MLB 2021 Season

All other sports including pro, high school and more!
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Re: MLB 2021 Season

Post by GannonFan »

Gil Dobie wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:20 am
GannonFan wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:30 am

Well, if you haven't been there I'm not sure how you can really have an opinion one way or the other. Place is just gorgeous for a night game. Game starts with the sun setting over the mountains, and then once it's night time (and everyone is there) the place is great to watch a baseball game in. And with every level of the stadium having it's own entrance and concourse, it's easy to go back and forth from your seat for food/beverage/etc. And the view of the LA skyline is pretty good as well. Put all that together with really nice weather all the time and it's a great experience. Definitely has to be experienced, though, pictures don't do it justice. It's like baseball's version of the Rose Bowl.
I haven't been to a baseball stadium that I didn't like, and I've been to Oakland and the Metrodome. Outdoor games at night are great, except when it rains and you get home at 2am. Even then it's a good memory.
Go to Cincinnati, I didn't like that ball park at all. Only positive was that, even for a downtown park, it wasn't all that hard to park. Skydome, or whatever they call it now up in Toronto, wasn't terribly great either.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:02 am
I can't comprehend the love for Dodger Stadium. I have never been there but, from watching games and looking at pictures, I just don't get the appeal.
Well, if you haven't been there I'm not sure how you can really have an opinion one way or the other. Place is just gorgeous for a night game. Game starts with the sun setting over the mountains, and then once it's night time (and everyone is there) the place is great to watch a baseball game in. And with every level of the stadium having it's own entrance and concourse, it's easy to go back and forth from your seat for food/beverage/etc. And the view of the LA skyline is pretty good as well. Put all that together with really nice weather all the time and it's a great experience. Definitely has to be experienced, though, pictures don't do it justice. It's like baseball's version of the Rose Bowl.
View of LA skyline? Don't you have to be in a shitty seat to see that since it is behind home plate?
There are a few elements I like about Dodger Stadium. One is the low walls along the foul lines and outfield near the foul poles. Not a fan of the yellow seats. I like the mini roof along the top of the stadium even though it doesn't have any architectural appeal. The exterior of the stadium seems to be a hodgepodge of shit.
Can you walk around the entire stadium once you are inside? Not sure if you can go to the bleachers from the main seats since there are gaps in the corners where the bullpens are.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CAA Flagship wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:21 am

View of LA skyline? Don't you have to be in a shitty seat to see that since it is behind home plate?
There are a few elements I like about Dodger Stadium. One is the low walls along the foul lines and outfield near the foul poles. Not a fan of the yellow seats. I like the mini roof along the top of the stadium even though it doesn't have any architectural appeal. The exterior of the stadium seems to be a hodgepodge of shit.
Can you walk around the entire stadium once you are inside? Not sure if you can go to the bleachers from the main seats since there are gaps in the corners where the bullpens are.
I meant seeing the skyline when you walk onto the concourse. No, I don't think you can walk around the entire stadium, each level has their own entrance (it's built into a hill). I find I don't really like walking around stadiums anymore - I'm more of a eat at a restaurant at the stadium an hour or so before gametime, get to my seat well before the first pitch, and get a snack later in the game. That works for me. Like I said, you have to be in the stadium to really judge it, just not seeing it on tv. Heck, I'm in the minority of people that don't really like Camden Yards (slope of the seats on the bottom level, along with the chairs being angled to the outfield, make watching a game there almost like watching a football game in W&M's stadium - hard to see well enough).
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:28 am

I've never disliked the Dodgers like I do the Yankees. Don't know why - I do like they're white uniforms and Dodger Stadium is #1 on my list of stadiums, so maybe that. I've actually grown to dislike the Cardinals over the years (despite also liking their uniforms) - I think it started when Scott Rolen went there, never liked him either.

No real rooting favorite for me left in the playoffs, although I would find the Astros doing well in the playoffs to make for great theater as the team everyone loves to hate due to their past cheating. Although, considering the drop-off in so many pitcher's performances after they started cracking down on foreign substances, apparently most everyone else was cheating right along with the Astros. Ah, baseball. :rofl:
I can't comprehend the love for Dodger Stadium. I have never been there but, from watching games and looking at pictures, I just don't get the appeal.
Dodger stadium is the mecca. Plain and simple. Before you cast dispersions, you need to go and take in a night game. Sit behind the plate. Eat a Dodger Dog. I've been to over a dozen stadiums, and there's none other like it. GF said it better...
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

AZGrizFan wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:52 pm
Dodger stadium is the mecca. Plain and simple. Before you cast dispersions, you need to go and take in a night game. Sit behind the plate. Eat a Dodger Dog. I've been to over a dozen stadiums, and there's none other like it. GF said it better...
My son went to a game there a couple of years ago during our nephew’s bachelor party weekend. He’s a baseball junkie anyway, and he says it’s the best ballpark around. He also says that Dodger fans are incredible assholes.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Ivytalk wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:24 am

My son went to a game there a couple of years ago during our nephew’s bachelor party weekend. He’s a baseball junkie anyway, and he says it’s the best ballpark around. He also says that Dodger fans are incredible assholes.
I've only been there once and I didn't sit out in the bleachers and I made sure to park in a well lit area. Fans were fine where I was, but I was also not rooting for the Giants or the Astros (we were there for a Dodgers/Astros game so certainly some juice in the building). But there are certainly plenty of stories of Dodgers fans not being very nice.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Coming from a Philly fan that’s saying something. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:45 am

LA's one of those places that could out-Philly Philly. We get by on reputation, LA really backs it up.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:48 am

LA's one of those places that could out-Philly Philly. We get by on reputation, LA really backs it up.
Funny. As a lifelong Dodgers fan, I’ve never had an issue there. Wonder why? :coffee: :coffee:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:35 pm
GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:48 am

Funny. As a lifelong Dodgers fan, I’ve never had an issue there. Wonder why? :coffee: :coffee:
Because the home fans never really have a problem at home. Most Philly fans think Philly stadiums are great and wholesome. But we tend not to wear opposing teams jerseys into the place so that could be a reason.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:08 pm
AZGrizFan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:35 pm

Because the home fans never really have a problem at home. Most Philly fans think Philly stadiums are great and wholesome. But we tend not to wear opposing teams jerseys into the place so that could be a reason.
Yes….it was more of a rhetorical question…. :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Arrive late, leave early, don’t care about the game, look for celebs. That sums up the LA fan base.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Well, so far I'm perfect...in terms of who wins each series. I'm a bit out for the Divisional Series, because I thought EVERY round was 7 games save for the Wild Card. But even there, I'm close. I had LA-SF going the distance, and it is, while I had ATL-MIL one game short, and it was. In the AL, I had HOU-CHI two games short of distance (which could only happen in a 5-game series with a sweep), and it was one short. The big problem was BOS-TB, which I had as a sweep; while it DID go 4 games (as I said), it was NOT a sweep. Pretty close, though.

Why can't I be this close for football, which I follow a whole lot more closely than baseball? I hardly even watch baseball anymore because of the stupid changes it's gone through....

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SuperHornet wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:48 am Why can't I be this close for football
What do you mean? 11-0 is still in play for SacSt.
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Just looked at that controversial call that ended the SF-LA NLDS. From the perspective of the camera, it was a horrendously bad call. The guy's wrists weren't even close to breaking. I'd like to see it from a first base perspective. If THAT view is essentially the same as the one I saw, though, that ump deserves to be fired.

While that call ended the game in the direction I'd predicted, like many fans today on both ends of the equally controversial Cali Bullet Train, I'd MUCH rather a less controversial call ended it....

https://sports.yahoo.com/cody-bellinger ... 17074.html

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:51 am that ump deserves to be fired.
:suspicious:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

SuperHornet wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:51 am Just looked at that controversial call that ended the SF-LA NLDS. From the perspective of the camera, it was a horrendously bad call. The guy's wrists weren't even close to breaking. I'd like to see it from a first base perspective. If THAT view is essentially the same as the one I saw, though, that ump deserves to be fired.

While that call ended the game in the direction I'd predicted, like many fans today on both ends of the equally controversial Cali Bullet Train, I'd MUCH rather a less controversial call ended it....

As far as I know, there is no real definition in the rules of baseball as to what constitutes a "swing". Has nothing to do with wrists.
If I had to provide a rule, I would set it at whether a ball would surely end up in fair territory if the ball hit the bat. That bat seemed to be very close to perpendicular with the path of the pitch. I could be swayed for a different definition such as the bat crossing the front of the plate, or something else. But a perpendicular bat is no different than a bunting stance.
tribe_pride
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: W&M

Post by tribe_pride »

Yeah. I've heard that interpretation (since no formal rule) is passing the plate but I assume it is each to their own. The 1st base umpire is so far away that it can be tough to see that even if looking closely. That did not look like a swing to me though.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

So...is MLB going to pull the World Series away from Atlanta? :suspicious:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Baldy wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:36 am So...is MLB going to pull the World Series away from Atlanta? :suspicious:
I really like these Braves. I hope they beat Houston in the Series. When was the last time Hotlanta won a championship in any sport?
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

Ivytalk wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:42 am
Baldy wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:36 am So...is MLB going to pull the World Series away from Atlanta? :suspicious:
I really like these Braves. I hope they beat Houston in the Series. When was the last time Hotlanta won a championship in any sport?
Atlanta United won the MLS Cup in 2018, but I don't think that counts. :mrgreen:
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

CAA Flagship wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:07 am
SuperHornet wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:51 am Just looked at that controversial call that ended the SF-LA NLDS. From the perspective of the camera, it was a horrendously bad call. The guy's wrists weren't even close to breaking. I'd like to see it from a first base perspective. If THAT view is essentially the same as the one I saw, though, that ump deserves to be fired.

As far as I know, there is no real definition in the rules of baseball as to what constitutes a "swing". Has nothing to do with wrists.
If I had to provide a rule, I would set it at whether a ball would surely end up in fair territory if the ball hit the bat. That bat seemed to be very close to perpendicular with the path of the pitch. I could be swayed for a different definition such as the bat crossing the front of the plate, or something else. But a perpendicular bat is no different than a bunting stance.
I've always understood it as the bat crossing the plate. Nearly every slow motion reply, they ask the question, did the bat cross the plate?
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can see the MLB offices head honchos now…..

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AshevilleApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU
A.K.A.: AshevilleApp2

Post by AshevilleApp »

Anyone else sensing an impending Braves choke job?