SH Omnibus Sports Megathread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: SH Omnibus Sports Megathread

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 23: Bad Baserunning is Ruining Baseball

A perspective on how the game of baseball has changed for the worse. While he's not mentioned, a lot has to do with the so-called "offensive" strategy of that nincompoop Bruce Bochy, who notoriously would get a guy on first and then sit and wait for the jack. It's insidious philosophies like this and the way pitchers are misused that have ruined the game for me....

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/315 ... e-baseball

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:20 am Topic 23: Bad Baserunning is Ruining Baseball

A perspective on how the game of baseball has changed for the worse. While he's not mentioned, a lot has to do with the so-called "offensive" strategy of that nincompoop Bruce Bochy, who notoriously would get a guy on first and then sit and wait for the jack. It's insidious philosophies like this and the way pitchers are misused that have ruined the game for me....

The 94-95 Striker ruined it for me. I tuned out and rarely tune in. I've occasionally caught a game live but that's more to hang out with friends or family and drink a few beers than to watch the game.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:20 am Topic 23: Bad Baserunning is Ruining Baseball

Earl Weaver invented that philosophy with the Orioles before anybody knew who Bruce Bochy even was.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:50 pm

Earl Weaver invented that philosophy with the Orioles before anybody knew who Bruce Bochy even was.
That doesn't surprise me. Weaver likely distracted my attention with his Martin-esque penchant for getting tossed. Bochy had to have gotten that idea SOMEWHERE (though I don't think he ever worked directly with Weaver, having spent his entire playing career in the National League, between Houston, NY Mets, and Padres, where I knew him).

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 24: HUGE Soccer Doubleheader

Seattle Sounders FC and OL Reign FC have announced a joint doubleheader at Lumen Field (joint home for Sounders FC and the Seattle Seahawks) against their bitter rivals in PDX. Portland Thorns FC will face off with OL Reign at 1600 29 AUG, while Portland Timbers FC will take on Sounders FC at 1930. One HUGE problem for PDX: Reign FC have one Eugenie Le Sommer on loan from Olympique Lyonnais, along with her Team France teammate goaltender Sarah Bouhaddi, Team USA midfielder Rose Lavelle, and USA forward Megan Rapinoe. Thorns FC only has USA fullbacks Becky Sauerbrunn and Meghan Klingenberg, and USA halfbacks Crystal Dunn and Lindsey Horan, Team Finland fullback Natalia Kuikka, and Team Costa Rica halfback Rocky Rodriguez, and Team Canada forward Christine Sinclair (OK, she'll be a good matchup for Le Sommer). Outside of Sinclair, the international goal-scoring leader for both genders, I don't think even these international stars with PDX will be able to stand up to Le Sommer, Bouhaddi, Lavelle, and Rapinoe. This is one matchup I would love to see....

(I'll admit that I'm biased, though, because Le Sommer is my favorite active soccer player....)

https://www.olreign.com/news/doubleheader

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 25: Odd Scheduling for CFL

The CFL has some odd COVID-influenced scheduling this year. At a time when the NFL is expanding their schedule, the CFL is delaying the start of the season by two months due to a "third wave", and therefore reducing the schedule from 18 games to 14. But game selection is odd. I guess they usually do three intra-division games and a enough divisional cross-over games to get to 18. For Calgary, the COVID schedule does include a complete cross-over schedule, but only Saskatchewan and British Columbia get the full three-game treatment; Winnipeg and Edmonton are only getting a home-and-home schedule, similar to what the NFL does with games within the division. And they're completely dispensing with pre-season, too, it seems. Cray-cray....

The CFL IS doing their usual weird day scheduling, though:

Sat 07 AUG 1600 PST Toronto at Calgary
Thu 12 AUG 1830 PST British Columbia at Calgary
Fri 20 AUG 1830 PST Montreal at Calgary
Sun 29 AUG 1600 PST Calgary at Winnipeg
Mon 06 SEP 1330 PST Edmonton at Calgary
Sat 11 SEP 1600 PST Calgary at Edmonton
Fri 17 SEP 1600 PST Calgary at Hamilton
Week 8 BYE
Sat 02 OCT 1600 PST Saskatchewan at Calgary
Sat 09 OCT 1600 PST Calgary at Saskatchewan
Sat 16 OCT 1600 PST Calgary at British Columbia
Sat 23 OCT 1845 PST Saskatchewan at Calgary
Fri 29 OCT 1600 PST Calgary at Ottawa
Week 14 BYE
Fri 12 NOV 1930 PST Calgary at British Columbia
Sat 20 NOV 1600 PST Winnipeg at Calgary

Sun 12 DEC 1500 PST 108th Grey Cup

https://www.stampeders.com/schedule/?fb ... RzgiWztqis

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 26: Rodgers Trade?

I'm not sure why this is still getting traction, but so-called "analysts" are still calling for the Packers to trade Aaron Rodgers to Denver. My gut reaction is, "Why on Earth would Green Bay do THAT?!?" A quick look at the Denver roster shows nobody of worth for a straight-up trade (except possibly RB Melvin Gordon III, and I'm not even sure about that). If Denver were to do it with a group of players, I'm not sure their entire roster (remember Ditka's famous trade of the entire draft to get Ricky Williams?) would be enough. It would have to be a cash deal, and I'm not so sure Denver would have enough cache to pull THAT off. (I wouldn't be surprised if GB were to charge $1B for him.)

I think it's either play for GB or retire for Rodgers. Denver is NOT a stop-off point for him unless GB stupidly cuts him, and I don't think they'll do that. At worst, they'll place him on some sort of reserve/suspension list. Let's get this Rodgers-to-Denver trash stopped now. Not going to happen. Ever.

https://www.aol.com/nfl-analyst-says-1- ... 40821.html

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

SuperHornet wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:37 pm Topic 26: Rodgers Trade?

I'm not sure why this is still getting traction, but so-called "analysts" are still calling for the Packers to trade Aaron Rodgers to Denver. My gut reaction is, "Why on Earth would Green Bay do THAT?!?" A quick look at the Denver roster shows nobody of worth for a straight-up trade (except possibly RB Melvin Gordon III, and I'm not even sure about that). If Denver were to do it with a group of players, I'm not sure their entire roster (remember Ditka's famous trade of the entire draft to get Ricky Williams?) would be enough. It would have to be a cash deal, and I'm not so sure Denver would have enough cache to pull THAT off. (I wouldn't be surprised if GB were to charge $1B for him.)

I think it's either play for GB or retire for Rodgers. Denver is NOT a stop-off point for him unless GB stupidly cuts him, and I don't think they'll do that. At worst, they'll place him on some sort of reserve/suspension list. Let's get this Rodgers-to-Denver trash stopped now. Not going to happen. Ever.

There isn't a RB in the NFL worth trading for an All Star QB like Rogers.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:49 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:37 pm Topic 26: Rodgers Trade?

There isn't a RB in the NFL worth trading for an All Star QB like Rogers.
I'd agree with that. I don't think there's been a RB worth that much since at least Emmitt Smith, and possibly further back than that....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 27: Sowers Joins Chiefs?

The NFL announced on FB that former Kansas City Tribe quarterback and SF 49ers assistant Katie Sowers has joined the Kansas City Chiefs coaching staff. This is not reflected on the Chiefs' roster as yet. I'm wondering what she'll be doing there; Eric Bienemy is still OC (though he SHOULD be a HC by now), and they already have a QBs Coach/Passing Game Coordinator. She announced the move on Instagram last month, but still no word from KC on what Sowers' role will be....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/fo ... ar-AAKpMAN

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 28: Rick Carlisle Out in Dallas

HC Rick Carlisle has opted out of his last two years as HC of the Dallas Mavericks.

Next HC: Becky Hammon?

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 29: Mighty Mouse Out at UOP

Damon "Mighty Mouse" Stoudamire has resigned as head of men's hoops at University of the Pacific to accept an assistant role with the Boston Celtics. This after he was turned down (inexplicably) for the head coach position at Arizona. Stoudamire went from splashy big-name hire with a problem program in 2016 to a respectable program despite the pandemic. He has been succeeded by Leonard Perry, previously Stoudamire's associate head coach and associate head coach under Larry Eustachy at Colorado State and Southern Mississippi. Perry was also head coach at Idalol in the early 2000s.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-ce ... assistant/

https://pacifictigers.com/news/2021/7/7 ... coach.aspx

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 30: Padres Pitcher Steals the Show

Congratulations to San Diego Padres relief pitcher Daniel Camarena, who just got his first Major League hit: a 4th inning grand slam of Washington Nationals ace Max Scherzer. It's not often that a guy's first hit is a grand slam!

More proof that this whole "pitchers can't hit by definition" paradigm is bogus....

https://sports.yahoo.com/padres-pitcher ... 40576.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 31: Bogus Roboumping

Former MLBer Jordan Pacheco was just admonished by the Atlantic League for bashing the roboump behind home plate for this particularly egregious missed call: a "strike three" that was WAY outside. The League had the nads to say that roboumping was somehow "more accurate" than "real" umpires, despite this clear evidence to the contrary. The box was way overboard in playing "Let It Go" from Frozen when Pacheco complained about it.

:ohno:

https://sports.yahoo.com/jordan-pacheco ... 29182.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 32: Sherman Arrested

Free Agent safety Richard Sherman, released by SF in February, has been arrested in WA for "burglary domestic violence," a charge that is being investigated as a potential felony.

Wow....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-former ... 12207.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 33: Domestic Violence by the Wife...AGAIN!

The wife of Steelers QB Dwayne Haskins has been arrested and charged with knocking out one of his teeth and cutting his lip during a fracas at the Cosmopolitan in Lost Wages last month. Shades of late actress Tawny Kitaen, who beat up HER then-husband, Angels pitcher Chuck Finley, with a stiletto heel. It does look, though, that the Haskins family may be moving past this, though she DOES still have to face charges....

https://news.yahoo.com/wife-former-wash ... 00773.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 34: Baffert Banishment Nullified by Judge

HOF Trainer Bob Baffert has been reinstated in NY following a judge's ruling that the NY Racing Association's failure to hold a hearing before rushing to suspend him was unconstitutional.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-s ... ar-AAMczM0

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 35: Real Life Follows Fiction?

Just weeks after Baron Corbin's truck was stolen/repossessed (WWE storyline after Shinsuke Nakamura took Corbin's King of the Ring crown, starting a downward spiral), someone has stolen Atlanta Falcons kicker Younghoe Koo's Jeep, including his cleats that were inside. All Koo wants back are his cleats, so he can ensure that the Falcons don't miss any of Commissioner Roger Goodell's bogus extended extra points this season. Talk about real life following fiction....

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-falcon ... 09735.html

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 36: USWNT Gives UP a Short TOUCHDOWN in Epic Loss to Sweden!

Sweden has always been a peer competitor in this sport, but whodathunk THIS would happen?!? Our 44-match winning streak is now history....

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/us-women ... 689fa451ec

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

SuperHornet wrote:Topic 36: USWNT Gives UP a Short TOUCHDOWN in Epic Loss to Sweden!

Sweden has always been a peer competitor in this sport, but whodathunk THIS would happen?!? Our 44-match winning streak is now history....

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/us-women ... 689fa451ec
Huffpost is mostly a political outlet and the fact that they are reporting on USWNT soccer makes me chuckle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 37: The Calgary Flames Woke Up on the Wrong Side of the Bed

https://www.facebook.com/NHLFlames/post ... 3057318704

:rofl:

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 38: Cleveland Indians to Change Name

Apparently, the Cleveland Indians at some unnamed date will become the Cleveland Guardians. This is in response to the continued backlash over the name. For years, I'd thought the team was named for Jim Thorpe, but he never played for Cleveland; in fact, he never even played in the American League. During Thorpe's relatively short baseball career, he was mostly with the New York Giants, though he DID get traded to Cincinnati in 1917 (and got traded BACK to NYG the same season), and played his last year with the Boston Braves.

I guess what got me thinking that was the fact that he played for the NFL's barnstorming Oorang Indians (a joke to begin with because while the team consisted entirely of Native Americans, like Thorpe, the whole purpose was to promote the owner's dog kennels, probably worse than the use of the Green Bay Packers to promote a packing business).

Ignoring the reason for the name change (though it's a good thing because the old Chief Wahoo mascot WAS insulting, to say the least), my reaction to the new choice (though I do admit that having a name of ANY sort is better than the long drawn-out thing Washington is enduring at present) is that it's corny. I thought of reverting to a previous name (as Cleveland had MANY names before they settled on the Indians in 1915), but those are probably corny as well. In the American League era, the Cleveland franchise was known as the Naps (after stalwart 2B Nap Lajoie), the Bronchos, and the Blues (short for Bluebirds). Before the American League era, the franchise was actually the Grand Rapids Rustlers, but there were teams in Cleveland called the Infants, the Spiders, the Blues, and the Forest Citys. The best of all of those is probably the Spiders, but would a male baseball team REALLY want to be known for Charlotte? So, while something better than the Guardians COULD have been found, even THAT is probably better than any previous name of a Cleveland baseball team....

https://news.yahoo.com/cleveland-indian ... p_catchall

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 39: Vikings Fire OL Coach/Run Game Coordinator

Just before training camp starts, the Minnesota Vikings have fired OL Coach/Run Game Coordinator Rick Dennison because he refused the COVID-19 vaccine. He's the first casualty of the NFL's regs. Major issue: PLAYERS are protected from such treatment, but apparently coaches are not. This is a problem that has got to end NOW.

https://sports.yahoo.com/vikings-fire-o ... p_catchall

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 39A: Hold Your Horses

Now it appears that those reports that the Vikings had fired their OL Coach over vaccination concerns may be premature. The team is now said to be "in talks" with him, probably trying to convince him to take the vaccine. In the long run, that route might be cheaper than having to pay him a severance package and having to scramble to find a replacement (who must ALSO be paid) just weeks before training camp starts....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/vi ... ar-AAMutqc

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Topic 40: Rodgers in Camp; Demanding WR Trade

Word is that QB Aaron Rodgers has reported to training camp with the Packers, but is demanding a trade that would bring WR Randall Cobb back from the Texans....

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-aaron-r ... p_catchall