2022 Motorsports Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: 2022 Motorsports Thread

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:23 am
93henfan wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:35 pm

It sure is, and for a team with the resources that Mercedes has, it's inexcusable to be putting a car that bad on the track.

Watching Hamilton's (and Russell's) helmets bouncing the entire length of every straight once the car is up to speed looks downright painful. It's amazing they're able to physically finish races.

MB-AMG (and I) can turn the focus to 2023 now. They are toast.

OUCH
phpBB [video]
There are dozens of examples, but there was one turn that Hamilton came out of and it looked like the back of the the car just bounced around the curve. That's got to be scary.
Yeah amazing he is still able to drive it. Basically all that bouncing impacts how hard they can take the corners, thus they aren't able to keep pace with the pack leaders.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:33 pm
Ibanez wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:23 am

There are dozens of examples, but there was one turn that Hamilton came out of and it looked like the back of the the car just bounced around the curve. That's got to be scary.
Yeah amazing he is still able to drive it. Basically all that bouncing impacts how hard they can take the corners, thus they aren't able to keep pace with the pack leaders.
I would wager that he's probably in pain after a race due to all of that bouncing.

What's interesting is that Russell is performing much better than Hamilton in the same car. :coffee:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:13 am
SDHornet wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:33 pm

I would wager that he's probably in pain after a race due to all of that bouncing.

What's interesting is that Russell is performing much better than Hamilton in the same car. :coffee:
Yeah, it's obvious that Hamilton doesn't know how to drive. I suspected this for the last fifteen years while he was winning championships for two different constructors. I was just waiting for confirmation. As we can now all plainly see, he has no talent.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:26 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:13 am

Yeah, it's obvious that Hamilton doesn't know how to drive. I suspected this for the last fifteen years while he was winning championships for two different constructors. I was just waiting for confirmation. As we can now all plainly see, he has no talent.
I didn't imply or elude to that at all. Hamilton is the GOAT is not a contender for the GOAT.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 022-05-02/
Volkswagen's (VOWG_p.DE) premium brands Audi and Porsche will join Formula One after convincing the German automaking group that the move will bring in more money than it will cost, VW Chief Executive Herbert Diess said on Monday.

Discussions by the board of directors about the two brands' plans had created some divisions, said Diess at an event in Wolfsburg, where the German carmaker is headquartered.

But ultimately the brands, which next to VW's China business are the group's most important income suppliers, made the case that they would pull in more money for Wolfsburg with a Formula One commitment than without one, according to Diess.
:coffee: :coffee:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:32 am https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 022-05-02/
Volkswagen's (VOWG_p.DE) premium brands Audi and Porsche will join Formula One after convincing the German automaking group that the move will bring in more money than it will cost, VW Chief Executive Herbert Diess said on Monday.

Discussions by the board of directors about the two brands' plans had created some divisions, said Diess at an event in Wolfsburg, where the German carmaker is headquartered.

But ultimately the brands, which next to VW's China business are the group's most important income suppliers, made the case that they would pull in more money for Wolfsburg with a Formula One commitment than without one, according to Diess.
:coffee: :coffee:
Great news. I loved when the Audi R10 TDI was dominating LeMans. I don't know why BMW doesn't come back. They all race IMSA. Granted, the costs are significantly less than F1.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

How US became the top fanbase for Formula 1, after years of not caring
https://nypost.com/2022/05/07/how-formu ... o-netflix/

They ought to have included the decline of NASCAR..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:57 am How US became the top fanbase for Formula 1, after years of not caring

Didn't read it, but I gained interest due to the Netflix show Drive to Survive. Probably would have never gotten into F1 without it. Oh and also Checo being signed by RB helped keep me on board.

Oh and how boring was that Miami GP? Total snooze fest. Didn't get the boats in the fake water thing. Like, why?
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SDHornet wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:02 pm
BDKJMU wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:57 am How US became the top fanbase for Formula 1, after years of not caring

Didn't read it, but I gained interest due to the Netflix show Drive to Survive. Probably would have never gotten into F1 without it. Oh and also Checo being signed by RB helped keep me on board.

Oh and how boring was that Miami GP? Total snooze fest. Didn't get the boats in the fake water thing. Like, why?
The Netflix show was listed as the #1 reason for the huge increase in interest in the US.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:02 pm

I stopped watching Miami around half way through. It's got to be as boring as Monoco. :twocents:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Looks like Merc got the proposing issue solved. Haas with a nice quali today, we'll see how they throw it away tomorrow.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SDHornet wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:58 pm Looks like Merc got the proposing issue solved. Haas with a nice quali today, we'll see how they throw it away tomorrow.
And K-Mag runs into Hamilton on lap 1. :lol:

Hamilton looked good. He would have challenged for he podium if Haas didn't mess it up. Looks like Merc will be in contention for podiums from here on out. Too bad it took them a third of the season to get there. Would have been fun to see 3 teams battling it out for the top.

On to boring ass Monaco. Yay.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:08 pm
SDHornet wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:58 pm Looks like Merc got the proposing issue solved. Haas with a nice quali today, we'll see how they throw it away tomorrow.

Hamilton looked good. He would have challenged for he podium if Haas didn't mess it up. Looks like Merc will be in contention for podiums from here on out. Too bad it took them a third of the season to get there. Would have been fun to see 3 teams battling it out for the top.

I didn't follow this last race but I saw something about Checco not following orders (or something like that). Haven't read about it yet.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:25 am
SDHornet wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:08 pm

I didn't follow this last race but I saw something about Checco not following orders (or something like that). Haven't read about it yet.
Meh. Checo wasn't happy he was ordered to give way to a faster Max. To be fair to Checo, he didn't go off the track and rightfully was where he was, but he had a few laps to pass Russel and couldn't. Keep in mind Checo is in a contract year, could just be looking for leverage for more pay. Checo will be a good teammate and soldier on.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Good to see Checo win a rain impacted Monaco. :clap:

RB came through on the strategy and LeClerc chokes again in his home race. You hate to see it. :lol:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

If you like wrecks, this was a good weekend of racing for you. A Monaco car literally broke in half, and a NASCAR broke an axle, causing a tire to go beneath the car and cause it to flip 4 1/2 times, ultimately landing on its top. I was glad to see all affected drivers walk away. Not happy that that jerk Blaney took out 13 cars, including William Byron's. At the end, though, I was happy that a good guy like Denny Hamlin held off that jerk Kyle Busch. While I was rooting for Max Verstappen in Monaco and disappointed that he didn't win, I was happy to see that jerk Hamilton farther down the chart than he's used to. I was disappointed to see a good guy like Scott Dixon get screwed at the end with a stupid speeding ticket. After he was done, I was rooting for good guys like Tony Kanaan and Helio Castroneves, but Ericksson had a really good race, and I haven't heard anything about HIM being a jerk like Hamilton, Busch, Blaney, and Logano. A good day of racing overall, and proof that at least some of the recent safety initiatives are bearing fruit (the rollover could easily have killed people in the stands had that broken axle not had a tire tether attached and functioning). Lots of excitement, and the jerks were held down (for the most part).

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

RB extends Checo through 2024. :clap:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

I haven't watched the last 2 or 3 races...been so busy or away on Sunday mornings. I'll have to watch Monaco. I read a headline that a car was cut in half..? And there are more FIA shenanigan's.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:34 am I haven't watched the last 2 or 3 races...been so busy or away on Sunday mornings. I'll have to watch Monaco. I read a headline that a car was cut in half..? And there are more FIA shenanigan's.
Mic spun out, hit a barrier broadside and the tail broke off. Announcers were saying the new cars are designed to break like that since the Grosjean crash in the desert a few years back (not sure I buy that but ok).

Regarding FIA "shenanigans", Ferrari complained that RB "didn't stay to the right" of the pit exit striping when leaving after a pit stop. Footage clearly shows RB didn't cross the pit lane exit striping therefore no rule was broken and no penalty issued.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

SDHornet wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:22 pm
Ibanez wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:34 am I haven't watched the last 2 or 3 races...been so busy or away on Sunday mornings. I'll have to watch Monaco. I read a headline that a car was cut in half..? And there are more FIA shenanigan's.
Mic spun out, hit a barrier broadside and the tail broke off. Announcers were saying the new cars are designed to break like that since the Grosjean crash in the desert a few years back (not sure I buy that but ok).

Regarding FIA "shenanigans", Ferrari complained that RB "didn't stay to the right" of the pit exit striping when leaving after a pit stop. Footage clearly shows RB didn't cross the pit lane exit striping therefore no rule was broken and no penalty issued.
It is part of the energy absorption design protocol which helps lessen the impact to driver. Basically like a big crumple zone.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Double DNF for Ferrari at Baku who now has some serious reliability questions to answer. RB goes 1 - 2 and will run away with this if Ferrari can't right the ship. Merc is back in it if Ferrari keeps faltering. Lewis had a hell of a race. McLaren has to be the most disappointing midfield team of the season.

Short turn around to Canada this weekend.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Hamilton can't even sniff Al Unser's jock....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Formula 1
Canadian Grand Prix
at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
Montreal, QUE

1. NED Max Emilian Verstappen, Red Bull 1:36:21.757
2. ESP Carlos Sainz Vazquez de Castro, Ferrari, +0.993
3. GBR Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton, Mercedes, +7.006
4. GBR George William Russell, Mercedes, +12.313
5. MON Charles Marc Herve Perceval LeClerc, Ferrari, +15.168

Pole: Max Emilian Verstappen, Red Bull, 1:21.299
Fastest Lap: Carlos Sainz Vazquez de Castro, Ferrari, 1:15.749 on Lap 63

Post-race Standings

Drivers

1. NED Max Emilian Verstappen, Red Bull, 175
2. MEX Sergio Perez, Red Bull, 129
3. MON Charles Marc Herve Perceval LeClerc, Ferrari, 126
4. GBR George William Russell, Mercedes, 111
5. ESP Carlos Sainz Vazquez de Castro, 102

Constructors

1. AUT Red Bull 304
2. ITA Ferrari 228
3. GER Mercedes 188
4. GBR McLaren-Mercedes 65
5. FRA Alpine-Renault 59

IndyCar

Off this week

Standings

Drivers

1. SWE Marcus Thorbjorn Ericsson, Chip Ganassi Racing, 293
2. AUS William Steven "Will" Power, Team Penske, 266
3. USA Josef Nicolai Newgarden, Team Penske, 261
4. MEX Patricio Pato O'Ward Junco, Arrow McLaren SP, 248
5. ESP Alex Palou Montalvo, Chip Ganassi Racing, 246

Manufacturer

1. Chevrolet, 678
2. Honda, 618

NASCAR

Off this week

Standings

Drivers

1. USA William Clyde "Chase" Elliott, Hendrick Motorsports, 1 win, 536 (Projected Playoff Position 2)
2. USA Ross L. Chastain, Trackhouse Racing Team, 2 wins, 520 (Projected Playoff Position 1)
3. USA Kyle Thomas Busch, Joe Gibbs Racing, 1 win, 513 (Projected Playoff Position 5)
4. USA Ryan Michael Blaney, Team Penske, 511 (Projected Playoff Position 8)
5. USA Joseph Thomas "Joey" Logano, Team Penske, 2 wins, 506 Projected Playoff Position 3)
6. USA Martin Lee Truex, Jr., Joe Gibbs Racing, 481 (Projected Playoff Position 10)
7. USA Kyle Miyata Larson, Hendrick Motorsports, 1 win, 476 (Projected Playoff Position 7)
8. USA William McComas Byron, Jr., Hendrick Motorsports, 2 wins, 466 (Projected Playoff Position 4)
9. USA Alex Michael Bowman, Hendrick Motorsports, 1 win, 460 (Projected Playoff Position 9)
10. USA Christopher David Bell, Joe Gibbs Racing, 444 (Projected Playoff Position 15)
11. USA Aric Michael Almirola, Stewart-Haas Racing, 423 (Projected Playoff Position 16)
12. USA Kevin Michael Harvick, Stewart-Haas Racing, 416 (Projected Playoff Position 17/OUT)
13. USA Chase David Wayne Briscoe, Stewart-Haas Racing, 1 win, 386 (Projected Playoff Position 13)
14. USA Tyler George Reddick, Richard Childress Racing, 381 (Projected Playoff Position 18/OUT)
15. USA Austin Reed Dillon, Richard Childress Racing, 376 (Projected Playoff Position 19/OUT)
16. USA Erik Benjamin Jones, Petty GMS Motorsports, 368 (Projected Playoff Position 20/OUT)
17. MEX Daniel Alejandro Suarez Garza, Trackhouse Racing Team, 1 win, 366 (Projected Playoff Position 12)
18. USA Austin Louis Cindric (R), Team Penske, 1 win, 362 (Projected Playoff Position 14)
19. USA Kurt Thomas Busch, 23XI Racing, 1 win, 355 (Projected Playoff Position 11)
20. USA Michael Christopher McDowell, Front Row Motorsports, 330 (Projected Playoff Position 21/OUT)
21. USA James Dennis Alan "Denny" Hamlin, Joe Gibbs Racing, 2 wins, 325 (Projected Playoff Position 6)

Manufacturers

1. Chevrolet, 8 wins, 582
2. Ford, 4 wins, 541
3. Toyota, 4 wins, 540

NHRA
at Thunder Valley Nationals
Bristol, TN

Top Fuel

Justin Ashley d. Shawn Langdon

Funny Car

Ron Capps d. Tim Wilkerson

Pro Stock

Aaron Stanfield d. Ericka Enders

Pro Stock Motorcycle

Jerry Savoie d. Angelle Sampey

Super Stock

Mike Crutchfield d. L. Scott Libersher

Stock Eliminator

Daren Poole-Adams d. Todd Ewing

Super Comp

Shawn Langdon d. John Labbous

Super Gas

Chris Lewis d. Ausby Brewington

Top Sportsman

Tyler Caheely d. Cole Prejean

Factory Stock Showdown

David Barton d. Stephen Bell

Street Legal

Jason Nelson d. John Nelson

Superstock

Jeff Longhany d. John Barber

Post-Race Standings
Unofficial

Top Fuel

1. Brittany Force, 724
2. Mike Salinas, 699
3. Justin Ashley, 672
4. Steve Torrence, 653
5. Austin Prock, 459

Funny Car

1. Matt Hagan, 854
2. Robert Hight, 812
3. Ron Capps, 748
4. John Force, 588
5. Cruz Pedregon, 507

Pro Stock

1. Ericka Enders, 690
2. Aaron Stanfield, 607
3. Kyle Koretsky, 482
4. Dallas Glenn, 439
5. Greg Anderson, 401

Pro Stock Motorcycle

1. Steve Johnson, 453
2. Karen Stoffer, 374
3. Matt Smith, 326
4. Angie Smith, 320
5. Angelle Sampey, 314

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Not much action at the Canadian GP. Pretty amazing that Max was able to hold off Sainz with DRS in the last 10 laps.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Crazy goings on at the NHRA event in Norwalk, OH, today. Ron Capps had an engine failure, but that turned out to be a GOOD thing because it slowed him down enough to avoid and get around his opponent, who had a similar failure right after he did, but couldn't stay in control and crossed the line, almost slamming Capps into the wall. As it was, Capps got around him and crossed the finish line first to claim the win, MUCH slower than expected for a Funny Car....