2021 Motorsports Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: 2021 Motorsports Thread

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:11 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:03 pm Good breakdown of the Max-Hamilton crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_J-sfngex4
Yeah. Same guy concluded that the wreck at Silverstone was not Hamilton's fault.

Full disclosure: I didn't watch the video past the 5 seconds of realizing it was the same guy. Let me guess. He says it's a "racing incident." He's not much on sticking his neck out on blame.

And let's face it: Hamilton caused the Silverstone wreck and Verstappen caused the Monza wreck if you're being honest with yourself. Eyes don't lie.
He actually said he felt Max was more to blame but I think he initially thought racing incident before doing side by side comparisons. He runs through some side by side incidents from past races and compares them to the Max-Lewis crash.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:15 pm
93henfan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:11 pm

Yeah. Same guy concluded that the wreck at Silverstone was not Hamilton's fault.

Full disclosure: I didn't watch the video past the 5 seconds of realizing it was the same guy. Let me guess. He says it's a "racing incident." He's not much on sticking his neck out on blame.

And let's face it: Hamilton caused the Silverstone wreck and Verstappen caused the Monza wreck if you're being honest with yourself. Eyes don't lie.
He actually said he felt Max was more to blame but I think he initially thought racing incident before doing side by side comparisons. He runs through some side by side incidents from past races and compares them to the Max-Lewis crash.
Go back and read my edit, because it's directed at you. I know your deal. :rofl:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:16 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:15 pm

Go back and read my edit, because it's directed at you. I know your deal. :rofl:
Oh that's cute that you think I care about F1 that much. You trigger way too easily on this topic. :lol:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:22 pm
93henfan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:16 pm

Oh that's cute that you think I care about F1 that much. You trigger way too easily on this topic. :lol:
Your numerous posts on F1, as well as your YouTube research, completely confused me then. Carry on. :thumb:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:23 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:22 pm

Your numerous posts on F1, as well as your YouTube research, completely confused me then. Carry on. :thumb:
I like following the action, and it has been the best season I've followed (I'm about 4ish years in) so far. :thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SDHornet wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:25 pm
93henfan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:23 pm

I like following the action, and it has been the best season I've followed (I'm about 4ish years in) so far. :thumb:
Pretty much the same here. I had given up on NASCAR, finally, sometime in the middle of the last decade. My youngest son started following F1 because he liked the video game. Started watching in 2016, and rooting for Hamilton because I couldn't stand Rosberg. By 2017, we attended our first GP in Canada.

Gotta love F1. Races are usually right after breakfast, usually go off rain or shine, only last an hour and a half, and no fucking commercials. NASCAR broadcasts are at least 50% commercials. And stage racing is just fucking stupid. I swear, every decision NASCAR has made in the last 15+ years has been the wrong one. It's uncanny.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:31 pm
SDHornet wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:25 pm

Pretty much the same here. I had given up on NASCAR, finally, sometime in the middle of the last decade. My youngest son started following F1 because he liked the video game. Started watching in 2016, and rooting for Hamilton because I couldn't stand Rosberg. By 2017, we attended our first GP in Canada.

Gotta love F1. Races are usually right after breakfast, usually go off rain or shine, only last an hour and a half, and no fucking commercials. NASCAR broadcasts are at least 50% commercials. And stage racing is just fucking stupid. I swear, every decision NASCAR has made in the last 15+ years has been the wrong one. It's uncanny.
I never really got into NASCAR. Tried it for a year like a decade ago and just couldn't get into it. The Hamilton-Rossberg stuff was over by the time I got into F1. The "Drive to Survive" Netflix series got me following F1, and it's in the summer before football so way more fun to watch than an MLB game.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote:
93henfan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:31 pm Pretty much the same here. I had given up on NASCAR, finally, sometime in the middle of the last decade. My youngest son started following F1 because he liked the video game. Started watching in 2016, and rooting for Hamilton because I couldn't stand Rosberg. By 2017, we attended our first GP in Canada.

I never really got into NASCAR. Tried it for a year like a decade ago and just couldn't get into it. The Hamilton-Rossberg stuff was over by the time I got into F1. The "Drive to Survive" Netflix series got me following F1, and it's in the summer before football so way more fun to watch than an MLB game.
Drive to Survive is how I got into it as well (that and a friend telling me how great F1 is). I’m 2 years in at this point. The races are quick, the tracks aren’t the same ovals, there’s a personality aspect to it, there are fun rivalries and I like how a race can be recorded and watched in about an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:28 am
SDHornet wrote:
Drive to Survive is how I got into it as well (that and a friend telling me how great F1 is). I’m 2 years in at this point. The races are quick, the tracks aren’t the same ovals, there’s a personality aspect to it, there are fun rivalries and I like how a race can be recorded and watched in about an hour.

:nod: I bough the F1 TV since I don't have cable and can watch the replays whenever I want for both qualis and the GPs (plus other interview stuff I never watch). Well worth the $80 for the year.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

I watched the new Netflix documentary Schumacher last night and highly recommend it. I knew of Schumacher's successes, but little of his struggles, which made for a terrific story. Some of the scenes are really jarring. I had seen Senna's fatal crash at Imola, usually in grainy YouTube clips on a small device. Seeing it on my 75" TV was jarring, as was watching the cockpit footage of Schumacher's nose-in crash at Silverstone. Also, during the opening credits they have an over the helmet view of a Schumacher Monaco lap and during the closing credits they have a camera pointed up at Schumacher from the windscreen area while he does a lap at Monaco, and both gave me chills
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote:I watched the new Netflix documentary Schumacher last night and highly recommend it. I knew of Schumacher's successes, but little of his struggles, which made for a terrific story. Some of the scenes are really jarring. I had seen Senna's fatal crash at Imola, usually in grainy YouTube clips on a small device. Seeing it on my 75" TV was jarring, as was watching the cockpit footage of Schumacher's nose-in crash at Silverstone. Also, during the opening credits they have an over the helmet view of a Schumacher Monaco lap and during the closing credits they have a camera pointed up at Schumacher from the windscreen area while he does a lap at Monaco, and both gave me chills
This is the second recommendation I e seen for this documentary and it’s just as positive. Ill try to watch it this week.

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ibanez wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:28 am
93henfan wrote:I watched the new Netflix documentary Schumacher last night and highly recommend it. I knew of Schumacher's successes, but little of his struggles, which made for a terrific story. Some of the scenes are really jarring. I had seen Senna's fatal crash at Imola, usually in grainy YouTube clips on a small device. Seeing it on my 75" TV was jarring, as was watching the cockpit footage of Schumacher's nose-in crash at Silverstone. Also, during the opening credits they have an over the helmet view of a Schumacher Monaco lap and during the closing credits they have a camera pointed up at Schumacher from the windscreen area while he does a lap at Monaco, and both gave me chills
This is the second recommendation I e seen for this documentary and it’s just as positive. Ill try to watch it this week.

Oh, the other thing I forgot to mention:

A 3.0L naturally aspirated V10's sound beats the flying fuck out of 1.6L turbo hybrid V6 sound. God, those things screamed back then. That's what F1 should sound like.

I'd need one of those Marlboro's he's advertising after this:
phpBB [video]
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Larson wins another one late over Harvick, who was about to come to blows with Elliott after the race. I'm frustrated yet again, as Byron couldn't squeeze past Harvick or Larson, finishing third. He DID get enough done to pass Almirola for the last spot in the next round, though.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Never thought Harvick would cuss on TV, but he's correct about Elliott and his "chicken[bleep]" behaviour.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:00 pm

A 3.0L naturally aspirated V10's sound beats the flying fuck out of 1.6L turbo hybrid V6 sound. God, those things screamed back then. That's what F1 should sound like.

phpBB [video]
I watched this last night. HOLY SMOKES! Really good, docu about MIke.
Spoiler: show
I ended up reading about the Senna crash and his injuries...basically had shrapnel going through his face, sliced his artery and lost 90% of his blood. :shock:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:43 am
I ended up reading about the Senna crash and his injuries...basically had shrapnel going through his face, sliced his artery and lost 90% of his blood. :shock:
There is speculation that the steering linkage failed. Can you imagine barreling into a pre-chicane Tamburello left and then getting no steering response?

Fuck me running!
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:02 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:43 am
There is speculation that the steering linkage failed. Can you imagine barreling into a pre-chicane Tamburello left and then getting no steering response?

Fuck me running!
Scary. I guess the only good thing about the accident is that it happened in an instant and his neck was probably quickly broken. I wouldn't be surprised if he felt no pain.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:13 am
93henfan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:02 am

Fuck me running!
Scary. I guess the only good thing about the accident is that it happened in an instant and his neck was probably quickly broken. I wouldn't be surprised if he felt no pain.
There is a Senna doc on Netflix. It covers the crash and there is speculation that he died from the shrapnel/head injury from the broken suspension before he even hit the wall.

Watched the Shumacher doc. Pretty good. Didn't know much about him other than being an F1 legend. I didn't know he single handedly (ok maybe not, but that's what it felt like) willed Ferrari back to prominence.

Not in the doc as they danced around the topic, but I didn't know he had a skiing accident and that he is basically being kept in a lab at his estate. Kinda fucked up if you ask me.
Last edited by SDHornet on Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:00 pm

phpBB [video]
Agreed.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

BTW 93, do you think Lewis does something like Shumacher did for the final years of his career? Goes to a start-up/crappy team just for the hell of it?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:04 pm
Ibanez wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:13 am
There is a Senna doc on Netflix. It covers the crash and there is speculation that he died from the shrapnel/head injury from the broken suspension before he even hit the wall.

Watched the Shumacher doc. Pretty good. Didn't know much about him other than being an F1 legend. I didn't know he single handedly (ok maybe not, but that's what it felt like) willed Ferrari back to prominence.

Not in the doc as they danced around the topic, but I didn't know he had a skiing accident and that he is basically being kept in a lab at his estate. Kinda fucked up if you ask me.
Ok, so I had my spoiler up there b/c I knew you'd watch it. I didn't want to ruin anything for you.

Yes - that shrapnel cut his artery and was impaled into(just under?) an eye. :shock: I would HOPE that'd kill me...if I wasn't already dead by the tire knocking my head back.

And Mike certainly willed Ferrari back. Its incredible to look at his struggles for 4 years, then he gets the WC in year 5 and after that it's "smooth sailing." The stress of that initial win let him drive better.

I knew he had an accident...I didn't know until after this docu that he was pretty much on ice in a lab. Just let me die at that point.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ferrari hadn't won a championship since 1979 when Schumacher won in 2000. That was a long slump for the NY Yankees of the sport.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:07 pm BTW 93, do you think Lewis does something like Shumacher did for the final years of his career? Goes to a start-up/crappy team just for the hell of it?
Just my :twocents: , but I think Lewis will retire after championship #8. He seems to really enjoy his rock n roll lifestyle off the track. He pretty much has a supermodel or actress he bangs in every major city of the world.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Hamilton said earlier this year that he would retire after this year (he's on a 1-year contract with Merc). Toto implied he wasn't happy with the 1 year term, which further implies that was Hamilton's choice. He's supposed to be continuing his relationship with Merc but with these guys and their egos...I'd almost expect him to end up racing again.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:07 pm Hamilton said earlier this year that he would retire after this year (he's on a 1-year contract with Merc). Toto implied he wasn't happy with the 1 year term, which further implies that was Hamilton's choice. He's supposed to be continuing his relationship with Merc but with these guys and their egos...I'd almost expect him to end up racing again.
Hamilton is signed through 2023.