2021 Motorsports Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Re: 2021 Motorsports Thread

Post by SuperHornet »

Wow. Helio Castroneves just took out Scott Speed. I've never heard of Helio playing games like that before. ROFL.

On the other hand, the resulting caution is scrunching up the field to give second-place Bobby Labonte a chance to pass Ernie Francis, Jr., for the win....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Francis won. Ugh!

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Max ran away with the Austrian GP, but plenty of good mid field action.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

So F1 is going to be using the Sprint style quali for Silverstone this weekend. Could be interesting, but hard to beat the knockout style they use now, although I saw a report stating the sprint style would make more sense for certain circuits.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

SRX ends its relatively short season this weekend with the Battle of the Elliots, as Dad Bill takes on Son Chase. I'm still pulling for Bobby Labonte, though...unless Hailey Deegan shows up again. Someone's gotta get Paul Tracy out of there...he's going out of his way to take people out. SMH....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Just saw that Brad Keselowski is leaving Team Penske; his #2 car will be manned by Austin Cindric. And Matt Dibenedetto has been kicked out of the #21 car; he will be replaced by Harrison Burton. Keselowski has an unspecified opportunity to continue his quest for championships, which ESPN thinks is a part-ownership stake and ride with Roush Fenway Racing. DiBenedetto has yet to find a ride for next season....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/motors ... ar-AAMcjSs

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/stor ... ext-season

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Way way way too late on this but so far, IMO, the Hungarian GP was the best race of the season. Incredible. The crashes, Max going out again, Hamilton being the ONLY car on the grid, Vettel's DQ. Alonso holding back Hamilton long enough to give his teammate, Ocon, P1.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:23 pm
SuperHornet wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:57 am Xfinity driver Brandon Brown is so desperate for sponsors that he's gone into Cal Worthington mode.

"We got quarter panels! We got decklids! We got C-Posts! You can sponsor my rear end!"

https://www.cbssports.com/nascar/news/l ... onsorship/
:ohno: You mean COASTAL CAROLINA ALUM Brandon Brown. And it's obvious it's an ad aimed at gathering attention. It's kitchy.
CCU Alum? Makes sense now why he was looking for a sponsor for his rear end.
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:10 pm
Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:23 pm

:ohno: You mean COASTAL CAROLINA ALUM Brandon Brown. And it's obvious it's an ad aimed at gathering attention. It's kitchy.
CCU Alum? Makes sense now why he was looking for a sponsor for his rear end.
you son of a bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:58 pm Way way way too late on this but so far, IMO, the Hungarian GP was the best race of the season. Incredible. The crashes, Max going out again, Hamilton being the ONLY car on the grid, Vettel's DQ. Alonso holding back Hamilton long enough to give his teammate, Ocon, P1.
It was a good race. I think the Alonso/Hamilton battle was the highlight of the race.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote:
Ibanez wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:58 pm Way way way too late on this but so far, IMO, the Hungarian GP was the best race of the season. Incredible. The crashes, Max going out again, Hamilton being the ONLY car on the grid, Vettel's DQ. Alonso holding back Hamilton long enough to give his teammate, Ocon, P1.
It was a good race. I think the Alonso/Hamilton battle was the highlight of the race.
I was so excited by that. If Hamilton had a few more laps once he overtook Alonso, he would’ve made P1. Ocon capitalized on his luck and drive perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Circuit Zandvoort (Dutch Grand Prix) has to be one of the most photogenic tracks in the world. Not the best racing, but the tight corners and bends and high speeds and close crowds lead to some great sights and sounds.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:07 am Circuit Zandvoort (Dutch Grand Prix) has to be one of the most photogenic tracks in the world. Not the best racing, but the tight corners and bends and high speeds and close crowds lead to some great sights and sounds.
I thought it was a fun race to watch and still plenty of passing even with the tight turns.

Verstappen dominated, surprised me given how close quali's were. Watching Checo tear through the field from a pit lane start was entertaining as well. I usually tune out of F1 when CFB stars, but given the back and forth battle for the title, I think I'll stay tuned in this year.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Max can pretty much put it on cruise now. RedBull is better than MB-AMG this year. The only thing that will stop them is mechanical failure/bad luck or another Hamilton or Bottas wrecking of Max. That's the only thing that has kept Hamilton within 30 points. (and I'm a huge Hamilton fan)

I can only hope that Mercedes took their eye off the 2021 ball a little in focusing on the new platform for 2022. I'd love to see Lewis get #8 and retire. Russell will not play second fiddle for long at Mercedes. I could see another Nico situation developing if Hamilton stays too long.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

That jerk Kyle Busch got what he deserved last night....

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

93henfan wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:01 am Max can pretty much put it on cruise now. RedBull is better than MB-AMG this year. The only thing that will stop them is mechanical failure/bad luck or another Hamilton or Bottas wrecking of Max. That's the only thing that has kept Hamilton within 30 points. (and I'm a huge Hamilton fan)

I can only hope that Mercedes took their eye off the 2021 ball a little in focusing on the new platform for 2022. I'd love to see Lewis get #8 and retire. Russell will not play second fiddle for long at Mercedes. I could see another Nico situation developing if Hamilton stays too long.
There was a chippy ending with Bottas. They boxed hum for a new set or soft tires and told him to not go after the fastest lap...which he did anyways which prompted Hamilton to box so he could get back that one point. :lol:

The announcers were saying the Russell to MB would be announced/finalized this week.

Oh, and then there is the MB not wanting Williams to sign Albon (Red Bull driver) drama as well.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:01 am Max can pretty much put it on cruise now. RedBull is better than MB-AMG this year. The only thing that will stop them is mechanical failure/bad luck or another Hamilton or Bottas wrecking of Max. That's the only thing that has kept Hamilton within 30 points. (and I'm a huge Hamilton fan)

Yup. Texted my friend on Sunday that it's time fore Lewis to handover the crown to Max. Max/Red Bull with that Honda power unit are a dangerous competition. Your 1st paragraph raises an interesting strategy question - will the strategy be for Bottas to antagonize Max enough to let Hamilton concentrate on taking the lead? Will Bottas even do that knowing that he's out at the end of the season?

The Nico/Hamilton comparisons were all around Sunday but I don't see Russell (and let's be serious, he shouldn't) be second fiddle.

And the suspense of who will take Bottas' seat in 2022. :roll: We knew it was Russell...one guy on Twitter was actually trying to make a case for LeClerc. :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:43 pm

There was a chippy ending with Bottas. They boxed hum for a new set or soft tires and told him to not go after the fastest lap...which he did anyways which prompted Hamilton to box so he could get back that one point. :lol:

The announcers were saying the Russell to MB would be announced/finalized this week.

Oh, and then there is the MB not wanting Williams to sign Albon (Red Bull driver) drama as well.
:lol: I laughed at that. It was lap 70 or 71 and Lewis went in. Bottas is out...why would he help Hamilton win? He should keep in mind that right now, MB-AMG still leads Constructors by 12 points...A big part of that is that both him and Lewis are winning podiums more compared to Verstappen and Perez. If they can maintain P2 and P3 (if they can't get P1)...They're almost a lock for the Constructors Cup. :twocents:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

I'll post this here - I think Pierre Gasly is coming into his own. Already he's 1 or 2 races from earning more points than last season, his avg podium this year is P7, or mid-grid, which is where they ended 2020. I'm not sure what his deal was with RedBull but at AT, I feel he's only a season or 2 away from getting to a different team and being really competitive.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:28 am I'll post this here - I think Pierre Gasly is coming into his own. Already he's 1 or 2 races from earning more points than last season, his avg podium this year is P7, or mid-grid, which is where they ended 2020. I'm not sure what his deal was with RedBull but at AT, I feel he's only a season or 2 away from getting to a different team and being really competitive.
I think there's an argument he's the the 3rd best driver this season considering how much he's squeezed out of his car. Fact he's sitting at 8th - with one podium finish - in a freakin' AlphaTauri is a minor miracle. The guy's ahead of three former world champions and a McLaren driver.

He's been my favorite driver since being called up to RBR, (deservedly) getting sent back to AT, then grabbing the insane win in Monza.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:38 am That jerk Kyle Busch got what he deserved last night....
Not following NASCAR anymore, but someone sent me this. Kyle Busch is still an ass.
https://www.sportscasting.com/kyle-busc ... arlington/
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:54 am
SuperHornet wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:38 am That jerk Kyle Busch got what he deserved last night....
Not following NASCAR anymore, but someone sent me this. Kyle Busch is still an ass.
I know the dude's a big name, but NASCAR should legitimately consider revoking his racing license.

Racing is dangerous as-is; there's no reason to add more of it (especially off the track). He could've killed people.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:54 am
That's dangerous, un-professional and should come with consequences.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:55 am
Ibanez wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:28 am I'll post this here - I think Pierre Gasly is coming into his own. Already he's 1 or 2 races from earning more points than last season, his avg podium this year is P7, or mid-grid, which is where they ended 2020. I'm not sure what his deal was with RedBull but at AT, I feel he's only a season or 2 away from getting to a different team and being really competitive.
I think there's an argument he's the the 3rd best driver this season considering how much he's squeezed out of his car. Fact he's sitting at 8th - with one podium finish - in a freakin' AlphaTauri is a minor miracle. The guy's ahead of three former world champions and a McLaren driver.

He's been my favorite driver since being called up to RBR, (deservedly) getting sent back to AT, then grabbing the insane win in Monza.
Here's the problem for Gasly. He's 25 and all the prime seats are already locked in. F1 drivers are typically heading down the back side of their career by 35. No 40+ year old has won the F1 championship in my lifetime. If you're a 7-time champion when you hit 35+ (like Hamilton and Schumacher), you may get signed to another contract with a top-three team. If you only have one, Ferrari is probably letting you go (see Kimi Raikkonen). So, Gasly has, optimistically, ~10 years left in F1.

He's under contract with Red Bull through 2023. Let's say they make him the #2 on the flagship team behind Max. Max is two years younger, and Max isn't yielding his alpha dog status. Hamilton, then Russell, will have Mercedes locked down. And Leclerc will have Ferrari locked down. Let's face it. Those three teams are the only ones that will realistically be challenging for championships in the next ten years. McLaren could maybe enter the conversation at some point, but there you have Norris, who is only 21. :lol:

If any name beside those I just mentioned above (Hamilton, Verstappen, Russell, Leclerc, Norris) win a championship in the next ten seasons (barring a serious injury/death/health concern or a major team pulling out, as Mercedes has been rumored from time to time), I would be really amazed.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:47 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:55 am

Here's the problem for Gasly. He's 25. F1 drivers are typically heading down the back side of their career by 35. No 40+ year old has won the F1 championship in my lifetime. If you're a 7-time champion when you hit 35+ (like Hamilton and Schumacher), you may get signed to another contract with a top-three team. If you only have one, Ferrari is probably letting you go (see Kimi Raikkonen). So, Gasly has, optimistically, ~10 years left in F1.

He's under contract with Red Bull through 2023. Let's say they make him the #2 on the flagship team behind Max. Max is two years younger, and Max isn't yielding his alpha dog status. Hamilton, then Russell, will have Mercedes locked down. And Leclerc will have Ferrari locked down. Let's face it. Those three teams are the only ones that will realistically be challenging for championships in the next ten years. McLaren could maybe enter the conversation at some point, but there you have Norris, who is only 21. :lol:

If any name beside those I just mentioned above (Hamilton, Verstappen, Russell, Leclerc, Norris) win a championship in the next ten seasons (barring a serious injury/death/health concern), I would be really amazed.
Alonso was 24 and 25 when he won in 2005/2006. Vettel's last was when he was 26...you might be on to something