2 2-2
Oregon Ravens 1-3 1-3
Los Angeles Legends 1-3 1-3
Seattle Majestics 1-4 1-4

Week 6 Results (06 MAY 23)

Mississippi d. Atlanta 7-6
Texas d. Denver 34-6
Los Angeles d. Seattle 42-25
Utah d. San Diego 22-21
Las Vegas d. Oregon 26-0
Houston d. Kansas City 14-8
Philly d. Tennessee 22-7
Washington BYE
Florida BYE

Week 7 Games (13 MAY 23)

Atlanta at Washington
Houston at Tennessee
Philly at Mississippi
Texas at Kansas City
Los Angeles at San Diego
Seattle at Oregon
Denver BYE
Las Vegas BYE
Utah BYE
Florida BYE

Week 8 Games (20 MAY 23)

Florida at Atlanta
Tennessee at Washington
Denver at Utah
San Diego at Oregon
Las Vegas at Los Angeles
Seattle BYE
Houston BYE
Kansas City BYE
Mississippi BYE
Texas BYE
Philly BYE
END OF REGULAR SEASON

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: 2023 WNFC Season

Post by dbackjon »

Where are the Sirens?
:thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

The Sirens are in a different league. They only play four games this year against teams in SoCal and Houston (though for months due to the name, I thought the Houston team was based in AZ). That league hasn't provided any game info whatsoever. All I know for sure is that the Sirens lost the season opener to the SoCal team, and has already completed their season, or have a rematch against the SoCal team on MON 22 MAY. The SoCal team mentioned this in an article covering their win at Sac, making a big deal about how there's never been a Monday night women's game ANYWHERE, making this one the first. I'm trying to get confirmation because I'm NOT about to drive three hours to a no-game again. That happened in FEB when I went to a D-II softball game featuring the daughter of a high school friend that was apparently rained out without any notice other than a FB post by the host school. There weren't even any signs posted at the game site. Yet there was a rugby tournament going on at multiple sites at the school. I guess that's why CS-Dominguez Hills is D-II.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Now caught up with last week's games. The scores are coming a little slow, but I heard that Utah closed their regular season with a win over Denver this afternoon, but I haven't seen a score.

2023 WNFC Standings

Atlantic Division

Atlanta Phoenix 4-1 4-0
Washington Prodigy 3-2 3-2
Tennessee Trojans 1-4 1-3
Philly Phantomz 1-5 1-4

Central Division

Texas Elite Spartans 6-0 6-0
Mississippi Panthers 5-1 3-1
Houston Mambas 3-3 2-3
Denver Bandits 2-3 2-3
Kansas City Glory 2-4 2-4

Pacific Division

Utah Falconz 5-0 5-0
Las Vegas Silver Stars 3-2 3-2
San Diego Rebellion 3-2 3-2
Oregon Ravens 2-3 2-3
Los Angeles Legends 1-4 1-4
Seattle Majestics 1-5 1-5

Week 7 Games (13 MAY 23)

Atlanta d. Washington 20-6
Houston d. Tennessee 22-3
Mississippi d. Philly 47-20
Texas d. Kansas City 56-0
San Diego d. Los Angeles 42-6
Oregon d. Seattle 14-7
Denver BYE
Las Vegas BYE
Utah BYE
Florida BYE

Week 8 Games (20 MAY 23)

Florida at Atlanta
Tennessee at Washington
Denver at Utah
San Diego at Oregon
Las Vegas at Los Angeles
Seattle BYE
Houston BYE
Kansas City BYE
Mississippi BYE
Texas BYE
Philly BYE
END OF REGULAR SEASON

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

The playoff selection show will air via FB Live 1700 MON 22 MAY 23. I'm not sure how they're going to work this out, since they reference Eastern and Western Conferences with four seeds each, but there are only three divisions.

EDIT: The selection process has been published. It's complicated, but here it is:

1. The top two teams in each division get auto-bids. That means Atlanta and Washington are likely in from the Atlantic Division, Texas and Mississippi are definitely in from the Central Division, and Utah and San Diego are definitely in from the Pacific Division.

2. Utah and San Diego will compete in the Pacific Conference playoffs. Atlanta and Washington (if, indeed, it is them) will compete in the Eastern Conference playoffs. The top team in the Central Division will compete in the Pacific Conference playoffs, while the second team will go to the Eastern Conference playoffs.

4. There will be a season-ending poll. Seventh and eighth place in that poll will gain entry, and will participate in the conference closest to their geography.

5. The conference playoffs will consist of podded tournaments (like the regions in NCAA sports tournaments). Utah will host the Pacific Conference tournament at Salt Lake City (UT)-Skyline HS, while Atlanta will host the Eastern Conference tournament at Decatur (GA) HS.

6. The schedule will be the same in each location:

#2 vs. #3 1500 local THU 08 JUN 23
#1 vs. #4 1900 local THU 08 JUN 23

2-3 winner vs. 1-4 winner 1900 local SAT 10 JUN 23

7. The Conference Champions will face off at the IX Cup 1800 local SUN 25 JUN 23 at The Star, Frisco, TX.

8. Tickets:

All-Access Pass: $135
(Includes SAT 24 JUN 23 SAT JUN 24 HER Game. Flag Football Showcase (Adults) - Ford Center - 1200 WNFC Football Fan Fest - Ford Center - 1700 Celebrity Flag Football Game - Ford Center - 1800 (Includes Field Pass) Commissioners IX Cup Social - Omni - 2200; SUN 25 JUN 23 Championship Breakfast & Awards - Omni - 0830 adidas Varsity Girls Flag Games - Ford Center - 1100 WNFC adidas All-Pro game - Ford Center - 1400 WNFC IX Cup Championship 1800)

Commissioner's IX Cup Social: $35
(SAT 24 JUN 23 2200 at the Omni at the Star - Frisco, TX: Join the Commissioner of the WNFC, Janice Masters, and celebrity friends, for a IX Cup kick-off party!)

Championship Breakfast: $65
(SUN 25 JUN 23 0800 at the OMNI at The Star, Frisco, TX: The WNFC Championship Breakfast continues to be one of the most popular events of IX CUP Weekend. The event sells out every year! The breakfast will highlight a roundtable of professional sports alumni, sports and media executives, and league sponsors, discussing the growth and development of women and girls in sports. In addition, all WNFC 2023 League Award Winners are announced.)

WNFC Football Fan Fest: FREE
(SAT 24 JUN 23 1700: Fans of all ages will head to the Ford Center at The Star for an interactive fan experience! IX CUP Fan Fest is a family-friendly event that will include activities, a DJ, celebrity guest appearances, player autograph signings & interviews, sponsor booths, and exhibits celebrating women’s football and its history. Gather your crew and Bring the City Out For HER!)

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

2023 WNFC Final Standings

Atlantic Division

Atlanta Phoenix 5-1 5-0
Washington Prodigy 4-2 4-2
Philly Phantomz 1-5 1-4
Tennessee Trojans 1-5 1-4
Florida Avengers 1-5 1-5

Central Division

Texas Elite Spartans 6-0 6-0
Mississippi Panthers 5-1 3-1
Houston Mambas 3-3 2-3
Denver Bandits 2-4 2-3
Kansas City Glory 2-4 2-4

Pacific Division

Utah Falconz 6-0 6-0
San Diego Rebellion 4-2 4-2
Las Vegas Silver Stars 3-3 3-3
Oregon Ravens 2-4 2-4
Los Angeles Legends 2-4 2-4
Seattle Majestics 1-5 1-5

Week 8 Results (20 MAY 23)

Atlanta d. Florida 62-0
Washington d. Tennessee 48-0
Utah d. Denver 40-29
San Diego d. Oregon 56-0
Los Angeles d. Las Vegas 8-6
Seattle BYE
Houston BYE
Kansas City BYE
Mississippi BYE
Texas BYE
Philly BYE
END OF REGULAR SEASON

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I'm not sure how a sub-.500 team gets into the playoffs at the expense of a .500 team, but that's what was announced today.

First Round

WNFC Western Conference
at Salt Lake City (UT)-Skyline HS
THU 08 JUN 23

2 Utah Falconz (6-0, 5-0 Pacific Division) vs. 3 San Diego Rebellion (4-2, 4-2 Pacific Division) 1400 PST

1 Texas Elite Spartans (6-0, 6-0 Central Division) vs. 4 Denver Bandits (2-4, 2-3 Central Division) 1800 PST

WNFC Eastern Conference
at Decatur (GA) HS
THU 08 JUN 23

2 Atlanta Phoenix (5-1, 5-0 Atlantic Division) vs. 3 Washington Prodigy (4-2, 4-2 Atlantic Division) 1200 PST

1 Mississippi Panthers (5-1, 3-1 Central Division) vs. 4 Houston Mambas (3-3, 2-3 Central Division) 1600 PST

Conference Finals

WNFC Western Conference
SAT 10 JUN 23

UT-SD winner vs. TX-DEN winner 1700 PST

WNFC Eastern Conference
at Decatur (GA) HS
SAT 10 JUN 23

ATL-WAS winner vs. MS-HOU winner 1600 PST

IX Cup
at The Star, Frisco, TX
SUN 25 JUN 23

Western Conference Champion vs. Eastern Conference Champion 1600 PST

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Utah is done thanks to losing their quarterback to a broken collarbone during the regular season finale.

:crybaby:

First Round

WNFC Western Conference
THU 08 JUN 23

3 San Diego Rebellion (5-2, 4-2 Pacific Division) d. 2 Utah Falconz (6-1, 5-0 Pacific Division) 48-20

1 Texas Elite Spartans (7-0, 6-0 Central Division) d. 4 Denver Bandits (2-5, 2-3 Central Division) 34-7

WNFC Eastern Conference
at Decatur (GA) HS
THU 08 JUN 23

3 Washington Prodigy (5-2, 4-2 Atlantic Division) d. 2 Atlanta Phoenix (5-2, 5-0 Atlantic Division) 12-7

1 Mississippi Panthers (6-1, 3-1 Central Division) d. 4 Houston Mambas (3-4, 2-3 Central Division) 23-7

Conference Finals

WNFC Western Conference
SAT 10 JUN 23

3 San Diego Rebellion (5-2, 4-2 Pacific Division) vs. 1 Texas Elite Spartans (7-0, 6-0 Central Division) 1700 PST

WNFC Eastern Conference
at Decatur (GA) HS
SAT 10 JUN 23

3 Washington Prodigy (5-2, 4-2 Atlantic Division) vs. 1 Mississippi Panthers (6-1, 3-1 Central Division) 1600 PST

IX Cup
at The Star, Frisco, TX
SUN 25 JUN 23

Western Conference Champion vs. Eastern Conference Champion 1600 PST

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I've heard that there has been some wildly inconsistent officiating during these podded playoff tournaments, like three defenders in the neutral zone, but false start is called; penalties being marched off without being announced; and one zebra telling a team one thing (like you can call a time out to change out your quarterback), but then another says you CAN'T...AFTER you already called the time out, so you lose the time out for NOTHING. SMH....

Conference Finals

WNFC Western Conference
SAT 10 JUN 23

1 Texas Elite Spartans (8-0, 6-0 Central Division) d. 3 San Diego Rebellion (5-3, 4-2 Pacific Division) 34-6

WNFC Eastern Conference
at Decatur (GA) HS
SAT 10 JUN 23

1 Mississippi Panthers (7-1, 3-1 Central Division) d. 3 Washington Prodigy (5-3, 4-2 Atlantic Division) 46-26

IX Cup
at The Star (Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters), Frisco, TX
SUN 25 JUN 23
1100 PDT

1 Texas Elite Spartans (8-0, 6-0 Central Division) vs. 1 Mississippi Panthers (7-1, 3-1 Central Division)

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

IX Cup
at The Star (Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters), Frisco, TX
SUN 25 JUN 23
1100 PDT

1 Texas Elite Spartans (9-0, 6-0 Central Division) d. 1 Mississippi Panthers (7-2, 3-1 Central Division) 49-7