Super Bowl 57

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Super Bowl 57

Post by BDKJMU »

Looks like the NFL wanted the Chiefs to win. Didn’t they get 5 downs on one of their drives in the championship game, and some other dubious calls (didn’t watch that game but that’s what I heard)? And now the below game deciding blown call. How else do you explain the top football officials in the world botching the below that badly? Some FCS level officiating right there.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/vi ... r-AA17ppgL
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: Super Bowl 57

Post by SuperHornet »

Not true. For most of the game, that biased jerk Carl Cheffers tried to hand it to Philly on a silver platter. Goeddert bobbled the ball out of bounds, but they gave it to him. That reasoning for reversing the second KC scoop and score was bogus. The dude made a football move and let it go.

KC won this game all on their own....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Eagles fans BEFORE the game. Car must have had Missouri plates...
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:57 pm Not true. For most of the game, that biased jerk Carl Cheffers tried to hand it to Philly on a silver platter. Goeddert bobbled the ball out of bounds, but they gave it to him. That reasoning for reversing the second KC scoop and score was bogus. The dude made a football move and let it go.

Not a Philly fan, but it looked like a catch and both feet in bounds.

Philly turnover and KC punt return was the difference in the game.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:39 am
SuperHornet wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:57 pm Not true. For most of the game, that biased jerk Carl Cheffers tried to hand it to Philly on a silver platter. Goeddert bobbled the ball out of bounds, but they gave it to him. That reasoning for reversing the second KC scoop and score was bogus. The dude made a football move and let it go.

Agreed, hard to overcome a turnover TD and essentially a special teams TD.

And while the defensive holding call at the end wasn't fully responsible for the outcome of the game, it's a brutally bad call that should be castigated. There wasn't a single defensive holding call in the game up to that point, and there were ample examples of worse defensive holdings that weren't called throughout the game. You can't establish that level of officiating, and then change it in the last two minutes. If that's a defensive holding that gets flagged, then you need to be flagging a lot more along the way. Like I said, maybe the outcome is the same, but we were denied the opportunity to see a real classic ending to what had been a really classic game up to that point. Based on the game up to that point, that flag can't come out for that play.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:12 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:39 am

And while the defensive holding call at the end wasn't fully responsible for the outcome of the game, it's a brutally bad call that should be castigated. There wasn't a single defensive holding call in the game up to that point, and there were ample examples of worse defensive holdings that weren't called throughout the game. You can't establish that level of officiating, and then change it in the last two minutes. If that's a defensive holding that gets flagged, then you need to be flagging a lot more along the way. Like I said, maybe the outcome is the same, but we were denied the opportunity to see a real classic ending to what had been a really classic game up to that point. Based on the game up to that point, that flag can't come out for that play.
It’s a call that happens often throughout the season. It was a timing route, Mahomes knew it (maybe even saw the hold), and made what looked like an overthrow but was to an end zone corner spot. He immediately pointed at the hold. No one would have bitched much if it hadn’t been called but it was there.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:23 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:12 am

It’s a call that happens often throughout the season. It was a timing route, Mahomes knew it (maybe even saw the hold), and made what looked like an overthrow but was to an end zone corner spot. He immediately pointed at the hold. No one would have bitched much if it hadn’t been called but it was there.
Mahomes never saw it, look at the replay again, he's looking at the other side of the field when the hold, for what it was, happens. WR wasn't even the primary guy on that play.

Like I said, if they called that all game long there's no beef with it. But there were at least double digit defensive holds worse than in this game alone that that didn't get called, so to suddenly call that one at the end is the bad officiating part of it. It's like not giving a high strike all game long in baseball and then in the bottom of the 9th opening up the strike zone and calling it.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:47 am
kalm wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:23 am

Mahomes never saw it, look at the replay again, he's looking at the other side of the field when the hold, for what it was, happens. WR wasn't even the primary guy on that play.

Like I said, if they called that all game long there's no beef with it. But there were at least double digit defensive holds worse than in this game alone that that didn't get called, so to suddenly call that one at the end is the bad officiating part of it. It's like not giving a high strike all game long in baseball and then in the bottom of the 9th opening up the strike zone and calling it.
We’re both speculating. Just watched the video again. Mahomes could definitely see him. His head panned to the middle for just a second but was mostly oriented left and who knows where his eyes are. Mahomes was clapping at the call immediately.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:12 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:47 am

We’re both speculating. Just watched the video again. Mahomes could definitely see him. His head panned to the middle for just a second but was mostly oriented left and who knows where his eyes are. Mahomes was clapping at the call immediately.
Like I said, watch the replay, the hold happened pretty much at the snap at the line of scrimmage. Mahomes was looking to the right of the field when that happened. And QB's clap at lots of stuff immediately, especially with their coaching staffs and sidelines doing the same. Interesting the WR who was held wasn't part of that group. Like I said, DB's and WR's knew what was being called and what wasn't being called all game. That last flag was an aberration compared to the decisions not to flag that came before it. Can't get around that aspect of it.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:30 am
kalm wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:12 am

Like I said, watch the replay, the hold happened pretty much at the snap at the line of scrimmage. Mahomes was looking to the right of the field when that happened. And QB's clap at lots of stuff immediately, especially with their coaching staffs and sidelines doing the same. Interesting the WR who was held wasn't part of that group. Like I said, DB's and WR's knew what was being called and what wasn't being called all game. That last flag was an aberration compared to the decisions not to flag that came before it. Can't get around that aspect of it.
The DB made contact twice on the route. Off the snap and then again as the WR made his 2nd move. Could have been no calls but still nothing egregious. Mahomes never looked any more right than middle of the field for a brief check and then back left.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:41 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:30 am

The DB made contact twice on the route. Off the snap and then again as the WR made his 2nd move. Could have been no calls but still nothing egregious. Mahomes never looked any more right than middle of the field for a brief check and then back left.
And again, there were plenty of defensive holding calls worse than that that didn't get a flag during the game up until that point. That's the big point here. No one really complains when officiating is consistent. It's when it's not that complaints arise. And again, it may not have changed the outcome. But it did cut off any possibility that we could have any outcome other than the one we did.

To the Eagles credit, everyone who really complained about the call tended to be people with no rooting interest for the Eagles. The Eagles rightfully pointed to all the plays that came before it. But we as fans get to have the luxury of pointing out officiating mistakes, even if the NFL would like to just pretend there wasn't any controversy.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Philly got away with a lot of defensive holding that SHOULD have been called. Don't cry that you didn't get away with penalties everytime.
:thumb:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:22 am Philly got away with a lot of defensive holding that SHOULD have been called. Don't cry that you didn't get away with penalties everytime.
Call it consistently, both ways, all game, that's all that anyone ever asks for. Would've been easier to stomach the last defensive holding if there was a single defensive holding called in the prior 58 minutes. As you say, plenty of opportunities to call similar penalties before then.

I mean, at least then we could forget about that last call and instead focus on the abomination that was that Arizona grass. Two years of planning and growing and it was just an absolute disaster. Pretty sure both teams agreed on that. :thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:57 am
dbackjon wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:22 am Philly got away with a lot of defensive holding that SHOULD have been called. Don't cry that you didn't get away with penalties everytime.
Call it consistently, both ways, all game, that's all that anyone ever asks for. Would've been easier to stomach the last defensive holding if there was a single defensive holding called in the prior 58 minutes. As you say, plenty of opportunities to call similar penalties before then.

I mean, at least then we could forget about that last call and instead focus on the abomination that was that Arizona grass. Two years of planning and growing and it was just an absolute disaster. Pretty sure both teams agreed on that. :thumb:
Blame the NFL for the Grass. They are 100% in charge of the playing surface. The NFL began growing the turf 18 months ago, using their own grounds crew. Arizona had zero to do with the grass.
:thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Good slo-mo if the hold.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:26 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:57 am

Blame the NFL for the Grass. They are 100% in charge of the playing surface. The NFL began growing the turf 18 months ago, using their own grounds crew. Arizona had zero to do with the grass.
Well, they were trying to improve what has long been considered one of the worst playing surfaces in the league. I mean, this was a two year exercise only because they couldn't use what's normally there.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:48 am Good slo-mo if the hold.

Awesome. Now show me the other ten defensive holds that looked like that, some less, some more, that weren't called in the first 58 minutes. No one is arguing that you couldn't call that a hold. The argument is that plays like that or worse weren't flagged in the same game up until that point.

You do realize we're not talking about the weak defensive holding call late in the game from the Super Bowl before this one, right? No need to try to defend the call because Kupp was involved, that was last year's referee intrusion. :coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:55 am
kalm wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:48 am Good slo-mo if the hold.

Awesome. Now show me the other ten defensive holds that looked like that, some less, some more, that weren't called in the first 58 minutes. No one is arguing that you couldn't call that a hold. The argument is that plays like that or worse weren't flagged in the same game up until that point.

You do realize we're not talking about the weak defensive holding call late in the game from the Super Bowl before this one, right? No need to try to defend the call because Kupp was involved, that was last year's referee intrusion. :coffee:
So at what point should they not call things?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:01 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:55 am

Again, not a hard concept being discussed here, try to stay with us. If it's a penalty in the first half, then it's a penalty in the second half or at the end of the game. If you haven't been calling similar plays penalties earlier in the game, you don't change your officiating later in the game. I don't think this is even controversial - there's plenty of consensus that the play was defensive holding, but that the refs hadn't called it during the game so tightening up their calls in crunch time was the wrong decision.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:08 pm
kalm wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:01 pm

Again, not a hard concept being discussed here, try to stay with us. If it's a penalty in the first half, then it's a penalty in the second half or at the end of the game. If you haven't been calling similar plays penalties earlier in the game, you don't change your officiating later in the game. I don't think this is even controversial - there's plenty of consensus that the play was defensive holding, but that the refs hadn't called it during the game so tightening up their calls in crunch time was the wrong decision.
Right. So no PI called (no matter what) after what point in the game?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:25 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:08 pm

You're just being obtuse and you know it. There's no point in the game where you change what you call, no matter how much time is left. A penalty in the first minute of the game, if you call it, is a penalty at the end of the game as well. The opposite of that, what isn't a penalty, is true as well.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:28 pm

You're just being obtuse and you know it. There's no point in the game where you change what you call, no matter how much time is left. A penalty in the first minute of the game, if you call it, is a penalty at the end of the game as well. The opposite of that, what isn't a penalty, is true as well.
It’s a philosophical question about a “brutally bad call”.

It’s subjective.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Super Bowl 57

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote:

I’m a Chiefs I’m a Chiefs fan and agree with Ganny. It wasn’t “brutally bad” but it should be called consistently throughout the game.

If the Chiefs had lost, I’d be calling out the questionable calls that went the Eagles way and there were plenty. The officiating was inconsistent and impacted both teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Kind of tame compared to after the Eagles won the 2017 Super Bowl. Maybe Eagles fans riot more in victory than defeat..
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -cops.html
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

That punt return was huge, but the return man better not show up to film review after he almost got decleated at the five yard line by the punter.

:rofl:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.