2022 MLB Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

2022 MLB Season

Post by SuperHornet »

I'm surprised that nobody's started this yet, and we're almost at the All-Star Break.

Unusual double play here. As the runner is moving from first to second and the batter is moving to first because they think they just got Ball Four, a Cincinnati appeal to the first base umpire rules that the batter had swung for Strike Three, and was out. By this time, the pitcher had the ball back, and was screaming for him to throw to first. He did, and the runner on base was tagged out.

I don't think I've ever seen a double play quite like that before....

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=974849773184383

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Re: 2022 MLB Season

Post by SuperHornet »

A balk-off win in the 10th for my Reds. I don't see the balk myself, but I'll gratefully accept the win....

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/mlb/new ... glcrsqkwfd

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Buxton hits the game winning homer to help the AL defeat the NL.

One of the more interesting AS games, with some of the pitchers and catchers miked.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

The ASG was a perfect example of why baseball is unwatchable for me these days. I'm no fan of Clayton Kershaw, but there was absolutely no legitimate reason why he should have been lifted after ONE FREAKING INNING of dominant ball. Naturally, the bullpen blew up (a fellow Dodger, no less), and the NL lost the game, and all because the manager can't manage his way out of a wet paper bag. This is dumb.

Also dumb were the in-game miking (and outright interviews) Gil mentioned above. Stupid....

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:55 pm The ASG was a perfect example of why baseball is unwatchable for me these days. I'm no fan of Clayton Kershaw, but there was absolutely no legitimate reason why he should have been lifted after ONE FREAKING INNING of dominant ball. Naturally, the bullpen blew up (a fellow Dodger, no less), and the NL lost the game, and all because the manager can't manage his way out of a wet paper bag. This is dumb.

Also dumb were the in-game miking (and outright interviews) Gil mentioned above. Stupid....
Dude, pitchers have been pitching just one or two innings in the All Star game for something like the past 40 years. How long did you want Kershaw to throw? Would Dodger fans be alright with him missing his next start so that he could throw more innings in the All-Star game? And btw, it's not like Kershaw struck out the side. He walked one and gave up a hit. Nice inning, but dominant?

Baseball is hard to watch because there's not a lot of action, and it's gotten even more so with the focus on HR's at the expense of small ball (moving runners over, stolen bases, etc). The All star game was a great example - basically a few home runs in two innings and that was it. Baseball's great to go to a game, in good weather in the summer, and enjoy the evening. It's great as background noise in the house during the summer as well. And it's fun to actually play. But other than that, it's a dying sport in America.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Offensively, I agree with you, GF. I first noticed it with that jerk Bochy, but it probably had some seeds slightly before him: get a guy on and sit and wait for the jack (which sometimes never comes). I'm not a fan of the solo job at all (unless it's a walk-off). And this DH-mania has got to go: there's absolutely no reason that I'll accept for making a .350-hitting pitcher sit so some .175-hitting shortstop can strike out. The farthest I'll take that would be the college softball DP rule: the DP can be used in place of ANY position player in the lineup.

Re 1 inning at the ASG: that's more of a recent trend. They'd been doing about three for decades, and I thought THAT was dumb. Just looking through Baseball Reference again...starting pitchers in the ASG averaged three innings or so from the beginning through the '70s, though there was one year the AL only put two pitchers out there, and they went 4 innings and 5 innings apiece, and in 1935, Lefty Gomez pitched six innings. In the '80s, it was more like two to three innings on average. It wasn't until the '90s when it REALLY started drawing down, with ten zillion pitchers (or so it seemed) getting into the game, though Greg Maddux did throw three innings as the starter in '94. Even through the '90s, the average was about two innings. It wasn't until Randy Johnson was lifted after 1 inning in 2000 that one inning became the vogue; throughout history, if a pitcher started and went less than two innings, it was because he was putting a bunch of guys on base. Now, there's not even a pretense about trying to win the game; it's just bring a bunch of pitchers, let them all pitch an inning, and [bleep] the consequences. Oops! This game's going extra innings, and now I'm out of pitchers! What do I do?

This isn't baseball. It's cr@p, is what it is. These managers ought to be fired....

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

3 former Twins enter Cooperstown today.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

St Paul's own Dave Winfield spoke on behalf of Bud Fowler.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Judge hits 41 before the end of July. Only 20 more to tie Roger Maris American League record of 61, set in 1961, 61 years ago.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Congratulations to Hornet OF James Outman, who yesterday became the first Dodger rookie ever to record a home run, three hits, three RBI, and two runs scored in his Major League debut! That homer came on the first swing of his first at bat, a 1-1 pitch that he deposited in the Rockies bullpen at Coors Field. His fiance even captured it on cell video! He did it out of the nine hole, too. He's a 2018 seventh round draft pick....

https://sports.yahoo.com/dodgers-rookie ... p_catchall

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Soto to the Padres.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:22 am Judge hits 41 before the end of July. Only 20 more to tie Roger Maris American League record of 61, set in 1961, 61 years ago.
I think the one I saw (his 40th) was almost a borken bat, opposite field home run. The new Yankee Stadium has always played like a Wiffle Ball park, it was just a matter of time for someone to seriously threaten the AL record playing in that place.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »