2022 Olympics

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

2022 Olympics

Post by SuperHornet »

Watching the CAN-SUI women's hockey game. SUI is widely considered to be the fifth best team in the tournament, but they're already down 5-0 in the second period. A rookie put in the first two goals for CAN and has come close to the hat trick. And SUI doesn't get any rest, because apparently they have to play the Sovs tomorrow night, the THIRD best team in the tournament (nobody knows whether or not CAN or USA is 1 or 2)....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Re: 2022 Olympics

Post by SuperHornet »

Make it a fully converted touchdown...and there's still 3 and a half left in the second period. SMH....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

CAN beat SUI last night 12-1.

SUI in action again tonight against the Soviets. Two minutes in, and the Sovs were already in the sin bin. A better matchup, though. Still no score five min in.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Only 2 countries really have women play ice hockey at any decent level - USA and Canada. Anything else is just practice really. The rest of the world is still considerably sexist when it comes to women playing sports, especially niche sports like ice hockey.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:39 am Only 2 countries really have women play ice hockey at any decent level - USA and Canada. Anything else is just practice really. The rest of the world is still considerably sexist when it comes to women playing sports, especially niche sports like ice hockey.
It's only a niche sport in USA. In Sweden, for example, it's their pastime. Also, the bikini team. :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:57 am
GannonFan wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:39 am Only 2 countries really have women play ice hockey at any decent level - USA and Canada. Anything else is just practice really. The rest of the world is still considerably sexist when it comes to women playing sports, especially niche sports like ice hockey.
It's only a niche sport in USA. In Sweden, for example, it's their pastime. Also, the bikini team. :coffee:
Then they must just be sexist. Think there's been 20 world titles contested in women's ice hockey, and Canada's won 11 and the US have won 9. No one else matters in this sport.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

Finland is the only other team that has been somewhat competitive. They have 13 bronzes and a silver (the only non-Canada/non-US - team in the finals of a world championship) of those 20 tournaments.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Putin shows up to say fjb.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

So the Olympics are being held in:
-A brutal communist dictatorship.
-That puts people in concentration camps.
-That allowed the China Virus to spread to the rest of the world.
-That’s in economic warfare with the US (currency manipulation, tarriffs in our goods, state sponsored intellectual property theft on a massive scale, etc, etc).

Why are we competing in these Olympics again?
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Pelosi to the US Olympic athletes: Don’t speak out against the Chinese govt, just shut up and dribble..

Meanwhile, NBC in the opening ceremonies decides to become the propaganda arm of the CPC..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote:Pelosi to the US Olympic athletes: Don’t speak out against the Chinese govt, just shut up and dribble..

Meanwhile, NBC in the opening ceremonies decides to become the propaganda arm of the CPC..
Links? Not questioning veracity (I believe it's happening) but want to read about it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:22 pm So the Olympics are being held in:
-That’s in economic warfare with the US (currency manipulation, tarriffs in our goods, state sponsored intellectual property theft on a massive scale, etc, etc).

They should not be political. At least Biden didn't pull a Jimmy Carter and boycott. My friend that qualified for the 1980 basketball team wishes he could have played, but Jimmy Carter had to bring in politics. Send your best athletes and show them up like Jesse Owen's did to Hitler.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:26 pm
BDKJMU wrote:Pelosi to the US Olympic athletes: Don’t speak out against the Chinese govt, just shut up and dribble..

Links? Not questioning veracity (I believe it's happening) but want to read about it.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Google is your friend.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Thanks Horny!

CID, how dangerous is it for Olympic athletes? What can our government do to protect them in advance or after an incident?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

UNI88 wrote:
Thanks Horny!

CID, how dangerous is it for Olympic athletes? What can our government do to protect them in advance or after an incident?
Nothing.

That’s why San Fran Nan (who has been rather hawkish on the CCP) has told them
to keep their mouths shut. Its a bad situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:38 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:22 pm So the Olympics are being held in:

They should not be political. At least Biden didn't pull a Jimmy Carter and boycott. My friend that qualified for the 1980 basketball team wishes he could have played, but Jimmy Carter had to bring in politics. Send your best athletes and show them up like Jesse Owen's did to Hitler.
While it depends on your definition of "boycott," an argument CAN be made that Biden HAS declared a boycott. The Biden Boycott, however, doesn't involve athletes. It involves US dignitaries. Whether or not that's an "effective" boycott is up to debate....

Others have declared a Biden Boycott, though some are trying to play a semantic game with the word "boycott." Some are citing COVID as a weak excuse, others are using PRC's recent human rights record, including the situation surrounding tennis player Peng Shuai, who has accused a Communist Party official of sexual assault.

To wit:

Biden Boycott: AUS, AUT, BEL, CAN, DEN, EST, JPN, LIT, NED, NZL, SLO, SWE, UK, US.

Edit: Add IND to the diplomatic boycott list, but for a different reason. They're upset about a PLA member who has been getting a lot of pub recently over actions he took in a border skirmish with IND in 2020, including military honors following his wounding, and his service as an Olympic torchbearer....

https://news.yahoo.com/countries-boycot ... p_catchall

https://qz.com/india/2122414/indias-dip ... source=YPL

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Women's Hockey

Group A (Group of Death)
GP W OTW L OTL Pts GD Goals For:Against
CAN 2 2 0 0 0 6 +21 23:2
USA 2 2 0 0 0 6 +8 10:2
URS 2 1 0 1 0 3 -2 5:7
FIN 2 0 0 2 0 0 -13 3:16
SUI 2 0 0 2 0 0 -14 3:17

Group B

JPN 2 1 0 0 0 6 +6 9:3
CZE 2 2 0 0 0 6 +4 6:2
CHN 2 1 0 1 0 3 0 4:4
SWE 2 0 0 2 0 0 -4 2:6
DEN 2 0 0 2 0 0 -6 3:9

03 FEB

CAN d. SUI 12-1
USA d. FIN 5-2
CZE d. CHN 3-1
JPN d. SWE 3-1

04 FEB

URS d. SUI 5-2
CHN d. DEN 3-1

05 FEB

CAN d. FIN 11-1
JPN d. DEN 6-2
CZE d. SWE 3-1
USA d. URS 5-0

06 FEB

CHN vs. JPN
SUI vs. USA

07 FEB

DEN vs. CZE
CHN vs SWE
URS vs. CAN
SUI vs. FIN

08 FEB

JPN vs. CZE
SWE vs. DEN
USA vs. CAN
FIN vs. URS
Last edited by SuperHornet on Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:08 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:38 pm

While it depends on your definition of "boycott," an argument CAN be made that Biden HAS declared a boycott. The Biden Boycott, however, doesn't involve athletes. It involves US dignitaries. Whether or not that's an "effective" boycott is up to debate....

Others have declared a Biden Boycott, though some are trying to play a semantic game with the word "boycott." Some are citing COVID as a weak excuse, others are using PRC's recent human rights record, including the situation surrounding tennis player Peng Shuai, who has accused a Communist Party official of sexual assault.

To wit:

Biden Boycott: AUS, AUT, BEL, CAN, DEN, EST, JPN, LIT, NED, NZL, SLO, SWE, UK, US.

Edit: Add IND to the diplomatic boycott list, but for a different reason. They're upset about a PLA member who has been getting a lot of pub recently over actions he took in a border skirmish with IND in 2020, including military honors following his wounding, and his service as an Olympic torchbearer....

https://news.yahoo.com/countries-boycot ... p_catchall

https://qz.com/india/2122414/indias-dip ... source=YPL
Boycott is not sending athletes. Screw the politicians.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

This might overlap into the political page.

Commie guard forcibly interrupts a Dutch live remote and physically removes the journalist from the camera as another tries to insert his body in between to obscure the view. SMH....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/beijing-wi ... 21333.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:13 am Women's Hockey

Group A (Group of Death)
GP W OTW L OTL Pts GD Goals For:Against
CAN 4 4 0 0 0 12 +28 33:5
USA 4 3 0 1 0 9 +14 20:6
FIN 4 1 0 3 0 3 -9 10:19
URS 4 1 0 3 0 3 -12 6:18
SUI 4 1 0 3 0 3 -21 6:27

Group B

JPN 4 2 1 0 1 9 +6 13:7
CZE 4 2 0 1 1 7 +2 10:8
SWE 4 2 0 2 0 6 -1 7:8

CHN 4 1 1 2 0 5 0 7:7
DEN 4 1 0 3 0 3 -7 7:14

03 FEB

CAN d. SUI 12-1
USA d. FIN 5-2
CZE d. CHN 3-1
JPN d. SWE 3-1

04 FEB

URS d. SUI 5-2
CHN d. DEN 3-1

05 FEB

CAN d. FIN 11-1
JPN d. DEN 6-2
CZE d. SWE 3-1
USA d. URS 5-0

06 FEB

CHN d. JPN 2-1 SO
USA d. SUI 8-0

07 FEB

DEN d. CZE 3-2
SWE d. CHN 2-1
CAN d. URS 6-1
SUI d. FIN 3-2

08 FEB

JPN d. CZE 3-2 SO
SWE vs. DEN 3-1
CAN d. USA 4-2
FIN d. URS 5-0
Housekeeping

1. Group play will consist of a single round-robin. All of Group A and the top 3 of Group B will move on to the knockout rounds. Group A consists of the Top Five in the 2021 IIHF World Rankings, as determined by combining the results from the 2017-2020 World Championships and the 2018 Winter Olympics. Group B consists of host China, Japan as IIHF #6, and the three winners of regional qualifying tournaments.

2. During group play, three points are available for a regulation-time win, two points for an OT/SO win, one point for an OT/SO loss, and nothing for a regulation-time loss.

3. If two teams are tied after completion of group play, H2H decides the ranking for the knockout rounds. If more than two teams are tied, the following will apply:

a. H2H points.
b. H2H goal differential.
c. H2H gross goals scored.
d. H2H in these categories vs. remaining teams in the group.
e. Place in 2021 IIHF World Ranking.

4. After two pool play games, qualification for the knockout rounds has already been determined, though seeding has not. Rather surprisingly, Sweden and Denmark have been eliminated, while Japan, the Czech Republic, and host China will join all of Group A in the Quarterfinals in some order yet to be determined.

5. Quarterfinals will be held 11-12 FEB. Semifinals will be held 14 FEB. Bronze Medal Game will be held 16 FEB. Gold Medal Game will be held 17 FEB.
Last edited by SuperHornet on Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Men's Hockey

Group A

CAN 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0:0
USA 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0:0
GER 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0:0
CHN 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0:0

Group B

URS 1 1 0 0 0 3 +1 1:0
CZE 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0:0
DEN 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0:0
SUI 1 0 0 1 0 0 -1 0:1

Group C

FIN 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0:0
SWE 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0:0
SVK 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0:0
LAT 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0:0

09 FEB

URS d. SUI 1-0
CZE vs. DEN

10 FEB

USA vs. CHN
CAN vs. GER
SWE vs. LAT
FIN vs. SVK

11 FEB

DEN vs. URS
CZE vs. SUI
SWE vs. SVK
LAT vs. FIN

12 FEB

CAN vs. USA
GER vs. CHN
URS vs. CZE
SUI vs. DEN

13 FEB

CHN vs. CAN
USA vs. GER
SVK vs. LAT
FIN vs. SWE

Housekeeping

1. Group play will consist of a single round-robin. All teams will be ranked 1-12 after group play and will advance to the knockout rounds. The three group winners and the best second-place team gain a bye into the Quarterfinals of the knockout rounds. All other teams will take part as ranked in a play-in round.

2. During group play, three points are available for a regulation-time win, two points for an OT/SO win, one point for an OT/SO loss, and nothing for a regulation-time loss.

3. In-group placing will be subject to these tie-breaking procedures:
a. Points.
b. If two teams are tied, they will be separated by H2H.
c. If more teams are tied:
(1) H2H points.
(2) H2H goal differential.
(3) H2H goals scored.
(4) H2H in these categories vs. remaining team in group.
(5) Place in 2021 IIHF World Ranking.

4. Play-in Round will be held 15 FEB. Quarterfinals will be held 16 FEB. Semifinals will be held 18 FEB. Bronze Medal Game will be held 19 FEB. Gold Medal Game will be held 20 FEB.

4. Post-group play rankings will be determined by:

a. Higher group rank.
b. Higher points.
c. Higher goal differential.
d. Higher goals scored.
e. Higher 2021 IIHF World Ranking.
Last edited by SuperHornet on Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

We FINALLY got our first medal!

Julia Marino with the silver in slopestyle snowboarding. A miracle considering that with multiple falls, she was 28th after the first round. Capping the final with a perfectly nailed frontside double cork 1080 will do that for you, though....

https://sports.yahoo.com/meet-snowboard ... p_catchall

tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

SuperHornet wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:16 am We FINALLY got our first medal!

Julia Marino with the silver in slopestyle snowboarding. A miracle considering that with multiple falls, she was 28th after the first round. Capping the final with a perfectly nailed frontside double cork 1080 will do that for you, though....

https://sports.yahoo.com/meet-snowboard ... p_catchall
Being 28th after one round is not a big deal (sucks but not the end of the world) because they are doing best performance only counts so you can go for it all in each of the rounds and you just need to nail one but she did great. Unfortunately, was in first til the last skiier beat her out.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Skaters get a team Silver and also get a silver in the women's moguls.