SH Omnibus Sports Megathread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: SH Omnibus Sports Megathread

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 62: NFL Scouts Flocking to D-II Lenoir-Rhyne

They haven't gone there in years, but the last few years, people have been jumping up to be noticed here out of nowhere. That includes a WR who had 9 catches total his first few years, then went gangbusters his third year. This is odd at a school running the Wing-T, something that's generally only seen at the Pop Warner level these days. (Incidentally, I can't stand the Wing-T. I grew up with the I-Formation and picked up a familiarity with the West Coast at UOP and Sac State, albeit with different terminology.)

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-draft- ... 02973.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 63: Must-Play Model for Rookie Quarterbacks

Commentator says this is a bad model. I've said the same thing for years. While the old-school model of a four-to-five year internship may well be a dinosaur, having a guy sit and learn for SOME period of time seems to be beneficial to both him AND his team. The commentator cites many good examples of that, including the one many now incorrectly claim to be the "GOAT." Those forced to start immediately are usually in bad team situations, and it can kill their confidence (Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson are key examples; while it's still way to early to claim that they're flops, being forced into the fray too soon is surely helping to keep the teams in mediocrity). I agree with this guy....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/the-must-p ... 55804.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 64: DEA Raids Redskins!

Head trainer suspended. Cray-cray....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/washington ... 51445.html

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

SuperHornet wrote:Topic 62: NFL Scouts Flocking to D-II Lenoir-Rhyne

They haven't gone there in years, but the last few years, people have been jumping up to be noticed here out of nowhere. That includes a WR who had 9 catches total his first few years, then went gangbusters his third year. This is odd at a school running the Wing-T, something that's generally only seen at the Pop Warner level these days. (Incidentally, I can't stand the Wing-T. I grew up with the I-Formation and picked up a familiarity with the West Coast at UOP and Sac State, albeit with different terminology.)

Prior to the Wing-T they were running the TO. Our SoCon title-winning coach AND his OC who is now our head coach were the coaching staff there. L-R knows football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

CID1990 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:21 pm
SuperHornet wrote:Topic 62: NFL Scouts Flocking to D-II Lenoir-Rhyne

Prior to the Wing-T they were running the TO. Our SoCon title-winning coach AND his OC who is now our head coach were the coaching staff there. L-R knows football.
Tubby was pretty successful with the Wing-T.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:10 pm
CID1990 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:21 pm
Tubby was pretty successful with the Wing-T.
Loved watching the Wing-T. Think UD lost some of it's aura when Tubby retired and took the Wing-T (or the variant they were running of it, it hadn't been pure Wing-T for 20 years) with him into retirement.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 65: The WNBA is an Afterthought?!?

Apparently, arena owners have no compunction about kicking women's professional teams out, even during the playoffs, for any and every reason. For example, the Phoenix Mercury have already had playoff games moved to GCU and to Danny White University because of scheduling conflicts involving a concert (GCU) and Disney on Ice (ASU). They FINALLY got a true home game when the Suns graciously moved their own preseason game.

This sort of thing is out of hand, and it's got to stop. It's disgusting, to say the least....

https://news.yahoo.com/phoenix-mercury- ... p_catchall

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 am Topic 65: The WNBA is an Afterthought?!?

Apparently, arena owners have no compunction about kicking women's professional teams out, even during the playoffs, for any and every reason. For example, the Phoenix Mercury have already had playoff games moved to GCU and to Danny White University because of scheduling conflicts involving a concert (GCU) and Disney on Ice (ASU). They FINALLY got a true home game when the Suns graciously moved their own preseason game.

This sort of thing is out of hand, and it's got to stop. It's disgusting, to say the least....

Eh, I can't get worked up about this. At the end of the day, it's about what makes the most money and the efficient use of the space. NBA teams have their schedules worked around things like Disney on Ice and the Circus (back when there was a circus). I remember that the 76'ers used to hit the road right after Christmas and go on a two and a half week road trip because some special event like that was coming in. Same things happen around political conventions and stuff like that. You hear the athletes gripe about all the hotel stays but it is what it is. If the WNBA drew the fans, then the money would be there and they wouldn't schedule other stuff around it. I know people will argue the chicken and the egg thing (i.e. if the NBA marketed and branded the WNBA like they do with the men's maybe more people would get on board and there would be true equity between the two), but I don't think sexism is the one and only difference between the popularity of the two different sports.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:14 am
SuperHornet wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 am Topic 65: The WNBA is an Afterthought?!?

Eh, I can't get worked up about this. At the end of the day, it's about what makes the most money and the efficient use of the space. NBA teams have their schedules worked around things like Disney on Ice and the Circus (back when there was a circus). I remember that the 76'ers used to hit the road right after Christmas and go on a two and a half week road trip because some special event like that was coming in. Same things happen around political conventions and stuff like that. You hear the athletes gripe about all the hotel stays but it is what it is. If the WNBA drew the fans, then the money would be there and they wouldn't schedule other stuff around it. I know people will argue the chicken and the egg thing (i.e. if the NBA marketed and branded the WNBA like they do with the men's maybe more people would get on board and there would be true equity between the two), but I don't think sexism is the one and only difference between the popularity of the two different sports.
Doing what's right is MUCH better than doing what's "cost effective." That's where USA Soccer is getting it wrong, too. Sexism may not be the ONLY thing wrong in sports, but that doesn't make it wrong to fix it....

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:34 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:14 am

Doing what's right is MUCH better than doing what's "cost effective." That's where USA Soccer is getting it wrong, too. Sexism may not be the ONLY thing wrong in sports, but that doesn't make it wrong to fix it....
The problem is what is "right" isn't always as clear cut as it would seem to be. You bring up USA Soccer, if we wanted to treat them equally we could, but there are nuances there. FIFA revenue generated from the men's WC versus the women's WC is substantially different. I'm sure it's partly because the rest of the world is far more sexist than the US is, but there's an order of magnitude difference in money regardless. Then there are different needs - the men's team has club soccer to fall back on, which is far more lucrative individually than is playing for country, so they can and did collectively bargain for different things. The women's side is the same deal in terms of collectively bargaining for what they want - club soccer is far less lucrative for them so they needed different things from the national federation. It's why, when USA Soccer says they'll offer the same exact package to men's and women's teams, the women are already objecting because they'll lose things they want that aren't just money. Details, but important details.

I don't have a problem with holding the NCAA to task and having them make as equal as they can the men's and women's March Madness tournaments (see, already using the branding for both). It's supposed to be non-profit focused anyway (not that not-for-profit colleges aren't all about the money, but I'll play along with the nomenclature), so in that case there is no compelling reason not to give them equal billing and resources. I don't necessarily feel that way about professional sports, at least with basketball as an example, where it's more about what the market wants and where the money flows to.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 66: A New Race for Danica?

Danica Patrick has a new race in which to compete. She has drawn bib #500 (in recognition of her racing achievements) for today's Boston Marathon.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/f ... 119030234/

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:22 am Topic 66: A New Race for Danica?

Danica Patrick has a new race in which to compete. She has drawn bib #500 (in recognition of her racing achievements) for today's Boston Marathon.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/f ... 119030234/
Danica finished in 4:01:21.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/10/11/ ... oundation/

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 67: Arbitrary Replay Rules Killing MLB

Apparently, catches in the outfield ARE reviewable, but catches in the infield are NOT. This was brought to notice during the MIL-ATL NLDS when Adam Duval was called out on an infield popup that ricocheted off one infielder and was apparently caught by another. The call was challenged, and replay clearly showed that the second infielder had trapped the ball. Yet the out call stood because of that odd arbitrary rule that INFIELD catches are NOT reviewable.

What gives?!?

[tweet][/tweet]

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/arbitrary- ... 53371.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 68: Emergency Surgery for the Hacksaw

WWE legend "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan was rushed into emergency surgery today for undisclosed reasons. He recently had surgery in 2018 for Afib and again in 2019 for another heart-related infection.

:cry:

https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/wwe-hack ... -of-famer/

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 69: Crazy Intergender MMA Fight

Apparently, this actually happened, but it sounds extremely dangerous, even by MMA standards. A 135-lb female flyweight VOLUNTARILY took on a 529-lb male superheavyweight...and dominated him.

While I don't mind the idea of intergender fights given the proviso that such a matchup is voluntary on both sides (i.e. no pressure from the promoter), I'd want to be careful of such a weight difference. Heck, I'd hesitate to book a male-male matchup with this weight difference. While I certainly don't subscribe to the idea that ANY male at ANY time can beat (nay, destroy) ANY female in ANY sport (yes, that attitude still exists, although we all know cherry-picked counter-examples), this is dangerous. Sure, given that she had a 3-1 MMA record going into this, we can assume that she had sufficient training to undertake a bout, and that we can assume that as a flyweight, she would have better speed than her opponent, I'm not sure how that would benefit her in the long run, given that despite the likelihood that he'd be immobile, his blubber would act as something of a shield from whatever blows she could muster, and anything even resembling a body slam, choke slam, or frog splash on his part could put her in the hospital. Similarly, given the size of his body, submission holds would likely be near impossible to achieve. I could only see her winning by surviving the match to win on points. I highly doubt that a win by KO/TKO or submission would be in the cards. And the same would be true for any male fighting this behemoth under these conditions. I'd rather see a flyweight-vs. flyweight intergender match....

Of course, she got what she REALLY wanted out of it...a Bellator contract....

https://sports.yahoo.com/darina-mazdyuk ... p_catchall

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 70: St. Thomas, Part Deux

A youth team in Texas has been banished from the playoff because they are "too good" and will hurt people's feelings. They recently won a game 199-6. The VP who made the decision was likely motivated by the fact that HIS team was also in the league and got ripped to shreds by this one.

My take: if they were indeed a "select" team, they shouldn't have been included in the league to begin with. If you let them in for the regular season, they should be in for the playoffs. Now you have ANOTHER set of kids who are hurt, this time by the actions of a self-centered adult. SMH....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-youth- ... 56556.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 71: Iggles Fan Goes Viral with Epic Anti-Zebra Rant

Mary Kate Mink was at the game with her husband and two sons, and she was upset, alongside other Philly fans, over a bad roughing the passer penalty gave New Orleans new life, and went off just as FOX cameras hit her. It went viral. Her son told her that she'd gone viral on Barstool Sports Philly; she didn't know that the camera was on her. Her mom was p!$$ed that she'd cursed on TV. When she turned her phone back on, she found 86 new texts about it.

It's not audible, but you can easily read her lips. "That's [bleeping] bull[bleep]!"

While I can't condone her language, I can certainly understand her ire, as I've felt like that myself at most games I attend. I generally keep myself to things like "That's bologna!", "How much did ______ pay you for that cr@p?!?", and "Fire the zebras!" But I can definitely understand her fire....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/eagles-fan ... 47078.html

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:58 pm Topic 70: St. Thomas, Part Deux

A youth team in Texas has been banished from the playoff because they are "too good" and will hurt people's feelings. They recently won a game 199-6. The VP who made the decision was likely motivated by the fact that HIS team was also in the league and got ripped to shreds by this one.

My take: if they were indeed a "select" team, they shouldn't have been included in the league to begin with. If you let them in for the regular season, they should be in for the playoffs. Now you have ANOTHER set of kids who are hurt, this time by the actions of a self-centered adult. SMH....

Why is a select/competitive level team playing in a rec league? Maybe the league director is a sore loser for keeping them out. Maybe the coach is compensating because he's worried he'll get out-coached against better competition.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:32 am
SuperHornet wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:58 pm Topic 70: St. Thomas, Part Deux

Why is a select/competitive level team playing in a rec league? Maybe the league director is a sore loser for keeping them out. Maybe the coach is compensating because he's worried he'll get out-coached against better competition.
All good questions. And all questions that should have been addressed before the season started. To deny them the playoffs after the regular season ends is HIGHLY prejudicial and unfair.

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:10 pm
UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:32 am
All good questions. And all questions that should have been addressed before the season started. To deny them the playoffs after the regular season ends is HIGHLY prejudicial and unfair.
If they were upfront about who they were then you are correct. If Flower Mound was dishonest about who they were when they applied to join the league then this is on them. There are clubs/teams that will take liberties with the rules in order to give themselves a competitive advantage and beat up on lesser teams. My gut tells me there is at least a 50% chance that Flower Mound did that.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:16 am Topic 53: It's Not Just Economics...It's Sports, Too

QBs are ditching Cali in droves. Blame it on Newsom or not, it's happening....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/can-anythi ... 45157.html
LOL at trying to dig at Newsom when that has nothing to do with it.

And LOL at the people that complain about Californians moving to their state, while cheering on a Californian as their Hero QB
:thumb:
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:29 pm Not officially a "topic" today as I'm about to leave my coffee shop, but I just saw a line in a thread on the FB Rams Fans page that cracked me up. I edited it for typos.

"The best part of waking up is Cooper in your Kupp!"

:rofl:
They have coffee shops in Lodi?
:thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

dbackjon wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:15 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:29 pm Not officially a "topic" today as I'm about to leave my coffee shop, but I just saw a line in a thread on the FB Rams Fans page that cracked me up. I edited it for typos.

"The best part of waking up is Cooper in your Kupp!"

They have coffee shops in Lodi?

I'm at one right now.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:22 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:10 pm

If they were upfront about who they were then you are correct. If Flower Mound was dishonest about who they were when they applied to join the league then this is on them. There are clubs/teams that will take liberties with the rules in order to give themselves a competitive advantage and beat up on lesser teams. My gut tells me there is at least a 50% chance that Flower Mound did that.
Very good point. We saw that with that fake HS this year using fraud to get on ESPN....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 72: The USFL is Back!

FOX is bringing back the USFL with the original 8 team names. But there's a catch. Similar to one of the recent spring leagues, all games will be co-located in one place TBD. One suggested location is Birmingham. It's apparently all about TV, and attendance doesn't matter to the organizers.

North Division:

Michigan Panthers
New Jersey Generals
Philadelphia Stars
Pittsburgh Maulers

South Division:

Birmingham Stallions
Houston Gamblers
New Orleans Breakers
Tampa Bay Bandits

https://sports.yahoo.com/usfl-return-ei ... p_catchall