2021-22 NBA Basketball Season Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: 2021-22 NBA Basketball Season Thread

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:49 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:20 pm
Thybulle looks great, I could see him stepping it up. Will Simmons lose value for a trade by sitting out, and the 76ers still winning as usual.
Well, it's not as if you're going to worry about him losing his shooting touch while not playing regularly.

Simmons is still young, greatly athletically talented, and the best defensive player in the NBA - there's still a market for a player like that. Like I said, the Sixers are in a pretty good spot - they have young guys who can step in, in parts, to fill the void. The Sixers are in the East so there is less pressure from the teams below that could displace the Sixers from a top 3 or 4 seed, at a minimum (remember, Sixers were the top seed last year). And it's not like Simmons wasn't getting a good contract - he's on a max deal with I think at least 4 years still to go - he's being paid as well as he can be paid (assuming he shows up and punches a time card). Are the Sixers worse without Simmons? Sure. But they can likely weather a very long holdout.
What if Simmons decides to show up to collect his paycheck while going through the motions? What do the Sixers do then?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:49 pm Simmons is still young, greatly athletically talented, and the best defensive player in the NBA - there's still a market for a player like that.
Definitely, and that market is in Portland. :thumb:

I'm still thinking that, every day Simmons isn't there, the distraction is going to be. The Philly media market is not known for being soft, and I can see where the team (players, coaches, ownership) will be dealing with the questions, "When will he be back? Is he coming back? Do you want him back?" la-di-dah. And it takes just one person associated with the team to say the wrong thing and then it is plastered all over the place (See Doc's interview at the end of the Sixers playoff run. I still think he either misheard or misunderstood the question that was asked).
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:20 pm

Thybulle looks great, I could see him stepping it up. Will Simmons lose value for a trade by sitting out, and the 76ers still winning as usual.
Well, it's not as if you're going to worry about him losing his shooting touch while not playing regularly.

Simmons is still young, greatly athletically talented, and the best defensive player in the NBA - there's still a market for a player like that. Like I said, the Sixers are in a pretty good spot - they have young guys who can step in, in parts, to fill the void. The Sixers are in the East so there is less pressure from the teams below that could displace the Sixers from a top 3 or 4 seed, at a minimum (remember, Sixers were the top seed last year). And it's not like Simmons wasn't getting a good contract - he's on a max deal with I think at least 4 years still to go - he's being paid as well as he can be paid (assuming he shows up and punches a time card). Are the Sixers worse without Simmons? Sure. But they can likely weather a very long holdout.
I understand Simmons ability, but the news media could start spinning stuff to make Simmons look worse than he is. Maybe a NY or LA market starts that to gain a upper hand in a trade scenario.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:18 pm

What if Simmons decides to show up to collect his paycheck while going through the motions? What do the Sixers do then?
Then you play him, as long as he isn't hurting the team. If he dogs it, then you don't play him and let him stew on the bench, dressed for the game or in street clothes. I don't think he'll do that, though. The Philly crowd has been really in his corner since he got here, but he won't get a very good reception now that he's turned his back on the city.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:23 pm
GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:49 pm Simmons is still young, greatly athletically talented, and the best defensive player in the NBA - there's still a market for a player like that.
Definitely, and that market is in Portland. :thumb:

I'm still thinking that, every day Simmons isn't there, the distraction is going to be. The Philly media market is not known for being soft, and I can see where the team (players, coaches, ownership) will be dealing with the questions, "When will he be back? Is he coming back? Do you want him back?" la-di-dah. And it takes just one person associated with the team to say the wrong thing and then it is plastered all over the place (See Doc's interview at the end of the Sixers playoff run. I still think he either misheard or misunderstood the question that was asked).
Well, I think they're still mainly doing Zoom interviews, so it's not the free-for-all it could be. And if Embiid hasn't said something yet I doubt he will. It's all just noise in the end. Edit - Embiid has spoken, and pretty much closed the door as much as possible on Simmons. I don't think there's much room for him to come back or to sit on the bench moping about not being traded. Next time we see Simmons will be when he puts on another jersey.
Last edited by GannonFan on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:45 pm Olshey's seat is hot coming in to the season, especially after throwing Stotts into the fire last year. If the Blazers start slow, Olshey will be the one to go. Lillard leaving would signal a total rebuild of the franchise.
This is the exact situation that could involve the Timberwolves. Portland could get a bunch #1 picks, maybe 4, plus a up and coming Jaden McDaniels or whoever they want from the young players, Lillard to Philly and Simmons to Minnesota. See what happens.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:35 pm

I understand Simmons ability, but the news media could start spinning stuff to make Simmons look worse than he is. Maybe a NY or LA market starts that to gain a upper hand in a trade scenario.
I don't see the Knicks or Brooklyn as trading partners at all, nor the Lakers. The Clippers have players who could be trade-bait though.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:42 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:35 pm

I don't see the Knicks or Brooklyn as trading partners at all, nor the Lakers. The Clippers have players who could be trade-bait though.
Brooklyn may need to replace Kyrie.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:47 pm
GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:42 pm

Brooklyn may need to replace Kyrie.
They may, but I don't think they have anything to entice the Sixers and I doubt the Sixers would trade Simmons not only inside the conference, but inside the division to boot.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Sixers want a decent perimeter shooter. Blazers want someone who can play defense. Which is why Simmons to the Blazers and McCollum to the Sixers makes a lot of sense. Both fanbases can argue about what each player lacks but, as currently constructed, the Blazers can absorb Simmons' lack of shooting and the Sixers can compensate for McCollum's lack of defense.

Seems like a win for everyone.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:46 am Sixers want a decent perimeter shooter. Blazers want someone who can play defense. Which is why Simmons to the Blazers and McCollum to the Sixers makes a lot of sense. Both fanbases can argue about what each player lacks but, as currently constructed, the Blazers can absorb Simmons' lack of shooting and the Sixers can compensate for McCollum's lack of defense.

Seems like a win for everyone.
It may actually come to be, time will tell. Given that it would be McCollum plus more (i.e. Covington and a pick) it seems reasonablish. Odd thing about Portland's picks, though, they have that first round conditional to Chicago (1-14 protected) for the next 7 years. Certainly not insurmountable, just an oddity to work around if a pick was included.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

New coach, new system, new faces, same Blazers. Lillard and McCollum and not much after that. :ohno:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:28 am New coach, new system, new faces, same Blazers. Lillard and McCollum and not much after that. :ohno:
I can already tell you where they're going to finish this year, just like everyone else can. Players make the difference, and the really good players at that. Nothing has really changed in Portland to change that calculus.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:30 am
JALMOND wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:28 am New coach, new system, new faces, same Blazers. Lillard and McCollum and not much after that. :ohno:
I can already tell you where they're going to finish this year, just like everyone else can. Players make the difference, and the really good players at that. Nothing has really changed in Portland to change that calculus.
Billups will realize what Stotts figured out...Play Lillard 40 minutes per game and you'll make the playoffs, but Lillard will be too beat up to take the Blazers much past that. Try to cut that back to save Lillard for the playoffs and the Blazers won't make the playoffs. Catch-22.

And Olshey thinks it has nothing to do with the roster. :facepalm:
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Blazers offered McCollum, Covington and picks for Simmons and either Milton or Joe. Sixers respond with just Simmons for McCollum, three first round picks and three draft swaps.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2021/10/8/2 ... ams-sixers

Blazers told Sixers to go to hell. Simmons is a Sixers problem and while the Blazers would like to get him, they don't have to help the Sixers get out from their problem in any way. Simmons sitting out doesn't matter to the Blazers or any other team other than the Sixers. The draft picks are a bigger gamble than giving up McCollum.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:30 am Blazers offered McCollum, Covington and picks for Simmons and either Milton or Joe. Sixers respond with just Simmons for McCollum, three first round picks and three draft swaps.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2021/10/8/2 ... ams-sixers

Blazers told Sixers to go to hell. Simmons is a Sixers problem and while the Blazers would like to get him, they don't have to help the Sixers get out from their problem in any way. Simmons sitting out doesn't matter to the Blazers or any other team other than the Sixers. The draft picks are a bigger gamble than giving up McCollum.
Not really a problem for the Sixers either. They'll be just fine this year even if Simmons sits all year. Doubt the NBA would want the Sixers to cave anyway, a guy on a max deal with 4 years left demanding a trade and sitting out is bad for the league if that became a thing. They'll let him suffer on the vine and then they'll get rid of him eventually. But there'll be plenty of teams calling once their seasons start to go south, somebody will pull the trigger in the attempt to salvage a season. Could by the Blazers (I already said they have a brutal Oct/Nov/Dec), could be someone else. Sixers have the luxury of being in the East and also still having a fairly stacked roster, even further buoyed by some young talent (Thybulle, Maxey, heck, even Joe might be a player). I like the addition of Niang as well, he might really blossom with the Sixers.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Blazers come to Philly November 1. Maybe another stellar performance by McCollum will be enough to convince Morey to just do a straight across trade. McCollum did the same thing in the second game last year when he matched Harden point-for-point with trade rumors swirling around. Actually, rumor is that Olshey pulled McCollum out of trade talks after that game and Harden ended up with the Nets, otherwise McCollum would be a Rocket now (and Harden would be Lillard's running mate).

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-news-j ... p-blazers/

An awesome performance by McCollum in Philly may be just enough to tip the bucket, especially if Simmons is still out.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Simmons for Lillard isn't going to happen. Sixers "waiting on a prayer" per Sam Amick.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/2 ... lard-Trade

https://www.blazersedge.com/2021/10/10/ ... an-lillard
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:01 pm Simmons for Lillard isn't going to happen. Sixers "waiting on a prayer" per Sam Amick.

Lilllard isn't moving today because the season hasn't started. If Lillard leaves, as we said before, it has to start with him wanting out. And once he decides he wants out then Portland isn't going to be able to keep him. It all depends on how the season plays out. If Portland comes out of the gate like gangbusters and is playing well, Lillard won't be going anywhere. However, if Portland struggles early on and it looks again like another season in non-competing purgatory, then Lillard may decide he's done and wants out. And yes, from the other post, no trade is going to happen until Portland and Philly play their two games, which are done in November. Neither team would want the player they traded to show up in their arena this season wearing another team's jersey if it can be avoided.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:01 pm Simmons for Lillard isn't going to happen. Sixers "waiting on a prayer" per Sam Amick.

Specifically if Philly wants Lillard and draft picks for Simmons.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:45 am

Specifically if Philly wants Lillard and draft picks for Simmons.
I don't think I've ever heard that, that's only been discussed when it was Simmons for McCollum. When Lillard has been discussed, it's be Simmons plus a player (like a Thybulle or a Maxey) plus picks going back to Portland (so the opposite). Not sure where the author in that article thought it would be the other way around.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Btw, Simmons is back in Philly, taken his COVID test, and apparently they're going to try to bring him back into the fold. Not sure what that will look like and if it's anything more than a way to make him look less toxic in an upcoming trade (or if it's just Simmons realizing he was about to lose a fortune in fines and withheld pay). But, he's here an apparently they're going to try to make it work. Obviously, fan reaction should be priceless. He actually thinks fans have been tough on him to date (haven't really, he's been incredibly supported given his lack of offensive game), just wait until they "welcome" him now.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:39 pm Btw, Simmons is back in Philly, taken his COVID test, and apparently they're going to try to bring him back into the fold. Not sure what that will look like and if it's anything more than a way to make him look less toxic in an upcoming trade (or if it's just Simmons realizing he was about to lose a fortune in fines and withheld pay). But, he's here an apparently they're going to try to make it work. Obviously, fan reaction should be priceless. He actually thinks fans have been tough on him to date (haven't really, he's been incredibly supported given his lack of offensive game), just wait until they "welcome" him now.
Hope he doesn't go all Jimmie Buckets on the 76ers, like Butler did with the Wolves.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:45 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:39 pm Btw, Simmons is back in Philly, taken his COVID test, and apparently they're going to try to bring him back into the fold. Not sure what that will look like and if it's anything more than a way to make him look less toxic in an upcoming trade (or if it's just Simmons realizing he was about to lose a fortune in fines and withheld pay). But, he's here an apparently they're going to try to make it work. Obviously, fan reaction should be priceless. He actually thinks fans have been tough on him to date (haven't really, he's been incredibly supported given his lack of offensive game), just wait until they "welcome" him now.
Hope he doesn't go all Jimmie Buckets on the 76ers, like Butler did with the Wolves.
He's not that type of player, not sure he could even do that. When Butler took the second team and whupped the first team, remember he had Towns on that first team. Embiid wouldn't put up with that, nor would the vets like Green and Curry and Harris. Sixers will be just fine, if he plays and if he doesn't play.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ben Simmons suspended 1 game for conduct detrimental to team

Will Ben Simmons play for the 76ers again.

Star point guard Ben Simmons has been suspended one game for conduct detrimental to the team, the Philadelphia 76ers announced Tuesday. As a result, Simmons will not play in the 76ers’ season-opening game on Wednesday in New Orleans (8 ET, NBA League Pass).

The Sixers’ release reads as follows: “Ben Simmons has been suspended for one game due to conduct detrimental to the team. As a result, Simmons will miss the 76ers’ season opener at New Orleans tomorrow night.”

Per multiple reports, Simmons was thrown out of practice today by coach Doc Rivers for not being engaged in practice. ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reports the lack of participation and engagement by Simmons at practice has been a theme since his return. Simmons reportedly refused to participate in one stage of the practice session before being tossed, specifically not taking part in a defensive drill.

Additionally, Wojnarowski reports the Sixers have fined Simmons $1.4 million for his absence from four preseason games. The Sixers have also hit Simmons with numerous team fines for missed practices, on-court workouts and meetings. He has not earned any money since returning to the team on Oct. 11.

“I just thought he was a distraction today,” Rivers said Tuesday after practice. “I didn’t think he wanted to do what everybody else was doing. It was early. It wasn’t a big deal. I just told him he should leave. We went on with practice.”