2021-22 NBA Basketball Season Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

2021-22 NBA Basketball Season Thread

Post by Gil Dobie »

With all the talk about Ben Simmons sitting out. Wonder if the Wolves have a chance if they involve a 3rd team, like Portland. Would Portland prefer draft picks over Ben Simmons?
Last edited by Gil Dobie on Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Portland State
A.K.A.: JALMOND

Re: 2021-22 NBA Basketball Thread

Post by JALMOND »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:55 pm With all the talk about Ben Simmons sitting out. Wonder if the Wolves have a chance if they involve a 3rd team, like Portland. Would Portland prefer draft picks over Ben Simmons?
Blazers are in win now mode to appease Lillard. Draft picks won't cut it unless Lillard asks out and the Blazers go into rebuild mode, which doesn't seem to be happening anytime this season. Lillard seems content with seeing how this season plays out with Billups as the coach, a full season of Powell and the addition of Nance.

Blazer fans are wondering if a package that includes both McCollum and Nurkic would be enough to get KAT to the Blazers.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2021-22 NBA Basketball Thread

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:09 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:55 pm With all the talk about Ben Simmons sitting out. Wonder if the Wolves have a chance if they involve a 3rd team, like Portland. Would Portland prefer draft picks over Ben Simmons?
Blazers are in win now mode to appease Lillard. Draft picks won't cut it unless Lillard asks out and the Blazers go into rebuild mode, which doesn't seem to be happening anytime this season. Lillard seems content with seeing how this season plays out with Billups as the coach, a full season of Powell and the addition of Nance.

Blazer fans are wondering if a package that includes both McCollum and Nurkic would be enough to get KAT to the Blazers.
Sounds like Simmons is looking at leaving. He would fit in great with KAT, D-Lo and Edwards. A few teams are on the running for him, if Philly trades him.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Re: 2021-22 NBA Basketball Season Thread

Post by JALMOND »

From Stephen A Smith, latest Blazers offer for Simmons is McCollum, Covington and picks for Simmons and another Sixer (either Milton or Joe).

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2021/09 ... n-simmons/

Its Stephen A Smith so take it as you may.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:35 am From Stephen A Smith, latest Blazers offer for Simmons is McCollum, Covington and picks for Simmons and another Sixer (either Milton or Joe).

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2021/09 ... n-simmons/

Its Stephen A Smith so take it as you may.
Yeah, the Timberwolves fired their GM last night, that was dealing on Simmons. Intimate stuff with an employee.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Obviously, if the Nets are willing to trade Irving out, that would be the best option, but it seems like Durant (and others) are not too keen on that.

John Wall is available but there is a question about the fit between Embiid and Wall, and similar to the Cavs situation, would Simmons want to go to a non-playoff team?

McCollum can't hold a candle when compered to Irving or Wall, but he is an ideal fit when paired with the likes of Embiid.

The Blazers offer of McCollum, Covington and picks seems to make the most sense.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

The Minnesota Timberwolves’ front office, now led by Sachin Gupta, is going after Ben Simmons in real earnest as per Shams Charania.
The good thing is, Gupta is familiar with Morley, having worked with him in Houston. As the Simmons wheel turns, stay tuned.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

Hopefully Towns will be back at full strength this season.

Link

The strain of having multiple family members die from COVID-19 and then losing 50 pounds after he contracted the virus led Timberwolves center Karl-Anthony Towns to experience a panic attack during a game, he tells Michael Pina of Sports Illustrated.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Where’s the other white guy on this board who actually follows NBA basketball? :?

Ganny? :kisswink:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:10 pm Where’s the other white guy on this board who actually follows NBA basketball? :?

I'm here, still following the Sixers, firmly believe this is the year for them to hoist the trophy! :thumb:

How the Simmons things ends up will be fascinating. Can't see the Sixers settling on a poor return (and even on this thread the best I've seen is Simmons for McCollum/Covington/multiple draft picks - I'm just not sure I really want Covington back - overrated defender and can't shoot in the clutch - he's like basketball's answer to Bobby Abreu - very good stats, just not a winner when it matters). Will be interesting if Embiid really flourishes without Simmons around anymore - I think we all knew they didn't really like each other that much, I just didn't think it was that bad.

Still think the Sixers get Lillard eventually - Simmons can sit until they trade him since he's willing to forego his salary, and Lillard will come to the realization that he can't win as configured in Portland and that there aren't a lot of realistic trading partners that gives him a shot at the title. Lillard is the one that determines if that trade happens.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:25 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:10 pm Where’s the other white guy on this board who actually follows NBA basketball? :?

I'm here, still following the Sixers, firmly believe this is the year for them to hoist the trophy! :thumb:

How the Simmons things ends up will be fascinating. Can't see the Sixers settling on a poor return (and even on this thread the best I've seen is Simmons for McCollum/Covington/multiple draft picks - I'm just not sure I really want Covington back - overrated defender and can't shoot in the clutch - he's like basketball's answer to Bobby Abreu - very good stats, just not a winner when it matters). Will be interesting if Embiid really flourishes without Simmons around anymore - I think we all knew they didn't really like each other that much, I just didn't think it was that bad.

Still think the Sixers get Lillard eventually - Simmons can sit until they trade him since he's willing to forego his salary, and Lillard will come to the realization that he can't win as configured in Portland and that there aren't a lot of realistic trading partners that gives him a shot at the title. Lillard is the one that determines if that trade happens.
Morey (and Simmons) better be prepared to wait a long time if they think they are getting Lillard any time soon. I am thinking if it gets to that point, Lillard will tell the Seattle ownership that either he goes or Olshey goes.

This doesn't sound like he is a big hurry to get out of Portland.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/322 ... -direction
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:13 pm

Morey (and Simmons) better be prepared to wait a long time if they think they are getting Lillard any time soon. I am thinking if it gets to that point, Lillard will tell the Seattle ownership that either he goes or Olshey goes.

Doesn't have to be a big hurry, just needs to be before the trading deadline. "Faith" is great and all, but Portland was just a 6th seed last year in the playoffs, dismissed in the first round, and the gap between them and really contending in the West hasn't gotten any narrower in the offseason. And the schedule through December isn't an easy one for Portland. Interestingly enough, Portland is done with Philly after Nov 20th (both games between the teams are in November this year) - means that if and when Lillard decides there's nothing to be done to make Portland a title contender while he's there (he would need to attract another stud to relocate to Portland with him - Portland just hasn't been the destination of choice in the West for such players so far) that should he decamp to the East and pair up with Embiid that he wouldn't have to see his old team again until next season. Like I said, it's all up to Lillard, and a slow start to the season and no hope for really contending for a title might trump faith.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

I would put Lillard at a level above Simmons, because he can shoot the 3 ball and score better. How is Portland going to replace the 9 PPG difference between Lillard and Simmons. Lillard (12.9 best year) is also 3 win shares better than Simmons (9.2 best year). On the flip side, McCollum is a couple win shares below Simmons for his best season. The only T-Wolves player with a season over 9.2 is Towns at 14. Wolves would have to trade towns to a 3rd team, and get a mid-level center and Simmons in return, and Philly gets Simmons replacement from that 3rd team.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:38 pm
JALMOND wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:13 pm Morey (and Simmons) better be prepared to wait a long time if they think they are getting Lillard any time soon. I am thinking if it gets to that point, Lillard will tell the Seattle ownership that either he goes or Olshey goes.

Doesn't have to be a big hurry, just needs to be before the trading deadline. "Faith" is great and all, but Portland was just a 6th seed last year in the playoffs, dismissed in the first round, and the gap between them and really contending in the West hasn't gotten any narrower in the offseason. And the schedule through December isn't an easy one for Portland. Interestingly enough, Portland is done with Philly after Nov 20th (both games between the teams are in November this year) - means that if and when Lillard decides there's nothing to be done to make Portland a title contender while he's there (he would need to attract another stud to relocate to Portland with him - Portland just hasn't been the destination of choice in the West for such players so far) that should he decamp to the East and pair up with Embiid that he wouldn't have to see his old team again until next season. Like I said, it's all up to Lillard, and a slow start to the season and no hope for really contending for a title might trump faith.
Lillard's a little different from most NBA superstars, the start would have to be pretty disappointing for him to lose faith and demand a trade. Even then the team might (would hopefully) can Olshey before trading Lillard.

If he does demand a trade he's likely to work with management to help the Blazers maximize their return without gutting the team he goes to (making a 3 team deal more likely).
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:52 pm

I would put Lillard at a level above Simmons, because he can shoot the 3 ball and score better. How is Portland going to replace the 9 PPG difference between Lillard and Simmons. Lillard (12.9 best year) is also 3 win shares better than Simmons (9.2 best year). On the flip side, McCollum is a couple win shares below Simmons for his best season. The only T-Wolves player with a season over 9.2 is Towns at 14. Wolves would have to trade towns to a 3rd team, and get a mid-level center and Simmons in return, and Philly gets Simmons replacement from that 3rd team.
That's why a McCollum for Simmons trade would involve the Blazers sending McCollum and a whole lot else to Philly for Simmons, while a Lillard for Simmons trade would involve the Sixers sending more back besides Simmons. I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

No idea who a third team would be that would want Towns and would be okay giving up a player the Sixers would want for Simmons. Do you have any suggestions?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:57 pm
Lillard's a little different from most NBA superstars, the start would have to be pretty disappointing for him to lose faith and demand a trade. Even then the team might (would hopefully) can Olshey before trading Lillard.

If he does demand a trade he's likely to work with management to help the Blazers maximize their return without gutting the team he goes to (making a 3 team deal more likely).
He's already proven that he's different from most stars in the NBA as he's still there in Portland despite a pretty long history now of not really competing with the best in the West. Another player would've left a long time ago. And at this point I don't think the GM is the issue, it's being able to convince a player of an Embiid-level to decamp from where they are and to come to Portland (as opposed to going to LA or Miami for instance). I can't blame Olshey for that, I don't think there's a GM out there who could do that. If Portland is sitting around .500 come New Year's, and when there's a viable path to a much more competitive situation like playing in Philly (Eastern Conference) with Embiid, a path that didn't exist before since Simmons and Philly were fine being together, means that he could leave. And he's not gutting a team if he leaves and the Blazers get Simmons and a player like Maxey, with a pick, in return. They'll still be a 5 or a 6 seed like that and still likely not get past a round or two in the playoffs, but they'll be in the playoffs.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

And if Lillard doesn't leave? How long is Morey willing to wait, knowing every day goes by diminishes any chance for an adequate return for Simmons? Has Morey really dug his heels into thinking Lillard (or Beal) are the only targets for Simmons, otherwise Simmons will sit out the whole season?

The feeling here is that Lillard is willing to stay in Portland the whole season and give the new coaching staff a chance. The feeling is that Lillard was consulted on all decisions in the offseason, including the coaching hire so he is on board with what the Blazers did. There is also the notion that McCollum will be gone by the deadline and while the Blazers would like to use him to obtain Simmmons, Olshey will not hesitate to trade him anywhere to better the team, and Lillard (and McCollum) realize this, too. When asked about him name being linked to trades, McCollum said he does the same thing when talking about his favorite football team, the Cleveland Browns, and how they'd be so much better if they traded this player or that player.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

What's this I'm hearing about James either ditching hoops for football or trying to pull a Bo Jackson? I wouldn't want that egotistical jerk on MY team, but Jones going after him would NOT surprise me in the least....

Edit: OK, so it was about the 2011 lockout, but STILL...dumb idea....

https://sports.yahoo.com/lebron-james-s ... p_catchall

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:05 pm
UNI88 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:57 pm

He's already proven that he's different from most stars in the NBA as he's still there in Portland despite a pretty long history now of not really competing with the best in the West. Another player would've left a long time ago. And at this point I don't think the GM is the issue, it's being able to convince a player of an Embiid-level to decamp from where they are and to come to Portland (as opposed to going to LA or Miami for instance). I can't blame Olshey for that, I don't think there's a GM out there who could do that. If Portland is sitting around .500 come New Year's, and when there's a viable path to a much more competitive situation like playing in Philly (Eastern Conference) with Embiid, a path that didn't exist before since Simmons and Philly were fine being together, means that he could leave. And he's not gutting a team if he leaves and the Blazers get Simmons and a player like Maxey, with a pick, in return. They'll still be a 5 or a 6 seed like that and still likely not get past a round or two in the playoffs, but they'll be in the playoffs.
Maxey would be good (but possibly a little redundant with McCollum and Powell) but a Sixer's draft pick would likely be too low to have significant value. If they're losing Dame they need to focus on building for the future not maintaining the status quo. You seem to look at potential trades from the perspective of what improves the Sixers and maintains the status quo for the trading partner(s) when the trading partner(s) also want to improve now or at least have the potential to be better in the future.

I agree with JAlmond, Dame stays for the 21-22 Season and gives the new staff the chance to prove themselves. He only requests a trade if the season goes off the rails early and badly.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:00 pm
Gil Dobie wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:52 pm

That's why a McCollum for Simmons trade would involve the Blazers sending McCollum and a whole lot else to Philly for Simmons, while a Lillard for Simmons trade would involve the Sixers sending more back besides Simmons. I don't think anyone disagrees with that.

No idea who a third team would be that would want Towns and would be okay giving up a player the Sixers would want for Simmons. Do you have any suggestions?
I don't dispute that, it's very obvious, just thought you would catch that part. McCollum is not much different than Malik Beasley. McCollum is 30, Beasley is coming up on 25. The big difference is their role, where McCollum passes more, 4.7 APG, while Beasley was 2.4 APG playing beside Russell who was 5.8 APG. There are a lot of Wolves fans that don't want Simmons if they have to give up both Beasley and Russell. Edwards, KAT and Russell had a winning record when all 3 were on the floor, but that didn't happen very much last year.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Olshey's seat is hot coming in to the season, especially after throwing Stotts into the fire last year. If the Blazers start slow, Olshey will be the one to go. Lillard leaving would signal a total rebuild of the franchise.
JALMOND
Level4
Level4

Post by JALMOND »

Sounds like Simmons is prepared to sit out the whole year.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ ... ade-report

Question is, with Lillard committed to giving Billups a chance and staying in Portland at least for this year, how long are the Sixers willing to wait with Simmons and at what point will it become a distraction?
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

JALMOND wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:47 am Sounds like Simmons is prepared to sit out the whole year.

Question is, with Lillard committed to giving Billups a chance and staying in Portland at least for this year, how long are the Sixers willing to wait with Simmons and at what point will it become a distraction?
Probably could wait all year - he'll lose his entire year salary as well as have fines added in as well. And truth be told, he won't be much of a distraction by not being there. There was always a small segment of Sixers fans (not me) who didn't like him, so they're actually happy with the course of events. We'll have to see how the young kids fill in for him. Does Maxey really take off in year 2 now? Does Thybulle really step it up in his 3rd year after pretty good years? Does Niang step in and fill a spot? As long as the Sixers are near the top of the East, which they will be, there won't be a lot angst. I'm not sure how much pressure the Sixers will really have to make a deal they don't want to make. It will be interesting to see the league's take on this - the NBA probably doesn't want something like this to be the norm, where a guy with a max deal and so many years left on his contract just demands he wants out.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Gil Dobie »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:05 am
JALMOND wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:47 am Sounds like Simmons is prepared to sit out the whole year.

Probably could wait all year - he'll lose his entire year salary as well as have fines added in as well. And truth be told, he won't be much of a distraction by not being there. There was always a small segment of Sixers fans (not me) who didn't like him, so they're actually happy with the course of events. We'll have to see how the young kids fill in for him. Does Maxey really take off in year 2 now? Does Thybulle really step it up in his 3rd year after pretty good years? Does Niang step in and fill a spot? As long as the Sixers are near the top of the East, which they will be, there won't be a lot angst. I'm not sure how much pressure the Sixers will really have to make a deal they don't want to make. It will be interesting to see the league's take on this - the NBA probably doesn't want something like this to be the norm, where a guy with a max deal and so many years left on his contract just demands he wants out.
Thybulle looks great, I could see him stepping it up. Will Simmons lose value for a trade by sitting out, and the 76ers still winning as usual.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:20 pm
GannonFan wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:05 am

Thybulle looks great, I could see him stepping it up. Will Simmons lose value for a trade by sitting out, and the 76ers still winning as usual.
Well, it's not as if you're going to worry about him losing his shooting touch while not playing regularly.

Simmons is still young, greatly athletically talented, and the best defensive player in the NBA - there's still a market for a player like that. Like I said, the Sixers are in a pretty good spot - they have young guys who can step in, in parts, to fill the void. The Sixers are in the East so there is less pressure from the teams below that could displace the Sixers from a top 3 or 4 seed, at a minimum (remember, Sixers were the top seed last year). And it's not like Simmons wasn't getting a good contract - he's on a max deal with I think at least 4 years still to go - he's being paid as well as he can be paid (assuming he shows up and punches a time card). Are the Sixers worse without Simmons? Sure. But they can likely weather a very long holdout.