Super Bowl 57

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: Super Bowl 57

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:17 pm That punt return was huge, but the return man better not show up to film review after he almost got decleated at the five yard line by the punter.

:rofl:
The Eagles punter was an ex-Australian Rules player. I believe he knows how to tackle. No shame there.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:59 am
SuperHornet wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:17 pm That punt return was huge, but the return man better not show up to film review after he almost got decleated at the five yard line by the punter.

:rofl:
The Eagles punter was an ex-Australian Rules player. I believe he knows how to tackle. No shame there.
With this proliferation of Australian punts in college football over the last decade (JMU had one 2017-2021, 5 year starter, 4x All CAA), was wondering how many were now in the NFL. Have seen numerous Div I college games where both punters were from Australia. According to wiki, Australia has the 2nd most # of foreign players in the NFL 2022 season:
Canada: 21 (3 dual)
Australia 8 (5 punters, 2 OT, 1 DE)
Germany 7 (2 dual)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_p ... all_League
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:15 pm
Wah wah wah. For the team that won the Super Bowl, a lot of the Chiefs fanbase sure has been whiny about all these supposed calls and no-calls that went against them during the game. Sensitive bunch those Chiefs fans are. :rofl:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:56 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:15 pm
Wah wah wah. For the team that won the Super Bowl, a lot of the Chiefs fanbase sure has been whiny about all these supposed calls and no-calls that went against them during the game. Sensitive bunch those Chiefs fans are. :rofl:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:23 pm
GannonFan wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:56 am

Methinks you're missing the part where I said the Eagles fumble for a TD and a punt return that was basically a TD, along with poor defense in the second half, were the real culprit for the Eagles loss. Your meme doesn't work for that. :coffee:
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Mahomes had only 182 yds for the whole day I'm a numbers guy and I wished that he had Hill with him he would have been over 300 yds in his sleep and Hill could have taken down RICE mark for receiving yds of 215.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

dal4018 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:28 am Mahomes had only 182 yds for the whole day I'm a numbers guy and I wished that he had Hill with him he would have been over 300 yds in his sleep and Hill could have taken down RICE mark for receiving yds of 215.
KInd of difficult for Mahomes to get yards on 5 yard drives, or defensive TD's.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:42 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:23 pm

Methinks you're missing the part where I said the Eagles fumble for a TD and a punt return that was basically a TD, along with poor defense in the second half, were the real culprit for the Eagles loss. Your meme doesn't work for that. :coffee:
Did you miss the part where BDK said "looks like the NFL wanted the Chiefs to win"? The tweet I posted was for that.

Don't be so butt hurt. The Eagles have a great roster and a top 3 QB who I think will prioritize winning over maximizing his paycheck. They'll be back.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

kalm wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:23 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:12 am

Agreed, hard to overcome a turnover TD and essentially a special teams TD.

And while the defensive holding call at the end wasn't fully responsible for the outcome of the game, it's a brutally bad call that should be castigated. There wasn't a single defensive holding call in the game up to that point, and there were ample examples of worse defensive holdings that weren't called throughout the game. You can't establish that level of officiating, and then change it in the last two minutes. If that's a defensive holding that gets flagged, then you need to be flagging a lot more along the way. Like I said, maybe the outcome is the same, but we were denied the opportunity to see a real classic ending to what had been a really classic game up to that point. Based on the game up to that point, that flag can't come out for that play.
It’s a call that happens often throughout the season. It was a timing route, Mahomes knew it (maybe even saw the hold), and made what looked like an overthrow but was to an end zone corner spot. He immediately pointed at the hold. No one would have bitched much if it hadn’t been called but it was there.
The DB was beaten at the dig move and had to grab the WR or it was 6 8-)
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

dal4018 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:28 am Mahomes had only 182 yds for the whole day I'm a numbers guy and I wished that he had Hill with him he would have been over 300 yds in his sleep and Hill could have taken down RICE mark for receiving yds of 215.
"statistics are like bikinis, what they reveal is interesting, what they don't reveal is vital." JM Juran or WE Deming

SB record, or Top 3 at least, choke job by the defense. :nod:

How often do you win the TOP battle 36/24 and lose, unless you're giving up explosive plays and a lot of them?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:25 pm
"statistics are like bikinis, what they reveal is interesting, what they don't reveal is vital." JM Juran or WE Deming

How often do you win the TOP battle 36/24 and lose, unless you're giving up explosive plays and a lot of them?
Top Super Bowl choke job by a defense was Super Bowl LI. Patriots come back from down 28–3 with 8:31 to go in the third quarter.

Turnovers and special teams.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:39 am

Not a Philly fan, but it looked like a catch and both feet in bounds.

Philly turnover and KC punt return was the difference in the game.

And while the defensive holding call at the end wasn't fully responsible for the outcome of the game, it's a brutally bad call that should be castigated. There wasn't a single defensive holding call in the game up to that point, and there were ample examples of worse defensive holdings that weren't called throughout the game. You can't establish that level of officiating, and then change it in the last two minutes. If that's a defensive holding that gets flagged, then you need to be flagging a lot more along the way. Like I said, maybe the outcome is the same, but we were denied the opportunity to see a real classic ending to what had been a really classic game up to that point. Based on the game up to that point, that flag can't come out for that play.
That was my initial reaction but a close watching shows it was the right call because of when he held him he had already lost the route
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:34 pm

Top Super Bowl choke job by a defense was Super Bowl LI. Patriots come back from down 28–3 with 8:31 to go in the third quarter.

Turnovers and special teams.
I'll allow it
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:57 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:59 am

With this proliferation of Australian punts in college football over the last decade (JMU had one 2017-2021, 5 year starter, 4x All CAA), was wondering how many were now in the NFL. Have seen numerous Div I college games where both punters were from Australia. According to wiki, Australia has the 2nd most # of foreign players in the NFL 2022 season:
Canada: 21 (3 dual)
Australia 8 (5 punters, 2 OT, 1 DE)
Germany 7 (2 dual)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_p ... all_League
SIU has had three, maybe more, Australian punters.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:40 pm

That was my initial reaction but a close watching shows it was the right call because of when he held him he had already lost the route
And like I said, there were other holds throughout the game for similar plays that weren't called. No one has ever argued it wasn't a hold. The argument was whether calling it tighter in the last minute versus the rest of the game was the best officiating. Players adapt to how the game is called. Happens in every sport. Changing what you call during a game is often not well received.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:33 am
houndawg wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:40 pm

And like I said, there were other holds throughout the game for similar plays that weren't called. No one has ever argued it wasn't a hold. The argument was whether calling it tighter in the last minute versus the rest of the game was the best officiating. Players adapt to how the game is called. Happens in every sport. Changing what you call during a game is often not well received.
You assume that the refs see 100% of fouls and call them differently, and that simply ain't so - they miss calls all the time and Philly benefitted from several of them through the playoffs - and these players are pros, they know where the refs are and what the refs can and can't usually see. In this case the DB was already beaten at the dig part of the route and it six if he doesn't hold, and the ref is supposed to let that go? If Philly wasn't so busy choking they would have let KC score and had plenty of time to answer, and elect to go for two if they wanted to, sure af they didn't want to play Mahomes in OT.

Interesting stat - Philly had no holding calls against SF and KC had no holding calls against Philly
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

houndawg wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:31 pm
You assume that the refs see 100% of fouls and call them differently, and that simply ain't so - they miss calls all the time and Philly benefitted from several of them through the playoffs - and these players are pros, they know where the refs are and what the refs can and can't usually see. In this case the DB was already beaten at the dig part of the route and it six if he doesn't hold, and the ref is supposed to let that go? If Philly wasn't so busy choking they would have let KC score and had plenty of time to answer, and elect to go for two if they wanted to, sure af they didn't want to play Mahomes in OT.

Interesting stat - Philly had no holding calls against SF and KC had no holding calls against Philly
Bradbury reportedly had a more egregious hold on JSS earlier that they didn't call. Maybe they didn't see it, maybe they were letting them play but I get why an Eagle fan would be frustrated. The inconsistent calls went both ways, with Philly benefiting at least as much as they were hurt by the questionable calls.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

The interesting stat is more interesting if you look at the head ref's crews over the past two months. That defensive holding call with just under 2 minutes to go in the Super Bowl was the first defensive holding call that guy's crew called since the middle of December. They had gone basically two months (had 4 games in that span I believe) without calling a defensive holding call. And yes, there weren't holding calls, offensive or defensive, in the entire Super Bowl before that flag came out at the end. All about consistency.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:38 pm

Bradbury reportedly had a more egregious hold on JSS earlier that they didn't call. Maybe they didn't see it, maybe they were letting them play but I get why an Eagle fan would be frustrated. The inconsistent calls went both ways, with Philly benefiting at least as much as they were hurt by the questionable calls.
most of the bad calls went their way through the playoffs, and yeah Bradbury had a worse foul earlier with the same hand on the hip technique
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:56 pm
UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:38 pm

most of the bad calls went their way through the playoffs, and yeah Bradbury had a worse foul earlier with the same hand on the hip technique
Huh? That's a pretty general statement and reeks of some kind of sour grapes. Any actual details and plays to go over? I don't recall anything as egregious as you're insinuating so I would love to get into the details, assuming you have them. :coffee:
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

The defense scored on a fumble I want to see Mahomes in the record books.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:58 pm
houndawg wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:56 pm

Huh? That's a pretty general statement and reeks of some kind of sour grapes. Any actual details and plays to go over? I don't recall anything as egregious as you're insinuating so I would love to get into the details, assuming you have them. :coffee:
The irony of the Bradbury call is that he had to foul because he lost the route at the beginning and if he hadn't grabbed shirt it was six. If he hadn't fouled and had been beaten for the TD.....Eagles get the ball back down by 7 with plenty of time for a last drive and, if they score, a chance to win it in regulation. You never know which plays are going to be the difference makers