2021 Motorsports Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: 2021 Motorsports Thread

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:12 pm
Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:07 pm Hamilton said earlier this year that he would retire after this year (he's on a 1-year contract with Merc). Toto implied he wasn't happy with the 1 year term, which further implies that was Hamilton's choice. He's supposed to be continuing his relationship with Merc but with these guys and their egos...I'd almost expect him to end up racing again.
Hamilton is signed through 2023.
He signed an extension? I don't follow the F1 news that closely but I don't recall seeing that.

Edit: I see it. $147M contract. :shock: Good god!!
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Hamilton's front jack man must have f'ed one of his girlfriends.
Last edited by 93henfan on Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

I can't see it but I assume it's Hamilton hitting the guy. Didn't Lance do the same thing? lol
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Hamilton shot Mercedes in the foot in Q3, scraping (and cracking) his front wing on pit entry, thereby preventing Bottas and himself from getting the needed two laps at speed on the softs to get them to temperature. Now he starts fourth when Mercedes clearly has the best car. It'll probably take several laps to clear the slop in front of him, and that's if he even gets a good start, which he usually doesn't

Hamilton seems to be hitting that age where F1 drivers start losing that little bit of mental edge. Vettel and Raikkonen are already there.

Anything short of P1 is a disaster for Hamilton tomorrow, with Red Bull choosing to take the power unit penalty.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Win #100 for Lewis Hamilton in Sochi as he continues to write new records for F1. :clap: :notworthy:

Brilliant comeback from 7th place after another shit start. Rain begins with 7 laps to go. Hamilton, in second behind Norris, pits for inters. Comes out 25 seconds behind with three laps to go. Norris loses all usable traction and coughs up the lead.

Verstappen sneaks in for 2nd to stay close in the points, with a power unit penalty still coming for Hamilton at some point. This is so much more fun to watch than NASCAR.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

This season has been so good.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:34 am Win #100 for Lewis Hamilton in Sochi as he continues to write new records for F1. :clap: :notworthy:

Brilliant comeback from 7th place after another shit start. Rain begins with 7 laps to go. Hamilton, in second behind Norris, pits for inters. Comes out 25 seconds behind with three laps to go. Norris loses all usable traction and coughs up the lead.

Verstappen sneaks in for 2nd to stay close in the points, with a power unit penalty still coming for Hamilton at some point. This is so much more fun to watch than NASCAR.
Absolutely gutted for Lando. He was surely Driver of the Day. Just to think - if he had changed tires he would have had P1. If only that rain had held off another 30-40 minutes This was truly a race when tire management was so important. You could tell Hamilton had it after he closed a 25 second gap in 1 lap. Hamilton and Verstappen drove well, capitalized on so many drivers pitting in laps 50-52.

Did you hear Verstappen at the end? Dude was so happy to end P2. :lol: It was a good race.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:34 am Win #100 for Lewis Hamilton in Sochi as he continues to write new records for F1. :clap: :notworthy:

Just watched the race replay. Wow what a finish the rain gave us. :clap:

Pit too soon and the intermediates get burned up....pit too late and you be like Norris. Crazy how well timed the decisions have to be in F1.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Any NASCAR Updates?
:thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:42 pm Any NASCAR Updates?
They turned left.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

dbackjon wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:42 pm Any NASCAR Updates?
Dumbass (or just deaf) blond NBC reporter Kelly Stavast makes case for why women shouldn’t be in the pits during interview of Xfinity winner at Talladega on Saturday: :dunce: :lol: :rofl:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Man, our country is not exactly at its highest point in the class department. Cringeworthy.

NASCAR is in for a rude awakening when the bloated 10-year $8B NBC and Fox contracts expire after 2024. I'm guessing they'll go pay per view after that. The broadcasts are unwatchable, unless you DVR them and scroll through the 50% of air that is commercials.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:51 pm Man, our country is not exactly at its highest point in the class department. Cringeworthy.

NASCAR is in for a rude awakening when the bloated 10-year $8B NBC and Fox contracts expire after 2024. I'm guessing they'll go pay per view after that. The broadcasts are unwatchable, unless you DVR them and scroll through the 50% of air that is commercials.
Got a buddy hooked on F1 this year. He loves that it is non-stop racing with limited commercials. Him and his wife are die-hard NASCAR fans but with how little racing is actually happening at those races and the more strategy aspect of F1 (once I explained what was going on), he was hooked. We talk just about every race on what is happening and the highlights.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:01 pm
93henfan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:51 pm Man, our country is not exactly at its highest point in the class department. Cringeworthy.

Got a buddy hooked on F1 this year. He loves that it is non-stop racing with limited commercials. Him and his wife are die-hard NASCAR fans but with how little racing is actually happening at those races and the more strategy aspect of F1 (once I explained what was going on), he was hooked. We talk just about every race on what is happening and the highlights.
F1 has zero commercials during races, and they're over in 90 minutes. I will never go back to NASCAR.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:09 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:01 pm

F1 has zero commercials during races, and they're over in 90 minutes. I will never go back to NASCAR.
I love the short race. :nod:

For some reason I was thinking there was a couple of small blurbs but then I watch though a through a third party service as I do not have ESPN.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:15 pm

For some reason I was thinking there was a couple of small blurbs but then I watch though a through a third party service as I do not have ESPN.
ESPN simulcasts the Sky Sports feed from England. Zero commercials during the race. On Saturdays, they run a short commercial break after Q1 and after Q2. During P1-3, they will also throw in a couple of commercial breaks.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

93henfan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:27 pm

ESPN simulcasts the Sky Sports feed from England. Zero commercials during the race. On Saturdays, they run a short commercial break after Q1 and after Q2. During P1-3, they will also throw in a couple of commercial breaks.
:thumb:

I have watched enough this year that I really should just spring for ESPN or F1TVPro. In the past I caught maybe half the races, but this season I have done better.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Same here. I never was a NASCAR fan but those people waste their entire Sunday watching a race. I watch with LilCCU and 90 minutes is beyond her attention span however she makes it through the race. She'll play with dolls, we'll color or whatever but she gets into it and gets excited when her favorite team, Ferrari, is on screen.

Full disclosure - she likes Ferrari b/c of the Pony. :lol:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:59 am

Same here. I never was a NASCAR fan but those people waste their entire Sunday watching a race. I watch with LilCCU and 90 minutes is beyond her attention span however she makes it through the race. She'll play with dolls, we'll color or whatever but she gets into it and gets excited when her favorite team, Ferrari, is on screen.

LillCCU has expensive tastes. You should get her one for her 18th birthday. :D

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Winterborn wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:18 am
Ibanez wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:59 am

:lol: She's at that age where she wants everything. I made the "mistake" of explaining needs vs wants and now she's BSing me how she her wants are needs. :roll: Thankfully, she's realizing that she doesn't deserve things just b/c shes the only child and we can afford it.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

The one-off livery's for this weekend are sweet.

Red Bull

McLaren

McLaren > Red Bull
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

Ibanez wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:53 am
Winterborn wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:18 am

:lol: She's at that age where she wants everything. I made the "mistake" of explaining needs vs wants and now she's BSing me how she her wants are needs. :roll: Thankfully, she's realizing that she doesn't deserve things just b/c shes the only child and we can afford it.

A chip off the old block. :lol:

Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

The Red Bull picture didn't come through but I assume you mean this one below?

If so, I agree. McLaren is just a bit more stylish.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Red Bull didn't have a lot to work with, honestly. This is their going away present to Honda, which is leaving F1 again after 2021. The livery is in tribute to the first Honda victory in F1 in 1965, the RA272: