MLB 2021 Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Re: MLB 2021 Season

Post by AshevilleApp »

Gil Dobie wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:32 pm
AshevilleApp wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:44 pm A question for Flaggy or others. Detroit won a game 1-0 today, with the only run being a 1st inning home run. The Tigers starter went 3 innings and the first reliever went 2 innings. The reliever got the win. Could that be because the starter may have left multiple people on base in the 4th inning? I'm not sure that he did, but I can't see any other reasons. Thanks.
Starter must go 5 innings to get the win. Scorer determines best pitcher after that, for the win.
:thumb:
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:44 pm A question for Flaggy or others. Detroit won a game 1-0 today, with the only run being a 1st inning home run. The Tigers starter went 3 innings and the first reliever went 2 innings. The reliever got the win. Could that be because the starter may have left multiple people on base in the 4th inning? I'm not sure that he did, but I can't see any other reasons. Thanks.
Starter must go 5 innings to get the win. Scorer determines best pitcher after that, for the win.
Except for the All-Star Game. I'm not sure why that is.

But if memory serves, it's not the scorer determining "best pitcher." I think it's the pitcher officially in the game when the winning run is scored when s/he's a reliever....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

SuperHornet wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:25 am

But if memory serves, it's not the scorer determining "best pitcher." I think it's the pitcher officially in the game when the winning run is scored when s/he's a reliever....
Usually, that’s the case. But Gil is right: if the pitcher in the game when the winning run scores doesn’t do well, and his successor does, the scorer has the discretion to award the win to another reliever.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Ivytalk wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:25 am
SuperHornet wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:25 am

Usually, that’s the case. But Gil is right: if the pitcher in the game when the winning run scores doesn’t do well, and his successor does, the scorer has the discretion to award the win to another reliever.
Sounds like you mean that a team is, say, up by 10 with Pitcher A, who gives up 9 before he's relieved, and the next guy puts out the fire. In THAT case, the follow-on guy gets the win? Is that it?

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:04 am
Ivytalk wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:25 am

Sounds like you mean that a team is, say, up by 10 with Pitcher A, who gives up 9 before he's relieved, and the next guy puts out the fire. In THAT case, the follow-on guy gets the win? Is that it?
If you’re asking whether a starter who is staked to an early 10-run lead, gives 9 runs back, and is relieved in the 6th or 7th inning by a guy who puts out the fire, my gut reaction is that the starter will get the W and the reliever will get a save. But the scorer may still have some discretion there to give the win (but not a save) to the reliever. I’d have to check the rules. :rule:
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Tampa gets Nelson Cruz and a minor leaguer from Minnesota for two Triple A pitching prospects.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/318 ... ources-say
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Four wild pitches in the 10th doom the Yankees to yet another loss, and gets the reliever in question shipped to AAA....

:rofl:

https://news.yahoo.com/yanks-reliever-t ... p_catchall

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:32 am Four wild pitches in the 10th doom the Yankees to yet another loss, and gets the reliever in question shipped to AAA....

Boston now 9-2 against the Yankmes this season.

Anyone seen JoltinJoe lately?
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

The Cleveland Guardians!
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

AshevilleApp wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:47 am The Cleveland Guardians!
The Cleveland Spiders would have been better (not by much, but better), though that was a different franchise. I'd love to see Charlotte as a mascot!

AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

History was made in Minneapolis last night! The catchers from both teams hit grand slams in the same game. You can now add Mitch Garver and Eric Haase to your list of baseball titans.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ivytalk wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:52 am
SuperHornet wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:32 am Four wild pitches in the 10th doom the Yankees to yet another loss, and gets the reliever in question shipped to AAA....

I live for his daily Yankee rants on Facebook.
:thumb:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

dbackjon wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:04 pm
Ivytalk wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:52 am

I live for his daily Yankee rants on Facebook.
JoltinJoe: Pinstripe Truther!
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Sounds like Max Scherzer is going on the blocks.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

89Hen wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:10 am Sounds like Max Scherzer is going on the blocks.
Eight teams seem to want him. One is the Trolley Dodgers, who also want reliever Daniel Hudson.

That said, I can't see why Washington would do this depleting trade. They're only 8 games out of first....

This would be an earth-shaking trade....

https://www.aol.com/dodgers-reportedly- ... 06322.html

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

SuperHornet wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:05 am
89Hen wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:10 am Sounds like Max Scherzer is going on the blocks.
Eight teams seem to want him. One is the Trolley Dodgers, who also want reliever Daniel Hudson.

That said, I can't see why Washington would do this depleting trade. They're only 8 games out of first....

This would be an earth-shaking trade....
They aren't going anywhere this season and their farm system is in shambles. I love Max, but he hasn't been close to himself for the last year.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

So who would the Dodgers give up?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Ivytalk wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:17 am So who would the Dodgers give up?
Prospects and picks is my guess.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

And they can re-sign Max in the offseason.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Scherzer and Turner to the Dodgers, Hudson to the Padres and Schwarber to the Red Sox. Welcome to last place for a couple years. I feel bad for Juan Soto at this point.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

One of my FB friends is now saying Scherzer to the Pads. They might have to give up too much to get him....

SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Per Pads FB, Hudson to Pads is now offical....

Per USA Today, the LAD and BOS deals are still in the works, but not official yet....

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-trade-dead ... p_catchall

AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AshevilleApp »

Miguel Cabrera had two hits, including home run #498, against Boston last night. He also passed Frank Robinson with his 2,944th hit. This has been fun.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet

Post by SuperHornet »

Looks like the Scherzer trade became official, and he did allegedly wonders in his Dodgers debut (I don't particularly consider giving up five hits and two earned runs in seven innings all that appetizing; seems rather pedestrian to me). They got Scherzer and Turner in return for four minor leaguers, including Keibert Ruiz and Josiah Gray.

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Phillies sweep the sinking Nats and are now half a game behind the flailing Mutts. :mrgreen: