2022-23 NBA Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: 2022-23 NBA Thread

Post by SuperHornet »

The Acclaimed in Blitzburgh with the obligatory Draymond Green reference...combined with the Terrible Towel....

:rofl:

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

Draymond Green suspended for Game 3 vs Kings.

https://sports.yahoo.com/draymond-green ... G6kxzkzx0O

:ohno:

If you suspend Green, you have to suspend Jarrett Allen as well.

C'mon people. Its the playoffs. :oops:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Bring on the Draft Lottery. Go Pistons!
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Wolves guard Anthony Edwards cited for assault.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/362 ... ame-5-loss
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:03 pm Wolves guard Anthony Edwards cited for assault.

I saw the video. Obviously done in frustration, but no intentional contact.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:55 am
JALMOND wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:03 pm Wolves guard Anthony Edwards cited for assault.

I dunno. Many of these arenas, the walkways from the court to the locker rooms are pretty narrow. I've noticed that when the Blazers leave the court, many times they have to leave single file until they get off the court, where it usually widens. You take off running, grab a chair and start swinging it as you are running, among a crowd that is celebrating a good win, and you are an opposing player, I just think it is ripe for disaster. Maybe not to the level of being charged for assault, but still you need to be aware. Grab a chair in the locker room and throw it, but leave those in the arena alone,
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:06 am

I dunno. Many of these arenas, the walkways from the court to the locker rooms are pretty narrow. I've noticed that when the Blazers leave the court, many times they have to leave single file until they get off the court, where it usually widens. You take off running, grab a chair and start swinging it as you are running, among a crowd that is celebrating a good win, and you are an opposing player, I just think it is ripe for disaster. Maybe not to the level of being charged for assault, but still you need to be aware. Grab a chair in the locker room and throw it, but leave those in the arena alone,
The bar for assault is typically pretty low. What Edwards did most likely qualifies, it might even have been battery.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Did you see the video I posted? He grabbed the chair, did a 360 and dropped it, I wouldn't call it a throw. It's a money grab by the people that touched the chair. I agree he shouldn't have done it, hopefully lesson learned.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:26 am

The bar for assault is typically pretty low. What Edwards did most likely qualifies, it might even have been battery.
I was at the game that Ron Artest threw the water bottle into the crowd. I should have sued for hurt feelings, because I saw a water bottle hit a fan in the 20 seats to my left. The pain the horror. Having a chair dropped on your toe, that should be a severe penalty.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:38 pm

Did you see the video I posted? He grabbed the chair, did a 360 and dropped it, I wouldn't call it a throw. It's a money grab by the people that touched the chair. I agree he shouldn't have done it, hopefully lesson learned.
What Edwards side of the story.

"With the game over, Anthony's exit from the court was partially obstructed by a chair, which he moved and set down three steps later. As video of the incident confirms, Anthony did not swing the chair at anyone and of course did not intend to hurt anyone,"

Several videos posted to social media by fans at Ball Arena for Denver's 112-109 win Tuesday appear to support Steinberg's claim that the alleged contact with the staffers caused by the chair was inadvertent on Edwards' part after he missed the tying 3-point attempt at the buzzer and jogged off the court in frustration. The floor seats are particularly close to the pathway to the tunnel that leads to the locker room.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:38 pm

I did watch it, and it does look like the chair came pretty close to hitting the blonde girl to Edwards' right (she kind of moved behind the guy she was with). I would say there isn't much there that would show an "assault". I also think there is some responsibility with the fans as well, similar to flying pucks in hockey, in that if you are sitting close to the opposing team's exit, just be aware.

Sounds like 3rd degree assault is pretty serious in Colorado, not that Edwards will see any jail time. I think probation is most likely, with him being suspended for the opening game next season.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:41 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:26 am
I was at the game that Ron Artest threw the water bottle into the crowd. I should have sued for hurt feelings, because I saw a water bottle hit a fan in the 20 seats to my left. The pain the horror. Having a chair dropped on your toe, that should be a severe penalty.
Lighten up Francis.

Based on the look on the blonde's face, I'm not sure just her feelings were hurt. An adult is responsible for the results of their actions regardless of their intentions.

It was probably at least assault by typical definition (a battery charge means there was actual physical contact and harm. Assault only implicates the threat of harm without the act of physically harming somebody).

I don't think it was 3rd degree assault in Colorado because I don't think a chair is a deadly weapon. Third-degree assault (18-3-204 C.R.S.): Negligently causing injury with a deadly weapon.

If no serious injuries occurred, an apology and some signed memorabilia should cover it.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:00 pm

Lighten up Francis.

Based on the look on the blonde's face, I'm not sure just her feelings were hurt. An adult is responsible for the results of their actions regardless of their intentions.

It was probably at least assault by typical definition (a battery charge means there was actual physical contact and harm. Assault only implicates the threat of harm without the act of physically harming somebody).

I don't think it was 3rd degree assault in Colorado because I don't think a chair is a deadly weapon. Third-degree assault (18-3-204 C.R.S.): Negligently causing injury with a deadly weapon.

If no serious injuries occurred, an apology and some signed memorabilia should cover it.
I'm was being sarcastic, you sound like POD knows making stuff up about how I view things. Do you know for sure the blond was struck? The chair was in his way, he picked it up and tried to move it, at least by all the video's I've seen. Murica, innocent until proven guilty.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Lighten up Francis.

“As video of the incident confirms, Anthony did not swing the chair at anyone and of course did not intend to hurt anyone. … [He] intends to vigorously defend against these baseless charges.”
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Lighten up Francis.

Colorado law defines assault as unlawfully causing injury to another person. This crime may be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony depending on the circumstances. There are three degrees of assault (from most serious to least serious):

First-degree assault (18-3-202 C.R.S.): Intentionally causing serious injury with a deadly weapon.
Second-degree assault (18-3-203 C.R.S.): Intentionally causing serious injury without a deadly weapon.
Third-degree assault (18-3-204 C.R.S.): Negligently causing injury with a deadly weapon.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:22 pm

Lighten up Francis.

I'm was being sarcastic, you sound like POD knows making stuff up about how I view things. Do you know for sure the blond was struck? The chair was in his way, he picked it up and tried to move it, at least by all the video's I've seen. Murica, innocent until proven guilty.

I was joking with the "Lighten up Francis" (it's a Stripes quote). Do you "sound like POD knows making stuff up about how I view things"?

I don't know if the blonde was struck, that's why I posted that I wasn't sure if just her feelings were hurt. I also didn't say that Edwards is guilty. If he caused harm then he is responsible for that harm whether he intended to cause it or not. There's a difference between being responsible for harm and being guilty of a crime.

IMO saying he simply picked up the chair and tried to move it doesn't do justice to the spin and force used in "moving the chair."

And like I said, if no serious injuries occurred, an apology and some signed memorabilia should cover it. If there were serious injuries, then the Timberwolves should cover all medical care and a civil suit could be justified. I think 3rd degree assault is too much.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:51 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:22 pm

I was joking with the "Lighten up Francis" (it's a Stripes quote). Do you "sound like POD knows making stuff up about how I view things"?

I don't know if the blonde was struck, that's why I posted that I wasn't sure if just her feelings were hurt. I also didn't say that Edwards is guilty. If he caused harm then he is responsible for that harm whether he intended to cause it or not. There's a difference between being responsible for harm and being guilty of a crime.

IMO saying he simply picked up the chair and tried to move it doesn't do justice to the spin and force used in "moving the chair."

And like I said, if no serious injuries occurred, an apology and some signed memorabilia should cover it. If there were serious injuries, then the Timberwolves should cover all medical care and a civil suit could be justified. I think 3rd degree assault is too much.
He was jogging off the court, looks like he spun around from momentum, versus falling or running over someone. The video I posted shows the blond was not hit in the face, maybe grazed her jacket if it touched her.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:44 am
UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:51 pm

He was jogging off the court, looks like he spun around from momentum, versus falling or running over someone. The video I posted shows the blond was not hit in the face, maybe grazed her jacket if it touched her.
Some issues I have after examining the videos (not just the one you posted). Keep in mind I don't have a dog in the race here. I like Edwards' game. I wish the Blazers had someone on their team with the fire that he shows up with. I do have a "hate"if you will, for the Nuggets, just as a result of the Blazers playing them many times in recent playoffs. But,

1. I wouldn't say Edwards was jogging. After missing the 3-pointer, he took off running for the locker room.
2. Why even mess with the chair? I doubt he was trying to do the Nuggets' security by just trying to move it out of the way. I also can't say he was concerned someone with the Wolves would trip over it. Even so, there was a wide aisle behind the chair that Edwards could have just pushed the chair back into, if he was so concerned about the chair.
3. The blonde turned her back to Edwards as he went by her with the chair, then turned and made some expression that indicated she was struck. She then looked as Edwards was running to the tunnel, with her month open like "I can't believe that just happened".
4. Edwards then laid the chair at the feet of another woman near the entrance to the tunnel. My opinion, it was similar to a batter laying down his bat after hitting a ball (not like a home run, more like a single).
5. There had to have been some evidence that the Colorado police saw that justified them in stopping the Wolves team bus as it left the arena. I have never heard of arena security or city police stopping an opposing team's bus just because some fan said they were hit (and I've been a Blazer fan since going back to the Jail Blazers' era).

I do think the issue is being made into something more that it should. I think it is more like if I raise my fist in celebration of something good happening and I accidentally hit you, that is one thing, but if I do haul off and clobber you, that is totally different. I think this falls into the celebration issue. Knowing of what I've seen of Edwards, I highly doubt he meant to do any harm to anyone.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:56 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:44 am

Some issues I have after examining the videos (not just the one you posted). Keep in mind I don't have a dog in the race here. I like Edwards' game. I wish the Blazers had someone on their team with the fire that he shows up with. I do have a "hate"if you will, for the Nuggets, just as a result of the Blazers playing them many times in recent playoffs. But,

1. I wouldn't say Edwards was jogging. After missing the 3-pointer, he took off running for the locker room.
2. Why even mess with the chair? I doubt he was trying to do the Nuggets' security by just trying to move it out of the way. I also can't say he was concerned someone with the Wolves would trip over it. Even so, there was a wide aisle behind the chair that Edwards could have just pushed the chair back into, if he was so concerned about the chair.
3. The blonde turned her back to Edwards as he went by her with the chair, then turned and made some expression that indicated she was struck. She then looked as Edwards was running to the tunnel, with her month open like "I can't believe that just happened".
4. Edwards then laid the chair at the feet of another woman near the entrance to the tunnel. My opinion, it was similar to a batter laying down his bat after hitting a ball (not like a home run, more like a single).
5. There had to have been some evidence that the Colorado police saw that justified them in stopping the Wolves team bus as it left the arena. I have never heard of arena security or city police stopping an opposing team's bus just because some fan said they were hit (and I've been a Blazer fan since going back to the Jail Blazers' era).

I do think the issue is being made into something more that it should. I think it is more like if I raise my fist in celebration of something good happening and I accidentally hit you, that is one thing, but if I do haul off and clobber you, that is totally different. I think this falls into the celebration issue. Knowing of what I've seen of Edwards, I highly doubt he meant to do any harm to anyone.
Fair enough, the video I linked showed on the second video where the blond turned her face before the chair passed by her.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Interesting that one seed moved on to the second round of the NBA playoffs. There were no duplication of seeds.

1. Denver (west)
2. Boston (east)
3. Philadelphia (east)
4. Phoenix (west)
5. New York (east)
6. Golden State (west)
7. LA Lakers (west)
8. Miami (east)

Also, if you are in to conspiracies, it is interesting to note that, in a year where the new TV deal was negotiated, there are no "small" markets moving past the first round. All the teams moving on represent the larger markets in the NBA.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:02 am Interesting that one seed moved on to the second round of the NBA playoffs. There were no duplication of seeds.

1. Denver (west)
2. Boston (east)
3. Philadelphia (east)
4. Phoenix (west)
5. New York (east)
6. Golden State (west)
7. LA Lakers (west)
8. Miami (east)

Also, if you are in to conspiracies, it is interesting to note that, in a year where the new TV deal was negotiated, there are no "small" markets moving past the first round. All the teams moving on represent the larger markets in the NBA.
That's a weird stat with the seeds advancing. Probably don't see that all that often.

As for the markets, I'd argue that Denver (16th biggest US market) and Miami (18th) aren't on the same scale as the other big markets. Heck, those two teams are in the bottom half of the NBA in terms of teams in big markets. There are 10 NBA teams in bigger markets than those teams who are home watching the playoffs right now.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:50 am
JALMOND wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:02 am Interesting that one seed moved on to the second round of the NBA playoffs. There were no duplication of seeds.

1. Denver (west)
2. Boston (east)
3. Philadelphia (east)
4. Phoenix (west)
5. New York (east)
6. Golden State (west)
7. LA Lakers (west)
8. Miami (east)

That's a weird stat with the seeds advancing. Probably don't see that all that often.

As for the markets, I'd argue that Denver (16th biggest US market) and Miami (18th) aren't on the same scale as the other big markets. Heck, those two teams are in the bottom half of the NBA in terms of teams in big markets. There are 10 NBA teams in bigger markets than those teams who are home watching the playoffs right now.
I'm not sure JALMOND was talking about market size compared to the entire league but market size compared to the vanquished opponent:
  • Denver is only slightly smaller then Minneapolis
  • Miami is significantly larger than Milwaukee
  • LA dwarfs Memphis and the Lakers have a greater national following
  • Golden State is significantly larger than Sacramento and the Warriors have a greater national following
  • LA (Clippers) is significantly larger than Phoenix but the Clippers are the #2 team in LA so probably a wash
  • Atlanta is slightly larger than Boston but Boston has a greater national following
  • NYC is significantly larger than Philadelphia but the Nets are the #2 team in NYC so probably a wash
  • New York dwarfs Cleveland
From an eyeball perspective, the league should be ecstatic about the 1st results and potential 2nd round ratings.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

1. Denver (west)
2. Boston (east)
3. Philadelphia (east)
4. Phoenix (west)
5. New York (east)
6. Golden State (west)
7. LA Lakers (west)
8. Miami (east)

My bad. I actually considered Miami as a larger market. I did not realize they were so far down the list. I would not have classified them as a "small" market.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 12:40 pm

I'm not sure JALMOND was talking about market size compared to the entire league but market size compared to the vanquished opponent:
  • Denver is only slightly smaller then Minneapolis
  • Miami is significantly larger than Milwaukee
  • LA dwarfs Memphis and the Lakers have a greater national following
  • Golden State is significantly larger than Sacramento and the Warriors have a greater national following
  • LA (Clippers) is significantly larger than Phoenix but the Clippers are the #2 team in LA so probably a wash
  • Atlanta is slightly larger than Boston but Boston has a greater national following
  • NYC is significantly larger than Philadelphia but the Nets are the #2 team in NYC so probably a wash
  • New York dwarfs Cleveland
From an eyeball perspective, the league should be ecstatic about the 1st results and potential 2nd round ratings.
Can't really beat the matchups - the Knicks got into the second round so that's the NYC market there (and Jimmy Butler is always fun to watch), they got Steph versus Lebron, and they got a Sixers/Celtics series. That's NBA gold there.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation