2021-22 NBA Basketball Season Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: 2021-22 NBA Basketball Season Thread

Post by GannonFan »

clenz wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:59 pm There’s a new set of excuses every single season for why the process failed, yet again.

Wake me up when it actually amounts to anything other than “we made the second round and you only make the first”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty sure all of what I've said has been said before - Colangelo's tenure has been well documented on here. Perhaps you were asleep for the past few years? I mean, you just referenced playoffs in 2002 and 2004 as if they were bragging rights. How long have you been asleep??? :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Post by JALMOND »

clenz wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:59 pm There’s a new set of excuses every single season for why the process failed, yet again.

Wake me up when it actually amounts to anything other than “we made the second round and you only make the first”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've followed enough of the Western Conference to know that you could give both Rivers and Harden the best team and they both would find ways to lose. Matter of fact, when they did have their best teams, they both couldn't get past the Blazers in the first round (Harden in 2014, Rivers in 2016). :lol:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Luka might be the best in The Association right now.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Holy crap. I was playing a board game with my youngest last night and not fully watching. When I finally get around to checking the score Phoenix only had 29 points in the game with under 9 to go in the 3rd quarter. That may have been the most colossal collapse of a 1 seed in recent memory. Dallas isn't a bad team, but they aren't that great either. The Suns look like a team that is set up to be a fantastic regular season team, and then less than that come playoff time when the game changes.

With all that said, though, this was always going to be an uphill battle to beat a healthy Golden State team. That is what a successful playoff team looks like. The two defensive teams left in the East might give them a run for the money, but I still think this is Golden State's year, barring their old guys getting hurt.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Interesting. The three leading candidates for MVP-Jokic, Embiid and Giannis, all miss making it past the second round. Also, the two teams who played in last year's Final, Milwaukee and Phoenix, both are ousted in the second round this year. Changing of the guard?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:07 am Interesting. The three leading candidates for MVP-Jokic, Embiid and Giannis, all miss making it past the second round. Also, the two teams who played in last year's Final, Milwaukee and Phoenix, both are ousted in the second round this year. Changing of the guard?
Those three guys are 27, 28, and 27 years old respectively. Where exactly are they going, they're all getting into the primes of their careers right now. There is a changing of the guard coming - Golden State is getting old. Those guys are entering their mid 30's and we've seen them breakdown more. That's why the Suns even got to the Finals last year, Golden State was hurt. 5 of the last 7 Western Conference titles have been Golden State, and looking to be 6 of last 8 after this year. That might be coming to an end soon so there's a change happening there eventually.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:50 am
JALMOND wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:07 am Interesting. The three leading candidates for MVP-Jokic, Embiid and Giannis, all miss making it past the second round. Also, the two teams who played in last year's Final, Milwaukee and Phoenix, both are ousted in the second round this year. Changing of the guard?
Those three guys are 27, 28, and 27 years old respectively. Where exactly are they going, they're all getting into the primes of their careers right now. There is a changing of the guard coming - Golden State is getting old. Those guys are entering their mid 30's and we've seen them breakdown more. That's why the Suns even got to the Finals last year, Golden State was hurt. 5 of the last 7 Western Conference titles have been Golden State, and looking to be 6 of last 8 after this year. That might be coming to an end soon so there's a change happening there eventually.
All three have been held to a high usage by their respective teams which can speed up the breakdown of their careers. You look at the four teams that made their conference finals and the youth on those teams (Adebayo-24 years old, Tatum-24 years old, Doncic-23 years old, Poole-22 years old) and the page is turning.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:20 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:50 am

All three have been held to a high usage by their respective teams which can speed up the breakdown of their careers. You look at the four teams that made their conference finals and the youth on those teams (Adebayo-24 years old, Tatum-24 years old, Doncic-23 years old, Poole-22 years old) and the page is turning.
You're cherry picking young players. On the Heat, how about Jimmy Butler (32), Kyle Lowry (35 but going on 65), and PJ Tucker (36)? Is that young? Golden State has Curry (33), Thompson (31), Green (31), and Iguodala (38). And even the kids you mention, many of them have already had some significant injuries and they're used at just a high usage as the guys a couple of years older who you're writing off because they're on the other side of 25. If that old crew from Golden State can still be the favorites to win the title at their age, all of these guys have productive years ahead of them.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:36 am
JALMOND wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:20 am

You're cherry picking young players. On the Heat, how about Jimmy Butler (32), Kyle Lowry (35 but going on 65), and PJ Tucker (36)? Is that young? Golden State has Curry (33), Thompson (31), Green (31), and Iguodala (38). And even the kids you mention, many of them have already had some significant injuries and they're used at just a high usage as the guys a couple of years older who you're writing off because they're on the other side of 25. If that old crew from Golden State can still be the favorites to win the title at their age, all of these guys have productive years ahead of them.
Not cherry picking. Each of those players I mentioned have contributed to the success of their teams this season, to the point where their teams would not be in the conference finals if not for their respective contributions. There are veterans on the teams, true, but those four are coming into their own, and will be around for awhile. The page is turning...
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:45 am Holy crap. I was playing a board game with my youngest last night and not fully watching. When I finally get around to checking the score Phoenix only had 29 points in the game with under 9 to go in the 3rd quarter. That may have been the most colossal collapse of a 1 seed in recent memory. Dallas isn't a bad team, but they aren't that great either. The Suns look like a team that is set up to be a fantastic regular season team, and then less than that come playoff time when the game changes.

With all that said, though, this was always going to be an uphill battle to beat a healthy Golden State team. That is what a successful playoff team looks like. The two defensive teams left in the East might give them a run for the money, but I still think this is Golden State's year, barring their old guys getting hurt.
getting booed on your home court in a game 7. Nicely done, Phoenix. :ohno: :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Pulling for the West Champ to beat the Celtics or Jimmy Buckets.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Heat win with Butler out the 2nd half with injury.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:27 am Pulling for the West Champ to beat the Celtics or Jimmy Buckets.
I would never root for the Celtics so that would be an easy one. I don't hate Miami - Jimmy Butler is easy to root for, dude just plays hard and wants to win. Gotta respect that.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:40 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:27 am Pulling for the West Champ to beat the Celtics or Jimmy Buckets.
I would never root for the Celtics so that would be an easy one. I don't hate Miami - Jimmy Butler is easy to root for, dude just plays hard and wants to win. Gotta respect that.
He does more than just plays hard, I respect the latter. What he did in Minnesota with his rants, because he wanted to leave, I don't.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:12 am
GannonFan wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:40 am
I would never root for the Celtics so that would be an easy one. I don't hate Miami - Janie Butler is easy to root for, dude just plays hard and wants to win. Gotta respect that.
He does more than just plays hard, I respect the latter. What he did in Minnesota with his rants, because he wanted to leave, I don't.
:nod: He's a prima donna that plays hard but he's still a prima donna.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:10 am
Gil Dobie wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:12 am

Of course he's a prima donna, but the T-Wolves had more than their share of that too beyond Jimmy. He's been fine in both Philly and Miami so maybe it was just a Minnesota thing?
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:07 am

Of course he's a prima donna, but the T-Wolves had more than their share of that too beyond Jimmy. He's been fine in both Philly and Miami so maybe it was just a Minnesota thing?
Could be, but the Wolves would have been better off keeping Lavine and the other players they traded for Butler. The blame starts at the GM-Coach Tom Thibodeau. Flip Saunders had a good thing going before he passed, and Thibs blew it up to bring in Butler.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Happened with the Bulls too. Rondo had to stand up and lead the team.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:28 am

Happened with the Bulls too. Rondo had to stand up and lead the team.
I think Jimmy's matured. Bulls came before the Wolves. He worked out just fine in Philly and Miami so maturity probably helped.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Tim Connelly is leaving his job as president of basketball operations of the Denver Nuggets for a similar role with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Connelly agreed to the deal on Monday, the Timberwolves announced.

The 45-year-old Connelly steadily built the Nuggets into a perennial playoff contender through draft picks that included two-time NBA MVP Nikola Jokic and point guard Jamal Murray.

Connelly's decision to switch teams inside the Western Conference's Northwest Division was first reported by The Athletic and ESPN. The deal is reportedly for five years and worth more than $40 million. It also includes ownership equity.

"My family and I couldn’t be more excited to join the Timberwolves organization,” Connelly said in a statement. “I can’t wait to get to work to build an elite franchise that our fans can continue to be proud of.”

In Minnesota, Connelly will oversee a team led by Karl-Anthony Towns and Anthony Edwards. The Timberwolves are coming off a 46-win season and their first playoff appearance since 2018. They took the second-seeded Memphis Grizzlies to six games before being eliminated.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Hope Seattle and Vegas get expansion teams before A-Rod moves the Timberwolves.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Buckets gets 47 to lead Heat over Celtics. Game 7 Sunday.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

I'll go with Warriors in 6 games.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:32 am I'll go with Warriors in 6 games.
I like the Warriors in 6 as well.