NFL, Chargers, City of San Diego Sued...

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

NFL, Chargers, City of San Diego Sued...

Post by SuperHornet »

...on charges of improper departure, including a failure to negotiate in good faith to either build a new stadium or rehab The Murph.

The Rams just settled a similar suit with St. Louis last year. I wonder if a suit is going to be filed over the Raiders as well....

https://news.yahoo.com/nfl-sued-over-ch ... p_catchall

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: NFL, Chargers, City of San Diego Sued...

Post by GannonFan »

Chargers should just pay whatever it is to settle that and be done with San Diego. They're playing in a palace now in SoFi and San Diego has grown so big it basically is just an extension of LA anymore anyway. Rehabbing the Murph would've been a pale comparison to playing where they are now.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:49 am Chargers should just pay whatever it is to settle that and be done with San Diego. They're playing in a palace now in SoFi and San Diego has grown so big it basically is just an extension of LA anymore anyway. Rehabbing the Murph would've been a pale comparison to playing where they are now.
The Chargers are playing second fiddle in SoFi, a la the Clippers sharing with the Lake Show. It was a dumb decision from the get-go....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:49 am Chargers should just pay whatever it is to settle that and be done with San Diego. They're playing in a palace now in SoFi and San Diego has grown so big it basically is just an extension of LA anymore anyway. Rehabbing the Murph would've been a pale comparison to playing where they are now.
Spanos wanted a sweetheart land gift deal like the Padres got. Fortunately the voters were smart enough to tell Spanos to pound sand and he never got his land grant and taxpayer backed stadium. Fuck Spanos and fuck the Chargers, hope the City gets a nice chunk in the settlement.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

SDHornet wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:41 am
Spanos wanted a sweetheart land gift deal like the Padres got. Fortunately the voters were smart enough to tell Spanos to pound sand and he never got his land grant and taxpayer backed stadium. Fuck Spanos and fuck the Chargers, hope the City gets a nice chunk in the settlement.
I don't know. A city WITH an NFL franchise is better than a city WITHOUT one.
Although a MLB franchise may be better for a city considering it has 81 home games vs. 8 or 9 per season.
I would love to see the math on all of that.

San Diego is in a different boat than many cities though. It's a tourist destination. Unlike sayyyyyy...........St. Louis.
An NFL franchise is less important to SD than STL.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:19 am

Although a MLB franchise may be better for a city considering it has 81 home games vs. 8 or 9 per season.

San Diego is in a different boat than many cities though. It's a tourist destination. Unlike sayyyyyy...........St. Louis.
Clark Griswold would disagree. :tothehand:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:45 am

Clark Griswold would disagree. :tothehand:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:59 pm
The Chargers are playing second fiddle in SoFi, a la the Clippers sharing with the Lake Show. It was a dumb decision from the get-go....
It's a big city, and LA will follow whatever team is winning more. Certainly some more long time fans of the Rams there, but at the end of the day, in a couple of years, it won't matter. Chargers needed a stadium, and now they have the best stadium in the league. They weren't going to get that in San Diego. The Murph is a dump any more, in a few years no one will even remember the Chargers played in San Diego.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:07 am
SuperHornet wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:59 pm

It's a big city, and LA will follow whatever team is winning more. Certainly some more long time fans of the Rams there, but at the end of the day, in a couple of years, it won't matter. Chargers needed a stadium, and now they have the best stadium in the league. They weren't going to get that in San Diego. The Murph is a dump any more, in a few years no one will even remember the Chargers played in San Diego.
The Murph has been demolished and SDSU is in the process of building their new stadium. Spanos wanted a new billion dollar stadium at taxpayer expense with the surrounding land lumped in so he can develop it and make money off that too. He didn't get the sweetheart deal and bailed. The City got the better end of the deal.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Yes. SD doesn't need the Chargers in town to keep tourism dollar up.