MLB 2022 Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Re: MLB 2022 Season

Post by AZGrizFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:09 am This past Monday, Munetaka Murakami, a 22-year-old third baseman playing for the Tokyo Yakult Swallows, slugged his 56th home run of the year. With the home run, Murakami broke the legendary Sadaharu Oh's record for the most homers in a season by a Japanese-born player in Nippon Professional Baseball.
That’s just sad. Oh was unreal.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:41 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:09 am This past Monday, Munetaka Murakami, a 22-year-old third baseman playing for the Tokyo Yakult Swallows, slugged his 56th home run of the year. With the home run, Murakami broke the legendary Sadaharu Oh's record for the most homers in a season by a Japanese-born player in Nippon Professional Baseball.
You wouldn't believe how many people on FB wanted to shut me down for claiming that he had the career world record for home runs. "It doesn't count if it doesn't happen in MLB." It's that sort of national chauvinism that's gotten us in major doo-doo in many areas around the world....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:49 pm

You wouldn't believe how many people on FB wanted to shut me down for claiming that he had the career world record for home runs. "It doesn't count if it doesn't happen in MLB." It's that sort of national chauvinism that's gotten us in major doo-doo in many areas around the world....
Don't forget about the Negro League stats, they are counted now. Oscar Charleston is now #2 in career batting average .364, behind Ty Cobb.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

The Tigers move to relevance this season led to a whopping improvement to 4th in the AL Central! Oh well, maybe the new GM can have more success. He does have some of the puzzle pieces in place
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

The Tigers move to relevance this season led to a whopping improvement to 4th in the AL Central! Oh well, maybe the new GM can have more success. He does have some of the puzzle pieces in place
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Well, MLB is the pinnacle of the sport. The best players from around the world come here to play in MLB. You don't see them flocking to the Japanese league (heck, even the best Japanese players leave there and come play in MLB). It's not national chauvinism, it's reality.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:01 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:56 am62 in 22
I'm with those that are calling this the new HR single season record. Bonds was a cheater. McGwire was a cheater. Sosa was a cheater. I don't like Judge because he's a Yankee, but unlike the steroid-backed Yankees at the turn of the 21st century (Clemens, Petite, et al), he looks clean. New record holder in my book.
But Bonds didn't test positive for steroid. True, he admitted to using them.

Evidence points to Bonds and PED's. He was involved with Balco, his personal trainer went to jail for refusing to testify in Bonds trial and other athletes associated with said trainer and Balco, have been found to use PED's.

In testimony, Bonds says he received and used "cream" and "clear" substances from Anderson.

Tetrahydrogestrinone (THG), known by the nickname The Clear, is a synthetic and orally active anabolic–androgenic steroid (AAS) which was never marketed for medical use. It was developed by Patrick Arnold and was used by a number of high-profile athletes such as Marion Jones, Barry Bonds, and Dwain Chambers.

"The cream" is a testosterone-based ointment that is used in conjunction with anabolic steroids such as tetrahydrogestrinone (THG, also known as "the clear") in order to mask doping in professional athletes.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:28 pm

I'm with those that are calling this the new HR single season record. Bonds was a cheater. McGwire was a cheater. Sosa was a cheater. I don't like Judge because he's a Yankee, but unlike the steroid-backed Yankees at the turn of the 21st century (Clemens, Petite, et al), he looks clean. New record holder in my book.

Evidence points to Bonds and PED's. He was involved with Balco, his personal trainer went to jail for refusing to testify in Bonds trial and other athletes associated with said trainer and Balco, have been found to use PED's.

In testimony, Bonds says he received and used "cream" and "clear" substances from Anderson.

Tetrahydrogestrinone (THG), known by the nickname The Clear, is a synthetic and orally active anabolic–androgenic steroid (AAS) which was never marketed for medical use. It was developed by Patrick Arnold and was used by a number of high-profile athletes such as Marion Jones, Barry Bonds, and Dwain Chambers.

"The cream" is a testosterone-based ointment that is used in conjunction with anabolic steroids such as tetrahydrogestrinone (THG, also known as "the clear") in order to mask doping in professional athletes.
So basically saying "I used steroids" is not as damning as testing for steroids? Did they even test for steroids when he was playing, I thought there was no testing at the time. Regardless, there's zero doubt that he did steroids. He even admitted he did it to keep up with other steroid users.

I don't get all these baseball writers going out of their way to say Bonds is still the HR champ, season and all time. Some nitwit said because there was a color barrier in the past then anything is good now (funny, I don't remember Hank Aaron benefitting from a color barrier). Another said basically everyone was using steroids (by everyone I assume he meant all Yankees and a bunch of other players) so therefore, compared to his contemporaries, Bonds deserves the title. But that's perverse - do we still consider Lance Armstrong the winner of all those Tour de Frances (which we don't) simply because so many people in cycling were also doping? Only in baseball do people bend over backwards to defend cheating.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:38 pm

So basically saying "I used steroids" is not as damning as testing for steroids? Did they even test for steroids when he was playing, I thought there was no testing at the time. Regardless, there's zero doubt that he did steroids. He even admitted he did it to keep up with other steroid users.

I don't get all these baseball writers going out of their way to say Bonds is still the HR champ, season and all time. Some nitwit said because there was a color barrier in the past then anything is good now (funny, I don't remember Hank Aaron benefitting from a color barrier). Another said basically everyone was using steroids (by everyone I assume he meant all Yankees and a bunch of other players) so therefore, compared to his contemporaries, Bonds deserves the title. But that's perverse - do we still consider Lance Armstrong the winner of all those Tour de Frances (which we don't) simply because so many people in cycling were also doping? Only in baseball do people bend over backwards to defend cheating.
Marion Jones didn't come out as good as Bonds with her Balco association.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:51 pm
GannonFan wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:38 pm

How do you mean? There were rumors she was doping going all the way back to high school. She had herself a very nice career in spite of the doping.

And even among the dopers, there's always a pecking order. Like I said, Lance Armstrong surely wasn't the only one doping in cycling - he had tons of other competitors doing the same - in the end he was the best of the dopers. If Barry Bonds wants to be called the King of the Steroid abusers in baseball you wouldn't have any argument from me. :coffee:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:32 pm

Well, MLB is the pinnacle of the sport. The best players from around the world come here to play in MLB. You don't see them flocking to the Japanese league (heck, even the best Japanese players leave there and come play in MLB). It's not national chauvinism, it's reality.
If that's the case, GF, then why does Baseball-Reference.com recognize Negro League stats? The second-best career batting average (behind Ty Cobb) is a Negro League player....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:27 am

How do you mean? There were rumors she was doping going all the way back to high school. She had herself a very nice career in spite of the doping.

And even among the dopers, there's always a pecking order. Like I said, Lance Armstrong surely wasn't the only one doping in cycling - he had tons of other competitors doing the same - in the end he was the best of the dopers. If Barry Bonds wants to be called the King of the Steroid abusers in baseball you wouldn't have any argument from me. :coffee:
She was ordered to return her Olympic medals, Bonds had no penalties other than a delayed hall of fame entrance. He will be in Cooperstown some day. Many people I communicate with think Bonds used a topical clear cream, not the Clear and Cream combination that he admitted to. Others say there is no evidence he used steroids, even though he admitted to it. Social media is a crazy thing.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Mets tie up series with Padres!!!!!!
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:27 am

She was suspicious of Flo Jo's 10.4/21.3
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Judge was all over social media after making history
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Who can challenge Judge's 62?????
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

dal4018 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:29 pm

Aaron Judge can challenge Aaron Judge.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

American League Wild Card Series

5 Seattle d. 4 Toronto 2-0 (4-0, 10-9)

3 Cleveland d. 6 Tampa Bay 2-0 (2-1, 1-0)

National League Wild Card Series

4 New York Mets tied with 5 San Diego 1-1 (1-7, 7-3, SD at NYM 1607 PDT today ESPN)

6 Philadelphia d. 3 St. Louis 2-0 (6-3, 2-0)

American League Division Series
All Games on TBS

1 Houston vs. 5 Seattle (SEA at HOU TBD TUE 11 OCT, SEA at HOU TBD THU 13 OCT, HOU at SEA TBD SAT 15 OCT, HOU at SEA TBD SUN 16 OCT (if necessary), SEA at HOU TBD MON 17 OCT (if necessary))

2 New York Yankees vs. 3 Cleveland (CLE at NYY TBD TUE 11 OCT, CLE at NYY TBD THU 13 OCT, NYY at CLE TBD SAT 15 OCT, NYY at CLE TBD SUN 16 OCT (if necessary), CLE at NYY TBD MON 17 OCT (if necessary))

National League Division Series

1 Los Angeles vs. NYM-SD winner (TBD at LAD TBD TUE 11 OCT Fox/FS1, TBD at LAD TBD TUE 12 OCT Fox/FS1, LAD at TBD TBD FRI 14 OCT FS1, LAD at TBD TBD SAT 15 OCT (if necessary) FS1, LAD at TBD TBD SUN 16 OCT (if necessary) FS1)

2 Atlanta vs. 6 Philadelphia (PHI at ATL TBD TUE 11 OCT Fox/FS1, PHI at AT TBD WED 12 OCT Fox/FS1, ATL at PHI TBD FRI 14 OCT FS1, ATL at PHI TBD SAT 15 OCT (if necessary) FS1, ATL at PHI TBD SUN 16 OCT (if necessary) FS1)

American League Championship Series
All Games on TBS

HOU-SEA winner vs. NYY-CLE winner (WED 19 OCT, THU 20 OCT, SAT 22 OCT, SUN 23 OCT, MON 24 OCT (if necessary), TUE 25 OCT (if necessary, WED 26 OCT (if necessary))

National League Championship Series

LAD-TBD winner vs. ATL-PHI winner (TUE 18 OCT Fox/FS1, WED 19 OCT Fox/FS1, FRI 21 OCT FS1, SAT 22 OCT Fox/FS1, SUN 23 OCT FS1 (if necessary), MON 24 OCT FS1 (if necessary), TUE 25 OCT Fox/FS1 (if necessary))

World Series
All Games on Fox

ALCS winner vs. NLCS winner (FRI 28 OCT, SAT 29 OCT, MON 31 OCT, TUE 01 NOV, WED 02 NOV (if necessary), FRI 04 NOV (if necessary), SAT 05 NOV (if necessary))

dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:07 am
dal4018 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:29 pm
Aaron Judge can challenge Aaron Judge.
A young version lol too bad Stanton is not in his early '20s
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Phillies up 7-1 in just the 5th inning right now of Game 1 against the Braves. Phillies have a little mojo right now.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Phils hold on for a 7-6 Game 1 win. Now just 10 wins away from a parade in Philly.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Astros pitcher is out for the playoffs after he broke his finger slugging a locker after the season finale against PHI. Why did he do that? He was p!$$ed off that he'd given up an RBI hit to his little brother.

Anger issues. SMH....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/astros-p-p ... 11434.html

AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Astros vs Phillies may be a fun World Series, as both teams are rolling right now.

Philadelphia sports fans must be happy right now, with three teams contending for championships.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Good luck Gannonfan!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

It's a fun time in Philly right now. So much sports to watch basically every day. Almost getting exhausting. Happy that the WS doesn't start until Friday night, gives everyone a chance to catch their breaths. Harper's HR yesterday was like a real life Roy Hobbs moment. Just another crazy game in a post season full of crazy games. This Phillies team is so likeable, from how they play to even how they celebrate in the locker room. Couple that with an Eagles team that looks like they can do anything they want and it's a good time to be a Philly sports fan (don't worry about the Sixers, October basketball doesn't mean anything).