MLB 2021 Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: MLB 2021 Season

Post by GannonFan »

AshevilleApp wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:23 pm Anyone else sensing an impending Braves choke job?
I just automatically sense that whenever the Braves are playing. The fact they've gotten as far as they have already is amazing.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

AshevilleApp wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:23 pm Anyone else sensing an impending Braves choke job?
Glad I didn't bet on my hunch! :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Glad to see Freddie Freeman finally get a ring.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

7-0 Game! Good for the Braves. It's been nearly 30 years. Like Ivy said...happy to see Freddie get a ring.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

I knew Houston had blown it as soon as they made their first pitching change. I almost thought Atlanta was going to give it right back to them when they yanked the starter after six, but the Braves' bullpen actually got the job done. Eight pitchers in one nine-inning game is a sure sign that you're going to lose....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

I hate “bullpen games.” Hate them. But in the age of “analytics” and the coddling of pitchers, they may be here to stay.

If the DH comes to the NL, I’m out.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:12 am I hate “bullpen games.” Hate them. But in the age of “analytics” and the coddling of pitchers, they may be here to stay.

The DH was the beginning of the end. For the most part, it eliminated the end-of-game double-switches that make NL games so interesting. Sure, there's always the AL "last move" (subbing the DH into the lineup, and having the current pitcher bat in place of the player who came out), but one doesn't see that happen very often. There's nothing in the rules that says an AL manager HAS to use a DH, but they seem to think there is, and outside of Shohei Ohtani, the only times an AL team goes without a DH is by mistake. They don't even have the rule written right, as it ASSUMES that ALL pitchers have no hitting ability whatsoever. There's no legit reason why a .300-hitting pitcher traded from the NL to the AL should have to sit so a Mendoza-line-hitting shortstop in the lineup only for his glove can strike out for the zillionth time....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:12 am I hate “bullpen games.” Hate them. But in the age of “analytics” and the coddling of pitchers, they may be here to stay.

Baseball is hard to watch. It's more of an experience, hanging out at the ballpark, getting food, enjoying the ambience on a warm summer day or night. The baseball tends to be just part of the scenery. I couldn't imagine going to a game before June 1st (weather) and would only go to a cold game in the fall if it was a playoff game - at least those games still have some juice to them. But yes, the bullpen games just make it worse.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:39 am

Baseball is hard to watch. It's more of an experience, hanging out at the ballpark, getting food, enjoying the ambience on a warm summer day or night. The baseball tends to be just part of the scenery. I couldn't imagine going to a game before June 1st (weather) and would only go to a cold game in the fall if it was a playoff game - at least those games still have some juice to them. But yes, the bullpen games just make it worse.
A baseball stadium is essentially a large beer garden'.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Tigers trade for a catcher early in the off-season. Next up, a shortstop and starting pitcher (or two).
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Good to see Bryce Harper get the NL MVP.

Will AL winner Ohtani prove to be a flash in the pan? All the glowing articles about his hitting overlook that he batted only .257 and whiffed 189 times. I was more impressed by his pitching, frankly. Not sure how long his two-way schtick will last.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:39 am Good to see Bryce Harper get the NL MVP.

Will AL winner Ohtani prove to be a flash in the pan? All the glowing articles about his hitting overlook that he batted only .257 and whiffed 189 times. I was more impressed by his pitching, frankly. Not sure how long his two-way schtick will last.
It's common for power hitters to have poor batting averages. For example, Reggie Jackson hit 563 homers, but batted only .262. He's in the Hall. My beloved Johnny Bench hit 389 homers, but averaged .267. He's also in the Hall as the greatest catcher who ever lived. Other examples are Harmon Killebrew (573 HR, .256 BA, the lowest ever to make HOF), Andruw Jones (434 HR, .254 BA, 5x All Star), Graig Nettles (390 HR, .248 BA, 6x All Star), Darrell Evans (414 HR, .248 BA, 2x All Star), Curtis Granderson (344 HR, .249 BA, 3x All Star, Silver Slugger), and Darryl Strawberry (335 HR, .259 BA, ROY, 2x Silver Slugger, 8x All Star).

Of course, the ultimate counter-example to that is the legendary George Ruth himself, who hit 714 home runs while averaging .342. He even came close to winning the 1924 Triple Crown, leading HRs and batting average, but falling short with 124 RBI (he tied for second with teammate Bob Meusel, five short of the Senators' Goose Goslin). Ruth also claims an MVP, 2x All Star (would have been more, but the ASG didn't exist for most of his career), a batting title and an ERA title.

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:39 am Will AL winner Ohtani prove to be a flash in the pan? All the glowing articles about his hitting overlook that he batted only .257 and whiffed 189 times. I was more impressed by his pitching, frankly. Not sure how long his two-way schtick will last.
He's a power hitter, he strikes out a lot. Third in HR, fourth in MLB in SLG, fifth in OPS.

46 HR, 100 RBI, 26 SB >>>> .257 and 189 SO
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

89Hen wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:08 am
Ivytalk wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:39 am Will AL winner Ohtani prove to be a flash in the pan? All the glowing articles about his hitting overlook that he batted only .257 and whiffed 189 times. I was more impressed by his pitching, frankly. Not sure how long his two-way schtick will last.
He's a power hitter, he strikes out a lot. Third in HR, fourth in MLB in SLG, fifth in OPS.

Check in again this time next year. We’ll see if he’s a one-year wonder.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:27 pm
89Hen wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:08 am

Check in again this time next year. We’ll see if he’s a one-year wonder.
He may be, but what a hell of a one-year wonder. One we haven't seen in our lifetimes Ivy. He harkens back to the 1930's.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:04 am
Ivytalk wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:39 am Good to see Bryce Harper get the NL MVP.

It's common for power hitters to have poor batting averages. For example, Reggie Jackson hit 563 homers, but batted only .262. He's in the Hall. My beloved Johnny Bench hit 389 homers, but averaged .267. He's also in the Hall as the greatest catcher who ever lived. Other examples are Harmon Killebrew (573 HR, .256 BA, the lowest ever to make HOF), Andruw Jones (434 HR, .254 BA, 5x All Star), Graig Nettles (390 HR, .248 BA, 6x All Star), Darrell Evans (414 HR, .248 BA, 2x All Star), Curtis Granderson (344 HR, .249 BA, 3x All Star, Silver Slugger), and Darryl Strawberry (335 HR, .259 BA, ROY, 2x Silver Slugger, 8x All Star).

Of course, the ultimate counter-example to that is the legendary George Ruth himself, who hit 714 home runs while averaging .342. He even came close to winning the 1924 Triple Crown, leading HRs and batting average, but falling short with 124 RBI (he tied for second with teammate Bob Meusel, five short of the Senators' Goose Goslin). Ruth also claims an MVP, 2x All Star (would have been more, but the ASG didn't exist for most of his career), a batting title and an ERA title.
Best catcher of all time, has a higher recorded career average than Ty Cobb, and is presumed to have hit over 800 home runs. Josh Gibson has a .374 lifetime average, but does not have the 3000 plate appearances needed for the official record, Gibson is a 2511 as records are still being researched.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

We have our lockout! Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?