Baseball Hall of Fame 2021 Golden Era Vote

All other sports including pro, high school and more!

Your Selections from the Golden Era List - Select up to 10

Poll ended at Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:44 am

Roger Maris
21%
Dick Allen
11%
Ken Boyer
No votes
Gil Hodges
16%
Jim Kaat
16%
Minnie Miñoso
5%
Danny Murtaugh
No votes
Tony Oliva
13%
Billy Pierce
No votes
Maury Wills
18%

Total votes: 38

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Re: Baseball Hall of Fame 2021 Golden Era Vote

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:06 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:21 pm

They don't have complete stats for the Negro League yet. Plus other things came into play.

Hall of Famer Orlando Cepeda called him ‘the Jackie Robinson for all Latinos.

“He wasn’t in the starting lineup for Cleveland because they had too many Black players. There was this unofficial quota, period, in baseball that you can’t start more Black players than White players,” explained University of Illinois historian Dr. Adrian Burgos, who served on the Hall of Fame’s 2006 Negro League election committee. “There’s all these practices that limited his opportunities. Yet, when he got the opportunity, he shined.”

From 1951 to 1960, Miñoso made nine All-Star teams, won three gold gloves, and finished top four in MVP voting four times.

“We are talking about a guy who very well might have been the second best player in the American League in the ’50s behind Mickey Mantle,” opined national columnist for The Athletic Joe Posnanski, “He was in that mix. He was that good of a player.”
Convince me that he's any different from Amos Otis (who's not in the HOF either). I agree, Minnie has the intangibles (came out of the Negro Leagues, was the Jackie Robinson for Cubans, etc), and he had a very good career. But again, this is the HOF, it should be about what you did, not what your story is.
That would take out half the Hall of Fame, starting with Tinker to Evers to Chance. Otis average is 20 points lower, playing against pitchers throwing from a lowered mound after the 1968 season. Minnie had 4 seasons over 100 RBI, same as Mantle. Otis also played a 162 game schedule, yet he only drove in 100 runs once, and scored 100 runs once, to 5 times for Minoso. Minoso struck out 584 times with about the same number of plate appearances as Otis, with 1008 k's. Minoso's WAR is also higher. Who was a better player in the 1950's, in the American League? Ted Williams batting, Mickey Mantle, Yogi?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:25 pm
GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:06 pm

Convince me that he's any different from Amos Otis (who's not in the HOF either). I agree, Minnie has the intangibles (came out of the Negro Leagues, was the Jackie Robinson for Cubans, etc), and he had a very good career. But again, this is the HOF, it should be about what you did, not what your story is.
That would take out half the Hall of Fame, starting with Tinker to Evers to Chance. Otis average is 20 points lower, playing against pitchers throwing from a lowered mound after the 1968 season. Minnie had 4 seasons over 100 RBI, same as Mantle. Otis also played a 162 game schedule, yet he only drove in 100 runs once, and scored 100 runs once, to 5 times for Minoso. Minoso struck out 584 times with about the same number of plate appearances as Otis, with 1008 k's. Minoso's WAR is also higher. Who was a better player in the 1950's, in the American League? Ted Williams batting, Mickey Mantle, Yogi?
Al Kaline was pretty good too in the '50's. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Kaat, Oliva, Hodges and Minoso to enter the Hall.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:38 pm Kaat, Oliva, Hodges and Minoso to enter the Hall.
Its about time heard this on sports radio WFAN NY!!!!!!!
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Dick Allen was boned again. By one lousy vote. :ohno:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

Where did Marris wind up in the voting?
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

This is clearly the hall of mediocrity.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Winterborn wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:20 am Where did Marris wind up in the voting?
I didn't see what his vote was.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

89Hen wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:34 am This is clearly the hall of mediocrity.
What's mediocre about the one's they selected? IMO, mediocre would be Len Dykstra, or Travis Fryman, or Larry Bowa, good players, but not great like the 4 that just went in the hall.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:19 pm
89Hen wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:34 am This is clearly the hall of mediocrity.
What's mediocre about the one's they selected? IMO, mediocre would be Len Dykstra, or Travis Fryman, or Larry Bowa, good players, but not great like the 4 that just went in the hall.
Eh, we've had this discussion. Hodges was an easy pick, the others are good players but don't really measure up to what the HOF has normally been. We're just looking for ways to add more people to get more press. Not the end of the world, certainly, but these guys had been looked over countlessly over the past several decades and found wanting every time, until now of course.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:47 am

Eh, we've had this discussion. Hodges was an easy pick, the others are good players but don't really measure up to what the HOF has normally been. We're just looking for ways to add more people to get more press. Not the end of the world, certainly, but these guys had been looked over countlessly over the past several decades and found wanting every time, until now of course.
:rule:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

We had players of less renown, in the Hall long before this class. There are many pitchers with less wins than Kaat, and none with 16 consecutive Gold Gloves. 17 more wins and he's a shoe-in. Won 20 games twice with a mediocre White Sox team. Kaat had more wins, more 20 win seasons and a better era than Mike Mussina.

Oliva won 3 batting titles, lead the league in hits 5 times, lifetime average of .304, 8 time all-star, gold glove winner

Minoso 9 time all-star, 3 time gold glove winner, lifetime .299 average. Had 100 RBI's 4 times, just like Mickey Mantle.

Compare them to Joe Tinker, Johnny Evers, Rick Ferrell, Roger Bresnahan, Bill Mazeroski, Pee Wee Reese, Ozzie Smith, Joe Gordon, Enos Slaughter, Dave Bancroft.

Compare Kaat to Jim Bunning or Mike Mussina.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:56 am

We had players of less renown, in the Hall long before this class. There are many pitchers with less wins than Kaat, and none with 16 consecutive Gold Gloves. 17 more wins and he's a shoe-in. Won 20 games twice with a mediocre White Sox team. Kaat had more wins, more 20 win seasons and a better era than Mike Mussina.

Oliva won 3 batting titles, lead the league in hits 5 times, lifetime average of .304, 8 time all-star, gold glove winner

Minoso 9 time all-star, 3 time gold glove winner, lifetime .299 average. Had 100 RBI's 4 times, just like Mickey Mantle.

Compare them to Joe Tinker, Johnny Evers, Rick Ferrell, Roger Bresnahan, Bill Mazeroski, Pee Wee Reese, Ozzie Smith, Joe Gordon, Enos Slaughter, Dave Bancroft.

Compare Kaat to Jim Bunning or Mike Mussina.
I agree, we should just let anyone in, less arguments. :thumb: