2021 Motorsports Thread

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: 2021 Motorsports Thread

Post by ∞∞∞ »

First two races of the season were great, but Algarve is known as a terrible F1 circuit and it showed. Too few passing opportunities all around, and it was an unfortunate return to the circuit last year. Didn't help F1 was having technical issues with the stream/

The next two - Barcelona and Monaco - are also going to be lacking if history holds true (although Mazepin in Monaco may be hilarious).

IMO, the highlight was Schumacher in the garbage Haas car overtaking Latifi and actually placing above someone who finished the race. The fact that he was able to keep pace in the back all day was amazing, and then to actually overtake someone? Impressive.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:03 am First two races of the season were great, but Algarve is known as a terrible F1 circuit and it showed. Too few passing opportunities all around, and it was an unfortunate return to the circuit last year. Didn't help F1 was having technical issues with the stream/

The next two - Barcelona and Monaco - are also going to be lacking if history holds true (although Mazepin in Monaco may be hilarious).

IMO, the highlight was Schumacher in the garbage Haas car overtaking Latifi and actually placing above someone who finished the race. The fact that he was able to keep pace in the back all day was amazing, and then to actually overtake someone? Impressive.
I've already said it in the group text, but I was honestly shocked with Haas' performance. They just flat out suck. Guenter needs to show some results.

I was NOT surprised to see Hamilton come back and win. Hamilton and Merc are unstoppable. When/if Ham leaves next year (and Russel takes his spot), it'll be nice to see some other team/driver consistently in P1. I think that'll be Verstappen. He gives Merc a run for its money.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Don't be too surprised. Haas straight up said they're not investing anything into this year's car, so the engineering team's hands are tied.

They're putting all their resources into developing next year's car with the new rules. This season is basically a practice for the rookies with the hope of being competitive next season.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:35 am Don't be too surprised. Haas straight up said they're not investing anything into this year's car, so the engineering team's hands are tied.

They're putting all their resources into developing next year's car with the new rules. This season is basically a practice for the rookies with the hope of being competitive next season.
Red Bull is in the same boat given that Honda is out.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Red Bull has significantly more money and sponsorship (Haas has two sponsors). Also while Honda is leaving, they wanted to go out with a bang and went all in to develop a new power unit.

I don't like it, but it makes sense Haas with its very limited resources uses them to develop a (hopefully) competitive car for next year's new rules.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:55 am Red Bull has significantly more money and sponsorship (Haas has two sponsors). Also while Honda is leaving, they wanted to go out with a bang and went all in to develop a new power unit.

I don't like it, but it makes sense Haas with its very limited resources uses them to develop a (hopefully) competitive car for next year's new rules.
That's putting it mildly. :lol: Still - Red Bull is having to develop it's own power unit for 2024(2025?) with the new rules. They have the Honda technology, that's a leg up on others - but they still have to figure it out. I'm confident they will. Red Bull has the money.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Ibanez wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:58 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:03 am First two races of the season were great, but Algarve is known as a terrible F1 circuit and it showed. Too few passing opportunities all around, and it was an unfortunate return to the circuit last year. Didn't help F1 was having technical issues with the stream/

I've already said it in the group text, but I was honestly shocked with Haas' performance. They just flat out suck. Guenter needs to show some results.

I was NOT surprised to see Hamilton come back and win. Hamilton and Merc are unstoppable. When/if Ham leaves next year (and Russel takes his spot), it'll be nice to see some other team/driver consistently in P1. I think that'll be Verstappen. He gives Merc a run for its money.
May have to get some Hamilton cards in the inventory. F1 cards are just coming out.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Grosjean will drive the 2019 title-winning Mercedes W10 in a private test day at Paul Ricard on June 29 as well as completing a series of demonstration laps at the French Grand Prix on June 27.

"I want to jump back in an F1 car because it has been my life and I would like to cross the finish line properly when I finish my career in Formula One," he said at the time. "I don't want it to be over on a bad day."

On hearing the quotes, Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said he would arrange a test for Grosjean and on Wednesday the team followed through on that promise by announcing the opportunity in France.
https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/3139 ... cedes-test

Toto is a good guy. :clap: :clap:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:35 am Don't be too surprised. Haas straight up said they're not investing anything into this year's car, so the engineering team's hands are tied.

Or Haas is cutting its losses and is done with F1. I guess time will tell.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Mercedes completely fell apart at Monaco today, and Red Bull Racing/Max Verstappen now lead in points. With Leclerc's gearbox issue and Bottas' disaster of a pit stop, along with Aston Martin's masterful race strategy, I thought this Monaco GP was a bit more exciting than usual.

Pretty cool to see Lando Norris and the gorgeous Gulf McLaren make a podium finish too.

Didn't watch, but saw that Paretta Autosports qualified for the Indy 500. 70% of the team is made up of women, a first for IndyCar. I wouldn't be surprised if this a first for any event run by a top-tier motorsport series.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:20 pm Mercedes completely fell apart at Monaco today, and Red Bull Racing/Max Verstappen now lead in points. With Leclerc's gearbox issue and Bottas' disaster of a pit stop, along with Aston Martin's masterful race strategy, I thought this Monaco GP was a bit more exciting than usual.

Pretty cool to see Lando Norris and the gorgeous Gulf McLaren make a podium finish too.

Didn't watch, but saw that Paretta Autosports qualified for the Indy 500. 70% of the team is made up of women, a first for IndyCar. I wouldn't be surprised if this a first for any event run by a top-tier motorsport series.
Monaco is a bit of a boring track, IMO. The only overtaking is either at start, to avoid a crash, coming from the pit or when you get lapped. Otherwise it's 78 laps of the same. I know it's the "crown jewel" but it just doesn't get me excited.

The tyre strategy was crucial and I think that screwed teams like Mercedes - you could hear Hamilton's frustration wit it.

Bottas must be livid that the nut was machined to the axle. I would be - I can only imagine how upset that pit crew felt.

It was good to see someone other than Mercedes lead the points and for Norris to get a podium. I was happy to see Gasly lead Hamilton for the majority of the race.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Ibanez wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:42 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:20 pm Mercedes completely fell apart at Monaco today, and Red Bull Racing/Max Verstappen now lead in points. With Leclerc's gearbox issue and Bottas' disaster of a pit stop, along with Aston Martin's masterful race strategy, I thought this Monaco GP was a bit more exciting than usual.

Monaco is a bit of a boring track, IMO. The only overtaking is either at start, to avoid a crash, coming from the pit or when you get lapped. Otherwise it's 78 laps of the same. I know it's the "crown jewel" but it just doesn't get me excited.

The tyre strategy was crucial and I think that screwed teams like Mercedes - you could hear Hamilton's frustration wit it.

Bottas must be livid that the nut was machined to the axle. I would be - I can only imagine how upset that pit crew felt.

It was good to see someone other than Mercedes lead the points and for Norris to get a podium. I was happy to see Gasly lead Hamilton for the majority of the race.
Yup. The Quali was cool since it had LeClerc's crash on the last lap. Sucks for Bottas in the pit, he seems to have the shittiest luck. The Mexican would have taken 3rd if passing was allowed in Monaco.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Formula 1 outgrew Monaco quite a bit ago and I low-key wish it wasn't part of the schedule anymore, but I get the pomp and circumstance.

That said, Formula E proved it's still a fantastic track with smaller and less powerful cars.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:28 pm

Formula 1 outgrew Monaco quite a bit ago and I low-key wish it wasn't part of the schedule anymore, but I get the pomp and circumstance.

That said, Formula E proved it's still a fantastic track with smaller and less powerful cars.
Agreed. The cars are too big and too fast. There was a stat that one guy won the Grand Prix with an avg speed of 60mph. Max's avg speed on Sunday was about 160mph. :lol: They could re-design it to include a straight away where the possibility for an overtake exists and that would make it more interesting. Essentially - you are going to finish the race where ever you started.

I really feel for Leclerc - he would've won his home Grand Prix.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Naturally, I was rooting for Di Silvestro, but I'm happy Castroneves won. He's always been a good guy. NOT happy Kyle Larson won the Coke 600, though....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:03 pm Naturally, I was rooting for Di Silvestro, but I'm happy Castroneves won. He's always been a good guy. NOT happy Kyle Larson won the Coke 600, though....
Isn't that the chic that spun out right before her pit box? :lol:

Best part was Danica talking her up about 5 minutes before the spin out. :rofl:
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

And the Mexican comes through in Baku! Fun race to watch.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Just heard that Landon Cassill just pulled off what former Chiefs TE Sean Culkin wanted to do: Cassill's NASCAR salary for Nashville has been converted to Litecoin and other cryptocurrencies. Dude is insane, IMO....

:ohno:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/landon-c ... 00769.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Xfinity driver Brandon Brown is so desperate for sponsors that he's gone into Cal Worthington mode.

"We got quarter panels! We got decklids! We got C-Posts! You can sponsor my rear end!"

https://www.cbssports.com/nascar/news/l ... onsorship/

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Helluva French GP. Helluva Formula 1 season so far.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:29 am Helluva French GP. Helluva Formula 1 season so far.
That was good. The Verstappen undercut flipped the whole race on its head. The Mexican being in the thick of it took Merc's choice of a 2 stop race out of the question. Merc is falling apart under the pressure, amazing what a good 2nd driver for Red Bull has done.

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

SuperHornet wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:57 am Xfinity driver Brandon Brown is so desperate for sponsors that he's gone into Cal Worthington mode.

"We got quarter panels! We got decklids! We got C-Posts! You can sponsor my rear end!"

https://www.cbssports.com/nascar/news/l ... onsorship/
:ohno: You mean COASTAL CAROLINA ALUM Brandon Brown. And it's obvious it's an ad aimed at gathering attention. It's kitchy.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

I'm no fan of Kyle Larson, but what just happened to him just whomps. He was ONE TURN from winning his fourth straight race, something only 7 or 8 have ever done (and of those, only Harry Gant is NOT in the Hall of Fame), when he got a flat tire, hit the wall, and finished 9th.

Cray cray....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

SRX Owner/Eldora track owner Tony Stewart won the SRX race tonight for the second week in a row. This was also the second dirt track race in a row (a 1/4-mile track, I think). Near the end, Paul Tracy took out Bobby Labonte in a battle for third place. Labonte's car was toast after that, as the hood was completely ripped off. Bill Elliott also DNFed.

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Finally watched the F1 replay. A bad pit stop cost the Mexican a podium. :x