2022-23 NBA Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Re: 2022-23 NBA Thread

Post by dal4018 »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:20 pm LeBron James becomes the NBA's all-time scoring leader, eclipsing Kareem Abdul Jabbar's record.

https://sports.yahoo.com/lebron-james-s ... 14970.html
Next for LBJ 40K!!!!!!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

dal4018 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:47 am
JALMOND wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:20 pm LeBron James becomes the NBA's all-time scoring leader, eclipsing Kareem Abdul Jabbar's record.

Next for LBJ 40K!!!!!!
Still not as good as Jordan. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Next for LBJ 40K!!!!!!
Wonder how many points Kareem would have scored if he wasn't forced to go to college for 4 years. Probably another 6-8000.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Durant traded to Phoenix.
Westbrook traded to Utah.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:59 am Durant traded to Phoenix.
Westbrook traded to Utah.
Durant trade is huge, probably makes the Suns the new favorite out West. Even makes the Suns a competitive choice to win it all now as well. Celtics are still the best team, but plenty of teams pretty much right on their heels.

Poor Simmons, left all alone now in Brooklyn. :rofl:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Blazers acquire Thybulle.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:59 am Blazers acquire Thybulle.

Sixers had to bail on him. Great defense, but no offense. Have to be able to score in this league and he can't do that well enough to warrant time on the floor come playoff time. Throw in that he's on an expiring contract and the Sixers were slightly above the luxury tax and it's easy to see him leave. Wish him luck, he'll be in the league for a long while, hopefully he develops a shot during that time.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:21 am
JALMOND wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:59 am Blazers acquire Thybulle.

Sixers had to bail on him. Great defense, but no offense. Have to be able to score in this league and he can't do that well enough to warrant time on the floor come playoff time. Throw in that he's on an expiring contract and the Sixers were slightly above the luxury tax and it's easy to see him leave. Wish him luck, he'll be in the league for a long while, hopefully he develops a shot during that time.
Blazer fans are not happy about it (not really happy about their whole deadline deals), but I don't really see why. Thybulle, when playing, is 2nd-team All Defense, a need that the Blazers have had for pretty much the whole Lillard timeline. Blazers have always had a plethora of scoring but no defense. I think it is worth to take a flyer on someone like Thybulle, and see if the Blazers can mask his lack of shooting with all their scorers. His defense is sorely needed on the Blazers. The outcry of "He can't shoot" is ludicrous. The last thing the Blazers need is more shooting. They need defense.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:19 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:21 am

Blazer fans are not happy about it (not really happy about their whole deadline deals), but I don't really see why. Thybulle, when playing, is 2nd-team All Defense, a need that the Blazers have had for pretty much the whole Lillard timeline. Blazers have always had a plethora of scoring but no defense. I think it is worth to take a flyer on someone like Thybulle, and see if the Blazers can mask his lack of shooting with all their scorers. His defense is sorely needed on the Blazers. The outcry of "He can't shoot" is ludicrous. The last thing the Blazers need is more shooting. They need defense.
The thing is, come playoff time, you simply can't have players on the floor that can't shoot. Trust me, I've seen it with the Sixers with Ben Simmons first, and to a lesser degree Thybulle. If you commit playoff minutes to guys like that, you're playing 4 on 5 on the offensive side of the court, and unless you have a Jordan-type player as one of those 4, you're not going to be successful. Mind you, just talking playoffs, as during the regular season you can pick up wins with players like that. Heck, even first round of the playoffs you can get away with it. But you aren't going deep into any playoffs putting one dimensional guys out on the court.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:34 am
JALMOND wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:19 am

The thing is, come playoff time, you simply can't have players on the floor that can't shoot. Trust me, I've seen it with the Sixers with Ben Simmons first, and to a lesser degree Thybulle. If you commit playoff minutes to guys like that, you're playing 4 on 5 on the offensive side of the court, and unless you have a Jordan-type player as one of those 4, you're not going to be successful. Mind you, just talking playoffs, as during the regular season you can pick up wins with players like that. Heck, even first round of the playoffs you can get away with it. But you aren't going deep into any playoffs putting one dimensional guys out on the court.
The Blazers are still a few moves from contending so a deep run in the playoffs is not going to happen this year. I'm not saying Thybulle is to right answer for the Blazers woes on defense, but I've been wanting to see for some time what a Lillard led, offense-first minded team could do with an All-NBA defender alongside them. Now, the Blazers will have a 30-game sample size to see. If in that time Thybulle develops any type of reliable shot, that would be a bonus, both to Thybulle and to the Blazers. And if Lillard and Simons can learn a few defensive tricks from Thybulle, that will be great as well. The Blazers aren't going anywhere this year so it is a good time to try it and see.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:50 am

Next for LBJ 40K!!!!!!
James took Cleveland to the finals at age 21 Jordan never sniffed the finals at this age.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:56 am

Next for LBJ 40K!!!!!!
Wonder how many points Kareem would have scored if he wasn't forced to go to college for 4 years. Probably another 6-8000.
Well we will never have answer that question
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

dal4018 wrote:
GannonFan wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:50 am Still not as good as Jordan. :coffee:
James took Cleveland to the finals at age 21 Jordan never sniffed the finals at this age.
How many NBA championships did Jordan win? LeBron? How many did Jordan lose? LeBron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dal4018 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:16 pm

Kobe won twice with Pau Gasol. Jordan had Pippen and Rodman, Lebron had Wade, Irving and Davis.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dal4018 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:18 pm

Well we will never have answer that question
Jordan and Wilt scored 30.1 points per game.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Jordan never played in as weak as conference as Lebron did what that historically weak Eastern conference. The East was the much better conference during Jordan's days.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:03 am

Jordan never played in as weak as conference as Lebron did what that historically weak Eastern conference. The East was the much better conference during Jordan's days.
When Jordan was 19, he led his team to the NCAA Championship.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Wolves beat the Doncic, Irving Mavs.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:20 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:34 am

The Blazers are still a few moves from contending so a deep run in the playoffs is not going to happen this year. I'm not saying Thybulle is to right answer for the Blazers woes on defense, but I've been wanting to see for some time what a Lillard led, offense-first minded team could do with an All-NBA defender alongside them. Now, the Blazers will have a 30-game sample size to see. If in that time Thybulle develops any type of reliable shot, that would be a bonus, both to Thybulle and to the Blazers. And if Lillard and Simons can learn a few defensive tricks from Thybulle, that will be great as well. The Blazers aren't going anywhere this year so it is a good time to try it and see.
Thybulle impressive in debut with the Blazers. 3 blocks, 1 steal, 6 rebounds, 4 3-pointers, 16 points. I am not thinking he has turned into a shooter. I do realize he could put an 0-fer in the scoring category tonight. But he really impressed with his way of flying around on defense, to the point that both Little and Sharpe were trying to do the same. I don't know how the season will play out, but he looked comfortable out there for the Blazers.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:21 am
JALMOND wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:20 am

Thybulle impressive in debut with the Blazers. 3 blocks, 1 steal, 6 rebounds, 4 3-pointers, 16 points. I am not thinking he has turned into a shooter. I do realize he could put an 0-fer in the scoring category tonight. But he really impressed with his way of flying around on defense, to the point that both Little and Sharpe were trying to do the same. I don't know how the season will play out, but he looked comfortable out there for the Blazers.
I told you, he's a boon in the regular season. It's in the playoffs that you can't have him on the floor for many minutes.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Next for LBJ 40K!!!!!!
Good bet yes.
:thumb:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Wolves move into the 6 spot. Need one more win against Phoenix for a road trip sweep.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Wolves still make the playoffs, playing for the 8th seed today. Tough season with KAT playing around 25 games, then Reid getting hurt at the end. Reid was their best guy coming off the bench.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:40 am Wolves still make the playoffs, playing for the 8th seed today. Tough season with KAT playing around 25 games, then Reid getting hurt at the end. Reid was their best guy coming off the bench.
Rudy Gobert not making the trip to LA.

https://www.nba.com/news/rudy-gobert-ky ... d-pelicans
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:43 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:40 am Wolves still make the playoffs, playing for the 8th seed today. Tough season with KAT playing around 25 games, then Reid getting hurt at the end. Reid was their best guy coming off the bench.
Rudy Gobert not making the trip to LA.

https://www.nba.com/news/rudy-gobert-ky ... d-pelicans
The key point is, they won the game, and can make the playoffs with one more win, instead of having to win 2.