2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Contemporary Ballot

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Contemporary Ballot

Post by Gil Dobie »

What 8 players will be announced on Nov 7th, for the Contemporary Ballot, players who played a majority of their career after 1980.

Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa, Fred McGriff, Curt Schilling, and Kenny Lofton. Dwight Evans, Dave Parker, Lou Whitaker, Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Albert Belle, Will Clark, Orel Hershiser, Joe Carter, Mark McGwire, Ron Guidry, Dan Quisenberry, Kevin Appier, Bob Boone, Kevin Brown, Jose Canseco, Jack Clark, David Cone, Brian Downing, Cecil Fielder, Chuck Finley, Steve Finley, John Franco, Andrés Galarraga, Kirk Gibson, Juan González, Dwight Gooden, Mark Grace, Ken Griffey Sr., Pedro Guerrero, Keith Hernandez, Carney Lansford, Chet Lemon, Fred Lynn, Dennis Martínez, Willie McGee, Randy Myers, John Olerud, Rafael Palmeiro, Tony Peña, Willie Randolph, Jeff Reardon, Rick Reuschel, Dave Righetti, Bret Saberhagen, Steve Sax, Dave Stewart, Dave Stieb, Frank Tanana, Kent Tekulve, Fernando Valenzuela, Mo Vaughn, Robin Ventura, Frank Viola, David Wells, John Wetteland, Devon White, Frank White, Bernie Williams, Matt Williams and Willie Wilson.

I would go with Fred McGriff, Curt Schilling, Dave Parker, Lou Whitaker, Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Ron Guidry, Keith Hernandez
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2023 Baseball Hall of Fame Contemporary Ballot

Post by GannonFan »

That's a lot of names to go through and look up all their stats (and to see if they were a steroid guy), so I'm just going off the top of head who I would put in (and I reserve the right to pull someone back if the stats don't back it up or if they were juicing):
- Curt Schilling (no brainer, easiest selection on this list, only his abrasive personality after baseball and a self-righteous pool of voters kept him out)
- Dave Parker (big bat for a great era of Pirates baseball)
- Don Mattingly (tempted to leave him off this list to piss off JoltinJoe, but Mattingly was always close, and from this list he should get in)
- Dale Murphy (he's like Dave Parker - if he's getting in, Murphy gets in)
- Dwight Gooden (unlike steroids, he just did coke, I don't think that should keep him out. So dominant, just maybe for too short of a time)
- Robin Ventura (played a lot longer than I thought, always a dangerous hitter on very successful teams)
- Lou Whitaker (especially if Trammel is already in, can't keep them separated)
- Tony Pena (my favorite catcher growing up, even as a non-Philllie - sorry Boone! - we'd always imitate his crazy positions behind the plate)

Oh, and if Keth Hernandez gets in there's no way I'm driving him to the airport, just to make that clear.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:28 pm That's a lot of names to go through and look up all their stats (and to see if they were a steroid guy), so I'm just going off the top of head who I would put in (and I reserve the right to pull someone back if the stats don't back it up or if they were juicing):
- Curt Schilling (no brainer, easiest selection on this list, only his abrasive personality after baseball and a self-righteous pool of voters kept him out)
- Don Mattingly (tempted to leave him off this list to piss off JoltinJoe, but Mattingly was always close, and from this list he should get in)
- Dwight Gooden (unlike steroids, he just did coke, I don't think that should keep him out. So dominant, just maybe for too short of a time)
- Robin Ventura (played a lot longer than I thought, always a dangerous hitter on very successful teams)
- Tony Pena (my favorite catcher growing up, even as a non-Philllie - sorry Boone! - we'd always imitate his crazy positions behind the plate)

Oh, and if Keth Hernandez gets in there's no way I'm driving him to the airport, just to make that clear.
Would you help him move?
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I just picked the names that jumped out to me without regard to Gil's proviso that it be 8...and it ended up being 8. What are the odds?!?

Anyways, my picks are:

1. Hershiser
2. McGwire
3. The Quiz
4. Griffey Sr (better than Jr ever dreamed of being)
5. Lansford
6. Lynn
7. Stewart
8. Tekulve

Oh, and a HECK NO!

Mr. I Can't Throw to First

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

tribe_pride wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:12 pm
GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:28 pm That's a lot of names to go through and look up all their stats (and to see if they were a steroid guy), so I'm just going off the top of head who I would put in (and I reserve the right to pull someone back if the stats don't back it up or if they were juicing):

Would you help him move?
Help him move?!? I hardly know him! :rofl:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Belle, Bonds, Clemens, Palmeiro, Mattingly, McGriff, Schilling and Murphy make the ballot.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:37 pm Belle, Bonds, Clemens, Palmeiro, Mattingly, McGriff, Schilling and Murphy make the ballot.
As long as Bonds, Clemens, and Palmeiro don't make it then I'm good with the others. :thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

The Contemporary Baseball Era player ballot was determined this fall by the Historical Overview Committee, comprised of 11 veteran historians: Bob Elliott (Canadian Baseball Network); Jim Henneman (formerly Baltimore Sun); Steve Hirdt (Stats Perform); Rick Hummel (St. Louis Post-Dispatch); David O’Brien (The Athletic); Jack O’Connell (BBWAA); Jim Reeves (formerly Fort Worth Star-Telegram); Tracy Ringolsby (InsideTheSeams.com); Glenn Schwarz (formerly San Francisco Chronicle); Susan Slusser (San Francisco Chronicle); and Mark Whicker (Los Angeles News Group).

The 16-member Hall of Fame Board-appointed electorates charged with the review of the Contemporary Baseball Era player ballot will be announced later this fall. The Committee will meet to discuss and review the candidacies of the eight finalists as part of baseball’s Winter Meetings on Dec. 4 in San Diego, Calif.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:24 am
tribe_pride wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:12 pm

Would you help him move?
Help him move?!? I hardly know him! :rofl:
Well I'm definitely not driving him to the airport.