NFL 2021 Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: NFL 2021 Season

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:37 am
CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:28 am
I absolutely love big shoulder pads, neck rolls, forearm pads, and black Cleets.

There's a black Cleets?
:thumb:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

dbackjon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:58 am
UNI88 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:37 am

There's a black Cleets?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
dal4018
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: South Carolina St
A.K.A.: SC State

Post by dal4018 »

Gil Dobie wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:31 pm Aaron Rodgers is back, and Packers are looking to bring back Randall Cobb as part of Rodgers request.
Wished that the Packers had kept Jeff Janis he along with Adams would have formed a top flight WR duo in the NFL right now.
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

DeMaryus Thomas WR RIP 1987-2021!!!!!!
dal4018
Level5
Level5

Post by dal4018 »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:01 pm Well, not exactly, but the news is coming during preps for the 2021 Season.

The NFL is reversing an old rule banning alternate helmets starting in 2022. Because of this, we could see Tom Brady in the Doug Williams creamsicle Buccaneers helmet, Russell Wilson in the Jim Zorn Seahawks helmet, and Mac Jones in the Steve Grogan Patriots helmet.

No official word on what took the NFL so long. The original rationale was "player safety," but if the alternate helmet were made to the same standards as the primary helmet, then a safety issue doesn't really make sense. No word on why they're making us wait until next year, either. Perhaps just more Roger Goodell stupidity....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tom-brady- ... 57958.html
I HAVE COPIES OF DOUG WILLIAMS OLD TAMPA BAY JERSEY.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Look for Mike McCarthy to get a fine for comments about the officiating following Dallas' win over the Redskins yesterday, specifically regarding the bogus ejection of LT La'el Collins after a hit on Dak Prescott near the sideline. Last year, the Cowboys failed to similarly respond to a Redskins hit on former Cowboys QB Andy Dalton.

https://www.aol.com/mike-mccarthy-share ... 33822.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

The Redskins are in a bind. Their top two QBs are on the Reserve/COVID List,and could start a guy they just signed off the Patriots' taxi squad. Two other guys who haven't played all that much (including a Shurmur) may also get the nod.

https://sports.yahoo.com/washington-cou ... 15256.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Not sure why a college basketball coach wants to step into the Jacksonville fray, but he may have a point. Kentucky HC John Calipari says that Jacksonville should have a look at former Bengals HC Marvin Lewis, a successful HC for whom players naturally love to play....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/calipari-jac ... 10401.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

There are some divisions within the NFL PA. Apparently, a majority of players want to abandon COVID protocols altogether, but the leadership doesn't agree. This amid news that Browns-Raiders is moving to 1400 PST MON, and Seahawks-Rams and Redskins-Eagles to 1600 PST TUE. Raiders players are p!$$ed about this....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/browns-rai ... 51145.html

Mvemjsunpx
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Montana

Jaguars Intend to Stiff Urban Meyer

Post by Mvemjsunpx »

Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Green Bay clinches playoff spot, and moves further in front of teams in race for home field advantage.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

dal4018 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:58 am
SuperHornet wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:01 pm Well, not exactly, but the news is coming during preps for the 2021 Season.

The NFL is reversing an old rule banning alternate helmets starting in 2022. Because of this, we could see Tom Brady in the Doug Williams creamsicle Buccaneers helmet, Russell Wilson in the Jim Zorn Seahawks helmet, and Mac Jones in the Steve Grogan Patriots helmet.

No official word on what took the NFL so long. The original rationale was "player safety," but if the alternate helmet were made to the same standards as the primary helmet, then a safety issue doesn't really make sense. No word on why they're making us wait until next year, either. Perhaps just more Roger Goodell stupidity....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/tom-brady- ... 57958.html
I HAVE COPIES OF DOUG WILLIAMS OLD TAMPA BAY JERSEY.
All improvements.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Gil Dobie wrote:Green Bay clinches playoff spot, and moves further in front of teams in race for home field advantage.
Nice work by K-Rod!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Stand by for the standard Kliff Kingsbury late season swoon....as a fan of Texas Tech, I can assure you, you can set your watch by it...
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Meyer the Whiner

I'm sure that you'll be disgusted by this guy who's apparently taking no personal responsibility for his failure in the NFL. A stark contrast to the other big-time college coach who made such a woeful flop in the NFL: Lou Holtz, who went 3-10 with the Jets in 1976 before resigning. He learned that, at least at THAT time, a veer offense would not work in the NFL, and his conclusion was: "God did not put Lou Holtz on this Earth to coach pro football." If only Meyer could take the same humble approach to life. SMH....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/we-learned ... 26920.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

So I got home from my sister's house last night in time to see the second half of the Saints-Bucs game. I noticed something odd about playcalling on BOTH sides.

1. Bucs: Fourth and 1, a clear situation for the QB sneak, something with which Tom Brady has had scads of success. The center and guards blew open a HUGE hole that would have seen Brady pick up four or five yards. But did the Bucs call the sneak? Nope. Yet another situation where the ball is brought deep into the backfield, and the play is stuffed short of the LOS. Usually, that's because of penetration up the middle, but in THIS case, it was an outside LBer who literally picked up the back and threw him backwards, and all the while the interior line was blowing open the middle for the un-called sneak. I'm so sick of this trend in football today....

2. Saints: A continual Gun spread set, with maybe one back. Way too much reliance on Wildcat direct runs for Taysom Hill, which were nearly all stuffed, while zone read options were going like gangbusters. I'd like to see them get Hill under center, both in Ace sets and in two-back sets (preferably the I Formation), and run speed option out of the Ace set and the triple option out of the I. Both would take advantage of the same things that are giving the zone read option success, AND with the defense having to respect the dive fake on the triple, that would get the Saints even more yardage, particularly if they were to G the triple (i.e. pull the on-side guard to kick out the EMOL). There's NONE of that going on with the Wildcat direct runs, and I think THAT's why they're not working. So drop the Wildcat runs, continue with the zone read, and add in speed option and triple option (and perhaps a bit of the old Oregon Veer). For me, that would do wonders for their running game, and might even open up some natural play action passes off of them.

OK. Just my :twocents:....

GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:46 am So I got home from my sister's house last night in time to see the second half of the Saints-Bucs game. I noticed something odd about playcalling on BOTH sides.

1. Bucs: Fourth and 1, a clear situation for the QB sneak, something with which Tom Brady has had scads of success. The center and guards blew open a HUGE hole that would have seen Brady pick up four or five yards. But did the Bucs call the sneak? Nope. Yet another situation where the ball is brought deep into the backfield, and the play is stuffed short of the LOS. Usually, that's because of penetration up the middle, but in THIS case, it was an outside LBer who literally picked up the back and threw him backwards, and all the while the interior line was blowing open the middle for the un-called sneak. I'm so sick of this trend in football today....

2. Saints: A continual Gun spread set, with maybe one back. Way too much reliance on Wildcat direct runs for Taysom Hill, which were nearly all stuffed, while zone read options were going like gangbusters. I'd like to see them get Hill under center, both in Ace sets and in two-back sets (preferably the I Formation), and run speed option out of the Ace set and the triple option out of the I. Both would take advantage of the same things that are giving the zone read option success, AND with the defense having to respect the dive fake on the triple, that would get the Saints even more yardage, particularly if they were to G the triple (i.e. pull the on-side guard to kick out the EMOL). There's NONE of that going on with the Wildcat direct runs, and I think THAT's why they're not working. So drop the Wildcat runs, continue with the zone read, and add in speed option and triple option (and perhaps a bit of the old Oregon Veer). For me, that would do wonders for their running game, and might even open up some natural play action passes off of them.

OK. Just my :twocents:....
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: So you want to run the triple option, in the NFL, as your primary running attack. Good luck with that. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Who said anything about the primary rushing attack, GF? While the Saints probably COULD do that right now, there's no need for that generally. I WOULD like to see it used on goal line, two-point, and short yardage as a supplement to the zone read option attack. It'll certainly see more success than the straight Wildcat, particularly with a guy like Hill running it. I could also see Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, and Patrick Mahomes having success with it. Will we see the 30-yard runs Oklahoma and Nebraska used to get out of the Wishbone? No. But when one is looking for 2-7 yards, the triple could be a rather successful play. And the threat of it just might cause defenses to leave room up the middle for the simple dive play. And the old-school play action plays off of the triple could see some success, too....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

The TB injury news goes from bad to worse: leading receiver Godwin is out for the year with a sprained MCL....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chris-godw ... 06001.html

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:31 am Who said anything about the primary rushing attack, GF? While the Saints probably COULD do that right now, there's no need for that generally. I WOULD like to see it used on goal line, two-point, and short yardage as a supplement to the zone read option attack. It'll certainly see more success than the straight Wildcat, particularly with a guy like Hill running it. I could also see Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, and Patrick Mahomes having success with it. Will we see the 30-yard runs Oklahoma and Nebraska used to get out of the Wishbone? No. But when one is looking for 2-7 yards, the triple could be a rather successful play. And the threat of it just might cause defenses to leave room up the middle for the simple dive play. And the old-school play action plays off of the triple could see some success, too....
The reason you don't run the option in the NFL is because it gives the defense a chance to drill the QB on every play - whether he keeps it or if he pitches it. The single biggest determinant of success in the NFL is having a top notch QB. No team is going to repeatedly expose their QB to those kinds of hits on a routine, or even occasional, basis.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:52 am
SuperHornet wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:31 am Who said anything about the primary rushing attack, GF? While the Saints probably COULD do that right now, there's no need for that generally. I WOULD like to see it used on goal line, two-point, and short yardage as a supplement to the zone read option attack. It'll certainly see more success than the straight Wildcat, particularly with a guy like Hill running it. I could also see Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray, and Patrick Mahomes having success with it. Will we see the 30-yard runs Oklahoma and Nebraska used to get out of the Wishbone? No. But when one is looking for 2-7 yards, the triple could be a rather successful play. And the threat of it just might cause defenses to leave room up the middle for the simple dive play. And the old-school play action plays off of the triple could see some success, too....
The reason you don't run the option in the NFL is because it gives the defense a chance to drill the QB on every play - whether he keeps it or if he pitches it. The single biggest determinant of success in the NFL is having a top notch QB. No team is going to repeatedly expose their QB to those kinds of hits on a routine, or even occasional, basis.
Um, some teams already ARE doing this, GF, at least with the zone read. BAL, AZ, and KC are prime examples, though it's occasionally seen with several other teams, too. And the nice thing about it for goal line, short yardage, and two-point plays is that even the THREAT of it would mitigate the modern problem of a back getting stuffed by interior penetration. And having the option as an extra tool in the toolbox would be great on two-point plays especially because the knee-jerk pass (even when run out of a roll/bootleg/waggle) hampered from the very snap because of the cramped space in the end zone. Run a few triples out of that set, and we'll ALSO see more dives work, and the triple option play action pass would open up because of DBs abandoning the WR to attack the QB; it's somewhat analogous to the CB quandary when faced with a roll/boot/waggle: cover the receiver and watch the QB take off or attack the QB and watch him arc it over your head to the receiver you just abandoned. [Bleep]ed if you do, and [bleep]ed if you don't.

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:14 pm
GannonFan wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:52 am

Um, some teams already ARE doing this, GF, at least with the zone read. BAL, AZ, and KC are prime examples, though it's occasionally seen with several other teams, too. And the nice thing about it for goal line, short yardage, and two-point plays is that even the THREAT of it would mitigate the modern problem of a back getting stuffed by interior penetration. And having the option as an extra tool in the toolbox would be great on two-point plays especially because the knee-jerk pass (even when run out of a roll/bootleg/waggle) hampered from the very snap because of the cramped space in the end zone. Run a few triples out of that set, and we'll ALSO see more dives work, and the triple option play action pass would open up because of DBs abandoning the WR to attack the QB; it's somewhat analogous to the CB quandary when faced with a roll/boot/waggle: cover the receiver and watch the QB take off or attack the QB and watch him arc it over your head to the receiver you just abandoned. [Bleep]ed if you do, and [bleep]ed if you don't.
No one runs a real option attack like what you're saying. Anytime you see a real option the QB pitches the ball so early it's just a glorified sprint sweep so that the QB doesn't take a real hit. Read option isn't the same as what you're proposing. All it takes is one really good hit on the QB and the season's over. Lamar Jackson is the closest thing to that type of QB and even then they really limit the number of and the quality of the hits he could take. And even then Baltimore is a team, with that offensive approach, haven't seen any playoff success running that system. NFL OC's aren't dumb, they'll run anything and everything that could work (heck, see the Wing-T elements borrowed in lots of Kansas City's offense under Reid). The fact that no one runs the triple option should tell you everything about it's viability in the NFL.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Additionally, the triple option aside, resurrecting the I Formation would resurrect a few other woefully absent things that would be wonderful for a modern offense: the Iso/Lead play (with the immediately obvious complement the Iso Bootleg) and the toss sweep. There are also play action opportunities off of these that could go gangbusters. You don't get these out of Ace and Empty sets. Sure, Ace and Empty Spread sets can open up the running game on early downs because of the threat of the pass but doing that on third or fourth and short is a recipe for disaster (as we see every stinking week, it seems) because defenses never see the play action all streak anymore, allowing them to stuff the box. Returning to a two-back set will not only augment the blocking but will open up play action immensely. Add the triple option (with the associated play action) to that occasionally (as well as speed option out of your beloved Ace Spread sets), and the up-the-middle stuff will open up immensely....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Vikings cut starting CB Bashaud Breeland after a temper tantrum after practice....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/vikings-cu ... 58042.html

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:34 pm Additionally, the triple option aside, resurrecting the I Formation would resurrect a few other woefully absent things that would be wonderful for a modern offense: the Iso/Lead play (with the immediately obvious complement the Iso Bootleg) and the toss sweep. There are also play action opportunities off of these that could go gangbusters. You don't get these out of Ace and Empty sets. Sure, Ace and Empty Spread sets can open up the running game on early downs because of the threat of the pass but doing that on third or fourth and short is a recipe for disaster (as we see every stinking week, it seems) because defenses never see the play action all streak anymore, allowing them to stuff the box. Returning to a two-back set will not only augment the blocking but will open up play action immensely. Add the triple option (with the associated play action) to that occasionally (as well as speed option out of your beloved Ace Spread sets), and the up-the-middle stuff will open up immensely....
Going to the two-back set certainly helps a bit when running the ball, but the play-action stuff doesn't work as well because now you have one less guy out in the pattern. Lb'ers are now like safeties, they're good in coverage, so putting less people out in a pattern just makes it harder for the guys who are.