2022 NFL Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: 2022 NFL Season

Post by SuperHornet »

First, Derek Carr got benched today. Then he quit on the Raiders. I hope they have a backup for Jarrett Stidham....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

I don't watch NFL football much. But I just watched the end of the Steelers at Ravens game and saw this quarterback I never heard of leading the game winning drive for the Steelers. Looked him up and saw that he is a rookie who played college ball at Pittsburgh. The guy is impressive. Wondering if he's going to be a really big star. Kind of think he might.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Packers went from 4-8 to win and in. Alexander shuts down Jefferson.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:27 pm I don't watch NFL football much. But I just watched the end of the Steelers at Ravens game and saw this quarterback I never heard of leading the game winning drive for the Steelers. Looked him up and saw that he is a rookie who played college ball at Pittsburgh. The guy is impressive. Wondering if he's going to be a really big star. Kind of think he might.
Pickett was a 1st round pick, 3rd in Heisman voting, from Pitt.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:28 am
JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:27 pm I don't watch NFL football much. But I just watched the end of the Steelers at Ravens game and saw this quarterback I never heard of leading the game winning drive for the Steelers. Looked him up and saw that he is a rookie who played college ball at Pittsburgh. The guy is impressive. Wondering if he's going to be a really big star. Kind of think he might.
Pickett going to the Steelers was kind of a done deal. The Steelers share a facility with Pitt Football, so they saw him on a daily basis. Clearly, they liked what they saw....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I have no idea why the League hasn't called this game (MNF BUF-CIN) off yet. Sure, it has some huge playoff implications, but that doesn't mean that the game has to be played NOW, while a young man's life is on the line. Player emotions are going to be such that someone's going to get hurt if greedy Goodell forces this game to continue. Push the playoffs off a week, finish the season, and re-play this during the bye. Give these men a chance to get their heads clear. SMH....

dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:40 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:28 am

Pickett going to the Steelers was kind of a done deal. The Steelers share a facility with Pitt Football, so they saw him on a daily basis. Clearly, they liked what they saw....
Straight out of NJ from Ocean Township
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:51 pm I have no idea why the League hasn't called this game (MNF BUF-CIN) off yet. Sure, it has some huge playoff implications, but that doesn't mean that the game has to be played NOW, while a young man's life is on the line. Player emotions are going to be such that someone's going to get hurt if greedy Goodell forces this game to continue. Push the playoffs off a week, finish the season, and re-play this during the bye. Give these men a chance to get their heads clear. SMH....
They cancelled it listening to WFAN NY SPORTS RADIO and they are keeping up with the progress of this person and his health.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:24 am Packers went from 4-8 to win and in. Alexander shuts down Jefferson.
Packers laid the smackdown on the Vikings.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

dal4018 wrote:
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:24 am Packers went from 4-8 to win and in. Alexander shuts down Jefferson.
Packers laid the smackdown on the Vikings.

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:51 pm I have no idea why the League hasn't called this game (MNF BUF-CIN) off yet. Sure, it has some huge playoff implications, but that doesn't mean that the game has to be played NOW, while a young man's life is on the line. Player emotions are going to be such that someone's going to get hurt if greedy Goodell forces this game to continue. Push the playoffs off a week, finish the season, and re-play this during the bye. Give these men a chance to get their heads clear. SMH....
Absolutely a scary situation, and the NFL took way too long to suspend the game.
:thumb:
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: The Russian

Post by Vidav »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:03 pm
Absolutely a scary situation, and the NFL took way too long to suspend the game.
I read that they don't do it immediately so there isn't a huge amount of traffic while they wait for the ambulance to get out.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Vidav wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:17 pm
dbackjon wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:03 pm

I read that they don't do it immediately so there isn't a huge amount of traffic while they wait for the ambulance to get out.
Can't really fault the NFL, they did the right thing and continue to do the right things. This wasn't a common occurrence and the main focus was on the player as it should've been.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

I'm not sure how this guy still has a job after all of the stupid, insensitive things he's said over the years.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Vidav »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:28 am

I'm not sure how this guy still has a job after all of the stupid, insensitive things he's said over the years.
I hate Skip as much as the next guy but he just worded it poorly. He said the game suddenly seems so irrelevant. His point was that before the incident this was so important to people but now it's not.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Vidav wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:14 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:28 am

I hate Skip as much as the next guy but he just worded it poorly. He said the game suddenly seems so irrelevant. His point was that before the incident this was so important to people but now it's not.
No doubt the NFL is considering postponing the rest of this game - but how? This late in the season, a game of this magnitude is crucial to the regular-season outcome ... which suddenly seems so irrelevant.
Yes, he said the games suddenly seems so irrelevant but he also asked how the NFL could consider postponing it.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Able to communicate with pen and paper.

Physicians say that Hamlin is beginning to awaken and that Wednesday night he asked, in writing, who won the game between the Bills and Bengals. He is still unable to speak and has a breathing tube in. “When he asked, 'Did we win?' the answer is, 'Yes, Damar, you've won the game of life,'” Dr. Timothy Pritts said.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

There is speculation about what will happen with the BUF-CIN game. The last article I read focused on two possibilities.

1. Push the playoffs off a week, and eliminate the off week between the Conference Championship Games and the Super Bowl. Play the BUF-CIN game in the resulting "Week 19."

2. Completely cancel BUF-CIN. There's a major issue with this option: it would for all intents and purposes hand the #1 seed to Kansas City on a silver platter, when BUF could easily get it back were they to play a full 17 games. The author of the article proposed that KC voluntarily petition the NFL to play the AFC Championship at a neutral site. He noted the potential of domed stadia in the North, or even Green Bay if the NFL wants the elements to affect the game.

My favorite is option 1, but the author was in favor of the convoluted cancel-and-go-to-a-neutral site.

Vidav
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Vidav »

I got an alert from the nfl app that said they wont be finishing the game and if the Chiefs host a team with fewer games played for the season (only Bengals or Bills) the AFC championship would be hosted at a neutral site. But if they end up hosting a team with the same number of games played it will be at Arrowhead.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:34 pm Able to communicate with pen and paper.

Physicians say that Hamlin is beginning to awaken and that Wednesday night he asked, in writing, who won the game between the Bills and Bengals. He is still unable to speak and has a breathing tube in. “When he asked, 'Did we win?' the answer is, 'Yes, Damar, you've won the game of life,'” Dr. Timothy Pritts said.
This was great to hear.
Going forward, I am interested in hearing if this was "football" related or not. By this I mean whether the impact of the shoulder into the chest caused this or was it a result of something else. Heard a report yesterday that doctors hope of determine the cause in the coming days so they still don't know.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Cincinnati is pi$$ed off about how the NFL is choosing to violate their own rules to deal with this....

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Packers and Lions in Prime Time, at Historic Lambeau Field. Should be a good game between 2 teams that are having a good second half of the season. Green Bay 5-2, in the last 7, with wins over Dallas and Minnesota. Detroit finishes 7-2 with wins over Green Bay, Minnesota, NY Giants and Jacksonville. Ready for some football.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:38 pm Cincinnati is pi$$ed off about how the NFL is choosing to violate their own rules to deal with this....
What is the protocol if this type of thing happened during a playoff game or the Super Bowl? You obviously can’t cancel the game, and you can’t postpone it unless you postponed the entire playoffs and Super Bowl, which I imagine would be a non possibility.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:39 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:38 pm Cincinnati is pi$$ed off about how the NFL is choosing to violate their own rules to deal with this....
What is the protocol if this type of thing happened during a playoff game or the Super Bowl? You obviously can’t cancel the game, and you can’t postpone it unless you postponed the entire playoffs and Super Bowl, which I imagine would be a non possibility.
You wouldn't have to postpone the Super Bowl. The one-week gap between the Conference Championships could be eliminated as the REST of the playoffs are pushed off a week, thereby creating a "Week 19" gap in which to finish the now-canceled game.

Of course, this is speculation about whether or not to play out a regular season game. You're correct about even more confusion were such a thing to happen during the post-season. Scheduling-wise, it would be easier for the Super Bowl, but selling tickets would be an issue (not to mention getting fans to take time off work to go). Prior playoff games COULD get pushed back, using the previously noted elimination of the one-week gap. But it's certainly easier to work with this happening during a regular season game.

I DO think CIN has a valid gripe about the coin flip, though. (There's also the counter-argument that the entire situation vanishes if they beat BAL in Week 18.) And KC might well have a valid gripe about the potential neutral site game. But given the loss of a BUF game, that does seem to be about the fairest way to deal with the loss of a chance for BUF to nail down the #1 seed (and bye). Of course, the selection of that neutral site will be a factor, because BUF would likely have an advantage were the League to choose Lambeau. KC would have an advantage with the choice of a Western stadium with no weather issues (though that's not likely with the recent atmospheric rivers we've been experiencing out here). The League might well try to hedge their bet by going to DET and their bogus dome....

dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:36 pm
Vidav wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:14 pm

No doubt the NFL is considering postponing the rest of this game - but how? This late in the season, a game of this magnitude is crucial to the regular-season outcome ... which suddenly seems so irrelevant.
Yes, he said the games suddenly seems so irrelevant but he also asked how the NFL could consider postponing it.
Needless to say that he is not very popular now