MLB 2022 Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

MLB 2022 Season

Post by CAA Flagship »

[tweet][/tweet]
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: MLB 2022 Season

Post by Gil Dobie »

From a friend of mine.

Well, I believe in the sacrifice bunt, the double switch, closers, opening ballparks so fans can watch batting practice of both teams and take pregame infield.
I believe that most sports talk radio is 3 minutes of content spread over 3 hours and that there’s too much emphasis on Sabermetrics.
I believe most every player and manager talk in cliches, and for them it is about the money, not the ring.
I believe that hot dogs should be hot and cold beer cold.
I believe that a scoreboard should not tell a fan when to make noise.
I believe that you should be able to talk to the person sitting next to you at a ballgame without yelling.
I believe that World Series records should stand alone, and that Mickey Mantle holds the home run record at 18 not Manny Ramirez at 29 for post season.
I believe that players should make as much money as owners are willing to pay them (wait a minute, that’s happening, never mind).
I believe that every broadcaster should know the rules of baseball instead of guessing while on the air.
I believe that Opening Day is a national holiday, and that baseball should retire every team’s uniform number 3, 5 and 21 to recognize Babe Ruth, Hank Greenberg and Roberto Clemente.
I believe in baseball's antitrust exemption and that the post season playoffs are too long.
I believe that Major League Baseball should be played around the world and that Cooperstown is the spiritual home of baseball.
I believe that Roger Maris is the single season home run record holder and Hank Aaron is the career home run record holder.
And I agree with Crash Davis and believe in long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I can go with most of that, Gil, particularly the old school offense stuff. I also believe in allowing a pitcher to finish what he starts in most cases, thereby eliminating most losses caused by bullpen blowups....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

I believe that MLB should ban goggle celebrations for anything before the LCS's.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:38 am I believe that MLB should ban goggle celebrations for anything before the LCS's.
I'm in the middle here. OK to celebrate winning the division and/or earning a trip to the playoffs. It's a long season and getting into the post season is an accomplishment. After that, winning a pennant and World Series only.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:15 am
89Hen wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:38 am I believe that MLB should ban goggle celebrations for anything before the LCS's.
I'm in the middle here. OK to celebrate winning the division and/or earning a trip to the playoffs. It's a long season and getting into the post season is an accomplishment. After that, winning a pennant and World Series only.
So you're OK with a team finishing third in their division whooping it up because they made the play-in game?

BTW, I think the compromise is the media should be banned from the locker room until LCS's. Problem solved.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29

Post by CAA Flagship »

89Hen wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:15 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:15 am

So you're OK with a team finishing third in their division whooping it up because they made the play-in game?

BTW, I think the compromise is the media should be banned from the locker room until LCS's. Problem solved.
Yeah, I'm OK with that. The goal is to get into the post-season, and if after being part of everyday team oriented functions for just over 7 straight months, you achieve that goal, then I think a celebration is OK.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

This article covers something I think is epically stupid, but it sure seems to be true: the death of the stolen base. Baseball is so unwatchable these days I just can't stand it....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/it ... d=msedgntp

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Welp, we’ve lost four series so far. Way to go, fellas. :jack:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Deal has been reached.

Player Reps voted 26-4 to accept. Executive Committee (all highly paid, 5 Scott Boras Clients) voted 8-0 to reject. Players win.
:thumb:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

And the fans lose.

Diluted “everyone gets a trophy” 12-team playoffs.

Corporate logos on unis, like NASCAR.

Universal DH.

As my sportswriter BIL says, see you in your $120 nosebleed seats with your $12 Busch Lights.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:40 pm And the fans lose.

Universal DH.

As my sportswriter BIL says, see you in your $120 nosebleed seats with your $12 Busch Lights.
Well, the fans certainly lose if they can't find a way to fix what's wrong with the game - too slow and too boring. When at bats are either strikeouts or home runs, it's not terribly fun to watch. The NL getting the DH just takes one more interesting wrinkle out of the game. And expanding the playoffs is supposed to keep people interested in their team, but it runs into the problem that come October, baseball, even postseason baseball, takes a backseat to the NFL. Baseball will continue to be a nice way to hang out and enjoy a warm summer night at the ballpark, but that doesn't mean you have to watch what's happening on the field.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

:?:

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Universal DH.

I fully agree with you, Ivy. The last thing I want is baseball unis looking like Premier League jerseys. The DH whomps, at least the way the rule is currently written. There's absolutely no legitimate reason why a .350-hitting pitcher should have to take a seat so a .150-hitting shortstop can strike out simply because he changed leagues. Too many teams, too many playoff teams. And I wouldn't be surprised to see $12 A&Ws....

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:57 pm

Universal DH.

I fully agree with you, Ivy. The last thing I want is baseball unis looking like Premier League jerseys. The DH whomps, at least the way the rule is currently written. There's absolutely no legitimate reason why a .350-hitting pitcher should have to take a seat so a .150-hitting shortstop can strike out simply because he changed leagues. Too many teams, too many playoff teams. And I wouldn't be surprised to see $12 A&Ws....
The DH is optional, you don't have to use it. The pitcher can still hit if you want him to hit. Just means all your pitchers in the game have to hit. And since baseball is pretty much a game of relief pitching anymore, you're going to need a lot of .350 hitting pitchers.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ohtani is the only pitcher that has been proven to be a reliable slugger.

Looking forward to baseball, finally. Really missed going to Spring Training this year.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:48 pm Ohtani is the only pitcher that has been proven to be a reliable slugger.

Looking forward to baseball, finally. Really missed going to Spring Training this year.
Not true.

Ruth, Ruffing, Lemon, Spahn, Drysdale, Gibson, Johnson, Young, Bumgarner, Kaat, Newcombe, and Wise were all pretty good with the stick....

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:08 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:48 pm Ohtani is the only pitcher that has been proven to be a reliable slugger.

Not true.

Ruth, Ruffing, Lemon, Spahn, Drysdale, Gibson, Johnson, Young, Bumgarner, Kaat, Newcombe, and Wise were all pretty good with the stick....
I bet the ones who are still alive on that list aren't good hitters anymore. :coffee:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:15 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:08 pm

Not true.

I bet the ones who are still alive on that list aren't good hitters anymore. :coffee:
There was also a guy mainly with AZ that was pretty good, but I forget his name....

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:56 pm
GannonFan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:15 pm

There was also a guy mainly with AZ that was pretty good, but I forget his name....
I said IS versus was. And yes they were good hitters. You missed Lefty O'Doul. Began his career as a pitcher, converted to a hitter, lifetime average of .349.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:54 pm
:?:
Beer and champagne spraying, plastic sheets on the lockers, players wearing goggles... It's a joke. But as we said later in the thread, the easier answer is to ban cameras and reporters from the locker room if they really insist on celebrating a one game WC win like a bunch of screaming monkeys.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

So what you are saying is we will likely never see something like this again

phpBB [video]
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Key players in the Twins/Yankees trade, Josh Donaldson and Gary Sanchez.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:24 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:57 pm

The DH is optional, you don't have to use it. The pitcher can still hit if you want him to hit. Just means all your pitchers in the game have to hit. And since baseball is pretty much a game of relief pitching anymore, you're going to need a lot of .350 hitting pitchers.
That's another problem that makes baseball unwatchable. You finish what you start. That's the ideal. The beginning of the end came with that dummy Bruce Bochy and his "three-headed monster," the idea of a "relief team" of pitchers to cover the 7th, 8th, and 9th, pitching one inning each. Under that construct, you get worn out bullpens blowing leads, and closers who can't handle multiple innings like Bruce Sutter.

The DH also loses the fun of the double switch in most cases (there ARE still a few AL managers left who can do that, but most don't bother). It would work better if the rule were re-written to reflect the softball DP, which can be used for ANY position on the field, but even that would be too much for me....

AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Carlos Correa to the Twins for nice money. Seems like a smart move by the Twins, if he stays healthy. Correa is 27 years old, and the contract is only for 3 years.

Nick Castellanos to the Phillies. For nice money as well. Good bat, but he was a fielding liability in Detroit. In his defense, they kept switching his position around in order to keep his bat in the lineup. He should be good enough as a corner outfielder.