SH Omnibus Sports Megathread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: SH Omnibus Sports Megathread

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 81: Hammon Gets Tired of Waiting

Long promised the HC role in San Antonio whenever Gregg Popovich finally retired, Becky Hammon finally recognized that the senile guy wasn't going to oblige any time soon. Seeing that other NBA teams were only going to interview her to satisfy whatever the NBA calls their version of the Rooney Rule for diversity, Hammon has accepted an offer to succeed the semi-retired Bill Laimbeer as HC of the Las Vegas Aces of the WNBA, returning to the team that made her famous for the largest coaching salary in league history, and much more than any player. Laimbeer started stepping away during the 2021 season, allowing Tanisha Wright to run practices and lead during games until she left to take over the Atlanta Dream. Laimbeer will stay with the Aces in a consultant role, mainly focusing on roster construction.

About time Hammon gets the recognition she deserves. Too bad she had to leave the NBA to do it....

:ohno:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ap-source-hamm ... 46528.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 82: Bogus Goodell PAT

Roger Goodell has got to go. He has made the sport of football unrecognizable with stupid rules from putting a skirt on quarterbacks to the nearly impossible onside kick to the awful 32-yard PAT. So it's "too easy?" How about moving it back to the two yard line (where it's ALWAYS been, still is for two-point conversions, and still is for PATs at every other level of football) with the proviso that the PAT be attempted via dropkick?

The benefits:

1. The weird misses are eliminated, but the level of difficulty increases somewhat.
2. The shift of the ball between two different levels on a two-point conversion offensive penalty is eliminated. (That just happened this weekend.)
3. The viability of a fake PAT is still in effect. (Also seen this weekend when the QB and the kicker were on the field at the same time, forcing the Cowboys to take a time out, directly leading to their loss.)

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 83: TN House Caucus Chair Goes Nutso.

Why is this in a sports thread, you ask? Read on.

TN House GOP Caucus Chair Jeremy Faison went berserk during a basketball game between two private high schools, trying to provoke a ref into fighting him, culminating in an unsuccessful attempt to depants the ref and his ejection from the gym. The live feed was removed from the home school's site. Police were contacted, but did not come, and the action was reported to the State HS Association. Faison has apologized on his Twitter feed, but nothing else has happened yet.

Cray-cray.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tennessee-lawm ... 51987.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 84: Another Woman Making Men's Sports News

Per Adam Schefter, the Vikings have offered an interview for GM to Eagles VP of Football Operations Catherine Raiche, apparently the current senior woman in player personnel. Apparently, she would be the SECOND female GM in the NFL, following Susan Tose Spencer with Philly in 1983....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 85: Someone Tosses Molotov Cocktail into McGregor's Pub

Wow....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/conor-mcgr ... 46566.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 86: Coaching History

Washington Redskins (yes, I'm still rebelling) Assistant RB Coach Jennifer King will make history as RB Coach in the East-West Shrine Bowl. No word on which team she'll coach. (Geography isn't a guarantee, as at least one NFL team has coaches split between the teams.) King will be the first woman to coach a position in this game. (Former 49ers and Chiefs assistant coach Jennifer Sowers, who should have been OC and QBs Coach in SF, was a generic assistant to the HC in one Shrine Bowl.)

Congratulations, Coach King!

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/spor ... l/2942791/

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 87: Manziel Runs His Mouth

Apparently, failed QB Johnny Manziel went on Twitter this weekend to state that "Cleveland sucks."

https://www.aol.com/nfl-world-reacts-jo ... 56872.html

The reaction of Cleveland fans:

phpBB [video]

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 88: Trinity Rodman Signs Largest NWSL Contract EVER

The daughter of that punk Dennis "The Worm" Rodman signed with the Washington (DC) Spirit for $1.1M. This amid all the front office leadership angst going on with that team....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/trinity-ro ... 00675.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 89: Megatron Loses Award to WHO?!?

Just saw that Lions HOFer WR Calvin "Megatron" Johnson lost the 2003 GA High School Player of the Year Award to Rams HC Sean McVay.

Wow....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 90: New American Indoor Record!

South Dakota alum Chris Nilsen just set the American indoor record in the pole vault in France with a jump of 19'9". Amazing....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/university-s ... 02646.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 91: The Super Bowl Loser is...

...the Los Angeles Chargers.

Dean Spanos stupidly left San Diego to play second banana to the Rams at SoFi Stadium. The author here posits that the Chargers, banking on an already existing Latino fan base in San Diego, could have started NFL expansion into Latin America by moving to Mexico City.

I've felt for years that the Spanos family, despite their origin in Stockton, the home of UOP, has ruined the Chargers. They could have been huge as the Cargadores de Ciudad de Mexico.

:doh:

https://sports.yahoo.com/whoever-wins-s ... 18565.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 92: The End of the Best Intercontinental Championship Match EVER

Celebrating the 9th Wonder of the World...gone too soon....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 93: Liberty Pitcher Tosses a No-No!

Congratulations to Liberty Flames pitcher Karlie Keeney, who no-hit Maryland to snag Liberty's first win on the season. This is the 20th no-no in program history, and the first against a P5 program. Liberty won 9-0. The game was called after four and a half innings due to the run rule. Liberty followed that up with a two-hitter against FAU. Liberty now stands at 2-5 on the season....

Interestingly enough, Liberty played the DP to the hilt, using the DP in place of the CF, while Maryland used their DP more as an MLB DH, in place of the pitcher. I would SO love to see MLB either dispense with the DH rule or replace it with this DP rule; there's no legitimate reason why a .300-hitting pitcher should have to sit so that a .150-hitting shortstop can strike out....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 94: Flores Hired

The NFL racism suit (vs. NFL, Dolphins, Giants, and Broncos; surprised they didn't add HOU after allegations that Lovie Smith was hired over Flores because of the suit) is still ongoing, but the Steelers have hired plaintiff Brian Flores as Sr Defensive Assistant/LBers Coach.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/brian-flor ... 07783.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 95: This Guy Makes Connors and McEnroe Look Like Saints

#3 ranked Alexander Sverev is booted from the Mexican Open for going off on the chair umpire both during and after a doubles match. There were more F-bombs than could conveniently be counted, and he assaulted the chair umpire's feet with his racket after the match. SMH....

https://www.aol.com/video-men-tennis-st ... 45964.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 96: Bucs Unis

Tampa is returning to their original creamsicle unis for 2023. The only reason they're not doing it for 22 is that they asked NFL permission too late....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nf ... d=msedgntp

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 97: INCREDEIBLE ECHL Play

This ECHL goalie comes out of the crease to cover the puck at the top of the circles. I didn't even know such a thing was legal in hockey. I've seen it in soccer, but not hockey.

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 98: Watch Out for this Up-and-Coming Official

Shannon Ford of Oklahoma is making news as a football umpire. That might raise some eyebrows because female in the NFL are all Down Judges (what used to be the Head Linesman, about as "safe" an officiating position as there is on the football field). Umpire at most levels is aligned near the middle linebacker, catching mid-line holding penalties and offside calls. So why there? She grew up playing LBer. I'd love to see her at the college level (which still has umpires in the correct spot; that's another thing Goodell has messed up in the NFL.)

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/ ... bsB0aNvDiE

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:42 am Topic 98: Watch Out for this Up-and-Coming Official

Shannon Ford of Oklahoma is making news as a football umpire. That might raise some eyebrows because female in the NFL are all Down Judges (what used to be the Head Linesman, about as "safe" an officiating position as there is on the football field). Umpire at most levels is aligned near the middle linebacker, catching mid-line holding penalties and offside calls. So why there? She grew up playing LBer. I'd love to see her at the college level (which still has umpires in the correct spot; that's another thing Goodell has messed up in the NFL.)

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/ ... bsB0aNvDiE
The traditional location is a better position for the Umpire to see and make calls from but it's also more dangerous and Umpires aren't wearing helmets and pads like the players.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 99: WNBA Player Spends Off-Season Schooling Unbelieving Guys

About freaking time SOMEBODY does this....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wnba-star-we ... 00506.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 100: Sunny Arrested for DUI

Tammy Lynn Sytch, better known by her ring name Sunny, has been arrested for a fatal DUI in Florida last month. When arrested at the hospital, she was found to have three and a half times the legal alcohol limit in her system. Sytch has been charged with one count of fatal DUI, one count of causing death while driving with a suspended or revoked license, four counts of DUI resulting in injury, and three counts of DUI causing property damage. She was released after posting $227K bail.

Sunny had a really good wrestling career, particularly in WWE, not so much for her wrestling, but for her evil acts as a manager. In recent years, though, the 49-year-old has really gone off the deep end.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/fo ... ar-AAX1B8D

cx500d
Level1
Level1
I am a fan of: NDSU

Post by cx500d »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:46 am Topic 85: Someone Tosses Molotov Cocktail into McGregor's Pub

Wow....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/conor-mcgr ... 46566.html
a russian false flag operation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Anyone heard from 89? How did he take TPC Potomac and not his beloved Congressional hosting a PGA event in the DC area?
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

UNI88 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:51 pm Anyone heard from 89? How did he take TPC Potomac and not his beloved Congressional hosting a PGA event in the DC area?
Who?
:thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 101: Seattle Storm's Breanna Stewart Proposes Taxi Squad...

...and a soft salary cap to alleviate the problem of small WNBA rosters, which apparently make it hard to practice....

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-the-salary ... 57638.html